Author Topic: How to avoid being distracted by Mosquitoes during sadhana?  (Read 14534 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
How to avoid being distracted by Mosquitoes during sadhana?
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Dear friends,
Though this may seem like a trivial topic almost humorous, in some ways it is a genuine problem (and actually quite serious at this stage of my sadhana)  for sadhaks like me which detracts from maintaining  continous 'I feeling ' abidance ,a way of self enquiry .
I would like friends here to comment on how we can practically solve this problem like for eg ,in terms of applying a mosquito cream as a physical measure and also psychically like what mental approach, could we apply to go back to "I feeling "abidance.
Sometimes it is tempting to give the mosquito a whack and say "Arunachala" both for the mosquito's sake and ours but surely there will be less violent measures and more effective measures that we can take.
Thanks and regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: How to avoid being distracted by Mosquitoes during sadhana?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:32:07 AM »
Anand Sundaram/Friends,
Here is an Excerpt from the wonderful 'Autobiography of a Yogi' by Paramahansa Yogananda,Chapter 12-'Years in my Master's Hermitage':

My early months with Sri Yukteswar culminated in a useful lesson"How to Outwit a Mosquito." At home my family always used protective curtains at night. I was dismayed to discover that in the Serampore hermitage this prudent custom was honored in the breach. Yet the insects were in full residency; I was bitten from head to foot. My guru took pity on me.

"Buy yourself a curtain, and also one for me." He laughed and added, "If you buy only one, for yourself, all mosquitoes will concentrate on me!"

I was more than thankful to comply. Every night that I spent in Serampore, my guru would ask me to arrange the bedtime curtains.

The mosquitoes one evening were especially virulent. But Master failed to issue his usual instructions. I listened nervously to the anticipatory hum of the insects. Getting into bed, I threw a propitiatory prayer in their general direction. A half hour later, I coughed pretentiously to attract my guru's attention. I thought I would go mad with the bites and especially the singing drone as the mosquitoes celebrated bloodthirsty rites.

No responsive stir from Master; I approached him cautiously. He was not breathing. This was my first observation of him in the yogic trance; it filled me with fright.

"His heart must have failed!" I placed a mirror under his nose; no breath-vapor appeared. To make doubly certain, for minutes I closed his mouth and nostrils with my fingers. His body was cold and motionless. In a daze, I turned toward the door to summon help.

"So! A budding experimentalist! My poor nose!" Master's voice was shaky with laughter. "Why don't you go to bed? Is the whole world going to change for you? Change yourself: be rid of the mosquito consciousness."

Meekly I returned to my bed. Not one insect ventured near. I realized that my guru had previously agreed to the curtains only to please me; he had no fear of mosquitoes. His yogic power was such that he either could will them not to bite, or could escape to an inner invulnerability.

"He was giving me a demonstration," I thought. "That is the yogic state I must strive to attain." A yogi must be able to pass into, and continue in, the superconsciousness, regardless of multitudinous distractions never absent from this earth. Whether in the buzz of insects or the pervasive glare of daylight, the testimony of the senses must be barred. Sound and sight come then indeed, but to worlds fairer than the banished Eden.7

The instructive mosquitoes served for another early lesson at the ashram. It was the gentle hour of dusk. My guru was matchlessly interpreting the ancient texts. At his feet, I was in perfect peace. A rude mosquito entered the idyl and competed for my attention. As it dug a poisonous hypodermic needle into my thigh, I automatically raised an avenging hand. Reprieve from impending execution! An opportune memory came to me of one of Patanjali's yoga aphorismsthat on ahimsa (harmlessness).

"Why didn't you finish the job?"

"Master! Do you advocate taking life?"

"No; but the deathblow already had been struck in your mind."

"I don't understand."

"Patanjali's meaning was the removal of desire to kill." Sri Yukteswar had found my mental processes an open book. "This world is inconveniently arranged for a literal practice of ahimsa. Man may be compelled to exterminate harmful creatures. He is not under similar compulsion to feel anger or animosity. All forms of life have equal right to the air of maya. The saint who uncovers the secret of creation will be in harmony with its countless bewildering expressions. All men may approach that understanding who curb the inner passion for destruction."

