Author Topic: Be focussed on our Maharishee for a lot of time  (Read 5815 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Be focussed on our Maharishee for a lot of time
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
dear all,

many of us are devotees of Bhagavan Ramana and we all also read other saint's books.

But I feel we have to do a lot of one pointed focus on Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee atleast for 70% of our sadhana time and only 30% we can visit other saints for relaxation and diversion (better diversion than TV or Movies)

This is not to look down at other paths but too many paths can make one confused and he will be left over not focussing on any one path.

So here are few tips for Ramana devotees to focus on Bhagavan Ramana in various ways.

i)First priority is Self enquiry practice as given in Who Am I , The path of Sri Ramana or Be As You are.

ii)If one mind is very speedy and restless,  currently not in the mood to do self enquiry, one can chant Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaaya and focus and meditate on any photo of Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee.

One can also do parayana or following through audio tapes of Bhagavan's works like Akshara Manamalai , Ramana puranam or sannidhi murai. I am not sure how non tamil speaking devotees will manage but they can do equivalent playing of english songs on Ramana etc.

iiii) If one feels devoted to Deities for that moment, one can always tune to Arunachala Shiva japam and mediation on Lord Shiva.

iv)If one is inclined to Divine Mother worship,  then one can focus on Temple of Mother Azhagammal and focus on the samadhi and sri chakra by chanting Lalitha Sahasranama.

v) Only last priority is reading Bhagavan Ramana Books as sadhana.  This is not to say reading books is of low value but one has to do meditation and read only that much required to carry on sadhana. So too many doubts, too many reading will not help.   This way one may be distracted.  But still one's mind is not in the mood to do any of the iv) points above, then one may turn to reading Ramana Books.

vi)If none of these attract and one feels the need for some diversion, then first preference is to pray to Lord Dattatreya or Lord Dakshinamurthy or any form of Lord shiva or Pazhani Murugan etc. and mentally think of any famous temple.   

vii)If even that is not being found attractive for that moment, one shall refer to other saint's books and teachings as a matter of useful satsanga and diversion of mind.

The above rules may not be attractive or may not work for all, but this will help in bringing focus again and again to Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee.

For we should remember that even mentally repeating Bhagavan Ramana's name will create his presence in our room and mind.  This will induce waves of peace sooner or later and this is best alternative in the absence of inspiration to do self enquiry.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Be focussed on our Maharishee for a lot of time
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

I fully agree with you.

Arunachala Siva,

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:54 AM »
I love to read about Nisgaradatte Maharaj and Papa Ramdas, I find them to be a great inspiration.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »
Is Bhagavan just the form? is there any different between forms?

To remain focused is right, to remain focused on Bhagavan is also right, but, if we truly remain focused on Bhagavan, then the forms will not matter. No matter how many varieties of dishes are served in our plate, it is food in the end. What is more important is to remain focused on the "Guru Tatva"

A person may be going to Ganesha Temple, then Shirdi Sai Baba, then go to Ramana Bhagavan and then may go to Ramakrishna math, for a person of wisdom, where ever he goes, the same Guru, to whom he has surrendered will appear in various forms.

What is required is Antarmukham of chitta. Internalization of all senses and mind.

We should never forget, that all paths lead to the same goal, further one will discern that there is only one path, and existence of many paths are only illusion. there is only one way upwards in a hill, no matter which ever side one may climb, there is only one way - upwards!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
G: You are the unmanifested, the supreme self, Brahman yourself.
D: But I cannot understand what you are saying. How can it be? Come on...

G: OK. Then focus on the unmanifested formless supreme self.
D: But how can I focus on formless unmanifested supreme self? I cannot imagine. What should I do?

G: OK. Then focus on the form of Siva or Vishnu or your own chosen God. Have Bhakthi - supreme devotion to chosen form. Do Bhakthi yoga.
D: No. No. I am an intellectual. I dont do things which dont have scientific basis, you know. I cannot accept a God with 4 hands etc. I know God is formless. What should I do?

