Author Topic: who was Dandapani Swami?  (Read 1839 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
who was Dandapani Swami?
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:03 AM »
Dear all,

Do you have detailed information on this devotee Dandapani swami? seems he is father in law of Muruganar.

But mixed reports about him.

When did he come to Bhagavan?  Why he went to Pazhani?  How did he suffer over there?

Please elaborate on this devotee.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: who was Dandapani Swami?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Dandapani Swami was father in law of Muruganar.  (Smt. Meenkashi's father.).  He was with Sri Bhagavan even from much
earlier years.  He once came to Muruganar's house and presented him with a copy of Nan Yar?,  and Sri Aksharamana Malai,
thinking that being a Tamizh poet, Muruganar would love to see such books. Muruganar on seeing these books got attracted
to Sri Bhagavan and came to Him with his Desika Padigam sometimes after Mother Azhagamma's mukti.  He was coming and going
every week end, simulatenousely taking care of his school work. He came to Sri Bhagavan permanently after his (Murugnar's)
mother's death.  His wife Meenakshi was staying in Madras and Tiruvannamalai alternately.

I have no idea of Dandapani Swami going to Pazhani.

Arunachala Siva.   

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Dandapani Swami was father in law of Muruganar.  (Smt. Meenkashi's father.).  He was with Sri Bhagavan even from much
earlier years.  He once came to Muruganar's house and presented him with a copy of Nan Yar?,  and Sri Aksharamana Malai,
thinking that being a Tamizh poet, Muruganar would love to see such books. Muruganar on seeing these books got attracted
to Sri Bhagavan and came to Him with his Desika Padigam sometimes after Mother Azhagamma's mukti.  He was coming and going
every week end, simulatenousely taking care of his school work. He came to Sri Bhagavan permanently after his (Murugnar's)
mother's death.  His wife Meenakshi was staying in Madras and Tiruvannamalai alternately.

I have no idea of Dandapani Swami going to Pazhani.

Arunachala Siva.   

Dear sir

i have read somehwere in Bhagavan literature.
though Muruganar himself became an exalted devotee Dandapani Swami was not upto the mark.

he frequenlty ordered Bhagavan and spent a lot in vadai and payasam without saving for the next day.

But obviously he was not as venomous as Perumal Swami.

Seems in this arrogant style of functioning of D.Swami people deserted him to support in continuing as Ashram Manager.  So he left to Pazhani for good.

From there he once wrote a depressed letter to Bhagavan indirectly repenting for his past arrogant action. 

Bhagavan chose to reply to him in a very consoling manner .

All these I read somewhere but not sure in which book (it was a book from Ramasramam only)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Your writing may be true.  He was hefty, fat person, often showing his arrogance.  But Sri Bhagavan tolerated
these aspect of Swami out of His great compassion.

Arunachala Siva. 

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
Smt Meenakshi, daughter of Sri Dandapani Swami

I was born the sixth daughter of Sri Periyakulam Krishna Iyer and Kanakammal on the fourth day of Panguni month, Saleevagna Sahabdha, 1823 (17-3-1902). My parents and elders called me Meenakshi. I was happy with my parents.

In the meantime, my father took sannyasa and became one of the leading devotees of Sri Ramana Bhagavan. (The father's name was Dandapani Swami). Later, my father went to Palani with Bhagavan's permission, constructed an ashram in South Giri Street, and lived there for some time.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya