Author Topic: Planning to Visit Arunachala  (Read 4774 times)

jshashiv

• View Profile
Planning to Visit Arunachala
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:24:32 AM »
Namastey,

I heard of Sri Bhagwan Ramana Maharsri from many years but never got chance to listen his teaching.  From the blessing of my guru Sri Sri Sri Sundara Chaitanyananda who recently released the CD on Upadesaram . From that day,  I want to visit Bhagawan ramana Ashram and Arunachala temple.

I m from Hyderabad planning to visit next month.   Can you please help on the below questions

1)I heard that Karthigai Deepam is a 10 day festival. I m Planning so stay atleast 1 day aand attend the festival. When is the Karthigai Deepam starting , When would be best day for me to visit

2) Do we normally do  giripradshinam and then visit the temple ? When is best time to start ?

3) As I m planning in November, Do I need to book hotel before ?

4) As I m first time  visiting Tamil Nadu , What are the others devotional places/temples  near which I can visit ? Please suggest ? and How will be transport facitlty from temple place

5) Travel from Hyderabad, I heard of kesini buses mentioned in the forms. Any other package tours available so I can visit some more temples nearby.

Regards,
Shashi

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Planning to Visit Arunachala
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

Dear shiva,

1. You can visit Asramam and Temple in the month of November.  The Kartigai Deepm festival commences on 7th Nov. and the
ends on 17th Nov.  On 17th, the temple authorities light the Holy Beacon on the Hill.  That day will also be a full moon day.
Three or four days before and after the Mahadeeapm, there will be hectic crowd.  No hotel accommodation will be available.
In the Asramam also, the guest rooms will have been booked in advance.  So I suggest you start, say on the 5th day after
Mahadeepam, i.e. 17th Nov.  You can get accommodation in the hotels. Asramam guest rooms have to be booked three months
before the date(s) of stay. 

2. The giri pradkashinam can be done either before or after visiting the Temple.  No harm.  However, one should do giri
pradakshinam starting at 6.00 a.m. after bath, to avoid crowd and sunny weather.  Temple can be visited between 6 am
to 11.30 p.m.

3. From Hyderabad, one can choose a volvo bus and come to Tiruvannamalai/Chennai. From Chennai you can engage a
taxi and come to Tiruvannamalai.  Only one way.   They charge about Rs. 2500.00.

4.  The Asramam is open for darsan right from 7.00 am to 12.00 Noon.  The book stall is open from 8.00 a.m. to 11.00 am.

5. One can take food in the Asramam only when you are a guest room resident. Only on Mahadeeapam day, the dining is
open to all. 

6.  Nearby, there are not many great places.  You can perhaps visit Trivikrama Temple (Vishnu) which is about 30 kms.

7. Again climbing the Hill to visit Skandasramam and Virupaksha Cave, you have to start at 7.00 am to avoid heat. 
These places can be seen on the Hill with a help of a guide or some known person who knows the routes.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
Dear jshashiv,

If you are planning to go in Volvo, there is a direct bus to Tiruvannamalai from Gachibowli. It saves lot of time when it is compared with other modes of land transport. It is the only direct bus from Hyd, so it will save lot of time rather than going in a connect transport.

Bus may start at 6.30 in the evening & u may reach Tiruvannamali bustand at 3.30 or 4.00 AM. Ramana Ashramamam is aprox 3-4 Kms from the bustand.

If you go in train, 12-13 hrs gets wasted in journey to Chennai & from there 5-6 hrs to Tiru in bus, which is very hectic.
If you fly, it takes 1 hr 30 min's to reach Chennai & from there you may travel in bus or a cab to reach Tiru

I suggest Volvo "only" if you are used to travelling in bus

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!

jshashiv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
Namastey,

Thanks for your replies. It will definitely help me.

Regards,
Shashi

drbalajipsy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
The Karthigai Deepam festival is on 17th Novemeber.
The beacon is lit for ten days before that? Or after that?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »
Dear drbalajipsy,

The beacon on the Hill is lit on the Deepam day i.e. on 17th November, 2013.

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »
Deepam programme
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »
Namaste drbalajipsy:

The Karthigai Deepam will be lit on Nov 17th this year. However it will be lit every evening for 8 or 10 or 13  days AFTER Nov 17th as well.  The number of days is decided by the priests at the Arunachaleswarar temple through some calculation.

But 10 days BEFORE Nov 17th is the preparatory phase where in we clean our homes, our hearts, mend our relationships with family, friends and neighbours. If we have been cruel to animals or nature, we first acknowledge that, ask Arunachala for forgiveness and pray for guidance to mend our ways.   It is a time for intense spirtual practice to burn off the dross in us in preparation for the arrival of Lord Arunachala.  He never really left us because he is in every cell of our bodies but for our little minds, we bid good by to him after the 10 days of Karthigai Deepam and welcome him back on Deepam the next year.

I have sent you some info by email. Hope it is of help to you.

Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:39:13 PM by Child of Arunachala »

parapara

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »
Hari Om!

I am trying to find the accommodation for 16/17th Nov from past 1 week, but most of them are telling its booked and few others are asking 4 to 6K for Single Non AC rooms.

I would like to know if there is any place I can just take bath and a clock room to keep my baggage?

Please help.

drbalajipsy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
What is the average footfall during Maha Deepam?

Read in the newspapers that there will be nine temporary bus-stands at the outskirts of Tiruvannamalai.
There may be cloak rooms too. Someone local to TV Malai may help us with this information.

Those from Chennai, Puducherry, Vellore etc will travel to & fro without staying.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
What is the average footfall during Maha Deepam?

Read in the newspapers that there will be nine temporary bus-stands at the outskirts of Tiruvannamalai.
There may be cloak rooms too. Someone local to TV Malai may help us with this information.

Those from Chennai, Puducherry, Vellore etc will travel to & fro without staying.

There are lot of temporary bathing and dress changing mini rest rooms that will be seen for Deepam festival. 

But the problem is that you may not expect hygiene of upper middle class standards.

And I agree the rates nowadays are very high.

Best is to stay in Krishnagiri and come by bus.  I am missing all this sitting somewhere else.

My lack of devotion has to be blamed, that is why I am so away.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

Your last sentence.  Do not indulge in self-pity. Sri Bhagavan's Grace because He is the Self knows no distance. It is beyond
distance and time. Swami Ramanagiri and others have obtained His Grace from far off places and also attained mukti.
Sri Bhagavan is all pervading Self, eternal and infinite. 

Arunachala Siva.