Author Topic: MARAGATHAM - ANDAVAN PICCHAI - Mountain Path, July-Sept. 2013.  (Read 5759 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: MARAGATHAM - ANDAVAN PICCHAI - Mountain Path, July-Sept. 2013.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
Dear Jewell,

I agree with you.  But see today's post under Maragatham that both Swami Sivananda and Kanchi Mahaswami have confirmed
this.  If this is a questionable act, these great saints would have kept mum.  Is it not?

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
Dear Hari,

This Ramakrishna is not Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.  He is a spiritually oriented person, eager to attain liberation and
he is a South Indian.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »
Dear Jewell,

I agree with you.  But see today's post under Maragatham that both Swami Sivananda and Kanchi Mahaswami have confirmed
this.  If this is a questionable act, these great saints would have kept mum.  Is it not?

Arunachala Siva.   

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Yes,but how i understood,they only confirmed that that action happened,how much i could discern from the post. Also Swami Sivananda didnt suggested that to him,and even refused to gave him approval for sannyasa. Nevertheless,approved or not by such great souls,i still,very much,dont like it. Many great saints used such powers,and had very questionable mettods,but i simply dont agree with it. My heart says it is just not right. Reason,self realisation,is not making it more right. Sometimes some ordinary actions,from ordinary people,can be more noble. maybe because this belongs to occult,and i dont like those kind of things at all.

Anyway,like i have said,it is my impression from that much i have read from this post.

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »

continues....

Maragatham, surrendered herself to Muruga and continued her mission of singing his glory.  Most of the time, she remained
quiet and silent, in keeping with the hymn of Kandar Anubhuti that highlights the state of stillness (Summa Iru). Simultaneously,
Ramakrishna's personality began to become apparent, prompting Maragatham, who has been treading the path of devotion
all along, to focus now on the path of Jnana.  In 1954, Maragatham went to Rishikesh and met Swami Sivananada, and requested
him to accept her as a sannyasini.  Since Maragatham was a grihasta, a married woman with a family, Swami Sivananda was
reluctant to initiate her.  Ramakrishna (in her) asserted himself, and she persisted in her request. Finally, Swami Sivananada agreed
that she could continue to lead a family and yet remain detached from it as a true sannyasini.

Maragatham recounts experience:

'That day, I was half insane, knowing and yet not knowing my whereabouts, and struggling like a ship caught in a storm. 
I came to Sivananda Ashram.  Swami Sivananda  gave me the refuge (abhaya) and removed all my fears and obstacles.  Calling
me to his side, he gave me the mantra diksha (initiation).  This was the seed of knowledge, gracefully implanted in the ground'
of my heart, by the Guru.  Well nourished, and watered, it sprouted like a blooming lotus.  On the 3rd March 1954, a protective
fence ws put on it by way of sannyasa, and I was sent back to live in the material world as a sannyasini.  The plant flowered on the
household fence from 1954 to 1968, yielding the fruit (grace). If it had continued to stay there, the raw fruit might have dried
up, withered and fallen away without ripening.  Hence on 4th July 1968, it was removed to the Vaishnavi Temple near Madras to
be under the protective care of Devi.  It started to ripen there. If the fruit was left on the tree, it could have been eaten away by
the crows, sparrows and squirrels, when ripened and got lost.  Mother Vaishnavi Devi wanted to give the fruit, when it ripened,
to Gurudev Bhagavan himself, who had planted the seed.  The fruit came into the hands of Swami Chidananda, Gurudev's
beloved successor, so that he could offer the ripe fruit at the right time to the right hand.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »

continues....

We see two phases in Maragatham's life, the first half entirely devoted to Muruga where she attained immortality, by uniting
with Muruga  (jiva brahma aikyam) and the second half which she gave to Ramakrishna to fulfill his allotted destiny (Self
Realization) by gaining Jnana from Swami Sivananda.

The foreword that she wrote for her biography gives us a better insight into her experience:  'He (Muruga) took permanent
residence inside my heart and His presence was felt whether I was awake or asleep.  It is so from the time He entered my
being in 1908 till this day, the Lord guarding me like the eyelids protecting the eyeballs.  He has shown me that He exists in
all forms, that He is present in all names, and that He alone appears as father and mother, as uncle and aunt, as lover and
the beloved, and as children and relation.  I found the one Supreme reflected as many like the one sun reflected as many in
the waves of the ocean.  My mind became calm and undisturbed, reflecting the Lord's presence, as placid lake reflecting the
full moon.'

After living in Rishikesh, Maragatham returned to Madras at the age of eighty nine and passed away peacefully in her family
home in November 1990.  Maragatham's divine calling is evidenced by the fact that she received the initiation of the
same mantra from six gurus -- from Lord Subramanya Himself at the age of nine; from the Kanchi Paramacharya; at Srisailam
from Tiruppugazh Sri Mani Iyer (though Mani Iyer never went to Srisailam at that time); from Sri Ramana Maharshi; from
Bhogar in Pazhani (the presiding Siddha of the holy shrine); and from Swami Sivananda, who initiated her into sannyasa.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »

continues....

Going through the life of Maragatham, two points emerge.  One, she received advice (upadesa) from a number of saints.
Is it advisable to have more than one Guru and, if so, whose advice would one follow and which saint one would adopt
as Guru?  Sage Dattatreya, the legendary avadhuta said to King Yadu:  'My bliss and contentment are the fruits of Self
Realization.  I have gained necessary wisdom from the whole creation through 24 gurus.  They are earth, air, sky, fire,
sun, pigeon, python, ocean, moth, elephant, ant, the harlot Pingala, playful boy and so on.  How can a playful boy be a guru?
Young boys do not nurse grudges nor have prejudices against anyone.  They do not know what is their own, or what belongs
to others.  Their happiness springs from their own selves, their innate creativity, and they do not need any external objects
or conditions to be happy.   I realized that the sage of perfect enlightenment is also such  A playful boy thus happened to
be my fifteenth guru.  Therefore, one can attain jnana from wherever it comes.'

The second point that strikes us is whether it would be justifiable for Ramakrishna to occupy the body of a devout woman.
Actually, the Self is the reflection of Brahman, the eternal Reality.  The Self in me is the same as the Self in others. They are
all one.  If at all we have to receive a message from this story, it is this: Maragatham was an embodiment of devotion.  Ramakrishna
was an embodiment of jnana.  It is when the devotion merges with jnana that one is able to realize his Supreme Self.

Sri Bhagavan said, 'Bhakti is Jnanamatha'.  Bhakti gives birth to Jnana.

CONCLUDED.

Arunachala Siva.