Author Topic: Some questions about Hindu mythology  (Read 8912 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about Hindu mythology
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »
Dear friends,

I actualy dont know from where is exsactly originating that custom,like Sri Nagaraj quoted,probably from Europe. But I know that we have it in Serbia. It is only custom,some follow it,some not,but it is still more or less  alive in rural Serbia. I remember my grandma said to me that her parents gave huge gifts for her marriage. My grandpa know to say when teasing her,that he only married her coz she was rich. :D We call that custom "miraz". From the day girl is born,all mothers start to collect things for her marriage.

With love and prayers,

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

Jyothi,

it appears you seem to gather information from unauthentic sources. It is important to be sure about the source and their reputation and credibility. There are innumerable sources for information in the web, but most of them are bogus and spread wrong facts.
Well, it seems true that in India (and in China too, because of the only one child politics of the communist party) there are more men than women:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_states_and_territories_ranking_by_sex_ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio

The other social aspect concerning the status of women in Indian Society-I warmly recommend the Talk by Swami Vivekananda,so very incisive and objective and insightful.
Here is an excerpt:
"When I hear Western women denounce the confining of the feet of Chinese ladies, they never seem to think of the corsets which are doing far more injury to the race. This is just one example; for you must know that cramping the feet does not do one-millionth part of the injury to the human form that the corset has done and is doing — when every organ is displaced and the spine is curved like a serpent. When measurements are taken, you can note the curvatures. I do not mean that as a criticism but just to point out to you the situation, that as you stand aghast at women of other races, thinking that you are supreme, the very reason that they do not adopt your manners and customs shows that they also stand aghast at you.
That is true: Wearing corsets and speaking critical about foot deformation is hypocritical.

Jyothi,

regarding Dowry, let me present you the following excerpt:

Dowry was not a part of the Indian marriage before European influence crept into the society. The earliest example of Europeans practicing the dowry in India, the case of Mumbai, which was presented as part of the dowry when Princess Catherine de Braganza of Portugal was married to King Charles II in 1661. The native population disliked practicing dowry, as they believed that this would lead "obliged to buy them husbands". Writes Alex Knox, when addressed to David Doig, Lord Provost of Montrose,

"As I observed before, their marriages are all conducted by the parents during the parties infancy, the expence of this ceremoney, which is considerable according to the ranks of the persons married, is always from the bridegroom's family, nor is it customary to give any fortunes with their daughters, because it should not be said they were obliged to buy them husbands, for this custom it seems they despise the Europeans very much."

(Wikipedia)

--
Thank you for this information, I didn't know that.  :)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
Friends,
In a lighter vein,a Good friend had posted this in David's blog:

Recently, I thinking about Sri Ramakrishna's devotion to Kali and Sri Ramana's devotion to Arunachala.
My mind wandered a little bit and I then imagined a quarrel between Kali and Arunachala over their sons - Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Ramana.

The quarrel goes like this.
Kali to Arunachala - "A fine husband you are ! You have enticed away all my sons "

Arunachala - "Why ? What is it I have done now ?"

Kali - "Look at my son - Ramana. He was with me at Madurai. And then you enticed him away to Tiruvannamalai. He left Madurai saying - 'I have in search of my Father left......' What about me ? Why coudn't he say - 'I have in search of my Mother left....' ?.
Not only that. When I asked him to come back, he talked some high sounding philosophy to me - 'the Ordainer controls the fate.......blah... blah'. As if I don't know all that.He wrote all those songs in praise of you and nothing in praise of me.
It was the same with that Seshadri. He was with me in Kanchi. He left me and ran away to you.
And what about Jesus - 'I and my Father are one'. Bah ! Why coudn't he say - 'I and my Mother are one'?
Here Kali pauses for breath and Aruanchala seizes the opportunity to have a word.(Men must wait for their womenfolk to pause for breath; then only can they squeeze in a word before the next onslaught begins)

Arunachala - "Fine, I accept your arguments about my sons - Jesus, Ramana and Seshadri. But what about your son - Ramakrishna. You wrapped you him around your finger so much, that he looked upon his own wife (Sarada) as yourself. Then, what about your other sons - Ramprasad, Muthuswamy Dikshitar, Shyama Sastri. All of them clung to your pallu and never cared to even look at me. All of them sang in praise of you only. All of them - Mamma's boys "!

Kali (a little pacified now) and smiling complacently -"Yes, you are right about Ramakrishna and others. In their case, I ensured that they were always with me and resisted all your tricks and blandishments".

