Author Topic: Papa Naasam -- the great Shiva sthalam (shrine)  (Read 3264 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Papa Naasam -- the great Shiva sthalam (shrine)
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
There is a very nice potent name to one of the sacred places associated with our father Lord Arunachala.  It is Papa Nasam. 

There are two places by this name one near tanjore and another near Thirunelveli.

I kindly request Subramaniam sir and other devotees to educate about which of these two locations especially has become famours for removal of sins.

These type of sacred shrines are full of love and grace for devotees - the moment I hear this word Papa Naasam I become happy and consoled .  the guilt feeling due to previous sins instantly removed.

I wish I visit all this siva sthalams in a yatra one by one staying for 10 days in every sacred place.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Papa Naasam -- the great Shiva sthalam (shrine)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

About one papanasam which is near Thanjavur has no famous Siva temple and so the Saiva Saints have not sung about it.
There is one another papanasam, near KuRRAlam, which I think you are referring to.  Even here I do not find any songs
composed by Saiva Saints or Arunagiri Nathar.  The second one has got a tank which is said to cure diseases and and ward off sins.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

This is the more detailed account of Papanasam temple near KuRRAlam.  The healing powers is with Siva idol there and also
the river Tambrabrani running near the town.  This I got from google. 

The Papanasar temple the famous shrine in Papanasam which lies in the bank of Thambaraparani river where the main deity is Lord Shiva in the name of Papanasar (Destroyer of Sins). The name of the Goddess is Lord Loganayaki who is also known as Ulagambigai.
This Papanasar temple is first among the NavaKailayams where the Navagraha known for this temple is Surya (The Sun). Papanasar is mainly known for his healing powers where he seems to be the medicine for any diseases in the world. He has the power to cure any diseases for his disciples who really have the love and affection on him.
The temple is famous for its Chittirai Peruvila where the Urchavam used to happen for 13 days. This is in memory of Saint Agasthiyar where he got the Kalyana Dharshan of Lord Shiva and Parvathy in RishabaVahana along with his wife Ulobamuthirai.
The body of Lord Papanasar is wholly and naturally made of Rudraksha who is also known as Rudrakshanathar. The old name of Papanasar is VairajaLingam.

Arunachala Siva.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

This is the more detailed account of Papanasam temple near KuRRAlam.  The healing powers is with Siva idol there and also
the river Tambrabrani running near the town.  This I got from google. 

The Papanasar temple the famous shrine in Papanasam which lies in the bank of Thambaraparani river where the main deity is Lord Shiva in the name of Papanasar (Destroyer of Sins). The name of the Goddess is Lord Loganayaki who is also known as Ulagambigai.
This Papanasar temple is first among the NavaKailayams where the Navagraha known for this temple is Surya (The Sun). Papanasar is mainly known for his healing powers where he seems to be the medicine for any diseases in the world. He has the power to cure any diseases for his disciples who really have the love and affection on him.
The temple is famous for its Chittirai Peruvila where the Urchavam used to happen for 13 days. This is in memory of Saint Agasthiyar where he got the Kalyana Dharshan of Lord Shiva and Parvathy in RishabaVahana along with his wife Ulobamuthirai.
The body of Lord Papanasar is wholly and naturally made of Rudraksha who is also known as Rudrakshanathar. The old name of Papanasar is VairajaLingam.

Arunachala Siva.
Dear Sir,

Thanks for the info.

I also found this link having all navakailaya sthalams:

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/sptnavakayilayam.htm

We need to search if any of the papanasam temples have songs in praise by the four saints.

This site is also a nice one:

http://www.shivatemples.com/nofc/index.php

I wish to see all this great temples in my lifetime.

there are also sapta vidanga sthalams,  ashta veeratana sthalams etc.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Ashta Veera Sthana Sthalams are the eight places where Siva vanquished the sinners and those who disrespected Him. 

1. Tiruk koilur - near Villupuram - Here Siva killed Andhakasura. Siva is called Veerashtaneswarar and Uma is called Sivananda Valli.

