Author Topic: Intellect vs Feeling  (Read 1861 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Intellect vs Feeling
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
First it is absolutely necessary to clear the intellectual portion, although we know that intellectuality is almost nothing; for it is the heart that is of most importance. It is through the heart that the Lord is seen, and not through the intellect. The intellect is only the street-cleaner, cleansing the path for us, a secondary worker, the policeman; but the policeman is not a positive necessity for the workings of society. He is only to stop disturbances, to check wrong-doing, and that is all the work required of the intellect. When you read intellectual books, you think when you have mastered them, 'Bless the Lord that I am out of them', because the intellect is blind and cannot move of itself, it has neither hands nor feet. It is the feeling that works, that moves with speed infinitely superior to electricity or anything else. Do you feel? -- that is the question. If you do, you will see the Lord. It is the feeling that you have today that will be intensified, deified, raised to the highest platform, until it feels everything, the oneness in everything, till it feels God in itself and in others. The intellect can never do that. 'Different methods of speaking words, different methods of explaining the text of books, these are for the enjoyment of the learned, not for the salvation of the soul'.

Swami Vivekananda
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Intellect vs Feeling
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
Dear silentgreen,

Very nice.  Sri Bhagavan says that we read books only for intellectual knowledge.  But is intellectual knowledge will not
give self realization.  One should have intense feeling of devotion and this will lead to inquiring within.  This is called Meditational
Inquiry. 

Sri Bhagavan also says that books are like mirror.  But we do not shave the mirror. Seeing the mirror, we shave our face.
We do not shave the mirror or books.

Sri Bhagavan says in one of His stray verses:

In the recesses of the lotus shaped heart of all, beginning with Hari, there shines as pure intellect (Absolute Consciousness),
the Paramatman, who is the same as Arunachala Ramana.  When THE MIND MELTS WITH LOVE FOR HIM, AND REACHES THE
INMOST RECESS OF THE HEART, WHEREIN HE DWELLS, AS THE BELOVED, THE SUBTLE EYE OF PURE INTELLECT OPENS AND hE
REVEALS HIMSELF AS PURE CONSCIOUSNESS.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »
Dear silengreen,

Manikkavachagar says in Tirup pulambal:

உற்றாறை யான்வேண்டேன் ஊர்வேண்டேன் பேர்வேண்டேன்
கற்றாறை யான்வேண்டேன் கற்பனவும் இனியமையும்
குற்றாலத் தமர்ந்துறையுங் கூத்தாஉன் குரைகழற்கே
கற்றாவின் மனம்போலக் கசிந்துருக வேண்டுவனே. 558

I do not want my relatives; my town; any name for me.
I do not want the learned; all that I have read which are sweet,
O Lord of KuRRAlam, O the Dancer, I should to your anklet wearing feet'
cry like the calf to its mother, and become moist and melt.

Arunachala Siva.   

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Thanks for your comments.
Writing freely in general discussion section after a long time.

Yes, Sri Bhagavan has given prime focus on the Heart. Self Enquiry which starts with its attention on the source of individual "I" leads to touching the great Heart.

Sri Ramana's path is intuitive and presentation is unique.
There are many paths. Some can start with Japa, concentration on forehead etc. but unless the individual I "touches" its source tangibly there is no real illumination.
The Atman should "touch" Paramatman in oneness, however faintly.

When we read Sri Ramakrishna and Ramana side by side, the presentation appears different.
However when we try to follow both, I found the real practice very similar, as if on a single continuum.

However the sadhana illustrated by the life of Sri Ramakrishna is very much intense.
If self-enquiry is translated to the sadhana mood of Sri Ramakrishna, it may be something like:
Your Divine Mother is waiting right now in the Heart. Leave all else and jump right in.
What are you waiting for? Cry with an intense yearning and Mother will pull you in.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:29 PM »
The Divine Mother and the earthly mother. It is the Divine Mother who exists in the form of the universe and pervades everything as Consciousness. The earthly mother
gives birth to this body. I used to go into samadhi uttering the word 'Ma'. While repeating the word I would draw the Mother of the Universe to me, as it were, like the fishermen casting their net and after a while drawing it in. When they draw in the net they find big fish inside it

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Thanks for the wonderful post. The 'Ma' uttered by Sri Ramakrishna is very profound. Connected with the underlying feeling 'Ma' spans the spiritual Heart and synergises intricate philosophies:

1. When a devotee utters 'Ma' he (or she) has already acknowledged that his body-mind-soul has been born from a Universal Being. Thus a single word 'Ma' has represented the relationship of individual soul and universal soul effortlessly which has been a matter of debate for ages. Based on the temperament of the devotee, it can span Dvaita, Vishistadvaita and Advaita.

2. When a devotee utters 'Ma', for him the individual soul is not an orphaned entity somehow linked with a detached universal being. But the individual soul is nourished by a caring universal being. This grace 'descent' of the universal being which is so much a matter of debate is effortlessly captured by the word 'Ma'.

3. 'Ma' reverses the aham or ego of the devotee. The reverse of 'Aham' is 'Maha' or the great being which when pronounced smoothly becomes 'Ma'. 'Ma' reverses the aham of the devotee and takes him towards maha or the great consciousness.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:28:41 AM »
silentgreen/Friends,

God is your own Mother.Is She a stepmother? Is it an artificial relationship? If you cannot force your demand on Her, then on whom can you force it?
God is your own Mother. Enforce your demand. If you are part of a thing, you feel its attraction;Because of the element of the Divine Mother in me I feel attracted to Her.

Hanuman, after realizing God in both His Personal and His Impersonal aspect, cherished toward God the attitude of a servant, a devotee. He said to Rama: 'O
Rama, sometimes I think that You are the whole and I am a part of You. Sometimes I think that You are the Master and I am Your servant. And sometimes, Rama, when I contemplate the Absolute, I see that I am You and You are I.'

"Why should I lead a monotonous life? I enjoy my fish in a variety of dishes: curried fish, fried fish, pickled fish, and so forth! Sometimes I worship
God with rituals, sometimes I repeat His name, sometimes I meditate on Him, sometimes I sing His name and glories, sometime I dance in His name."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »
Will continue in Devi Mahatmyam thread.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
oh mama , can this really be the end ?
to be stuck inside a scripture with the i me mine blues again ...
my apologies to bob dylan
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
d: I am good without I
cguru: good