Author Topic: Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam - Muruganar - April - June 2008  (Read 1428 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam - Muruganar - April - June 2008
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »

Robert Butler:  (Section 18 of Chapter 2 only)

The excerpt given here is Section 18 of Chapter 2, The Rapture of the Guru's Grace, entitled Instruction to the people of
the world (inquiry).  Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam is principally a work of devotion, but as the current extract clearly shows,
the paths of jnana and bhakti are entirely convergent in the heart of the true devotee.  Muruganar's devotion is no airy
mysticism but is here seen to be entirely consistent with the sound rational principles that underlies the method of self-
inquiry.  The book will be available for purchase from online book stores and, in special Indian edition, from Sri Ramanasramam
book stall in early 2008.

The enquiry that is true knowledge:

551. The network of thoughts that fills the mind branches out from the perception 'I am the body'.  The proper course of
action is to ask the question, 'What is the place in which this 'I am the body idea has its source?' and thus reach and
become established within the heart.

552.  Know that the method of teaching which goes straight to the heart is that of self inquiry, when in response to the question,
Who in reality is this flawed 'I'?, the truth is revealed in a sudden inward illumination, like sunlight flashing in a crystal of glass.

553,  Ignorance is the state of forgetting the Self, the true knowledge, and becoming intoxicated with the differentiated
awareness that is of the form of the mind.  This ignorance is a delusion that will be dispelled by the inquiry that is true knowledge.

554. Since his nature dwells inseparably within every incarnated soul, shining out as the 'I', even if we merely repeat it over
and over again as a mantra, it will transport us to the seat of the heart that is union with the Self. 

555.  The Self that is revealed as our true nature within the heart through the power of self inquiry, is none other than the
peerless reality of the supreme, which alone remains after this worldly illusion has faded into nothingness.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.                         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam - Muruganar - April - June 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »

continues.....

556.  Thus, taking refuge within heart, all conditional awareness will be expunged, and the knowledge of the Real, the summit
of the Vedas, shining forth as 'I-I', will illuminate the cave of the heart, like the rising sun at dawn.

557.  When through self inquiry the 'I' suddenly expands to embrace the infinite fulfillment of the supreme, the mind,
previously weakened by suffering, will be revived, as it experiences its natural state, the peace of being merged in the heart.

558.  If the form of the mind is closely investigated, the form of the mind will be resolved into consciousness, giving way to
the divine silence of final liberation in the unalloyed clarity of the Self.

559.   'Who am I?' is the source of all acts of questioning. If in silence, we inquire inwardly into the place of its arising, so
that its truth is known, the dispute that gave rise to the question will be ended completely.

560.  When we examine all the objects, we hold on to,  rejecting them one after the other, saying, not this, not this, until
none is left, the one rare thing that remains is the truth, Reality, that is merged in the divine hall of the heart.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »

continues......

561.  Like bees intoxicated by the sight of honey, whatever, they perceive, they rise up without so much as a thought, and
rush towards it, so that that which they perceive becomes their very form!  Know that this is the nature of our inherited
dispositions (Vasanas).

562.  That which reveals the truth in which there is no room for duality, and shines as the inner Sadguru within the hearts
of of the superior ones (Jnanis) so that they have merged with it, is the "I", Reality,, the Supreme Reality, that is without
equal.

563.  To realize through investigation, that the nature of Reality is beyond the reach of thought, and so to slough off that\\
treacherous mental imagination, making the heart our permanent place of Abode -- that indeed is the pellucid state of
Supreme Knowledge.

564.  Due to its false understanding, the mind perceives as foreign to itself that which is not in fact different from it;.  The
practice of abidance in the Self is to firmly hold the mind in abeyance with the heart.  It is not act of thinking.

565.  Shining within the "I" and inseparable from it, the Reality of Brahman is the light which illumines mind-consciousness.
To control that mind-consciousness so that it is checked and restrained within that Brahman is the true mark of
Sivahood.

contd.,

Arunchala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »

continues.....

