Author Topic: books by Nome in the light of Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi  (Read 2969 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
books by Nome in the light of Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »
Dear devotees,

If someone has read Sri Nome's books like Self Knowledge, Essence of spiritual instructions edited by Nome,  Advaita Devatame etc. or any other book, please quote some excerpts here for reflection.

Sri Nome is doing great service by passing the direct non dual knowledge of immortal Ribhu Gita by his beautiful english poems.

Even though from Tamil,  I have bought his Song of Ribhu once again to enjoy the poetic english words.

However his other books are not available in India I believe.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
Re: books by Nome in the light of Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:51 AM »
Namaste,

This is just my opinion.  In the land of Lord Shiva, why go after these half baked western teachers or to so called gurus (even if they are Indian). They will catapult you directly into meditation without any preparation just to separate you from your money.  According to the Hindu system meditation is last of eight steps. If the foundation is strong, the structure will be strong. 

An enlightened guru wrote this:

"True meditation happens because of soul evolution. We evolve into meditative practices from bhakti, the yoga of devotion. The transition is earned through past good karmas, not chosen as an intellectual or recreational pastime. As the transition of external worship to internal worship is made, the devotee has to face all bad karmas cheerfully and honestly in order to resolve them and move forward.

Sitting in a state of real meditation, one must be more alive and alert than a tight-rope walker suspended without a net on a taut cable three hundred feet above the Earth. Do you suppose that this man is sleepy, that he allows his mind to wander? No, every muscle and sinew of his body, every thought, every feeling within him, is absolutely under his control. It is the only way he can maintain the balance which keeps him from plunging to the earth beneath. He must be the master of himself, all the while seeking to identify with his pure soul being, not allowing attention to be pulled here and there--to the physical body, to outside sounds, to thoughts of the past or to concerns about the future. "

Swami Sivananda wrote if you say you are doing self inquiry, you are only kidding yourself.  It happens on its own. It is the last stage of a series of steps that must be taken to reign in the senses and then we are ready for meditation - until then Pujai, japam, seva or selfless work for an enlightened guru or for the poor and needy is the way to go.

I see a few people spend so much time on the internet on forum like this and I wonder if they spent it on practice.  An ounce of practice is worth more than just reading and writing about it.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:55:55 AM by Child of Arunachala »

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Namaste,

This is just my opinion.  In the land of Lord Shiva, why go after these half baked western teachers or to so called gurus (even if they are Indian). They will catapult you directly into meditation without any preparation just to separate you from your money.  According to the Hindu system meditation is last of eight steps. If the foundation is strong, the structure will be strong. 

An enlightened guru wrote this:

"True meditation happens because of soul evolution. We evolve into meditative practices from bhakti, the yoga of devotion. The transition is earned through past good karmas, not chosen as an intellectual or recreational pastime. As the transition of external worship to internal worship is made, the devotee has to face all bad karmas cheerfully and honestly in order to resolve them and move forward.

Sitting in a state of real meditation, one must be more alive and alert than a tight-rope walker suspended without a net on a taut cable three hundred feet above the Earth. Do you suppose that this man is sleepy, that he allows his mind to wander? No, every muscle and sinew of his body, every thought, every feeling within him, is absolutely under his control. It is the only way he can maintain the balance which keeps him from plunging to the earth beneath. He must be the master of himself, all the while seeking to identify with his pure soul being, not allowing attention to be pulled here and there--to the physical body, to outside sounds, to thoughts of the past or to concerns about the future. "

Swami Sivananda wrote if you say you are doing self inquiry, you are only kidding yourself.  It happens on its own. It is the last stage of a series of steps that must be taken to reign in the senses and then we are ready for meditation - until then Pujai, japam, seva or selfless work for an enlightened guru or for the poor and needy is the way to go.

I see a few people spend so much time on the internet on forum like this and I wonder if they spent it on practice.  An ounce of practice is worth more than just reading and writing about it.  Just my opinion.

Sorry this reply sounds very arrogant.   I severely object to classify western teachers and portray them in poor light as if they are all ignorant.

This forum itself is run by a westener.   Be As  you are and many other Ramana books were edited by Westners.  We have had many gem of the sadhaks from Western world during and after Ramana Maharishee times.

All I asked was about some books and works.  If people have any information they will share .   I did not ask a review on anybody.

One cannot use all this terms half baked etc. against others.   Better ignore if you dont like a personality.

what is wrong in saying 'i am doing self enquiry',  it is a sadhana prescribed by Ramana Maharishee.

Lastly people who frequently writes in forums need not be criticized.  for them it may be a mode of sadhana.   

I dont understand if the great people you have mentioned has also advised to look low into others and criticize somebody visiting forums frequently.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:23:31 PM by ksksat27 »

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
Dear Child of Arunachala

I have nothing more to add than what ksksat27 already wrote. I hope you get to read Uddhava Gita sometime where Lord says - "Go fall at the feet of cow, donkey and dog if you see supreme truth in them". How does it matter where truth comes from? Does truth have to come from only limited set of sources? Be it black or white, west or east, Siva or Jesus - Supreme Truth is one. I am not sure you have read Nome - if not you should. I have only read excerpts and Bhagawan flows through his words in my very limited reading. Truth is one - is it not nectar to hear it from so many sources in so many different ways? Appalled at your words...

Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »

Dear Child,

You do not know the greatness of Dr. Nome.  The Song of Ribhu, translated by him (along with Dr. H. Ramamurthy) will tell
you how much efforts he had put in to learn Tamizh and also understand the difficult Ribhu Gita and translate it is sufficient
proof for his sraddha.   I have also read his Essence of Inquiry, a translation of Vichara Sanghram in Tamizh by Sri Bhagavan.

Do not under estimate Dr. Nome.  The following other Western authors have done tremendous effort in translation/doing
self inquiry and and succeeding in Realization also.

1. Arthur Osborne.

2. Robert Adams

3. Narikutti Swami

4. Dr. Mees.

5. Grant Duff

6. Swami Ramanagiri

7. Michael James.

8.  Sadhu Arunachala

9. Major Chadwick

and also a few others.

Arunachala Siva.       

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
Namaste, Subramaniam sir,

I guess you all missed the point. I was not looking down upon westerners trying to interpret Hinduism, so much as saying don't look up to them because they are western.  There is a huge problem with that in India... no one can deny that. If you haven't lived the Hindu culture, how can you interpret it accurately enough? Even the best of translations by westerners have missed the real meaning of Sanskrit and Indian language words. There is a move by Hindus around the world to correct it.

Also, don't confuse the westerners from Bhagavan's time with the new age ones. The ones in Bhagavan's time were real yogis. Bhagavan himself has said that. So don't mix the two, ok. 

As far as I know, David Godman has never called himself a guru or collected followers, although he has been very generous with his time and knowledge. He will accept money for it if you give it to him (he too has to make a living, right?) but he has never asked for it. 

The same goes for Graham. He has refused to take money for this forum. To quote back entire posts is a waste of his resources and those of others who have to download useless extra lines. How much respect is there for Mother Nature? How much progress are people going to make with self inquiry with this kind of carelessness or obstinacy.?  My point in quoting Swami Sivananda was that a lot of cleansing of the senses has to take place before meditation in any form can begin.  Even Bhagavan realized that. Some he gave work to do in the kitchen, others he let be. If you look carefully, to this day they practice that in Ramanasramam - all the pujai, the chanting, the silence, seva, charity, respecting nature - the animals, birds, trees and plants. In order to learn from any cow, donkey or dog, we have to do the spiritual practices to get to that point. Most people are not there yet. I can see that from their reactions to my post.

Writing, going on the internet, watching TV, going to the movies, talking excessively are all the result of an outward flowing mind. Bhagavan spoke through silence, observation and renunciation.  All the great spiritual masters in India have taught that to their disciples. They said reign in the senses and prescribed various methods to do that before we can sit still and know that we were God to begin with.

Anyway, that is all I have to say on this matter. Those who ready, will get it. Others will have a knee jerk reaction to it. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:56:06 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
Dear Child,

No doubt, today's Westerners are not that good and they are attracted by 'neo advaita' quoting Sri Bhagavan left and right.
Neo advaita is bogus.  Here as you said, there is no strain and perseverance to attain enlightenment and only doing some
group discussions etc., But even in this post-Bhagavan age, people like Wolter Keirs and Swami Ramanagiri have followed
Sri Bhagavan's path totally and have attained enlightenment. So also Narikutti Swami.

Arunachala Siva. 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala

I agree with most of your points. But the original discussion here is specifically about Sri Nome's teachings and not about today's westerners and their understanding - I am afraid that is a generic discussion not worth our time. Would be good to keep this thread to Sri Nome's quotes and books.

Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:09 PM »
Namaste, Subramaniam sir,

I guess you all missed the point. I was not looking down upon westerners trying to interpret Hinduism, so much as saying don't look up to them because they are western.  There is a huge problem with that in India... no one can deny that. If you haven't lived the Hindu culture, how can you interpret it accurately enough? Even the best of translations by westerners have missed the real meaning of Sanskrit and Indian language words. There is a move by Hindus around the world to correct it.

Also, don't confuse the westerners from Bhagavan's time with the new age ones. The ones in Bhagavan's time were real yogis. Bhagavan himself has said that. So don't mix the two, ok. 

As far as I know, David Godman has never called himself a guru or collected followers, although he has been very generous with his time and knowledge. He will accept money for it if you give it to him (he too has to make a living, right?) but he has never asked for it. 

The same goes for Graham. He has refused to take money for this forum. To quote back entire posts is a waste of his resources and those of others who have to download useless extra lines. How much respect is there for Mother Nature? How much progress are people going to make with self inquiry with this kind of carelessness or obstinacy.?  My point in quoting Swami Sivananda was that a lot of cleansing of the senses has to take place before meditation in any form can begin.  Even Bhagavan realized that. Some he gave work to do in the kitchen, others he let be. If you look carefully, to this day they practice that in Ramanasramam - all the pujai, the chanting, the silence, seva, charity, respecting nature - the animals, birds, trees and plants. In order to learn from any cow, donkey or dog, we have to do the spiritual practices to get to that point. Most people are not there yet. I can see that from their reactions to my post.

