Author Topic: Summa Iru  (Read 6244 times)

Hillablaze

• View Profile
Summa Iru
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
Silence is said to be the Highest teaching of Bhagavan. For those who are not able reap the full benefit of this Silence,   He prescribed "Summa Iru" which is supposed to be his highest 'Verbal Teaching'. This has been variously translated as " Just Be" , "Simply Be", "Keep Quiet", " Be Still".  For most of us who don't "get it", out of his compassion, He taught Self Enquiry. I am one of those who don't 'get it' and would like to invite views and advice from the more experienced devotees.

My question: What does it mean to "Just Be". How are we to understand the instruction? Is it something we can "do"?

Volumes have been written about the practice of "Who AM I" but Summa Iru is only a line or two with no commentaries.
_/\_

Obeisance to Bhagavan Sri Ramana

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Summa Iru
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
Dear Hill Blaze,

Summa Iru is the state of absolute stillness, without deeds, words, and even thoughts.  In this state of stillness, one can
experience the mind at least temporarily feeling the bliss in its pure state.  A pure mind is the Self. But this has to be practiced
to be ever still and then see that the mind becomes quiescent in the Self.  This permanent state, once reached, such a  realized
person, can do all work, make all speeches and of course he will not have any thoughts.  The deeds and speeches will be without
the doership.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
Dear Hill Blaze,

You may ask how can one speak or do work without thoughts (i.e. mind).  Muruganar says in Guru Vachaka Kovai, that the
Self or God within that self realized person does all the speeches and the works.  Atma or Self or God within uses the body as an instrument to do noble speeches and noble work.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:19:04 PM »
Dear Hillablaze,

How i understood "Just Be" is not anything which implies some doing actually,for the simple reason it means just be,whatever you(we) are. Not being this or that,think this or that,do this or that,nothing attached to simple being. To leave all behind,all what constitutes ego and person in the first place. And those are fears,desires,imagination. Just be for me means to drop all that,and just be that presence,simple being. Not to do anything. We need to stop running after thoughts,to rise above all activity. Coz we are not doing anything in the first place,only we need to become aware of it.

Now,that just be have and dont have much sense if You think about it deeply,coz for the one who is adressed not to do anything,that is quite impossible. The mind is motion itself,it is constant flow. But there lies the catch i believe.

We already are,we dont need to start to be. Infact,that is only certain thing like Bhagavan said,our sense of presence. We only need to drop all else which we attached to that,to stop to be some particular entity.

There self enquiry is essential. Self attention and self awareness. That is only thing we can do,along with investigation of everything we think we are.

I hope i wrote well what i wanted to say.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:23:26 AM by Jewell »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Subramanian,
Summa iru is not a state without thoughts;it is where there is no 'thinker'.our friend udai used to mention this -this used to be his favourite refrain.
The silence is something that no thought or deed can assail;they take place in the silence.
It is the natural state of Being.it cannot be 'practised'.
If we can admit that 'action' can take place spontaneously,it can likewise be understood that the 'thought' also can take place spontaneously.
This spontaneity and unison of thought,speech and action is the reason that jnanis are said to have the nature of a child(BAlA).
Namaskar

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
yes , to just be means to stop doing .
stop telling stories about yourself being someone doing something .
and yes silence is not a state and silence cannot be practiced .
all states come and go but silence is what never changes ... your true self .
how can you practice being who you already are ?   lol
there is no instruction to get anything because there is nothing to get , you are already it .
simply stop avoiding the truth of who you really are and see for yourself .
this is the invitation .
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »

I shall go with Muruganar than udai.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
A short  dialogue with Bhagavan on Summa Iru from Day by Day with Bhagavan

Question: What should one do in order to remain free from thoughts as advised by you? Is it only the enquiry ‘Who am I?’

Bhagavan: Only to remain still. Do it and see.

Question: It is impossible.

Bhagavan: Exactly. For the same reason the enquiry ‘Who am I?’ is advised. (Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, talk no. 322)

Bhagavan: All the age-long vasanas carry the mind outward and turn it to external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind turned inward. For that, effort is necessary for most people. Of course everybody, every book says, ‘Summa iru,’ i.e. ‘Be quiet or still’. But it is not easy. That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find one who has at once achieved the mauna or supreme state indicated by ‘Summa iru’ you may take it that the effort necessary has already been finished in a previous life. (Day by Day with Bhagavan, 11th January, 1946)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Hillablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
OM NAMO BHAGAVATE SRI RAMANAYA

Dear Friends,
Thank you for taking time to express your views.
I am grateful for all your responses.
_/\_
_/\_

Obeisance to Bhagavan Sri Ramana

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Silence is said to be the Highest teaching of Bhagavan. For those who are not able reap the full benefit of this Silence,   He prescribed "Summa Iru" which is supposed to be his highest 'Verbal Teaching'. This has been variously translated as " Just Be" , "Simply Be", "Keep Quiet", " Be Still".  For most of us who don't "get it", out of his compassion, He taught Self Enquiry. I am one of those who don't 'get it' and would like to invite views and advice from the more experienced devotees.

My question: What does it mean to "Just Be". How are we to understand the instruction? Is it something we can "do"?

Volumes have been written about the practice of "Who AM I" but Summa Iru is only a line or two with no commentaries.

I once asked David Godman how to practice summa Iru,  he told that we are most likely to fail when we try to practice it.  Summa Iru state is the fruit of long continued sadhana. It will happen one day by itself.

anirudh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »
Summa Iru means 'just be' and not to be this or that. To be the self one must remove the false identification of self with the not self. Summa Iru is detachment. Let the thoughts come and go. Let the activities and work go on automatically. Don't attach any significance to them. The effort is the bondage. Every thought and ego will be destroyed if u 'just be' the self. It can be practiced by simply observing the mind. By being detached to your thoughts and observing the workings of your mind.It is also helpful to remind ourselves while practicing that I am different from the thoughts, body. All thoughts will themselves get destroyed and the feeling of 'I am' remains. I have reached only till this stage and that too just once. Hope it was helpful.

Hari Om