Author Topic: What are these accessories for? (Pictures attached)  (Read 1997 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
What are these accessories for? (Pictures attached)
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »
Namaste,

Could you help me to find out what these accessories are for?
I got this set as a gift from a friend who went back Tiruvannamalai.

1) Rudraksha japa mala with 32+1 beads (instead of 54 or 108 beads)
     Can it be used for mantra yoga with Arunachala Shiva mantra? Who uses that kind?
     What can be known about this kind of japa mala?

2) Black Shiva Lingam Stones (magnetic)
     What are they for?

3) A mala of 108+1 beads - Can that one in the picture be used with Shaiva mantras? Or what is it for? Who uses such one?

I am interested in it all as they are from Tiruvannamalai and not from a western costume-jewellery shop.

(Of course, I have a Rudraksha japa mala of 108 beads that I use and pictures of Bhagavan and Arunachala and a Shiva Murti. But I know what they are for :) )

Thank you for your kind answers.

Arunachalam

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: What are these accessories for? (Pictures attached)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
Dear Kicsi,

As you have rightly observed the 1st and 3rd ones are Japa malas, especially, Rudraksha is akin to Shiva, and since Arunachala is Shiva swarupa, you can use them for your japa. It is most appropriate and moreover, Rudrakshas (fruits) are said to have direct effect on ones physic and energies, they have a lot to facilitate ones sadhana, kundalini sciences. It shields the one wearing from negative energies, and thus helps one to focus in meditation. More detailed information can be got from several websites. the third one looks like a sandal beeds rosary. It is said to be Vishnu Swarupa as it is Vishnu who is a lover of Sandal. However you could use either of the two for japa. You can chant any name of God as your heart desires.

Those magnets that look like Lingams, i do not feel right, the are not persay actually lingam, they are merely shaped as lingam. these magnets have no usage in traditional right spiritual practices. Magnets are more used in occult sciences. They have no place in traditional spiritual sadhana, even though there may be many significances.

Hope this is of some help

The number of beeds 54 or 108 or even 27 are only for convinience. You may use the numbers as you feel comfortable.

--
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:47:49 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »
Dear Kicsi,

There is no +1 bead. Either it is 108 or 54 or 27.  Do  not buy any Lingam unless it is made of pure spatikam. A spatika Lingam
will cost you a fortune and you have to go to a reliable seller.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:26:18 PM »
Dear Sir,

I think the +1 beed becomes a pendant. at the centre. to get to know that one cycle of japa of 108 is over. therefore it comes like 108+1 54+1 or 27+1

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
If that is so, it must be a sphatika mani and not rudraksha.  It is usually called Meru. Just to know that one round of telling the
beads is over.

Arunachala Siva.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »
Namaste,
Thank you for your answers.

I would like to pay attention to the mala in the first picure.
That is made of Rudraksha and it has 32+1 beads.
What kind of a mala is that?

I also find description of malas with 27 / 54 / 108 beads but not one with 32 beads for shaiva people.
Somehow I had bad feelings towards the (magnetic) stones and I could't imagine it using during a worship or such. It also seemed untraditional to me.

Thank your for your answers.
Arunachala Shiva