566.  The truth of the Self will become established through that powerful state in which the mind subsides in the state
of samadhi, which occurs when consciousness is firmly rooted within the heart through the means of severing all
connection with the mind that goes out through the sense organs.

567. When the love accumulated over many births from ancient times fills our hearts and a clear understanding arises
there through the power of His grace, so that we become one with the Self, never leading its embrace, then indeed have
we attained the sublime reality of union with God.

568.  The fitting form of worship to the Lord who bears a third eye in His brow is to immerse oneself in the heart.  This
state, in which the heart is kept free from the taint of thoughts, is the straight path for those who seeks the highest
fulfillment. 

569.  In performing the sacrificial rituals contained in the sastras, the final oblation most worthy of praise and which
brings joy to Lord Siva whose judgement is unerring, is to offer up in fitting manner one's own Self.

570.  Know that those who have fully accomplished that one thing have fully accomplished all their religious duties,
because its greatness far exceeds that of any other offering, and after it nothing whatsoever remains to be done.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »

continues....

571.  That which is spoken of as the life itself, is the true life.  That other 'life' is merely the body.  That illusory knowledge
meditated by the senses, (suttarivu) is nothing but delusion.  The pure consciousness that underlies it alone is true consciousness.

572.  All that is perceived as being separate from consciousness is insentient.  It will  prove to be a mere error and cease
to exist.  Therefore, since the indivisible true reality that dwells, within is consciousness itself, you should firmly reject as
unreal anything which appears separate from that consciousness.

573.  Realizing that the power of thought could never truly grasp That (the Self) whose beauty shines out through its very
nature in the heart, the center of all, so that all thought subsides, you should abandon all such conceptualization.

574.  Is it fitting that we should seek to embrace our own self by means of intellectual effort by the senses, rather than by
becoming a prey to the supreme reality that shines as that Self, and being annihilated through merging with its non dual
nature?

575.  Whatever it is that attracts the mind will always cause a disturbance within it, giving rise to the cycle of pleasure
and pain.  Will this happen if, turning inward, the mind attains realization of the reality, which lies within the heart?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »

continues.....

576.  To become established in the Heart where one remains as the pure 'I', unruffled by the fierce gale whipped up by all
the various branches of knowledge, that are apprehended in the world through this physical body and cause us agitation
-- that indeed is the enduring attainment.

577.  All universes are contained in that infinitesimally subtle awareness, without marks, without qualities, without any
attributes, whatsoever, and free of all defects, which is the all pervading and indivisible Sivam.

578.  All dualistic concepts such as 'this world' and the next world' are merely unreal mental creations.  Know that when
these fall away and are no more, the one true reality underlying all the worlds is none other than the unalloyed supreme
intelligence of Sivam.

579.  The supreme reality, in which flourishes the noble nature of pure grace, and which merges with us so that all the
many false  appearances such as 'this birth' and 'the next birth' cease to exist, shines out as the truth-imbued and flawless
"I".

580.  In the unreal state where our true nature is veiled, the creations of the mind that swirl about are mere names
and forms, but even those will be revealed as being of the form of pure consciousness, in the state of peace that
prevails as the nature of Sivam, the Self.

continued...

Aruunachala Siva,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »

continues....

581.  The reason why the world is apprehended as separate from Sivam is the error of knowledge mediated by the senses,
suttarivu, which fails to turn inward by engaging in spiritual practice, occupying itself fruitlessly with mental concepts which
are the cause of birth.

582.  The soul is nothing other than the Siva Lingam itself.  It is a grievous error for those who are unable to concentrate
their attention and realize this through the subtle awareness that enters the Heart, and asks, 'Who am I?' to wail and
lament as if they were sinners. 

583.  Those who pursue the inquiry Who am I? until the last vestige of identification with the physical body is eradicated
from their hearts will gain the treasure that, like the sky itself, pervades all things as the Self, Sadasiva, shining as itself alone.

584.  In the time of their inquiring into their wrongdoing, expiation for living beings is to abide steadfastly in the reality of the
heart, the unwritten lore of the Vedas, through the self inquiry that asks: for whom is the sin?

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.