Author Topic: MARAGATHAM - ANDAVAN PICCHAI - Mountain Path, July-Sept. 2013.  (Read 3694 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

(An article by V.S. Krishnan)

We often hear and read about saints and sages as if they are distant from us and impossible to emulate. We rarely hear
about those who lead lives of quiet sanctity and whose humility hides their greatness.  There are many hidden saints who
lead ordinary lives. There does not seem to be any apparent difference between them and those who spend their time in
the pursuit of plain survival or the fulfillment of their ever burgeoning desires.  Often they are vilified for the deceptively strange
behavior that can, according to the accepted norms, border on madness.  One such saint was a housewife in Chennai in the
mid 20th century.  Her story is an example of fortitude and conviction.  It is also a story of anguish and of the courage to overcome
numerous obstacles, with and without understanding of those closest who are bewildered by the turn of events.

Maragatham's is an extraordinary story. She was born to Sankaranarayana Sastri and his wife Sitalakshmi on the 6th of
September 1899 in Mylapore, Chennai.  She was named Maragathavalli. 'Maragatham' is Tamizh for emerald, and Valli is
the name of Lord Muruga's consort.  Hailing from a family of scholars, Sastri expected his daughter to be educated and engaged
a private tutor for her. However, Maragatham did not show much interest in formal studies.  Her mother Sitalakshmi had passed
away early in her childhood and her father spent most of his time absorbed in his own studies.

Sankaranarayna Sastri was a scholar by nature, and a brilliant lawyer.  One day, whilst he was in his library, deeply absorbed in
his studies, his attention was diverted by the unusual occurrence of someone entering the room, for nobody disturbed him when
he was working.  Looking up, he saw his daughter Maragatham standing by his side, looking uncharacteristically serious. Sastri
was puzzled and asked her what the matter was.  Maragatham replied not in words but with a song.  The strangeness of her
behavior was overridden by the underlying meaning of the song she had sung.  The scholarly Sastri understood the eternal
truth implicit in the lyrics of the song, the truth sought by spiritual seekers and saints.

When her song ended Sastri said to his daughter, 'Brilliantly composed and beautifully rendered. Tell me, when and where did you
learn this song?'

'Muruga appeared in my dream last night and graced me. The song came into my mind on its own', she replied simply!

(Krishna Rao and Radha and Co., The Gift of God or Andavan Picahai, Divine Life Society, Sivananda Nagar, U.P. 1983).

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: MARAGATHAM - ANDAVAN PICCHAI - Mountain Path, July-Sept. 2013.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »

continues....

Maragatham's song began with words: 'In the beginning there was only one. It became two and then three and then
many.'

Sastri understood instantly. 'One' represented the eternal reality, Brahman; the 'two' represented Vishnu and Siva;
the 'three' represented the addition of Brahma, the creator; and 'many' symbolized the different forms of God.  The same
meaning is conveyed in Arunagiri Nathar's Tiruppugazh, in which he explains how 'one' became 'many'  (Or uruvAkiya
tharaka...).

In keeping with the social norms of the day, Sastri got Maragatham married to Narasimhan, honoring a commitment that
his father made to Narasimhan's family a generation before. After her marriage, Maragatham visited her parental home
regularly, and on one such visit during Navaratri festival she asked her grandmother to tell a story at bed time.  Maragatham
had grown up hearing the great tales of Muruga from her grandmother who was an ardent devotee of Tiruttani Muruga,
and, as usual, the story that evening extolled His glory.

Maragatham fell asleep, and that night, she had a dream that changed the course of her life.  In the same way that Muruga
had repeatedly appeared in the dreams of VaLLi, the tribal girl, who became His consort, He began to come to Maragathavalli
in her dreams, and captured her soul.  Lord Muruga was in the habit of capturing the hearts. First it was VaLLi and then the
heart of various devotees. That is why Saint Arunagiri Nathar described him as the 'thief who captured hearts.  (Semman magaLai
thirudum thirudan -  kandar anubhuti.).             

Maragatham explained her dream experience to her family members, saying, 'Muruga came in my dream.  He took my hands
into His hand and said, 'I love you.'  I felt He was taking possession of me.  He blessed me like an  Acharya initiating his disciple
into sainthood. I felt I was completely in the hands of Tiruttani Muruga. It is His grace that has given me voice as singer. He asked
me to give Him garlands, not of jasmine or rose but made of sweet Tamizh verses.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »

continues....