G: OK. Then do Karma Yoga. You are not the doer - you know.
D: That is difficult. How can I not be the doer. Believe me - I have tried it. It does not work.

G: OK. Then do pranayama every day followed by Yogasanas every day. Try to develop your body and mind to focus on one thing, anything.
D: I dont have time for that. It needs lot of effort and patience.

G: OK. Then Let us go eat, indulge and watch TV !!
D: Sounds like a good idea. Let us go...
Salutations to Bhagawan

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
What Krishnan has suggested was also advised by Bhagavan to Kunju Swami .i.e he was advised to resort to self enquiry primarily and Bhagavan advised him to  also practice japa,dhyana and parayanam when his mind was not able to resort to self enquiry .
Thanks and regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »
Friends,

If one truly has been initiated into Self Enquiry by the grace of Bhagavan, such a person will make Self Enquiry of everything. Give him Japa, he will end up doing Self Enquiry, give him Bhajana, he will sing into Self Enquiry, give him work, he will do Self Enquiry out of it.

Take for instance, Bhagavan's instructions to Ganapati Muni:

"If one watches where the notion of 'I' springs, the mind will be absorbed into that. That is tapas. If a mantra is repeated and attention is directed to the source where the mantra sound is produced, the mind will be absorbed into that. That is tapas."

The subtle point, aspirants miss is that, the focus should be natural, it should be inspired, then only will it be graceful, otherwise no matter how much an aspirant strives and tries to remain focused in only one school of practice, since it is only inspired out of mind's intelligence, it may fail to sustain itself.

An aspirants deep yearning may lay in Nama Smarana, yet if he strives to inspire himself out of his mind to remain focused in Bhagavan's path, then it may not be divinely inspired. For instance, we may look into the journey of Narasimha Swami who finally found solace in Bhajana Nama smarana under the feel of Shirdi Sai Baba, inspite of being the first to gather the life journey of Bhagavan and compiled the first most authentic biography of Bhagavan.

In essence, what i would like to convey is that an aspirant must not travel the spiritual journey in pre-decided ideas and notions of what sounds and looks ideal, but must be like a dry leaf being pulled to various quarters in the direction of the wind. This is divinely inspired.

A spiritual aspirant must first drop his intelligence and then enter into the gates of divinity.

--
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:14:00 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
what do i do ? how do i do it ? tell me how to do it ! .... lol
self enquiry is about investigating the self to see how it is that what you are DOING now started .
then you have a choice to STOP DOING it .
realization is in the stopping ... not the doing .
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:45:27 AM »
self enquiry is about investigating the self to see how it is that what you are DOING now started .
I may be wrong here, but to may limited knowledge Bhagavan said that inquiry of The Self is impossible since it is not an object.
We can only inquiry into the ego & it's source.
When you find it - you discover it does not exist.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 07:39:12 PM »
Friends,

If one truly has been initiated into Self Enquiry by the grace of Bhagavan, such a person will make Self Enquiry of everything. Give him Japa, he will end up doing Self Enquiry, give him Bhajana, he will sing into Self Enquiry, give him work, he will do Self Enquiry out of it.

Take for instance, Bhagavan's instructions to Ganapati Muni:

"If one watches where the notion of 'I' springs, the mind will be absorbed into that. That is tapas. If a mantra is repeated and attention is directed to the source where the mantra sound is produced, the mind will be absorbed into that. That is tapas."

The subtle point, aspirants miss is that, the focus should be natural, it should be inspired, then only will it be graceful, otherwise no matter how much an aspirant strives and tries to remain focused in only one school of practice, since it is only inspired out of mind's intelligence, it may fail to sustain itself.

An aspirants deep yearning may lay in Nama Smarana, yet if he strives to inspire himself out of his mind to remain focused in Bhagavan's path, then it may not be divinely inspired. For instance, we may look into the journey of Narasimha Swami who finally found solace in Bhajana Nama smarana under the feel of Shirdi Sai Baba, inspite of being the first to gather the life journey of Bhagavan and compiled the first most authentic biography of Bhagavan.