Arunachala (in a further bid to mollify her) now says - "And it is simply not true that Ramana ignored you and did not sing songs in your paise".

Kali in surpise - "When did he ever sing about me ?"

Arunachala - "When Ganapati Muni sang the Uma Sahsranamam, did not both the Muni and Ramana himself confirm that the final 300 verses or so were inspired by Ramana ? The Muni was only a mouthpiece when it came to those 300 verses and Ramana was the real author.

Not only that. Did not Ramana give liberation to both his biological mother and the cow Lakshmi (both of them belonging to the female sex).

And he was the first enlightened person to clearly, un-equivocally, un-ambigiously state that when it comes to Spiritual practices - Women have the same rights as Men do. Even the Buddha hesitated before finally accepting women in his Sangha.

So you see, Ramana was if anything, more partial towards his female devotees (your daughters) than his male devotees (my sons).

Kali now completely mollified, goes off in search of Ramana, Ramakrishna, Seshadri and her other sons and Arunachala heaves a sigh of relief."

:)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
Somewhere Narada has played some trick :D which has resulted in such wonderful exchanges. Thanks for sharing... excellent!!!
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
@Ravi N.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
Nagaraj,
I consulted Narada and he has this to say:
"I do admit having engineered quite a few quarrels but certainly not this one.wonder how i missed this and allow another to seize the opportunity and initiative!
I think i am not updating myself about the happenings in the Bhu loka.
Thanks very much for the update!
Narayana!Narayana!Narayana"  :)

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
Well, according to this Wikipedia article Narada never married but claimed to have 60 wives.
Perhaps he's just too busy these days?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 07:04:57 AM »
Jyothi,
Plain logic should tell us that Narada would have been better updated with the going on in this world with just one wife!What to speak of 60 wives!Wikipedia is outdated :)
You may like to explore stories about Sage Narada:
http://www.webonautics.com/mythology/narada.html
Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

I have already written to you that you should not trust Wikipedia for understanding Hindu Puranas.  Read regular
websites or the relevant English books.  Wikipedia is many a times wrong and not merely outdated.

Arunachala Siva.   

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:31 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Saint Arunagiri Nathar says that Tiruvenkatam (Tirupati) is Muruga temple only.  There are songs about Tiruvenkatam Murugan in
Tiruppugazh.  Sri Venkateswara is said to have long hair (as you have stated) and there are also small breasts and accordingly
it is Amba's idol only.  With heavy alankaram the breasts are hidden and the long hair behind is not seen.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Nagaraj and Subramaniam sir,

I think in this scenario I have to disagree both of you strong  :)

This is like opening a big jar containing the mysteries as that in Padmanabha Swamy temple.

This is related to the faith of lakhs and lakhs, crores and crores of Hindu devotees spread across all over India and all over all sub castes.

I think the deity there is only Lord VenkataRamana the incarnation Srinivasa of Vishnu.

Because Sage of Kanchi has categorically praised the shrine as Perumal shrine only.

Besides, there are other 6 hills like Garudadhri, Venkatadri, Narayandri etc.

Tirumala Hills and Arunachala Hills are having strong connection --  Mother first went to Tirupati and then only she was able to settle down at Immobile Arunachala.

Arunagiri nadar's thirupugazh says about a shrine Tirumalai ,  it should be a unique shrine it is not definitely this Thirumala hills.

Though I finally found peace and solace only at Arunachala,  in my earlier days while associating with Hare Krishna,  I was having lot of devotion to Govindha nama and this lord Tirumala perumal.

There is a magnetic force that pulls everybody there to Tirumala.

Though I agree in a nirguna stand point all Gods are One,  in Saguna plane,  definitely Tirumala is abode of Lord Vishnu only.

Sri Lakshmana Swami who very rarely praises shrines or temples other than Arunachala,  once told a mother of a body that Self itself has manifested in the form of Lord Venkateshwara in Tirumala.

There are lot of testimonies to prove that that indeed is a Vishnu idol only.

Also this has to do with the faith and sincerity and loving devotion of lot of people so it is not enjoyable on our part to believe these theories.

Last but not least Sri Vaishnavas are well know to belittle Shiva many times.  And they catch this episode easily and put a counter argument saying Advaitis, Shaivas also shatter their faith by spreading these mystery stories.

So taking into consideration all this, we better leave it to be a Vishnu Idol and really focus our devotion to real Muruga shrines which are available in many thousands.