Author Topic: over reading of books not healthy  (Read 1760 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
over reading of books not healthy
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
Just thought of sharing my ideas on this. All -- please share your own thoughts.

In Maharishee's school of thought ,  there is very little need to be known theoretically and then comes practice practice practice -- practice makes perfect, be it surrender (japa, parayana, bhajan, arunachala pradakshina, hearing of arunachala songs) or self enquiry ( who am i method,  ribhu gita reading ,  repition of maha vakyas etc.)

So be it bhakthi or jnana,  all need to be known in books and internet and blogs and forums is very little and then comes the actual practice.

This being the scenario,  all devotees here including me (very much I am included in this  :))  ,  why do you think we keep on reading so many books?

The Self shines as Chaitanya and knows to itself only through strong sadhana.  What is the point in endless reading of different books of Maharshi?  What is the point in lot of discussions,  blogs,  photo links,  multimedia ,  dvds, audio books, ebook readers etc.?

I am not looking down at these tools but I am wondering whether this is due to our insincerity?

A person longing for jnana or bhakthi will definitely go to a solace place (not physical place but mental place ) and start his vigorous sadhana.  The bhaktha will not leave God alone but again and again cry like a baby.  A jnana aspirant will not rest until he comes to the Self abidance.

But why we people have these many mind blogging doubts,  answers,  then doubts on the answers,  again replies etc.?

I think when we sincerely retrospect the above daily without bias, we will slowly increase our sadhana time in place of this. 

Devotees -- please share your thoughts on this aspect.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: over reading of books not healthy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
Krishna

A camphor stick needs only a spark to catch fire, whereas, A green wooden plank will keep on producing lot of smoke though it will never catch fire, and finally a metal rod will never ever catch fire neither produce even smoke. You will find all three in the world.

But I did not understand what you meant by over reading as "Not healthy". I dont get the health relation to book reading.

-Sanjay.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:27:11 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »
Oh that Sanjay,  I meant spiritual health  :) nothing to do with physical health.

I meant endless reading and being a bookworm of spiritual books will land us nowhere while continuous and vigorous sadhana in those available free times will make a difference in our inner being.

The same view was shared in different places by Maharshi in Talks and even other spiritual saints has told this repeatedly in different ways.

Let me clarify to everybody,  all I want from this post is to push myself and each one of you into active sadhana as frequently as possible cutting the time on book reading and spiritual diversions.

Unless we accept our shortcomings,  we will not grow and please take my advise in that spirit.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:03:30 PM by ksksat27 »

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
Krishnan ,
You are right.Unfortunately I am also one of those who like to gulp books like anything.However in this one thing has helped.
The maximum books that I have are on Bhagavan.These do help in the sense, for any situation,I am able to find some advice of Bhagavan from my mental storehouse and gain the right perspective.
But we should try to resort one of the ways of self enquiry as soon as possible, for indeed life is short.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »

Good topic!

On the one hand,

1. Reading helps clarify and build "shraddha" in the knowledge
2. Reading about saints/devotees inspires us more and more (builds mumukshutvam)
3. Reading some type of scriptural work/listening to them is calming, better way to use time than wasting on activities that cause mind agitation and create desires

On the other hand,
1. There is a risk of thinking reading itself is enough since it feels easier than self inquiry, however, even the scriptural knowledge is also "apara vidya" and hence avidya.
2. There is a risk of  developing a ego about being "learned" and being able to quote
3. There is a risk of not doing mananam/nidhidhyasana due to lack of time/interest

I was given an example in my Atma Bodha class that that this scriptural "apara vidya" is like the pole they use in pole vault. Once you cross the barrier, you drop the pole.. similarly, once we reach a stage, necessity for this will drop away.

I also believe even reading/listening is a personal preference. It is just one type of sadhana.
Deepa

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »
Talk 128.

There were some French ladies and gentlemen and American as visitors
to the Asramam. They asked Sri Bhagavan several questions. Among
them, one was: “What is the message of the East to the West?”

M.: All go to the same goal.

To another question Sri Bhagavan said: “How do you say ‘I am’?
Do you take a light to find yourself? Or did you come to know it
on reading books? How?”

The questioner said: “By experience.”

M.: Yes. Experience is the word. Knowledge implies subject and
object. But experience is non-terminal, eternal.
Salutations to Bhagawan

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »

It is very interesting that after seeing and responding to this post this morning, I just went to Facebook and found this sharing from Ganesan-ji on Alan Jacobs Vedanta page.  It is even more special because Sri. Ganesan talks about coincidences and says the following (just some excerpts from the sharing below) - I also firmly believe there is no such thing as a coincidence, only divine providence!

<excerpt 1>
In the meanwhile, I opened my 'Inbox' and got the following letter from our dear brother Suresh Kailash . It confirmed my conviction : "There are NO coincidences at all, ever. It is the Higher Power who crafts, conducts and executes everything, in its minutest details too, in every one's daily life," said a wandering Saint whom I met on the banks of Holy Mother GANGA MATA ! How true it is !
---------------------------------------------------------------------
<excerpt 1 ends>

Then, Sri. Ganesan goes on to present an excerpt from "Crumbs from his table" by Ramanananda Saraswati. This excerpt deals with exactly the question posted on this thread by ksksat-ji!!