"This is what Lord Ranganatha asked His devotee, Andal, to do, and just as Tiruppavai started flowing from Andal, songs on
the glory of Lord Muruga came spontaneously to me.  I made no effort in their composition, -- I did not pause for even a second
while lyrics and music flowed from within me,-- and I adorned twelve broad shoulders of Muruga with my garland of songs.  Muruga
has entered deep into the recess of my heart, and taken a permanent seat there and it was He who composed the songs for me."   
(Maragatham - Andavan Picchai as told to the author of The Gift of God or Andavan Picchai, Krishna Rao).

Maragatham rendered many songs, all instantly and, hearing them, her family was enthralled. 

Maragatham became an ardent devotee of Muruga, always singing His glory.  Although she lived in a world surrounded by her
family and their material possessions, she remained detached from it all.  Her physical body dutifully carried out the various
duties to her husband, children and relations, but her inner Self was absorbed in Muruga.  She mingled with her loved ones and
seemed apparently to be in the midst of samsara, but her heart always rested joyfully at the lotus feet of Lord Muruga. Around
her neck, she wore an emerald necklace, symbolic of her name, and she named it Muruga symbolic of her aspiration to be one
with the Lord.

Maragatham's devotion and aspiration to unite with Lord Muruga were pure, and one day the Lord descended to grace her with
a vision.  Lord Muruga had come to Vallimalai, the land of Nambirajan, to see Valli.  When Muruga came then, Sundaravalli, as
she was known, was tending the millet fields.  When Lord Muruga came now, Maragatha Valli was in the hospital, having
just given birth to a baby. While sitting on the hospital bed, with her baby nearby, Maragatham had a vision of Muruga and, at
once, she began to sing songs, in His praise.  She was so involved in her songs, that she did not hear her baby crying.  The
nurse heard it and asked Maragatham to take care of the child, when her parents-in-law heard about this from the nurse, they
reprimanded Maragatham for neglecting her baby.  The manuscripts of her compositions were taken away from her and locked
in a trunk.

Maragatham started to refer to Muruga as Aandi Pandaram, the saint who has renounced everything and lives entirely on the
food offered by public.  This attitude of total renunciation, which inspired Maragatham, did not go well in a family whose members
aspired for material prosperity.  Despite the tension that this created, Maragatham went about her daily life, singing her songs
and distancing herself from the material world, and thus bringing herself closer to the Lord.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »

continues....

Life went on for Maragatham. She had many children; she witnessed the death of some; she dealt with and overcame difficulties
that family faced; through it all she remained calm, composed and dispassionate, her attention always centered on Lord Muruga.   
The only expression of her distance or grievance was in the songs she she sang to Muruga.

In one song, she sung, 'Lord Muruga!  You appear now and disappear later.  Why do I not experience you always?'  Then, one
day,  Muruga came in her vision and said, 'O foolish one, why do you search for me outside, when I reside deep in your heart?'

Her life reached a turning point in the year 1948.  She was climbing down the stairs when she slipped and fell. She sustained
serious injuries and was admitted to the hospital.  Her condition became critical and gradually she went into coma.  She briefly
regained consciousness before lapsing into a coma again.  She remained in this state, alternating between consciousness and
unconsciousness, for about six months.  Occasionally, when she regained consciousness, she would ask, 'Who are you?' or
'Who am I?', recognizing neither others nor indeed herself.  All the health indicators -- her pulse rate, blood pressure and heart
beat -- signaled her end. But Maragatham proved it all wrong.

In the opening verses which invoke the blessings of the guru Tiruppugazh devotees hail Arunagiri Nathar for describing Muruga
as one who has no beginning or end; (Andadi illa iraivanukku - Kandar Andati). Similarly, Maragatham showed that a true
devotee of Muruga also has no beginning or end and that every end marks a beginning.  It was not the end of Maragatham's
life, but the beginning of a new phase.  She recovered fully and went about her life as wife and mother.  She resumed her
devotional work of singing as well.  As Arunagiri Nathar said in Kandar Anubhuti, she kept herself occupied with the work of
singing the glory of Muruga -- Padum paniye paniyai aruLvai.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

continues....

While Maragatham was in a coma, someone from the family had opened the trunk in which her mother in law had kept all the
song scripts.  These manuscripts were sent to a great luminary, known as Tiruppugazh Mani Iyer. A gentleman who had gone
to attend the Step Festival (Padi vizha) at Tiruttani returned with a message from Mani Iyer that he was very impressed with
Maragatham's compositions and he had initiated the process of publishing them.  He also sent her, as Prasad, a photograph
of Arunagiri Nathar. 

Sometime in 1950, Maragatham went to Tiruvannamalai  with some friends.  By the time they reached the temple of Arunachala,
it was 10 PM. and too late for darsan.  However, Maragatham and some of her friends managed to go inside, and after worshipping
Arunachala, they reached the shrine of Unnamulai Amman. There they saw a young boy beckoning them.  The boy helped them
to conduct Pujas and gave them Prasad.  When asked, he said his name was Dandapani.  The boy caught hold of Maragatham's
hands and led her to the shrine of Lord Muruga on the northern side, left her there and disappeared.  It was exactly at this spot
that Lord Muruga had graced His devotee, Arunagiri Nathar with His darsan.  (Kambattu Ilayanar).

Arunagiri Nathar, affirms this fact in the opening lines of his immortal  work Kandar Alankaram by saying, 'I have received the darsan
at the northern side  of the tower of Arunai Temple. (Adalarunai tiru gopurathe antha vayilukkku vada arukil senRu kandukonden..)
When some members  of the group went into the temple, next morning, and inquired about the boy, the temple priests said that
they knew of no such boy, and further, it was impossible for anyone to perform puja at that time of night when the temple was
closed.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »

continues....

From the temple of Arunachala, Maragatham and her friends proceeded to Sri Ramanasramam.  While entering the Asramam,
Maragatham felt as if she was entering her own house.  She saw the Maharshi reclined in the Hall, His grace radiating everywhere.
Seeing Him, she felt she was looking at her own Self.  She prostrated before Bhagavan, and His grace fell on her when she rose.
From the blessing that emanated from His benign eyes, and Maragatham knew that Bhagavan was initiating her to Sainthood by
means of His eyes -- nayana diksha.  She underwent a divine experience.  A brilliant light passed through her which eliiminated
all her ignorance and elevated her to the state of realization.  She now got the answer to the question that was bothering her
all along: 'Who am I?'. She realized that the Self in her is the expression of the eternal reality, the Parabrahman.  But the most
amazing moment was yet to come. 

Maharshi asked her: 'Have you met Dandapani?'

Maragatham stood motionless for a moment.  How could Bhagavan know of her experience at Arunachaleswarar Temple the
evening before?

From the bunch of grapes Maragatham brought, Bhagavan took one and put it in His mouth saying: 'This body likes these grapes',indicating by His action, His recognition of the presence of divinity in her.

Later, when Sri Ramana Maharshi became very seriously ill, Maragatham went once more to Sri Ramanasramam, on 12th
April 1950, a few days before His Mahanirvana.  There was a steady stream of devotees eager to have darsan of Bhagavan
and, in view of the heavy rush, only one minute was earmarked for everyone.  Maragatham waited her turn, with Bhagavan's
photo on her hand. When she reached Bhagavan, she did not know where to set down the photo, and she said that Bhagavan
Himself took it from her to enable her to do proper pranam to Him.  He smiled and gave her back the photo as a mark of His
blessing.  Maragatham offered her obeisance once more and left.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »

continues...

Two days later, the world heard the news that Bhagavan had attained Mahasamadhi.  Maragatham remained in a state
of truth, awareness and bliss - Sat Chit Ananda: the experience which she documented under the title Jiva Brahma Aikyam
(The Unity of Jiva and Brahman)  Maragatham gave the manuscript to Chengalvarya Pillai. (Chengalvaraya Pillai is a great
scholar and an ardent devotee of Tiruttani Muruga. It is believed that the songs composed by Arunagiri Nathar, believed to
be over 16000, were scattered at different places. It was Sri Changalvarya Pillai who made a thorough search and obtained
the songs from different persons by great effort.  If had not taken the initiative and efforts, perhaps we would not have been
blessed with 1400 songs of Tiruppugazh that guide humanity to the path of truth and perfection.  Apart from giving interpretations
to Tiruppugazh songs, he has written an outstanding research work, Arunagiri Nathar VarlArum nool ArAichiyum, (Arunagiri Nathar's
history and the research on his songs).     

Chengalvarya Pillai who went through Maragatham's song thoroughly and passed it on to Muruganar, an ardent devotee of
Bhagavan Ramana.  Impressed by Maragatham's interpretation of the state of Samadhi, Muruganar asked Chengalvarya Pillai
to publish it, but unfortunately, the manuscript got destroyed.

