Author Topic: Is everything a dream ?  (Read 1967 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Is everything a dream ?
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
dear friends,
Bhagavan said many times especially to Chadwick that everything we see in our waking state is like a dream ,something which we have to experience.
That means everything we do from morning to evening is a dream (including writing something on this forum and reading what is written on this forum ) and the only thing that the supreme power has given control to us even within this dream (as gathered by Devaraja Mudaliar from his talks with Bhagavan )is to discriminate i.e do Vichara which will help come out of the dream at some ripe stage of our Sadhana  .
Please give your feedback as to whether what I have understood in relation to the subject is okay .Thanks,Anand .
Sundaram Anand

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Is everything a dream ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
Dear Sri Anand,

I think You have understood good. I remember Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj also said it is good,and very necessary to look on everything like a dream. Here are some sayings from Maharaj:

The world is but a show, glittering and empty. It is, and yet it is not. It is there as long as I want to see it and take part in it. When I cease caring, it dissolves. It has no cause and serves no purpose. It just happens when we are absent-minded. It appears exactly as it looks, but there is no depth in it, nor meaning. Only the onlooker is real, call him Self or Atma. To the Self, the world is but a colourful show, which he enjoys as long as it lasts and forgets when it is over. Whatever happens on the stage makes him shudder in terror or roll with laughter, yet all the time he is aware that it is but a show. Without desire or fear, he enjoys it, as it happens.

The universe is a stage on which a world drama is being played. The quality of the performance is all that matters; not what the actors say or do, but how they say and do it. Sportsmen seem to make tremendous efforts: yet their sole motive is to play and display.

All happens as it needs, yet nothing happens. I do what seems to be necessary, but at the same time I know that nothing is necessary, that life itself is only a make-belief.

The world you can perceive is a very small world indeed. And it is entirely private. Take it to be a dream and be done with it. Is not the idea of a total world a part of your personal world? The universe does not come to tell you that you are a part of it. It is you who have invented a totality to contain you as a part. In fact all you know is your own private world, however well you have furnished it with your imaginations and expectations.

This world is painted by you on the screen of consciousness and is entirely your own private world.

To know the picture as the play of light on the screen, gives freedom from the idea that the picture is real.

Consider. The world in which you live, who else knows about it? Within the prison of your world appears a man who tells you that the world of painful contradictions, which you have created, is neither continuous nor permanent and is based on a misapprehension. He pleads with you to get out of it. You got into it by forgetting what you are, and you will get out of it by knowing yourself as you are. There is no reality in it. It cannot last.

The world has no existence apart from you. At every moment it is but a reflection of yourself. You create it, you destroy it. Your personal universe does not exist by itself. It is merely a limited and distorted view of the real.

You are not of the world, you are not even in the world. The world is not, you alone are. You create the world in your imagination like a dream. As you cannot separate the dream from yourself, so you cannot have an outer world independent of yourself. You are independent, not the world. Don't be afraid of a world you yourself have created.

With love and prayers,

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:24:37 AM »
find the dreamer
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »
Hi friends

Please help me lay rest this question I have. Is the world a dream or is it our perception of the world that is a dream ? I forgot who said this but it was along the line of " pain is present, but I do not associate myself with it" does this mean that the world does exist, it isn't something that vanishes once we are self realised as a dream would once awake. Does it mean that our perception of the world which we imagine changes and is no longer an objective reality which is the illusion we believe it to be ?

If I am thinking unnecessarily too deep into this just let me know.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
Hi friends

Please help me lay rest this question I have. Is the world a dream or is it our perception of the world that is a dream ? I forgot who said this but it was along the line of " pain is present, but I do not associate myself with it" does this mean that the world does exist, it isn't something that vanishes once we are self realised as a dream would once awake. Does it mean that our perception of the world which we imagine changes and is no longer an objective reality which is the illusion we believe it to be ?

If I am thinking unnecessarily too deep into this just let me know.

Dear right2be,
everything depends on the person you think you are. The idea that the world exists, that it does not exist, that it may exist independent of you, that it cannot exist without you, etc are just thoughts, ideas in the mind. This "I" who has all these notions is the cause of everything, including its own existence and dissolution. Ego creates its own illision and it is the ego again who searches methods to free itself. This is the great comedy of life. This is what Ramana teaches basically.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »
What is a dream? If we understand that properly, it wont be hard to detect it. A dream is an unreal experience. What is "unreal"? The English meaning of "unreal" is far different from what Shankara and Vedanta uses it as. "Unreal" is something which never existed / experienced, experienced to THE FULLEST while experiencing for sometime and then again becomes non existent / non experiential. That is unreal. That is dream that we all know. Is the world not fitting that definition? YES.

Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
Bhagavan has in response to a question agreed that there is a personal god or ishwara who selects portion of our karma and gives a body compatible with that for the karma to be experienced.
Now  by that same logic everybeing would have a personal god who would oversee his evolution till realisation.
Now it seems that there is  a supreme sakti (or Maya ) which co-relates all these scripts designed by each Iswara (or one may say each iswara writes a individual  script which aligns with the common script written for all beings or jivas) into designing  a waking  script which we all experience but like a dream with the other beings (other than ourselves) being seen like dream persons or dream creations.i.e We shall be seen as dream persons to each other .THus we are all enacting a preprogammed script with the only freedom being how to take things that we experience.The more that we hold onto self attention and be like a witness to the dream experiences , the faster t we will end the transmigration cycles of dream experiences that we will undergo.
Friends, kindly revert on my above understanding.
Thanks,Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
There are no many Ishvaras. Ishvara is One. He is just seen differently by different people according to their inclinations. Here it is Sri Ramakrishna's explanation about what you are talking about.

Parable of the chameleon

"Listen to a story.  Once a man entered a wood and saw a small animal on a tree.  He came back and told another man that he had seen a creature of a beautiful red colour on a certain tree.  The second man replied: 'When I went into the wood, I also saw that animal.  But why do you call it red? It is green.' Another man who was present contradicted them both and insisted that it was yellow.  Presently others arrived and contended that it was grey, violet, blue, and so forth and so on.  At last they started quarrelling among themselves.  To settle the dispute they all went to the tree.  They saw a man sitting under it.  On being asked, he replied: 'Yes, I live under this tree and I know the animal very well.  All your descriptions are true.  Sometimes it appears red, sometimes yellow, and at other times blue, violet, grey, and so forth.  It is a chameleon.  And sometimes it has no colour at all.  Now it has a colour, and now it has none.'

"In like manner, one who constantly thinks of God can know His real nature; he alone knows that God reveals Himself to seekers in various forms and aspects.  God has attributes; then again He has none.  Only the man who lives under the tree knows that the chameleon can appear in various colours, and he knows, further, that the animal at times has no colour at all.  It is the others who suffer from the agony of futile argument.

"Kabir used to say, 'The formless Absolute is my Father, and God with form is my Mother.'

"God reveals Himself in the form which His devotee loves most.  His love for the devotee knows no bounds.  It is written in the Purana that God assumed the form of Rama for His heroic devotee, Hanuman.

When you realize the Self for you everything is Brahma Swarupa. So it can be said that attention to anything which appears is already Self-attention because the illusion of the separateness is gone.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html