<excerpt 2>
A little later, when he came to the passage referring to Kanchi Shankaracharya having referred Mr.Paul Brunton to two holy persons, able to enlighten him on the question of Atma Vidya, of whom Sri Bhagavan was one, he desired to know who the other person was and was given to understand that the other person was the late Sri Ramananda Swami, then residing at Mahadanapuram, near Trichy, as reported by Mr.K.S. Venkataramani (journalist and author) who accompanied mr.Brunton to Chingleput to visit Sri Shankaracharya. As the writer lived very near Mahadanapuram and, as he had already told Sri Bhagavan that he had seen the Avadhuta Swami at Sendamangalam, Sri Bhagavan asked him if he had also seen Sri Ramananda. He answered that he had not but, from what he now heard, he was anxious to do so, adding, however that his books led one like himself almost to despair of ever attaining Salvation, as he had spent the gerater part of his life in a way which the Swami would consider irreligious and sinful, lacking in both knowledge of the Vedas and essential practices of a Brahmin, so that he was not fit even to moot the question of Mukti (Salvation). He longed to attain Salvation, but this insistence on the study of the vast ocean of Sanskrit literature, or any literature for that matter, appeared to him a stumbling block. he was anxious to know whether there was any way out of this impossible condition at his age and in his state of life and, having found what seemed to be a possible solution, setting atrest all these doubts, at the hands of Sri Bhagavan, he was no more inclined to go and see anybody else.

Sri Bhagavan said that vast study or high education was not compulsory for Self-Realisation** and that sometimes it could prove moer a hindranced than a help. A highly educated Pundit has a greater samsara (family) than an ordinary man, whose immediate obstacles to the quest of the SELF onl cneters round his wife, children and a few relations and friends. If such a one can, by constatnt enquiry, break these bonds, he is well on the path to Salvation, whereas a Pundit has, in addition to breaking the immediate ties of his relations, etc., to break also the dounts and despairs which the various books he has read present to him, and as a matter of fact at one stage of the path, it would be necessary to strive to forget wshat he had read. He added that knowledge of SELF is TRUE KNOWLEDGE and incomparable to any knowledge gained by study, and that Self-Knowledge or Self-Realisation is not to be obtained by any amount of study but by practice only. The writer cannot describe what consolation and relief this reassurance gave him.

<excerpt 2 ends>

I guess that clearly answers the Krishnan's question! ( and influences my future practice too!)
And clearly shows there is no such thing as coincidence!!
Pranam,
Deepa

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

It is very interesting that after seeing and responding to this post this morning, I just went to Facebook and found this sharing from Ganesan-ji on Alan Jacobs Vedanta page.  It is even more special because Sri. Ganesan talks about coincidences and says the following (just some excerpts from the sharing below) - I also firmly believe there is no such thing as a coincidence, only divine providence!

<excerpt 1>
In the meanwhile, I opened my 'Inbox' and got the following letter from our dear brother Suresh Kailash . It confirmed my conviction : "There are NO coincidences at all, ever. It is the Higher Power who crafts, conducts and executes everything, in its minutest details too, in every one's daily life," said a wandering Saint whom I met on the banks of Holy Mother GANGA MATA ! How true it is !
---------------------------------------------------------------------
<excerpt 1 ends>

Then, Sri. Ganesan goes on to present an excerpt from "Crumbs from his table" by Ramanananda Saraswati. This excerpt deals with exactly the question posted on this thread by ksksat-ji!!

<excerpt 2>
A little later, when he came to the passage referring to Kanchi Shankaracharya having referred Mr.Paul Brunton to two holy persons, able to enlighten him on the question of Atma Vidya, of whom Sri Bhagavan was one, he desired to know who the other person was and was given to understand that the other person was the late Sri Ramananda Swami, then residing at Mahadanapuram, near Trichy, as reported by Mr.K.S. Venkataramani (journalist and author) who accompanied mr.Brunton to Chingleput to visit Sri Shankaracharya. As the writer lived very near Mahadanapuram and, as he had already told Sri Bhagavan that he had seen the Avadhuta Swami at Sendamangalam, Sri Bhagavan asked him if he had also seen Sri Ramananda. He answered that he had not but, from what he now heard, he was anxious to do so, adding, however that his books led one like himself almost to despair of ever attaining Salvation, as he had spent the gerater part of his life in a way which the Swami would consider irreligious and sinful, lacking in both knowledge of the Vedas and essential practices of a Brahmin, so that he was not fit even to moot the question of Mukti (Salvation). He longed to attain Salvation, but this insistence on the study of the vast ocean of Sanskrit literature, or any literature for that matter, appeared to him a stumbling block. he was anxious to know whether there was any way out of this impossible condition at his age and in his state of life and, having found what seemed to be a possible solution, setting atrest all these doubts, at the hands of Sri Bhagavan, he was no more inclined to go and see anybody else.

Sri Bhagavan said that vast study or high education was not compulsory for Self-Realisation** and that sometimes it could prove moer a hindranced than a help. A highly educated Pundit has a greater samsara (family) than an ordinary man, whose immediate obstacles to the quest of the SELF onl cneters round his wife, children and a few relations and friends. If such a one can, by constatnt enquiry, break these bonds, he is well on the path to Salvation, whereas a Pundit has, in addition to breaking the immediate ties of his relations, etc., to break also the dounts and despairs which the various books he has read present to him, and as a matter of fact at one stage of the path, it would be necessary to strive to forget wshat he had read. He added that knowledge of SELF is TRUE KNOWLEDGE and incomparable to any knowledge gained by study, and that Self-Knowledge or Self-Realisation is not to be obtained by any amount of study but by practice only. The writer cannot describe what consolation and relief this reassurance gave him.

<excerpt 2 ends>

I guess that clearly answers the Krishnan's question! ( and influences my future practice too!)
And clearly shows there is no such thing as coincidence!!
Pranam,
Deepa

Dear Deepa

The leela of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi is wonderful,  as Self he ever guides and I am equally surprised at the divine play and the message coming forth at same frequency from many sources for this forum.

Regards,
Krishna