She had a further encounter with Bhagavan Ramana on the 28th August 1951.  She walked into the courtyard of her house
and saw Him sitting on the platform, holding Dandapani's hand.  He said, 'Are you afraid of me because you think I am a ghost?
Come close to me; I am Ramana. I have come to talk with you, just as  you desired when you met me last time.'  He then explained
the secrets of Vedanta about the subtle body, the gross body and the five kosas.  He gave her Jnana and then initiated her into
the Gayatri Mantra.  Being a woman, she felt hesitant to recite the holiest mantra, but  Maharshi made her repeat it along with
Him.  Much of His upadesa, however, was transmitted to her through His piercing look.  Once again she prostrated before Sri
Ramana and tried to touch His feet, but found herself unable to do so.  Ramana Maharshi laughed and told her gross body could
not feel His subtle body.  He blessed her by placing His hands on her head, and that she could feel.  The Maharhi again explained
that He could touch her.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »

continues....

The vision then vanished and she entered a deep state, losing all sense of her body and time.  Her family could not
revive her and she remained in this state for two days.  Tiruppugazh Mani Iyer came to the house the next day for
the weekly bhajan, and after he had sung Kandhar Anubhuti she slowly opened her eyes.  Mani Iyer applied kumkum
on her forehead and asked her how she was.

A song burst forth from her lips, how she had climbed six steps and seen the light of Arunachala (Annamalai Jyoti). She
had gone further, and there was nothing there, and she merged into that nothingness.  When they wanted more explanation
of her experience she could not say anything, because when she thought of it she would again lose consciousness of this
world.  Later on, however, through the grace of Bhagavan Ramana, she wrote a number of songs called Shashti Malai,
giving a description of all six states of consciousness. 

Once she visited Srisailam along with her friends, and there, quite by chance, she met her mentor, Tiruppugazh Sri Mani Iyer.
Telling Maragatham that the time and place were right for him to give upadesa (instruction), he initiated her to the state of
sainthood.  Days later, Mani Iyer went to Maragatham's house to conduct a bhajan.  She expressed her joy at having been
blessed with upadesa by him in Srisailam.  To her surprise, Mani Iyer tod her that he had not been in Srisailam, and she
realized that it was Lord Muruga himself who had appeared as her Guru.  Maragatham now entered a new phase of her life.
It reminds one of Arunagiri Nathar who sang in in his Kandhar Anubhuti -- 'Come as my guru, Oh Lord and grace me.' (GuruvAi
varuVai aruLvAi Guhane....                   

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »

continues.......

Biographers who studied her life history in depth have come across some intriguing facts when they did research into the time,
in 1948, when she was in hospital in a coma.  Her recovery was remarkable and very unusual, despite all the signs and symptoms
pointing to a hopeless prognosis.   Her subsequent behavioral pattern also showed that Maragatham was a changed person.  Her
biographers concluded that someone else was in her body.  The biographers stumbled upon a unique character named Ramakrishna,
a Telugu Brahmin by birth and, by linking events in his life with Maragatham's, they concluded that Ramakrishna resided in Maragatham's
body.  (David Godman in his blog has written about it a couple of years back.)

Ramakrishna's life in Pinnavasal in Tamizh Nadu was one of meditation and austerities.  His aim was to attain spiritual perfection.
He was married to Lakshmi, a devout woman ever willing to serve her husband, but Ramakrishna kept her at a distance, asking
her to leave whenever she came near him.  Though Lakshmi nursed a grievance deep in her heart, she never showed it and took
his behavior in her stride.  In his eagerness to attain the ultimate end of spirituality, Ramakrishna traveled to Rishikesh and met
Swami Sivananda, but Swamiji turned down his request for initiation into sannyasa. 

Undeterred, Ramakrishna adopted sainthood by mentally accepting the Paramaguru Sadasiva Brahmendra whose samadhi is at
Nerur near Karur, as his Guru (mAnasika guru) and proceeded on his spiritual path.  But something was holding him back; he could
not reach his desired spiritual destination.  On consulting his Guru, Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra, he was told that he still carried the
consequence of his karma (karma vinai), and the guru suggested a way out of his predicament.  Ramakrishna had gained siddha
power from his tapas, and decided to use it to enter into the body of a mature devotee in order to attain his spiritual end.
Sometime, in the 1943, Ramakrishna went into a state of samadhi  - state of body-lessness -- and went in search of a person who
was purified by devotion and whose life had come nearly to its end.                 

