Author Topic: Some questions about Hindu mythology  (Read 5888 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
Some questions about Hindu mythology
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
As I am not an Indian, Hindu mythology sometimes is confusing for me.
Two questions often come to my mind:
- Why do Shiva & Uma have children but Vishnu & Lakshmi have none?
- Why do Shiva & Uma have sons only, but no daughter?
Books about Hinduism I read often state that this reflects the preference for sons and the aversion for daughters in the Hindu society (because of dowry).

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Some questions about Hindu mythology
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »
Jyothi,
Good observation.I will briefly place a few more observations for your consideration.
1.Brahma is the Lord of Creation and both he and his consort Saraswati do not have temple dedicated to them.Brahma is not worshipped.Vishnu and Shiva are worshipped with their consorts.
2.Vishnu is the Sustainer and he is the one who descends as avatar to destroy the 'Bad Ones' in this world.He and his consort are born and are worshipped as such.
3.Shiva is the Destroyer and yet he and his consort  have two sons Ganesh and Karthikeya who in turn have consorts.They are worshipped as well.Shiva is the one who is worshipped by the Asuras as well.He Grants boons to asuras and Vishnu is required to tackle them later!

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
Jyoti, you always ask the most unexpected questions :) initially looking at your name i presumed you to be from india and wondered how questions that you ask come from you :)

Vishnu has a son, Shashta, Aiyappan, when he became Mohini and begot this wonderful child from Shiva.

Also, the Cupid God, Manmatha is said to be of Vishnu's source only and some times, he is considered as his child. i do not have more information, as i myself have never thought in detail about why Vishnu and Lakshmi have no children.

Personal musings, Vishnu is neither male, female or the third. Shiva had to give half of his body to Parvati and revealed Ardhanaariswara, however, Vishnu Himself is Lakshmi, or Lakshmi herself is Vishnu, they are eka swarupa, not two. Only one.

What is Vishnu:

viShNO  vEvEshti vyApnOti iti vishnuh - That which pervades everywhere is Vishnu. Such being the case, there is no another. There is no question of children.

--
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:53:30 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Sri Soundarya Lahari says Manmatha is the son of Amba.   Amba and Vishnu are the same.  Saint Tirunavukkarasar says
that without Hari, there is no wife for Siva. 

Arunachaa Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
Saint Tirunavukkarasar says
that without Hari, there is no wife for Siva. 

Thanks sir, reflective thoughts. Also, from a trusted source, it was revealed that in Tirupati, it is actually Mohini swarupa as told by a top priest there. it seems the idol has long hair, like a woman, and there are many mysteries surrounding it.

Some say it to be Murugan also.

wonderful thoughts sir, very reflective...
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Saint Arunagiri Nathar says that Tiruvenkatam (Tirupati) is Muruga temple only.  There are songs about Tiruvenkatam Murugan in
Tiruppugazh.  Sri Venkateswara is said to have long hair (as you have stated) and there are also small breasts and accordingly
it is Amba's idol only.  With heavy alankaram the breasts are hidden and the long hair behind is not seen.

Arunachala Siva. 

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
Shiva is the one who is worshipped by the Asuras as well.He Grants boons to asuras and Vishnu is required to tackle them later!

Namaskar.
Is this not Devi's job?
She is a great demon fighter I read (Mahisasura, Bhandasura, Raktabija and so on).

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

In many instances, the boons given by Siva were wrongly misused by them and 'Vishnu came to the help of Siva.
eg. Vritthasura.

Devi is also a demon killer but it is in some other stories.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
The Gods are different aspects of same Single source, the aspect of caring, loving, affection, forms the Mother aspect, that is the Devi Tatva. The aspect of protecting from the wicked etc forms the Vishnu aspect, and the aspect of destruction is Rudra, and the aspects of creation is Brahma. These are all in the same source as your would like to see.

