Author Topic: garlic & onions  (Read 2187 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
garlic & onions
« on: July 26, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Are garlic & onions saatvic, were they used in ashram kitchen?
I'm not sure, but I belive that Annamalai Swami ate onions when the weather was very hot to keep his body cool.
What about garlic?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: garlic & onions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

Right from Sri Bhagavan's days in the Asramam, onions were used.  Even today it is used. But garlic is prohibited.
Though both cause rajasic tendencies in oneself, onion was permitted since it is less rajasic.

Arunachala Siva.   

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

There is Kanakammal's book on Bhagavan's advice for women.  I think it is a translation of a stotram to Goddess Durga.  I don't remember the name of it but I borrowed it from Ramanasramam library.

As you enter the new library, Turn right, it is in the second row, in the first shelf from the right.   
It is one of the most amazing books I have read about what renunciation really means and how women too can do it. Lots of tips on what to eat, how to live e.g why we must fast during eclipse, Bhagavan was ok with onions but no water before a meal only after a meal.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of it.  It is a book written by Kanakammal
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:36:00 AM by Child of Arunachala »

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »

There is a book written by Kanakammal about Bhagavan's advice for women.  It is a translation of various verses to Goddess Durga. I think.  I don't remember the name of it but I borrowed it from Ramanasramam library.

As you enter the new library, Turn right, it is in the second row, in the first shelf from the right.   
Dear Child of Arunachala,

Thank you very much for the description of the way to the book.
Regrettably I am in Europe (and an European without Indian roots by the way - I only choose Jyoti as my login because I know it means light) and I don't know if in this life I will be able to travel to India...

Jyoti (Alexandra)

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38:36 AM »
I will post the name of the book when I am able to. I am pretty sure you will be able to order it thru the Ramanasramam book store.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
I will post the name of the book when I am able to. I am pretty sure you will be able to order it thru the Ramanasramam book store.
Thank you in advance.
It might not be part of the Collected Works?