In essence, what i would like to convey is that an aspirant must not travel the spiritual journey in pre-decided ideas and notions of what sounds and looks ideal, but must be like a dry leaf being pulled to various quarters in the direction of the wind. This is divinely inspired.

A spiritual aspirant must first drop his intelligence and then enter into the gates of divinity.

--

Dear Nagaraj

I see where you are coming from.  In one way it seems true ,  but for vast majority ,  a careful analysis of the ego-mind will reveal its flaws.  It is the principle of boredom.  It is not that ego-mind is tuned to Nama Smarana,  it simply wants a relaxation,  some other story, some other Guru and some other diversion.  This is where I stress One Guru,  even if we feel different moods,  atleast engage in whatever moods we like but only with Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee.

Our Bhagavan has given room for all type of sadhana under his vast works, teachings and buildings --  nama smarana yes, Arunachala Shiva is there,  what more do we want?  Divine Mother worship, Mother Azhagammals beautiful samadhi and shrine personally blessed by Maharishee in his life time is there -- go and do Lalitha Sahasranama , what more do we want?

Reading of vedantic texts -- yes ,  all Maha Vakays in Ribhu Gita parayana again done in Maharishee's lifetime itself.

Silent Upadesa -- go to old mediatation hall and sit in silence.

Physical activity , devotional service and utsavams  ? -- go to Giripradakshina or happily participate in Arunachaleswhara Temple Karthikai Deepa utsavam or pradosham or Guru Poornima .

Wandering --  go to virupaksha cave, pachiamman temple or skandashramam.

Poetic and beauty admirer -- join any photo project or read Muruganar's beautiful poetry.

Like this our Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee is really a 360 degree Brahma Jnani who has given every room for every mood change so that we always remain under his Lotus feet.

I feel for majority of people , the need of the hour is one pointed focus and devotion to one Guru and his teachings.

But you are also true -- when in the case of BVN when purva samskaras remained only with Shirdi Sai Bhaba he has to make a change in spiritual career .  But even then if we keenly notice,  he never wavered after going to Shirdi Sai Bhaba ,  that is the key.

But current day, some people tend to just keep on going. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
ksksat(Krishna),
There is only one Guru,Only one God,One Truth-We worship him in various forms in the form of Pillaiyar,Muruga,Devi,Vishnu or Shiva or Jesus,or Muhammed or Sri Ramakrishna or Saibaba or Sri Ramana.
As Sri Bhagavan clearly said-'Ariyadi Idara Jeevaradhu Aga VArisa Guhaiyil,aRivAi Rami Paramatman Arunachala Ramanan'.
Tell me which of the Forms is not Bhagavan and I will stop worshipping that. :)
Please examine your trying to define everything from an 'outer perspective'.Sri Bhagavan asks us to do the exact opposite-to see the Arunachala as 'Aham'.
This is what nagaraj has also expressed.
Nishta does not mean making the 'Object' of worship Fixed-It is to make the mind 'fixed'-means unifying the different strands of the mind to make it enter the eye of the needle-the Heart.It may help to concentrate the mind on 'one form' but to turn it into a Fetish is something that every seeker has to avoid.It is for this reason that Sri Bhagavan asked Annamalai Swami to stop visiting him or even talk to him.
Read what you have posted here after 1 year and see if it makes sense.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
ksksat(Krishna),
Next time you visit Sri Ramanasramam,visit the dining room and try to see the pictures  hanging there.Spend sometime looking at all these pictures.You may for the benefit of those who have not visited the Ashram list them out.
Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
ksksat(Krishna),
There is only one Guru,Only one God,One Truth-We worship him in various forms in the form of Pillaiyar,Muruga,Devi,Vishnu or Shiva or Jesus,or Muhammed or Sri Ramakrishna or Saibaba or Sri Ramana.
As Sri Bhagavan clearly said-'Ariyadi Idara Jeevaradhu Aga VArisa Guhaiyil,aRivAi Rami Paramatman Arunachala Ramanan'.
Tell me which of the Forms is not Bhagavan and I will stop worshipping that. :)
Please examine your trying to define everything from an 'outer perspective'.Sri Bhagavan asks us to do the exact opposite-to see the Arunachala as 'Aham'.
This is what nagaraj has also expressed.
Nishta does not mean making the 'Object' of worship Fixed-It is to make the mind 'fixed'-means unifying the different strands of the mind to make it enter the eye of the needle-the Heart.It may help to concentrate the mind on 'one form' but to turn it into a Fetish is something that every seeker has to avoid.It is for this reason that Sri Bhagavan asked Annamalai Swami to stop visiting him or even talk to him.
Read what you have posted here after 1 year and see if it makes sense.
Namaskar.