"Guruji, should one offer himself a sacrifice rather than kill a wild beast?"

"No; man's body is precious. It has the highest evolutionary value because of unique brain and spinal centers. These enable the advanced devotee to fully grasp and express the loftiest aspects of divinity. No lower form is so equipped. It is true that one incurs the debt of a minor sin if he is forced to kill an animal or any living thing. But the Vedas teach that wanton loss of a human body is a serious transgression against the karmic law."

I sighed in relief; scriptural reinforcement of one's natural instincts is not always forthcoming.

I warmly recommend this book to one and all.It is a rich blend of Bhakti,Jnana laced with humour and Humanity and the narration is so absorbing.Those interested may read it online:
http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/index.php
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »
Anand Sundaram/Friends,
Here is an excerpt from Papa Ramdas inspirational Autobiography-'In Quest of God':

They walked to the place whence a light was proceeding, and found themselves standing in front of the image of Kali. A thrill of joy coursed through Ramdas’ frame at the sight of the figure of Kali - the beau ideal of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa - that well-known Saint of Dakshineshwar. While they were standing with folded hands before the idol, a friend issued out of the temple and finding the Sadhus, gave them some of Kali’s Prasad to eat. Ramdas then questioned if it was the wish
of Mother Kali to grant them refuge for the night in the temple. The Pujari - this kind friend was such - hesitated and said:
“According to the rules of the temple, no outsiders are allowed to sleep during nights inside the temple precincts. However, since it is nearly midnight now, it would be hard indeed to send you out in the darkness and cold.”
‘O Ram! No rules, no regulations are binding upon Thy Bhaktas. To utter Thy glorious name means to be at once free from all bonds, all ties, all rules and all fetters.’
Then the kind Pujari friend led the Sadhus to an open Dharmashala on the banks of the Ganges. He again provided them with some eatables and pressed them to eat. Ram’s kindness knows no bounds. In the place occupied by the Sadhus sleep was out of question. Not only was the cold very severe due to the chill breeze blowing from the river but also quite a host of mosquitoes commenced attacking the Sadhus in grim earnest.
“This is a terrible state of things,” cried out the Sadhuram. “In Tirupati, there was only cold which was comparatively tolerable, but here, it is coupled with the sharp stings of mosquitoes.”
“It is all right, friend,” replied Ramdas. “Ram’s kindness cannot be sufficiently praised. He has found a most efficient method to keep Ramdas awake to enable him to perform Rambhajan without sleep encroaching upon it in the least.”
“Well, well,” was all that the Sadhu said who was now busy driving away the winged guests by waving to and fro the piece of cloth with which he covered his body. The Sadhu spent a very disturbed night, complaining, fretting and grumbling while Ramdas was struggling to bear it all by absorbing his mind in the meditation of Ram, who in a short time made him unconscious of his body, in which state he remained most of the night.

As long as we are subject to Body Consciousness,we are like a fledgeling bird that has not learnt to fly.In this state ,whether we think we are the Self and that the world is unreal -all this is plain hollow wishful thinking and nothing else! :)
This is not to say that thinking of this sort is of zero value.It just means that one has to develop sufficient Vairagya and Viveka ,Bhakti and Jnana to free oneself of the Body Consciousness.Until then,one has to act in accordance with the Dharma that governs Human Living and carry on Sadhana to the best of one's ability.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
Anand Sundaram/Friends,

Here is an Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

"To follow jnanayoga in this age is also very difficult. First, a man's life depends entirely on food. Second, he has a short span of life. Third, he can by no means get rid of bodyconsciousness; and the Knowledge of Brahman is impossible without the destruction of body-consciousness. The jnani says: 'I am Brahman; I am not the body. I am beyond hunger and thirst, disease and grief, birth and death, pleasure and pain.' How can you be a jnani if you are conscious of disease, grief, pain, pleasure, and the like? A thorn enters your flesh, blood flow from the wound, and you suffer very badly from the pain; but nevertheless, if you are a jnani you must be able to say: 'Why, there is no thorn in my flesh at all. Nothing is the matter with me'
"Therefore bhaktiyoga is prescribed for this age. By following this path one comes to God more easily than by following the others. One can undoubtedly, reach God by following the paths of jnana and karma, but they are very difficult paths.

