Author Topic: The (un-)importance of time in self-realisation  (Read 1035 times)

Parthasarathi

• View Profile
The (un-)importance of time in self-realisation
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
Namaste all

I remember reading in different places Maharshi's comments on the role that time plays in the "process" of self-realisation (for want of a better word), in two different contexts, and wanted to trace the exact statements and sources:

1) Responding to some people's account of his own "awakening" experience, that it lasted half an hour (or some such duration).  His response, as I recall, was something like "It's a lie.  Maybe (?) minutes.  No, not even that-where does time enter in this!"  Can anyone here recall the exact statement, and its source?

2) In the larger context of the supposed role of time in sadhana.  Many seekers lament their slow progress, some even despair if, at the rate they are going, they will ever make it, etc.  I believe there are many statements in the scriptures which suggest that it takes several lifetimes even to acquire the necessary qualifications for the enquiry or sadhana.  At several places, Maharshi seems to have refuted this idea, or at least advised seekers not to be limited by such beliefs

I hope you will excuse me if this seems too vague or elementary!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:00:54 PM by Partha »
Pranams~
partha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The (un-)importance of time in self-realisation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »

Dear Partha,

The first one you have referred is appearing in one of the conversations of Sri Bhagavan in Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi.

The second one - I am not sure where it appears.

Arunachala Siva.

Parthasarathi

• View Profile
Re: The (un-)importance of time in self-realisation
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
Thank you for the reply, sir.  I browsed through my digital copy of the Talks but could not find the quote so far.  I shall keep looking.  If you or some other member finds the exact reference, I shall be grateful if they share it here.

On the second point, I just now found a conversation which I am sharing here for future reference of anybody who views this thread later (there are several similar quotes scattered through the literature, including the Talks):

I felt that I was not making spiritual progress, so I once asked Bhagavan, "How many times will I have to be born to get jnana?"

Bhagavan answered, "There are no factors like time and distance. In one hour we dream that many days and years have passed by. Don't you see in a cinema film mere shadows being transformed into great seas, mountains and buildings. The world is not outside you. The small world that is in the mind appears as a big world outside. The annihilation of the mind is jnana."

~ Rangan (from Face to Face with Sri Ramana Maharshi)
http://arunachala-ramana.blogspot.in/2008/04/how-many-times-will-i-have-to-be-born.html
Pranams~
partha