Author Topic: I don't understand  (Read 4569 times)

Agnoia

• View Profile
I don't understand
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
Why was I called to this pursuit when I lack the courage and energy to act on His guidance?

How quickly and willingly I get caught up in illusion.  The moments of clarity are ever so brief.

I only feel an affinity with those who are inward bent, but I only meet those who are outward bent. 

This depression and haze and dominated me since being a child.  No matter what happens I cannot forget His words.  No one else ever told me what I was.  This love I have has alienated me in my day to day life.  I am willing to pay that price, but in the last 10 years have I shed even a little of my ignorance? I have gone such a short distance.  I don't understand it.  It's like being an addict.  I believe Him.  How could I not?  You all are obviously removed of doubts by Him like I am.  But to agree with someone is a very easy thing.  To follow the guidance is much harder.  My crimes against wisdom accumulate swiftly.  I have not found refuge from the sun yet.  I grow tired and weary and withdraw to the comforts of modern society. 

I try to keep my faith. 

Can anyone relate?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: I don't understand
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
Friends,

1.Sometimes it happens that, discriminating between the Real and the unreal, a man loses his faith in the existence of God. But a devotee who sincerely yearns for God does not give up his meditation even though he is invaded by atheistic ideas. A man whose father and grandfather have been farmers continues his farming even though he doesn't get any crop in a year of drought.
New farmers give up cultivating if their fields do not yield any crops. But hereditary farmers will continue to cultivate their fields whether they get a crop or not. Their fathers and grandfathers were farmers; they know that they too must accept farming as their means of livelihood.

2.In some people spiritual consciousness has already been awakened; but they have special marks. They do not enjoy hearing or talking about anything but God. They are like the chatak bird, which prays for rain-water though the seven oceans, the Ganges, the Jamuna, and the rivers near it are all filled with water. It won't drink anything but rain-water, even though its throat is burning with thirst.
Though the chatak bird is about to die of a parched throat, and around it there are seven oceans, rivers, and lakes overflowing with water, still it will not touch that water. Its throat is cracking with thirst, and still it will not drink that water. It looks up, mouth agape, for the rain to fall when the star Svati is in the ascendant. 'To the chatak bird all waters are mere dryness beside Swati water.'

Excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Friends,

All will surely realize God. All will be liberated. It may be that some get their meal in the morning, some at noon, and some in the evening: but none will go without food. All,without any exception, will certainly know their real Self.

Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
Dear Agnoia,

Don't worry, even the ignorance is revealed only because of knowledge, therefore, truly there is nothing to feel let down or feel depressed.

We say the clouds have covered the Sun!, is it possible for clouds to ever cover the Sun? It is just that the clouds have covered our eyes but not the Sun :) even that the clouds have covered the Sun is only known, only because of Sun's own light! The similar with yourself too! You say you don't understand only with the help of the Effulgence within, like the Sun. There is nothing to understand, understanding is maya, it is mind that wants to understand, it is a futile exercise, just wait on, the mind will get tired and all these will pass away! Just keep hanging on, hold on!

Truly there is nothing to worry about, just sail with the river in its own pace and do not try to swim faster or try hard, there is nothing to reach or attain, there is no race or any such, clarity and unclarity are only the aspects of the Mind and not you, who art really the Sun. You are witness to both knowledge and ignorance.

Just experience these phases as they pass by, you remain! Do not make (views, opinion, judgements) anything of these, these are just shadows or products of mind that is illusive. The mind will keep suggesting something now and then, sometimes it suggests clarity and other times it suggests utter unclarity, just be, and just don't co-operate with the mind. Just remain.

Patience, Patience, hold on as all these pass by, just be as all your karmas are being expended. Don't interfere with the suggestions of mind, be it anyhing, good or bad, clarity or unclarity!

:)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Agnoia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  It was helpful for me to hear.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49:52 AM »
Friends,
May I request someone to post a Good translation of Verse 1 of Arunachala pathigam.This captures the attitude and devotional feeling that a devotee should be in to perfection.
The one by Michael James with Sadhu Om's explanation is good , yet is caught up in Grammar and semantics in its construction.It misses the directness,the supplication and simple trust of the inimitable Original verse by Sri Bhagavan.A Translation that only captures the letter but misses the spirit is not of much help.
The attitude that is to be summoned by a devotee is two fold-He/she needs to be indifferent to whatever doubts and depression that may temporarily beset him,Yet he has to summon all his energy and quietly aspire to the ever present Grace and allow it to come to Rescue.(Chatak bird in Sri Ramakrishna's saying)
The Quiet aspiration is tremendously aided by the recitation of verses of Great devotees-as they give voice and volume to our mute Prayer.Prayer has this tremendous power to quicken up our energy and spirit that automatically draws upon the ever present Grace to come to our rescue and there is sunshine again.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »
Friends,
Here is my attempted translation of verse 1 of Sri Arunachala Padigam.Please refine it where appropriate:

Having captivated me out of sheer compassion
If thou grace me not thine vision;
What will be my lot if I quit this body
Pining , balked in this dark and miserable existence?!
Can The Lotus blossom without seeing the sun?
Sun of Sun art thou!
Where Springs forth  Grace streaming out in abundance
Oh Love, the Great Aruna Hill !