God fulfils all desires of His devotees

"Bhaktiyoga is the religion for this age. But that does not mean that the lover of God will reach one goal and the philosopher and worker another. It means that if a person seeks the Knowledge of Brahman he can attain It by following the path of bhakti, too. God, who loves His devotee, can give him the Knowledge of Brahman if He so desires."

It is not as if Sri Bhagavan says onething and Sri Ramakrishna says another.Sri Bhagavan also has admitted and prescribed all the other preliminary approaches and has given Bhakti the Highest Place-His Hymns to arunachala clearly bear this out.Each Seeker has to carry on Sadhana according to his predeliction and capacity and if one is sincere and persistent,one will be lead by Grace.
The above Excerpt from the Gospel shows the degree of Freedom from Body Consciousness that is required to pursue the path of Jnana-what it means to Say 'I am not the Body'.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:32 AM »
Anand Sundaram/Friends,
A devotee(Sri balaram Bose) of Sri Ramakrishna had a doubt whether it is right to kill mosquitoes that troubled him during meditation, and he approached the Master to seek a clarifation on the issue. When he walked into the Master's room at Dakshineswar he found that Sri Ramakrishna was involved in killing bed-bugs. The Master informed the devotee that these bugs disturbed his meditation, and that is why they had to be killed. Thus the disciple's doubt in the matter was cleared.

It is not as if it was a problem for Sri Ramakrishna!This is how the doubts of the Devotees get dispelled by spontaneous acts of the Guru.
Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
Mosquitoes have been troubling mediator's for Centuries and this question was posted to Osho while he was in Pune and this is what he said ( in a more humorous way )

Osho,
the whole of existence,
the birds, beasts, flowers and air call for our stillness,
our meditation.
All except one small insect,
this winged parasite
this buzzing disturber
this mosquito.
Is he the devil?

Here is Osho's Reply :
Mosquitoes are ancient meditators who have fallen, hence they are against anybody succeeding in meditation; they are very jealous. So whenever you meditate they are there to disturb, to distract.

And this is nothing new, this has always been so. In all the ancient scriptures it is mentioned, in Jaina scriptures particularly so, because the Jaina monk lives naked. Just think of a naked Jaina monk; and India, and mosquitoes. Mahavira had to give specific instructions on what attitude to take about mosquitoes. He had told his disciples that when mosquitoes attack, accept. This is the ultimate distraction: if you can win this then there is no other difficulty, no greater difficulty. And when he says, he knows – to live naked in India is a difficult thing.

Once I stayed in Sarnath, where Buddha delivered his first sermon, where Buddha turned the wheel of dhamma…the most important sermon, which became the beginning of a new tradition. I was staying with a Buddhist monk.

I have seen mosquitoes, but nothing to be compared with Sarnath mosquitoes. Pune mosquitoes are just nothing! You should feel very happy about it. You are fortunate that I am not in Sarnath. The mosquitoes were really that big.

Even in the daytime we used to sit under the mosquito nets. In one mosquito net, in one bed, would sit the Buddhist monk, in the other I would sit, and we would talk.

I said, “I am never going to come again” – because he was asking me to come again and stay. I said, “Never, never. This is my first and last time.”

He said, “That reminds me that down the ages Buddhist monks have been laughing and joking about why Buddha never came again to Sarnath. He came only once; he delivered the first sermon, and escaped.” He went many times to other places. He must have gone at least thirty times to Shravasti, he must have gone at least forty times to Rajgiri, and so on and so forth. Each place that he visited, he visited again and again. But Sarnath, only once; he never went back again to that place.

“And,” the monk said, “it is because of these mosquitoes. And you also say that you will never come again.”
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
I feel, we should not think much about these issues, we have to allow our nature to prevail. Our only duty is to continue with our sadhana. If mosquitoes bites and goes, just relieve the itch by a gentle scratch :D !!

Simple solution, light an incense stick and sit for meditation. if you have noticed, seldom we find mosquitoes in Puja Room that has been used daily to worship God with prayers, camphor, incense sticks. The potent of our prayers linger in the air and the vibrations too linger in the atmosphere in the Puja room. There seldom any mosquitoes are found.

