Author Topic: Uncontrollable shaking body and head  (Read 2961 times)

right2be

• View Profile
Uncontrollable shaking body and head
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
Hi everybody,

Something different has been happening lately, there has been a lot of worldly stress lately so its been harder than usuall to focus on "I" and stay fixed in "I" and soo many thought of frustration and anger arise very frequently so I remember " let muddy water stand and it becomes clear". I lay down and watch these thoughts pass not associating with them but just allowing the to rise and fall as I watch them one by one, as soon as it seems as though the mind starts to settle I then go on the ask "to whom do all these thoughts appear, to me, who am I....I ..... I" and soon enough frustration and anger thoughts start to arise once again staggeringly frequent, one after the other so I once again " let muddy water stand till it becomes clear" and I use all my might to watch these thoughts go even thoughts of disgust and agony arise as though it is a split personality angry thoughts arise and judgemental thoughts soon follow as though disgusted at this illusional entity and so i watch them because it helps me see them for what they are so that i do not associate them as whi i really am and mind wanders into body consciousness from time to time when I become aware that the head and torso are moving around uncontrollably in all directions, shaking and awkward movements are the best way to describe.

Should I continue what I am doing which is pay no attention to body and its actions or movements and bring attention back to self when ever mind wanders off and focuses on body or should I pay attention to keep body still and then Go back to enquiry once the body has reached a stillness ? I remember hearing Many Yogis say that the body is none of my concern so I just have been trying not to even notice it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:13:31 AM by right2be »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Uncontrollable shaking body and head
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
Dear right2be,

Shaking of head, body jerk etc., are the usual symptoms that one faces during sadhana.  It is the ego that is causing
these to prevent you from proceeding with sadhana.  You can ignore them and proceed further.

Arunachala Siva. 

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
And what should I do about these disgusting thoughts ? If I cannot even keep focused on "I" for longer than one minute at a time should I just continue to watch them go by and disassociate myself from them until eventually the mind settles( which I have not yet been able to do ) or just try to stay focused on "I" and work through these disturbing thought bringing attention back to "I" every time I lose focus ?

It seems that either way mind does not settle

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
Dear right2be,

The disgusting thoughts are due to vasanas.  They will slowly disappear once you proceed with the sadhana.  Don't
get distracted. Ask, 'For whom is these thoughts?'  The self inquiry will burn all the vasanas, the thoughts being some of
them.  Perseverance is essential.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
Should I continue what I am doing which is pay no attention to body and its actions or movements and bring attention back to self when ever mind wanders off and focuses on body or should I pay attention to keep body still and then Go back to enquiry once the body has reached a stillness ? I remember hearing Many Yogis say that the body is none of my concern so I just have been trying not to even notice it.

adding to what Subramanian sir has suggested.

i feel yes you ought to continue with bringing back the attention to the Self, and as regards to the body, its only due to weakness. if it causes you hindrance in continuing your sadhana as above, then suggestion would be that you eat moderate but nutritious satvic food. If your station provides more seclusion, then perhaps you may even contemplate and try to go beyond the body and so on. I presume we are all atleast minimally part of the world and people around us. Moderation is ideal in such instances.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
Dear right2be,

Yes. Sattvic food is an important factor.  Avoiding non vegetarian food, alcohol etc., help you in Sadhana.

Arunachala Siva.

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies everybody, I don't drink alcohol at all but I will work on having a better diet.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »
Dear right2be,

Yes,the best way is not to pay attention on body and thoughts,and to continue with selfenquiry.
However,i wish to stress,that you shouldnt,by any means,strain yourself and force,coz it can affect your health in some ways. If rajas or tamas are predominant in some particular moment,it is very hard,almost impossible to practice it. So,at these moments You just listen some devotional music,watch some videos,pray... When that pass,You will able to do selfenquiry again.

With love and prayers,

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
D: People practising meditation etc., are said to get new diseases; at any rate, I feel some pain in the back and front of the chest. This is stated to be a test by God. Will Bhagavan explain this and say if it is true?

B: There is no Bhagavan outside you and no test is therefore instituted. What you believe to be a test or a new disease resulting from spiritual practices is really the strain that is now brought to play upon your nerves and the five senses. The mind which was hitherto operating through the nadis to sense external objects and thus maintaining a link between itself and the organs of perception is now required to withdraw from the link and this action of withdrawal naturally causes a strain, a sprain or a snap attendant with pain, which people term disease and perhaps tests by God. All these would go, if you would but continue your meditation bestowing your thought solely on understanding your Self or on Self-realization. There is no greater remedy than this continuous yoga or union with God or Atman. There cannot but be pain as a result of your discarding your long acquired vasanas.

D: Hatha Yogic practices are said to banish diseases effectively and are therefore advocated as necessary preliminaries to Jnana Yoga.
B: Let those who advocate them use them. It has not been the experience here. All diseases would be effectively annihilated by continuous Self-enquiry.

~from ‘Crumbs from His Table’ by Ramanananda Swarnagiri
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »

Dear right2be,

you have written

"from time to time when I become aware that the head and torso are moving around uncontrollably in all directions, shaking and awkward movements are the best way to describe."

somehow I feel this does not seem right to me.  Body shaking during sadhana either means there are lot of thamas inside (for normal sadhaka)  or some bodily ailments.

Why not you try to do some arunachala shiva nama japa and do self enquiry only if you have relatively less thoughts? 

Do you feel lot of heat in the brain?  Can you explain a bit on what type of disgusting thoughts come? You can message me also.

Anycase,  from my exp.  while bad thoughts which depress you are barking dogs.  They will not bite.  And the really biting bad thoughts like sexual lust or desires,  you will not take it as depressing,  it will force you to engage in the act physicall or mentally

So bottom line is,  if some thoughts make you confused and humble,  they are better than these biting dogs which will directly do action on us which we will that time enjoy and later only repent.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
Hi everybody,

Something different has been happening lately, there has been a lot of worldly stress lately so its been harder than usuall to focus on "I" and stay fixed in "I" and soo many thought of frustration and anger arise very frequently so I remember " let muddy water stand and it becomes clear". I lay down and watch these thoughts pass not associating with them but just allowing the to rise and fall as I watch them one by one, as soon as it seems as though the mind starts to settle I then go on the ask "to whom do all these thoughts appear, to me, who am I....I ..... I" and soon enough frustration and anger thoughts start to arise once again staggeringly frequent, one after the other so I once again " let muddy water stand till it becomes clear" and I use all my might to watch these thoughts go even thoughts of disgust and agony arise as though it is a split personality angry thoughts arise and judgemental thoughts soon follow as though disgusted at this illusional entity and so i watch them because it helps me see them for what they are so that i do not associate them as whi i really am and mind wanders into body consciousness from time to time when I become aware that the head and torso are moving around uncontrollably in all directions, shaking and awkward movements are the best way to describe.

Dear right to be. For me this is just instant flux of subconscious emotions. Their appearance on the surface sometime brings very strong body and mind reaction, may be due to powerful current of Shakti. We should shun our attention from such events and continue tp bring our attention on our sadhana. I hope you are already all right. :)
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html