Maragatham's biographers and both Maragatham's and Ramakrishna's close companions believe that Ramakrishna's soul
hovered for five years and ultimately entered Maragatham's body in 1948. 

continued.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Very intriguing post. Somehow,all these stories about powers and such things evoke some strong repulsion in me. I wonder,how selfish is to manipulate with such things,and even more,to gain something. Spiritual perfection?! ??? I trow to the wind such perfection! It is for the ego,God does'nt need such perfection. It is more noble to be born like a worm. You have karma,be a man,face it. It is self imposed anyway. I find this ways to be somehow non ethical. And when I read those mettods,i feel some coldness and darkness coming from them. Even if Mother allowed such thing by "giving powers"(which is actually nothing more then Her play Only). Althrough I think that such a thing is more delusive and non existed then anything else. One Big delusion in illusion.

That's why I find Maharaj's and Bhagavan's approach so natural,so healthy. Nothing spooky,nothing wierd,just sanity.

Anyway,this is just sharing of thoughts,coz I always get struck by such stupid things,like siddhis are.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:35:13 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
Dear Jewell,

No doubt siddhis used by Ramakrishna are repulsive.  But, you should see the eagerness of Ramakrishna to attain liberation.
That is why, he used siddhic powers to enter into the body of Maragatham.  Sometimes means justify the ends.  This is there
in all religions.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
Dear Jewell,

Take for example the Bible story.  One gentleman asked Jesus whether he can marry his sister in law, when his brother
has died.  Jesus said: Yes. You can marry her.  Whereas Jesus has said on many occasions, 'Do  not look at your neighbor's
wife with lust.  In the quoted case, He permitted the gentleman to marry his sister in law.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »

continues...

The question that naturally arises is how, by entering into the body of another person, Ramakrishna could free himself from
the consequences of sufferings, he had inflicted on his wife. It is possible, that by entering into the body of a person of
pure soul, like Maragatham, he gained Jnana and attained Self Realization.  And once the Self is realized, the question   
of karma loses its relevance.  All scriptures are unanimous in their view that attainment of Atma Jnana that leads to realization
is possible only when devotion matures. Ramakrishna must have found that Maragatham's body was the ideal vessel from
which to gain jnana.

Once Ramakrishna had taken residence in Maragatham's body, she began to exhibit character traits that were never hers. Her
devotion to Murugan was still steadfast and continued to manifest in her songs. Her interest in visiting places  like Tiruvannamalaiand her participation to Tiruppugazh bhajans were also natural.  But the eagerness to go to Srisailam, to see Ramana Maharshi and to
visit Sivananda Ashram were evidence of the presence of Ramakrishna who was quest of Jnana. 

Ramakrishna's presence was acknowledged by Swami Sivananada and the then Sankaracharya of Kanchi, Sri Chandrasekhara
Saraswati, and therefore accepted as true by others.  Indeed the priest at Avudaiyar Koil, where Ramakrishna had performed
austerities for many years, greeted Maragatham as if she was Ramakrishna, when she visited that place.

Ramakrishna's traits began to manifest in a person of Maragatham one after another, but as those to close to her observed,
her devotion for Lord Muruga remained constant.  As usual, Muruga often came into her dream and guided her.  Once, Murugacame in her vision and said, 'This body of yours is a temple where a great saint will visit. Continue your path of devotion and I bless
you to sing again.' 

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
Sri Subramanian, who is this Ramakrishna? It seems that he is not Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa because He lived much earlier than Swami Sivananda.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
Dear Jewell,

No doubt siddhis used by Ramakrishna are repulsive.  But, you should see the eagerness of Ramakrishna to attain liberation.
That is why, he used siddhic powers to enter into the body of Maragatham.  Sometimes means justify the ends.  This is there
in all religions.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Yes,i understand. But i dont agree that means sometimes justify the ends. Means can be very questionable,especially when are somehow very self oriented and selfish. I would respect more decision to stay in present body and to allow even to be reborn. This looks like running to me. Especially,when it is about knowledgable person,who had certain experiences,and knew what body and soul is,who is going to be "reborn" actually,and most important,who desires liberation in the first place. It is one thing when someone dont know,but for someone who knows,it is quite different situation. If you know what everything is,to some extent,why is so disasterous to be "reborn". When everything is illusion anyway. There come endurance anyway.
I somehow dont see eagerness there,but ambition. It is more noble to let nature take its course.
I strongly believe that those powers are not given to use them,but only to test ones character. Also,it is different to use them to help another,but quite different to help your own little self. I dont know why,but i dont approve such things,and i dont like anything which is in border line with occult. Even more,because i find them very delusional and quite violent. Be a Saint without powers.

Anyway,this is just my opinion,and who knows what is exact story behind this,and how it happened to the detail.  Nevertheless,it is interesting article,dear Sir.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:35:47 PM by Jewell »