Perseverance is the key to every problem that we may encounter. By increase in our Tapas, regular worship, meditation, no being will disturb us.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
We should have a dedicated place for our spiritual practices. Such a place is sanctified by our tapas, by our presence. What we fill this place purely depends on our selves. If we fill this place with pure satvic energies, so does the place emanate the same vibrations. If we fill the place with tams or rajas, so does the place emanate the same.

Which is why, our ancestors had highest acharam roughly 'cleanliness' - best practices.

Wash your limbs face before you enter this place.
Regular timely prayers,
Lighting camphor, incense sticks
Offering food to God.
Converse with God.
etc...

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
Dear Ravi Sir  and Nagaraj Sir,
Thanks a lot.
Regards,Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »

Bhagavan:

The discomforts will not worry you if your concentration is right.
Do not mind the discomforts. Keep your mind steady in meditation.
If you have not the strength and endurance to bear mosquito stings
how do you hope to gain realisation of the Self? Realisation must
be amidst all the turmoils of life. If you make yourself comfortable
and go to bed you fall asleep. Face the troubles but keep yourself
steady in meditation.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »

Once a devotee asked Bhagavan: What should I do when I am stung by mosquitoes while meditating?

Bhagavan: You can swat the mosquitoes. Just because you swat mosquitoes you will not go to Naraka.  If you
do not swat the mosquitoes it does not mean that you will go to Swarga.  In the best meditation, you will be aware
that a mosquito is biting you!

I found Nochur Venkataraman, continuing his discourse, while a mosquito was nicely biting him for long.  He neither
swatted it nor re-arrange his upper cloth to prevent it from coming to his shoulder!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »
Dear friends,
Though this may seem like a trivial topic almost humorous, in some ways it is a genuine problem (and actually quite serious at this stage of my sadhana)  for sadhaks like me which detracts from maintaining  continous 'I feeling ' abidance ,a way of self enquiry .
I would like friends here to comment on how we can practically solve this problem like for eg ,in terms of applying a mosquito cream as a physical measure and also psychically like what mental approach, could we apply to go back to "I feeling "abidance.
Sometimes it is tempting to give the mosquito a whack and say "Arunachala" both for the mosquito's sake and ours but surely there will be less violent measures and more effective measures that we can take.
Thanks and regards,
Anand Sundaram.

mosquitoes are not developed living creatures,  there need not be this much attention,  you can use odomos or something like that.

when i went to my Guru's house gate very lot of mosquitoes will come,   foreigners used to come preparted with creams .

everything just to be in moderation -- not extreme like some other religions..

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
Tolerance! :D
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
:D why poor mosquitoes, we are unable to bear people, and we are talking about tiny tiny mosquitoes hindering our sadhana! :D in lighter sense :D

Here is another, adding onus to tolerance:

D.: Is ‘surrender’ accepting all physical annoyances such as ants,
mosquitoes, snakes, etc., and, in accepting, willing or ceasing to
be really hurt by them?

M.: Whatever it is, is it apart from you, the seer or the thinker?

A Parsi lady from the audience intervened: If they are not apart,
do we not feel the sting of the ants?

M.: Whom does the ant sting? It is the body. You are not the body.
So long as you identify yourself with the body, you see the ants,
plants, etc. If you remain as the Self, there are not others apart
from the Self.

D.: The body feels the pain of the sting.

M.: If the body feels it, let it ask. Let the body take care of itself. How
does it matter to you?

The American lady again: Does complete surrender mean that all
noise and disturbance in our environment, even during meditation,
must be accepted? Or should we seek a cave in a mountain for
solitude? Did not Bhagavan do this?

M.: There is no going or returning. The Self is said to be unaffected
by the elements, infinite, eternal. It cannot move. There is no place
to move in for the Self.

D.: But, in the process of finding the Self, is this seeking external
help spiritually legitimate?

M.: The error lies in the identification of the Self with the body.
If Bhagavan is the body you may ask that body. But understand
him whom you address as Bhagavan. He is not the body. He
is the Self.

Then she referred to an article in Harijan where it is said that everything
is God and nothing belongs to the individual, and so on.

M.: Everything, the individual, God and all are only the Self.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta