Author Topic: How prasadam is offered?  (Read 7905 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How prasadam is offered?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Dear Hari,

I am giving the anglicized Siva Manasa Puja of Sri Sankara:

1. ratnai kalpitam Asanam himajalai snAnaja dhivyambaram
    nAnA ratna vibhushitam mruga matham modhAnidhan chantanam
    jAti champaka bhilva bhatra rachitam pushpanja dhoopam thatha
    deepam deva dhayAnidhe pasupathe hrthkalpiatm gruhayathAm ||

2. sowvarane navaratna kanda rachite pAthre grutham pAyasam
    pakshyam pancha vidam payo dadhiyutham rambA phalam pAnakam
    shAkanAmayudha jalam ruchi karam karpoora kandojvalam
    thAmboolam manasa maya virachitam bhakthya probho sweeguru ||

3. chatram chAmarayorugam vyajanakancha dharsakam nirmalam
    veena bheri mrudhanga kohala kala geethanja nruthyam thatha
    sAshtangam pranathi stutir bahu vidha hyhadh samstam maya
    sankalpena samarpitham thava vibho poojAm gruhAna prabho  ||

4. Atma dvam Girija madhi sahachara prAnA sariram gruham
    pooja the vishayopabhoga rachana nidra samadhi stithi
    sanchara padaya pradakshina vidhi stotrani sarva kiro
    yadhyath karma karomi thattha dahilam sambo thavArAdhanam  ||

5. kara charana vAk kAyajam karmajam va
   sravana nayanajam va mAnasam vAparAdham
   vihitha mavihitham va sarvamethath kshmasva
   jaya jaya karunapde Sri Mahadeva Sambo!                                   ||   

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
Thank you, Sri Subramania!

Do you know what mantras or sacred texts read the priests in  Ramanashramam? :)
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
Hari

Offering Prasad is a symbolic act of showing our gratitude to the almighty for blessing us with our daily food . Also food once placed before God and consumed is no longer considered as food but as prasad as it has now the blessings of God . If you do not know any Mantras you can just chant the favorite mantra of your Ishta Deivam / Guru and consume the food .

Only yesterday while attending the Bhagavad Gita talk of Swami Paramarthananda he said the food should always be consumed after offering a prayer and if you do not know any prayer just chant "GOVINDA ,GOVINDA , GOVINDA " and consume the food .

When I eat in Hotels ( I do not eat outside as much as possible except when I travel or have some friends / Guests ) I always take care to offer my prayers and invoke the blessings of my Gurus before I consume the food . Since I come from the Sivananda School of Yoga we chant the famous "Bramarphanam Bramhahavir .. " Mantra from the Chapter 4( Shloka 24 )  of Bhagavad Gita as a short prayer followed by Invoking the names of our Gurus Swami Sivananda , Swami Vishnu devananda ( who was his disciple and my Yoga Guru ) .

Traditionally Vedic Mantras are chanted before the food is being offered and this is still followed in Sri  Ramana Ashram . In Other places like Chinmaya /Dayananda Organization the Chapter 15 of Bhagavad Gita is recited before food is being consumed .

I didn't know that you follow Swami Shivananda. :) He was really great Sage. His strict following of Classical Vedanta is remarkable. :) It is great that you are doing your best to follow His teachings.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »
I didn't know that you follow Swami Shivananda. :) He was really great Sage. His strict following of Classical Vedanta is remarkable. :) It is great that you are doing your best to follow His teachings.

Hari

I was pulled in to Swami Sivananda quite unexpectedly on 14 July ( his Mahasamdhi day ) many years back and have been associated with the Organization found by one of his chief disciple Swami Vishnu devananda ( www.sivananda.org ) . All my basic training in Yoga and spirituality was through the teachings of Swami Sivananda and Swami Vishnu devananda and they were all very practical and had the Classical spirit . Right now I am not actively involved with the Sivananda Organizations as I prefer a contemplative life and doing my sadhana alone but their teachings are always in my heart . It is the pull of Swami Sivananda and Mother Ganga that makes me visit Rishikesh ( Swami Sivananda's samadhi is there )  very regularly and I consider Rishikesh to be my second home .

Some  people come to Bhagavan Ramana / Jnana Marga directly but for me I came to Bhagavan Ramana / Jana Marga only after immersing myself in the Yoga  teachings of Swami Sivananda and Swami Vishnu devananda .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Dear Atmavichar, Swami Shivananda was also my first touch with Indian philosophy. He is the main source of Yoga in my country and His teachings are the most solid text in my native language. I couldn't understand Him until I understood the background of Advaita philosophy because at one place He talked about heaven, life, death, incarnations, karma and so on, at other He talked about how only Brahman exists. His books are really treasure. I know Swami Vishnu Devananda too. My first touch with Him was His book "Meditation and mantras". This was the book which cleared up some of my doubts and misunderstanding about my vision of Indian philosophy.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
Dear Hari

Happy to know about the influence of Swami Sivananda and Swami Vishnu devananda in your spiritual life .
Most of Swami Sivananda's books are available for free download at the Divine Life Society website .
Swami Krishnananda who took over the duties of Swami Sivananda after his demise has also many excellent books to his credit and they are also available for free download .
Some of the books are quite bulky ( as they are transcribed versions of his talks given at Rishikesh over a period of time ) but they are very excellent and practical and deals with the struggle any spiritual aspirant faces on the path and how to over come .
2 such books I can recommend for you and they are :
1) His talks on Patanjali Yoga Sutras ( 2 volumes )
2) His talks on Bhagavad Gita ( 1 big volume )
and both are available for free download at this site
http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc_scriptures.html
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha