Author Topic: reading the commentaries is sometimes misleading  (Read 1039 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
reading the commentaries is sometimes misleading
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:53:08 AM »
Dear all,

I have observed this with sage Thayumanavar's works and that of sri Bhagavan too.

When we read their main works,  it is better to first read the original verse followed by the meaning called Porul.  The Porul will be a exact line by line translation of original verse.  Once we understand the porul,  one should safely go to next verse.

The commentaries people write are mixed with their own opinion and understanding.   it may not tally with our inclinations.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: reading the commentaries is sometimes misleading
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
Krishna(ksksat)
Yes.This is what Rakhal maharaj(Swami Brahmananda,spiritual son of Sri Ramakrishna)advised one of his disciples -to read the Bhagavad gita without any commentary.The devotional approach (and not the intellectual one),the openness and receptivity allows the words of the Great ones to suddenly leap and grab one and reveal their true spirit.No intermediary is needed.
Namaskar

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: reading the commentaries is sometimes misleading
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
Krishna(ksksat)
Yes.This is what Rakhal maharaj(Swami Brahmananda,spiritual son of Sri Ramakrishna)advised one of his disciples -to read the Bhagavad gita without any commentary.The devotional approach (and not the intellectual one),the openness and receptivity allows the words of the Great ones to suddenly leap and grab one and reveal their true spirit.No intermediary is needed.
Namaskar

Very True Ravi,  for this reason,  I have never read any commentary for Akshara mana malai.

Same with Ulladhu Narpadhu.

I go to the extent of declaring that all these great works are not for intellectual understanding at all.  Some excuse is given to know the general gist meaning by brain. that is all.  rest is only devotional approach. 

Otherwise if someone reads Ribhu Gita intellectually he will feel there is no God at all.