2. Tiru Adigai - This is near Panrutti in Tamizh Nadu.  Siva burnt the Tiruprasuras by His smile. Siva is called Veerastha Nathar and
Uma is called Tripura Sundari.  This is where Saint Tirunavukkarasar, after suffering incurable colic pain came back rushing to
his sister Tilakavati for cure and converted himself back to Saivism.

3. Tiruk Kadavur - This is near Mayiladuthurai, where for the sake of Markandeya, kicked the god of death, Yama and drove
him away. Siva is called KAla Samhara Murti and Uma is called Abhirami.  Here is where Abhirami Bhattar composed his
Abhirami Andati and Abhirami Amma Padigams (2)

4. Vazhuvur -  It is near again Mayiladuthurai.  Here Siva skinned Gajamukhasura and wore the skin as his waist cloth. 
Siva is called Gajasamhara Murti and Uma is called ILangiLai  Nayaki, one who is like tender branch of a tree. 

5. ViRkudi - This on  the railway route of Tiruvarur and Mayiladuthurai.  Here Siva killed Jalandharasura.  Siva is called
Veerasthaneswarar and Uma is called ParimaLa NAyaki. 

6. Tiruk kaNdiyoor - This is near Tiruvaiyaru.  Siva removed one head of Brahma here, by a disc.  This disc was then
given to Vishnu.  He is called  Brahmasira kaNdeeswarar. Uma is called Mangalambika.

7. Tiruk kurukkai - Here Siva burnt Manmatha.  This is again near Mayiladuthurai.  Siva is called Tirukkurukkai Nathar and
Uma is called Jnanambika.

8. TirupaRiyalur - This is again near MayilAduthuRai.  Here Siva killed Daksha. He is called Veerastha Nathar. Uma is called
TirukombanaiyAL, one who is like tender sugar cane stick.         

I shall post about Sapta Vitanga Sthalams later.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
Dear Krishnan and others,

The sapta vitanga (dance) Sthalams are:

1. Tiruvarur -  Veedhi Vitanga Nathar - Ajapa Natanam.

2. TirunallARu - Naka vitangar - Unmatha Natanam.

3. Tirunakaik karOnam - Sundara Vitangar - ParAvAratharanga Natanam.

4.  TirukkArAyil -  Adhi Vitangar -  Kukkuda (cock) Natanam.

5. TirukkoLili - Avani Vitangar - Brunga Natanam.

6. TiruvAimur - Neela Vitangar - Kamala Natanam.

7. TirumaRai kAdu (Vedaranyam) - Bhuvani Vitangar -  Hamsapada Natanam. 

All the places are in around MayilAduthuRai/Tiruvarur.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
Five Sabhas (Halls)  of Siva-Nataraja:

1. Tillai or Chidambram - Kanaka (golden) Sabha.

2. Madurai   - VeLLi (Silver) Sabha.

3. TiruvAlangAdu -  Ratna (Ruby) Sabha.

4. Tirunelveli  - Tambra (Copper) Sabha.

5. KuRRAlam -  Chitra (Paintings) Sabha.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Pancha bhoota sthalangaL:

1. Tiruavarur - the earth.

2. Tiruvanaikka - the water.

3. Tiruvannamalai - the agni

4. Kalahasti - the Vayu.

5. Chidambaram - Akasa - the Space.

Of these when one is born in Tiruvarur (some books say it is Kanchipuram) he will attain mukti.

If one have darsanam of Chidambram, he will have mukti

If one dies in Kasi (which is not in the list) he will attain mukti.

If one merely remembers Tiruvannamlai, he will attain mukti.

Sri Bhagavan has given wonderful explanation for these beliefs.

Jananat Kamalalayam (Tiruvarur) means 'being born
in Kamalaylam. What is it?  It is the Heart.

Abhrasadasi - seat of consciousness. Again Kasi is the Light of Realization. One should die in the Light of Realization.

Remembering Arunachala completes the verse.

It must also be understood in the same sense.

Darsanad Abhrasadasi, Jananat Kamalalaye, Kasyanta maranam mukih smaranad Arunachala.     

(See Talks 473).

Arunachala Siva,