Author Topic: Idlis, Sambhar and Filtered Coffee most Nutritious Morning Meal Reveals Survey  (Read 4356 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Traditional Chennai Breakfast of Idlis, Sambhar and Filtered Coffee most Nutritious Morning Meal Reveals Survey of Indian Cities

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Idli-sambhar-most-nutritious-breakfast/articleshow/22129608.cms
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:58:55 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
BTW Idli , Sambhar and filter coffee is the standard breakfast in Sri Ramanaashram .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
Dear Atmavichar,

The Times of India article is only comparing idlis with what people eat in other regions of India. Travelling through Rajasthan and Gujarat, I found people eating jelabis for breakfast with their chai!!!!  Definitely idlis would be a healthier substitute.

So much rice can never be good.  On a recent trip to India, I found ragi idlis and oats idli mix. I think it was MTR company that has brought it out. So I bought them and made them upon my return home. They were so tasty. Besides, one packet can feed an entire family of big eaters.

I remember a time growing up in India, idlis were made occasionally. We just had brunch around 10-11 a.m. after morning hatha yoga, chanting and meditation. My grandparents lived well past 90 years and so did my dad - although he loved idlis. So this "must eat breakfast" is something being promoted by breakfast cereal companies in the west to boost their sales and Indians are picking it up.  Just my opinion!  So don't all pounce on me :-)

Child of Arunachala

deepa

• View Profile

Child of Arunachala,
Through some friends who work in both food processors and health care research, I have come to realize that all research is somehow manipulated to yield more corporate gains.

When we look at people like Bhagawan and Kanchi Periyava who never cared what they ate and ate what was required, all this science fails.

Idli/sambar breakfast with its mix of carbs, proteins and veggies was great at a time when we all walked, climbed, carried, sweated :) Not any more!!
Pranam,
Deepa

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
even bhagavan failed in sustaining health though he never cared for the same.

Personally i believe imitation strategy does not work.

So we need to look into our family and then take a wise decision with regards to health.

Yoga,mediation and eating less oils,salt,sugar are very much required.

Remember these days medical expenses are scary..

Ofcourse my suggestions mainly are applicable to married people where we have some responsibility.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
She described the more popular idli and sambhar as a "complete meal".

"The rice and urad dal in idlis complement each other, making it a complete protein. The vegetables and dal in the sambhar are good supplements," she said.

The  essence of the above article is given above in the Highlighted text .
Plus we must note the following :

1) Skipping of breakfast is not good for health .
2) Eating excess of any good breakfast be it Idly ,Sambar etc is also not good in morning .
One Doctor told on TV couple of years back that Idly,chutney is the good breakfast  but for that matter do not eat 10 Idlis and do not eat Idllis floating in a bowl of sambar ( as served in some famous Hotels in Chennai )  and do not eat Idlis fully soaked in Oil + Chilly powder . He told Idlis taken with mint chutney is more than enough and take not more than 2 Idlis in the morning .

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:36:14 AM by atmavichar100 »

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
People say Eat breakfast like king , lunch like prince and dinner like puppet..