This is a wonderful Hymn!Sri Bhagavan says that it is out of sheer compassion that Arunachala captivated him.The Devotee beseeches the Grace to grant the vision!No other thing by way of our doing or non doing can vouchsafe it.He endearingly tells Arunachala(Aruna means 'sun')-'Can the Lotus blossom without seeing the sun'?-This way he puts the onus on Arunachala to grant the vision.

Namaskar.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:41:20 PM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:19:36 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Nice. This is how Smt. Kanakammal has translated the Verse 1 of Padigam:

Oh Love in the form of glorious Arunachala! Thou shinest, the Sun of suns, (the Sun of Wisdom) lending effulgence to the sun
that lights up the universe. Thy causeless Grace, welling up abundantly and swelling into a perennial cascade. claimed me.
Now if Thou dost not bestow me the vision of Thy real form, what will become of me?  Caught up in and harassed by the dense
darkness (ignorance) of the world, wistfully yearning for Thee in anguish and in trepidation, I would only give up this body.
Will the louts bloom unless touched by the sunlight?  Bestow Thy grace on me.

Prof. K. Swaminathan has translated the same Padigam and it looks to me simpler.

You, it was, who by your Grace claimed me as your own.  What would be my fate, if now, after having done this, you would
not reveal yourself to me and I, still yearning for you, should perish in anguish in the darkness of this world?  Can the lotus
blossom unless it sees the sun?  And you are the Sun of suns. Your Grace abounding swells and as a river overlows.
O Love, whose form is mighty Aruna Hill.

Arunachala Siva.             

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »
This is the ashram version from the Five Hymns To Arunachala

O Love in the shape of Arunachala! Now that by Thy Grace Thou hast claimed me, what will become of me unless Thou manifest Thyself to me, and I, yearning wistfully for Thee and harassed by the darkness of the world, am lost? (How) can the lotus blossom without the sight of the sun? Thou art the Sun of suns; Thou causest Grace to well up in abundance and pour forth as a stream!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »
some very touching verses from Aksharamana malai, carrying the same spirit -

தொட்டருட் கைமெய் கட்டிடா யெனிலியா னட்டமா வேனரு ளருணாசலா!
அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலா 51

Unless you touch me with your hand of grace and
embrace me, I am lost, O Arunachala.

நோக்கியே கருதிமெய் தாக்கியே பக்குவ மாக்கிநீ யாண்டரு ளருணாசலா!
அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலா

Look at me! Think of me! Touch me! Make me fit, ripen
me! Then be my master, govern me, O Arunachala. 63

பார்த்தருண் மாலறப் பார்த்திலை யெனினருள் பாருனக் கார்சொல்வ ரருணாசலா!
அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலா 65

Regard me graciously and dispel my illusion, If you don't,
who in the world will plead with you, O Arunachala?

வரும்படி சொலிலை வந்தென் படியள வருந்திடுன் றலைவிதி யருணாசலா!
அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலசிவ, அருணாசலா 94

You asked me, did you not, to come to you? Very well, I have come.
Now you come and assume the burden of maintaining me.
Go on suffering thus. It is your fate to look after me, O Arunachala.

If the longing is there, Realisation will be forced on you even if
you do not want it. Subhechcha is the doorway for realisation.

(Bhagavan)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
How beautiful verses!

Thank You!

With love and prayers,

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
Several years ago I created some large prints for those who like the 'Ten (Eleven) Verses to Arunachala'.

Each one contains a nice photo of Arunachala with the verses - you can see a sample below.

They are approximately 60cm x 43cm with embedded colour profile and at optimum resolution for printing at your local print shop.

They are available for download from:

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/arunachala/download/index.htm (modified link with preview images)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:57:42 AM by Graham »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
Dear Graham,

thanks so much for these... am going to laminate one of these for sure very soon! absolute treasure!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »
Dear Graham,

Thank You Very much! It is beautiful!!!

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
Subramanian/Nagaraj/Graham/Jewell/Friends,
Thanks very much for all the versions of Sri Arunachala pathigam,verse 1 and those from Akshara mana maalai(Marital Garland of letters).
Absolutely breathtaking snaps of Holy Arunachala with all the 11 Hymns of the pathigam wonderfully rendered.These verses are among the best ever composed ,so intense and deeply moving.Thanks very much Graham for this.
I like the idea of Nagaraj -laminating the photograph with the Pathigam verses.
Namaskar.