If you are inclined to Devi worship, then all the aspects of protection, care, destruction, creation, are found in Her. She is Poorna, complete absolute. Or if you are inclined to worship Shiva or Vishnu or any other God.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
Just like it is the aspect of tongue to taste, the eyes to see the ears to hear and so on. but they are all part of the same one
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:18:45 PM »
Why do Hindus not want daughters, not even the gods?
This confuses me - on the one hand you have all those powerful goddesses, on the other hand Hindu couples check the baby's sex before it is born and abort the girls.  ???
Where does that dowry tradition come from, is it from vedic times?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 07:37:07 AM »
Jyothi,
Hinduism(Sanatana Dharma) is very profound and it cannot be understood by people who are caught up in the materialistic ideas and fancies.The Purusha and Prakruti aspects cannot be treated as 'Genders' but are To be treated as Principles.We should not mix up the 'Beliefs ' of common people and extrapolate it and foist it on the Deities in the puranas or Vedas.

I am posting the response to your query regarding Brahma Vishnu and Shiva in the Kanchi Mahaswami Thread.Please read it there and before you go through it,just pause a while and consider that these are profound Truths expounded by sages and not  infantile imagination of imbeciles caught up in their fancies and desires of sons versus daughters!

Please take your time to read and assimilate what is stated there.If you still have doubts,just read it again.If doubts continue,Just carry on with your sadhana and read the same passage again after an interval of time.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Jyothi,

it appears you seem to gather information from unauthentic sources. It is important to be sure about the source and their reputation and credibility. There are innumerable sources for information in the web, but most of them are bogus and spread wrong facts.

Your observation that Hindus do not want daughters is untrue. I am not able to yet to figure out which God did not want daughters. But a general fact that yes, families prayed fervently for sons and not daughters since 12th or 13th century till the end of 18th century because of dreaded invasions who forcibly took away the girls from homes and sometimes even deserted later and so on. These fears led families to a fear in having daughters and they naturally preferred sons.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
Jyothi,

regarding Dowry, let me present you the following excerpt:

Dowry was not a part of the Indian marriage before European influence crept into the society. The earliest example of Europeans practicing the dowry in India, the case of Mumbai, which was presented as part of the dowry when Princess Catherine de Braganza of Portugal was married to King Charles II in 1661. The native population disliked practicing dowry, as they believed that this would lead "obliged to buy them husbands". Writes Alex Knox, when addressed to David Doig, Lord Provost of Montrose,

"As I observed before, their marriages are all conducted by the parents during the parties infancy, the expence of this ceremoney, which is considerable according to the ranks of the persons married, is always from the bridegroom's family, nor is it customary to give any fortunes with their daughters, because it should not be said they were obliged to buy them husbands, for this custom it seems they despise the Europeans very much."

(Wikipedia)

--

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
Jyothi/Friends,
With regard to Brahma Vishnu and Shiva I am posting excerpts from the Talk of Kanchi Mahaswami in the thread dedicated to his Talks.
The other social aspect concerning the status of women in Indian Society-I warmly recommend the Talk by Swami Vivekananda,so very incisive and objective and insightful.
Here is an excerpt:
"When I hear Western women denounce the confining of the feet of Chinese ladies, they never seem to think of the corsets which are doing far more injury to the race. This is just one example; for you must know that cramping the feet does not do one-millionth part of the injury to the human form that the corset has done and is doing — when every organ is displaced and the spine is curved like a serpent. When measurements are taken, you can note the curvatures. I do not mean that as a criticism but just to point out to you the situation, that as you stand aghast at women of other races, thinking that you are supreme, the very reason that they do not adopt your manners and customs shows that they also stand aghast at you.
Therefore there is some misunderstanding on both sides. There is a common platform, a common ground of understanding, a common humanity, which must be the basis of our work. We ought to find out that complete and perfect human nature which is working only in parts, here and there. It has not been given to one man to have everything in perfection. You have a part to play; I, in my humble way, another; here is one who plays a little part; there, another. The perfection is the combination of all these parts. Just as with individuals, so with races. Each race has a part to play; each race has one side of human nature to develop. And we have to take all these together; and, possibly in the distant future, some race will arise in which all these marvellous individual race perfections, attained by the different races, will come together and form a new race, the like of which the world has not yet dreamed. Beyond saying that, I have no criticism to offer about anybody. I have travelled not a little in my life; I have kept my eyes open; and the more I go about the more my mouth is closed. I have no criticism to offer".

Please refer to the talk-Women of India by Swamiji:
http://www.vivekananda.net/Lectures/WomenOfIndia.html

Namaskar.