Dear Sir,

When we are not focussed on one particular Guru and his teachings that means our mind under the disguise of variety,  just takes relaxation under different people. 

Suppose we go to a doctor,  we need to continue treatment, see his prescription and follow the course, in between if I go to another doctor,  then i will not be benefitted at both places.

This I am not only telling but Sadhu Om tells in Path of Sri Ramana second part book.

In that he explains that some people just go to different Gurus rather than staying at one place and follow the teachings. Such people seem to taste different food items at different hotels, but actually if their stomach filled in first hotel they will not visit other hotels.  This is the gist he explains.

It is not fanatism,  but there is a thin border line.

We can occasionally go to different saints and read different books, but that should not become a habit to keep on just wandering.   One has to focus on Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee alone for some time.  This is because,  the mind will definitely try to escape under different excuses. The underlying objective of ego is not the attraction to another saint but a simple tricky plan in the name of diversion. 

Take any Guru, not that only Bhagavan Ramana but stick to him atleast for an year and see the result, against just here and there going to every saint and knocking at every door.

Ranjit Maharaj told the same thing.  After he met his Guru Siddha Rameshwar Maharaj he heard about Sri Ramana but there was no need he saw in going to another Guru.

Saradamma calls this Guru Shopping.  (Amma is a bit extreme in using phrases like this to push our faith to our own Guru)

We cannot imitate these personalities I have quoted here, but atleast we can try to spend maximum time in the company of Bhagavan and his teachings.

All forms are external , but until we cross our own ego-mind forms matter a lot.

Too much diversion is not good and not required.
At the same time, one need not artificially sit under Bhagavan when his mind is wavering, he can take a break and come back.

This is not to form spirtiual groups but success rate of liberation and past history of saints always show this secret -- one God, one Guru and fast success!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Ksksat,
I do not subscribe to the strait Jacket approach .I agree that one has to carry out sadhana in Right earnest.For this there is no need to insulate oneself and confine oneself to one particular form.This is the clear teaching of Sri Ramakrishna and the other Great ones as well.
Having Darshan of Great ones by way of Satsangha is something that all Saints and Scriptures have warmly recommended.This has nothing to do with the so called Guru Hopping and should not be confused with that.
An Earnest aspirant will  find through direct experience that there is one God,one Guru,One Truth only.He will relish every approach and Bhava-Dasya,Sakhya,Vatsalya,Santha(I am leaving the Mathura Bhava ).This has nothing to do with Novelty or 'Relaxation' or 'Change of mood' as you describe.
Taking a single prescription is quite okay but insisting that the medicine has to be purchased in one 'particular shop' only is clearly not okay.This is particularly the case if the medicine prescribed is Bhakti.
If it is something like a Yogic Technique,then it requires that one has to be under direct physical supervision of the Guru.This is clearly not the case here.
I would also suggest that Sri Bhagavan's writings are the only authentic source as far as his teachings are concerned.I do not subscribe to Sri sadhu Om's views which I have found dogmatic.This is not to say that his writings are not useful.Only I will not go all the way with him.

