Author Topic: Buddha's first words after enlightenment  (Read 7086 times)

nobody

• View Profile
Buddha's first words after enlightenment
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »
The Buddha's first words after enlightenment were these:

"Seeking but not finding the house builder, I traveled through the round of countless births. Oh, painful is birth ever and again! House builder, you have now been seen. You shall not build the house again. Your rafters have been broken down; your ridge-pole is demolished too. My mind has now attained the unformed nirvana and reached the end of every kind of craving." (Dh. 153-54.)

In this video, Sri SN Goenka explains it in more detail. Please listen to this in full:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBaOo0_Ive8
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:14:25 PM by nobody »

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Buddha's first words after enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »
Dear nobody, thank you so much for these beautiful words of Lord Buddha! I am so happy to see you here again!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Buddha's first words after enlightenment
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
Dear nobody,

Thank You very much for this video! It reminded me on one part from Papaji's biography where He mentioned something similar,about past birts. It happened few years after His realisation. I find this quite amazing,and many many times i have pondered on these words. And i still do. I think here lies some very important thing. Here is the part

"Many years later, sitting on the banks of the Ganga, I had an extraordi­nary vision of myself, the self that had been H.W.L. Poonja, in all its various incarnations through time. I watched the self move from body to body, from form to form. It went through plants, through animals, through birds, through human bodies, each in a different place in a different time. The sequence was extraordinarily long. Thousands and thousands of incarnations, spanning millions of years, ap­peared before me. My own body finally appeared as the last one of the sequence, followed shortly afterwards by the radiant form of Sri Ramana Maharshi. The vision then ended. The appearance of the Maharshi had ended that seemingly endless sequence of births and rebirths. After his intervention in my life, the self that finally took the form of Poonja could incarnate no more. The Maharshi de­stroyed it by a single look.

As I watched the endless incarnations roll by, I also ex­perienced time progressing at its normal speed. That is to say, it really felt as if millions of years were elapsing. Yet when my normal consciousness returned, I realised that the whole vision had occupied but an instant of time. One may dream a whole lifetime but when one wakes up one knows that the time which elapsed in the dream was not real, that the person in the dream was not real, and that the world which that person inhabited was not real. All this is recognised instantly at the moment of waking. Similarly, when one wakes up to the Self, one knows instantly that time, the world, and the life one appeared to live in it are all unreal.

That vision by the Ganga brought home this truth to me very vividly. I knew that all my lifetimes in samsara were unreal, that the Maharshi had woken me up from this wholly imaginary nightmare by showing me the Self that I really am. Now, freed from that ridiculous samsara, and speaking from the standpoint of the Self, the only reality, I can say, ‘Nothing has ever come into exist­ence; nothing has ever happened; the unchanging, formless Self alone exists’. That is my experience, and that is the ex­perience of everyone who has realised the Self.

Papaji
From Papaji's biography
The Master remains
"

With love and prayers,