Writing, going on the internet, watching TV, going to the movies, talking excessively are all the result of an outward flowing mind. Bhagavan spoke through silence, observation and renunciation.  All the great spiritual masters in India have taught that to their disciples. They said reign in the senses and prescribed various methods to do that before we can sit still and know that we were God to begin with.

Anyway, that is all I have to say on this matter. Those who ready, will get it. Others will have a knee jerk reaction to it.

Dear Child of Arunachala,

The vein of the posts by different people can be easily perceived.  The meaning is quite clear in the lines.

To the extent to which we conduct ourselves with Humility, it is better for us.

Before throwing criticism very freely on somebody,   we must ponder over and see through the lives of such people.

Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee severely scolded one lady when she brought her friend following another Guru.  Bhagavan added "what qualifications and rights you have to see through and criticize another Guru"

So people take sanyas,  attain nirvikalpa samadhi,  write books,  conduct satsangs according to their prarabhda. They need not consult anybody.

And devotees have the rights to go and see them.

As Sanjay ganesh mentioned,  some of the books of Sri Nome, tune very emphatically on Bhagavan's pure Self Inquiry teachings.   Sri Nome has really dedicated himself to the pure teachings of the Maharishee.  It is not a simple time pass satsangs.

So better we put down our collars and learn only the good from others.

Very long back,  for a mild post of mine quoting your experience on another thread,  you objected and wrote to me personally to delete that post.  I dont mean to recollect that incident still remembering it,  but I wish to highlight where you tend to overlook the sensitivity of strong criticsm you make on other teachers.

In the Razor edge of Sadhana,  the vidhya ahankaram is the most difficult thing to go. Jagrada Jagrada the words of the Shankara's disciple resonate here.

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:31:31 AM »
The Song of Ribhu was translated in its entirety by Dr. H. Ramamurthy (a Sanskrit and Tamil scholar) from the original sanskrit. Nome's part in it is questionable. Unfortunately Dr. H. Ramamurthy died before its publication so cannot defend his work.

I would remind everyone about the first requirement concerning this forum "The forum is not a soap box for those seeking to elevate themselves or for any of those would-be-gurus who abound today. Any guru mentioned on this forum MUST have been dead for at least 50 years."

This 'rule' is there for a very good reason.

During my fifteen years at the ashram, I heard and read many first-hand stories about these self-proclaimed 'gurus', I also witnessed first-hand the antics and manipulative conduct of these people.

Jnani's do not need mansions, million dollar income and armed bodyguards. They do not need to excuse appalling behaviour with declarations that the 'guru is beyond rules', quite simply because they live according to the highest dharma without exception.

Bhagavan was/is the perfect example of living dharma and does not need agents or mouthpieces. He moves the spirit in ways that only a real jnani can.

Now I agree wholeheartedly that there is a place for genuine teachers of advaita, but you cannot teach what you don't understand yourself and the majority of these people are mere parrots and usually very expensive parrots at that - in more ways than one.

Everyone is free to follow and worship whomever they like, but please stick to the rules of this forum.

Graham
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:20:14 AM by Graham »

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
The Song of Ribhu was translated in its entirety by Dr. H. Ramamurthy (a Sanskrit and Tamil scholar) from the original sanskrit. Nome's part in it is questionable. Unfortunately Dr. H. Ramamurthy died before its publication so cannot defend his work.

I would remind everyone about the first requirement concerning this forum "The forum is not a soap box for those seeking to elevate themselves or for any of those would-be-gurus who abound today. Any guru mentioned on this forum MUST have been dead for at least 50 years."

This 'rule' is there for a very good reason.

During my fifteen years at the ashram, I heard and read many first-hand stories about these self-proclaimed 'gurus', I also witnessed first-hand the antics and manipulative conduct of these people.

Jnani's do not need mansions, million dollar income and armed bodyguards. They do not need to excuse appalling behaviour with declarations that the 'guru is beyond rules', quite simply because they live according to the highest dharma without exception.

Bhagavan was/is the perfect example of living dharma and does not need agents or mouthpieces. He moves the spirit in ways that only a real jnani can.

Now I agree wholeheartedly that there is a place for genuine teachers of advaita, but you cannot teach what you don't understand yourself and the majority of these people are mere parrots and usually very expensive parrots at that - in more ways than one.

Everyone is free to follow and worship whomever they like, but please stick to the rules of this forum.

Graham

Dear Graham,

I am sorry to have started this topic on Ribhu Gita and other works by a current living teacher.

In giving full respect to the rules of this forum,  please remove this whole thread.

The 50 years rule I knew it was there but of late we have been posting freely on current day Gurus.  So did I start posting.

Anycase I agree with you ,  we have to be more focussed on only Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee teachings here and probably the direct encounter of stories by devotees who lived during his period.

Lastly I can only re-collect the below to me,  to everybody else in this forum,

Bhagavan told "attend to the original purpose you came for here"  "vandha velaiyai paaru"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:42:58 PM by ksksat27 »