I subscribe to what Sri Aurobindo has written in that wonderful four-aids chapter.I have posted it in that thread dedicated .I am posting an excerpt here:

The Sadhaka of the integral Yoga will make use of all these aids according to his nature; but it is necessary that he should shun their limitations and cast from himself that exclusive tendency of egoistic mind which cries, "My God, my Incarnation, my Prophet, my Guru," and opposes it to all other realisation in a sectarian or a fanatical spirit. All sectarianism, all fanaticism must be shunned; for it is inconsistent with the integrity of the divine realisation.
On the contrary, the Sadhaka of the integral Yoga will not be satisfied until he has included all other names and forms of Deity in his own conception, seen his own Ishta Devata in all others, unified all Avatars in the unity of Him who descends in the Avatar, welded the truth in all teachings into the harmony of the Eternal Wisdom.
Nor should he forget the aim of these external aids which is to awaken his soul to the Divine within him. Nothing has been finally accomplished if that has not been accomplished. It is not sufficient to worship Krishna, Christ or Buddha without, if there is not the revealing and the formation of the Buddha, the Christ or Krishna in ourselves. And all other aids equally have no other purpose; each is a bridge between man's unconverted state and the revelation of the Divine within him

The Teacher of the integral Yoga will follow as far as he may the method of the Teacher within us. He will lead the disciple through the nature of the disciple. Teaching, example, influence, -- these are the three instruments of the Guru. But the wise Teacher will not seek to impose himself or his opinions on the passive acceptance of the receptive mind; he will throw in only what is productive and sure as a seed which will grow under the divine fostering within. He will seek to awaken much more than to instruct; he will aim at the growth of the faculties and the experiences by a natural process and free expansion. He will give a method as an aid, as a utilisable device, not as an imperative formula or a fixed routine. And he will be on his guard against any turning of the means into a limitation, against the mechanising of process. His whole business is to awaken the divine light and set working the divine force of which he himself is only a means and an aid, a body or a channel.

Namaskar.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »

Dear Sir,

When we are not focussed on one particular Guru and his teachings that means our mind under the disguise of variety,  just takes relaxation under different people. 

Suppose we go to a doctor,  we need to continue treatment, see his prescription and follow the course, in between if I go to another doctor,  then i will not be benefitted at both places.

This I am not only telling but Sadhu Om tells in Path of Sri Ramana second part book.

In that he explains that some people just go to different Gurus rather than staying at one place and follow the teachings. Such people seem to taste different food items at different hotels, but actually if their stomach filled in first hotel they will not visit other hotels.  This is the gist he explains.

It is not fanatism,  but there is a thin border line.

We can occasionally go to different saints and read different books, but that should not become a habit to keep on just wandering.   One has to focus on Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee alone for some time.  This is because,  the mind will definitely try to escape under different excuses. The underlying objective of ego is not the attraction to another saint but a simple tricky plan in the name of diversion. 

Take any Guru, not that only Bhagavan Ramana but stick to him atleast for an year and see the result, against just here and there going to every saint and knocking at every door.

Ranjit Maharaj told the same thing.  After he met his Guru Siddha Rameshwar Maharaj he heard about Sri Ramana but there was no need he saw in going to another Guru.

Saradamma calls this Guru Shopping.  (Amma is a bit extreme in using phrases like this to push our faith to our own Guru)

We cannot imitate these personalities I have quoted here, but atleast we can try to spend maximum time in the company of Bhagavan and his teachings.

All forms are external , but until we cross our own ego-mind forms matter a lot.

Too much diversion is not good and not required.
At the same time, one need not artificially sit under Bhagavan when his mind is wavering, he can take a break and come back.

This is not to form spirtiual groups but success rate of liberation and past history of saints always show this secret -- one God, one Guru and fast success!
I would also like to add that with the mass of fake Gurus nowadays it is very easy to met the wrong persons.
That is why it is such a great, great luck to have knowledge of Bhagavan and His teachings - He did not abuse anyone, He did not care for wealth, He did not preach worship of a particular deity and He gave a path that can be followed by anyone.