Author Topic: Dark night of the Soul by Saint John of the Cross  (Read 1349 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Dark night of the Soul by Saint John of the Cross
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »

Here is the link of one wonderful Christian library,and the writings of Saint John of The Cross,Dark Night of The Soul,which speaks about many things spiritual seekers encounter from the beginning to the end. It is also full with advices how to deal with many things. It is written in the style unique for that period and that particular school,so it is best to have that in mind when reading it. At least,that is my impression.

On the site are many other Sacred writings from other Saints. Maybe it will be of some help to someone.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/dark_night.toc.html
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:43:49 PM by Jewell »

right2be

• View Profile
Re: Dark night of the Soul by Saint John of the Cross
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
St. John of the cross is depicted slaying a dragon/ snake quite often. Is the dragon/snake a symbol of the ego ?

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »
Dear right2be,

Yes,i think so. It is the symbol of ignorance.

With love and prayers,

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 04:45:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Jewell. I have not yet finished dark night of the soul but from what I have read has already been of great use to me. There are many vices which St.John mentions which I believe are doing more harm to me than good in my self enquiry eg. Anger when impatience grows and I feel I should be more spiritually advanced than I am. Being able to see these things now is of great use as I can now see why I am not more spiritually advanced and gives me patience where I once did not have patience. Things are much more easily said than done but I will continue self enquiry more motivated.

Thank you.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
Dear Right2be,

Yes,i find Saint John's book very helpfull too. It helped me to realise some things,which I was'nt aware. It is indeed beautiful guide.
Like You said,all this much easier in theory then it is in practice,but that is all part of sadhana. I saw that myself,and like Sri Nisargadatta said,it is all necesary for final goal.

Mind is very tricky,and it take hold of us,when we even dont notice it.

I have learned that sincerity, patience and endurance are most precious qualities when it is about sadhana. With every step we are closer of droping this false reality. 

With love and prayers,