Author Topic: Ramanashram Letters - Suri Nagamma  (Read 4432 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Ramanashram Letters - Suri Nagamma
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
AHAM SPHURANA
22nd November, 1945

Yesterday a Bengali Swami in ochre robes by name Hrishikesanand came here. This morning
from 8-30 to 11-00 Bhagavan continuously discussed spiritual matters with him. That voice
flowed full of nectar and uninterruptedly like the waters of the Ganges. How can my pen
keep pace with that great flow? That amrit (nectar) can only be drunk deep with the hand of
devotion: how can it be gathered and conveyed on paper? When Sri Bhagavan was relating
his experiences in Madurai of the vision of death, these eyes were incapable of taking in the
radiance of his personality, these ears of grasping the full wisdom of his words. It is natural
for the enthusiasm of one who relates an incident to reflect the level of intelligence of him
who listens.

I should have given you a more detailed account of the questions asked by the Swami and the
replies given by Bhagavan; only at present the place reserved for ladies in the hall is rather
far from Bhagavan, and, as I happened to be sitting at the back, I could not hear properly all
that was being discussed. I did however hear one thing clearly. Bhagavan said, “In the vision
of death, though all the senses were benumbed, the aham sphurana (Self-awareness) was
clearly evident, and so I realised that it was that awareness that we call ‘I’, and not the body.
This Self-awareness never decays. It is unrelated to anything. It is Self-luminous. Even if this
body is burnt, it will not be affected. Hence, I realised on that very day so clearly that that
was ‘I’.”

Many more such things were said but I could not follow or remember them; and so I am not
able to write any more about them. There have been several discussions as this before, I am
only sorry I have let slip such innumerable gems. Please excuse my laziness and indifference
in not writing you even though you have been asking me all these days to write.
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Ramanashram Letters - Suri Nagamma
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »
IN SERVICE OF THE SAGE
26th November 1945

When I went to the Asramam for the early morning Vedaparayana everyone was terribly
busy. The kitchen presented a picturesque appearance, some cooking, some cleaning, some
giving orders, everyone busy with one thing or another. Pulihodara, dadhyodhanam, pongal,
vadai, chips, poories and kootu and ever so many eatables were filled into baskets and sent up
the hill. The Sarvadhikari does not appear to have had a wink of sleep the whole night. He is
the person who has taken all the trouble.

Lord Krishna is reported to have stopped the celebration of the annual Indra Yajnam
performed by the shepherds and instead arranged for the worship of the Govardhana Giri
itself. When you saw the series of baskets going up the hill it appeared as if Sri Ramana had
arranged this worship of Arunachala in place of the vana samaradhana of the Amala Tree
(garden festival) performed annually during the month of Karthika.

After Veda-parayana, Bhagavan had his bath and breakfast and started for Skandasramam
accompanied by Rangaswami who is like Nandi to Lord Siva. Leading the way, Bhagavan
went up the hill to Skandasramam as if he was going to his own home.

Without giving the least inconvenience to Bhagavan the devotees proceeded in several groups
and reached Skandasramam. Aunt Alamelu (sister of Bhagavan) and myself followed. Some
other women got to the destination a little late. Being surrounded by the devotees Bhagavan
was seated comfortably under the pleasant shade of the trees just in front of the
Skandasramam building. This showed what a Rishiasramam is generally like. This Asramam
was just like Badarikasramam of old as described in Harivamsam though the latter could not
now be witnessed direct. This Skandasramam like Badarikasramam provided a visual feast
with its water coming out of the rocky fountains resembling the Sandhyarghya jalam (the
oblations at dawn and dusk) of Samyameswara and warblings and melodious notes of the
birds sounding like the musical hymns of Sama Veda as sung by rishikumaras (the sons of
seers). Apart from the many sadhakas and sanyasins present, lawyers and doctors, engineers
and artists, newspaper correspondents and poets, songsters and a good many others arrived
from Madras, Pondicherry and Villupuram. The young and old, the men and women and all
without distinction of high and low, squatted on the ground around Bhagavan looking at him
with a fixed gaze. While the Arunagiri abounding in mineral wealth served as the precious
jewelled-throne, the clouds adorning the sky served the purpose of Sveta Chhatram (the white
Umbrella) and the tree grove with innumerable branches acted as vinjambarams (fans used in
deity worship). Sri Bhagavan shone in his glory as an emperor crowned, while Prakritikanta
(Nature personified) waved lights to him with its agreeable rays of the sun.

Brother! How can I draw that picture for you? The Maharshi is calm and his serene gaze,
coming from the source, pervades all corners. His gentle smile shone like the cool rays of the
moon. His words simply rained amrit. We sat there like statues without consciousness of the
body. The photographers then attended to their job. After 9-30 a.m. the usual daily
programme of the Asramam below, relating to mails, newspapers, etc. was gone through as in
a Maharaja’s durbar. The clouds then increased and the wind blew heavily. The devotees
gave Bhagavan a shawl with which he covered his whole body except the face. Then
Bhagavan, in his sitting posture, looked like his mother Alagamma incarnate. Aunt and
myself were of the same opinion. This scene was also photographed.

[Contd...]
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »
Sri Bhagavan preached for some time in silence in the “gurosthu mowna vyakhyanam” (the
Guru explaining by mere silence) way. There may certainly be some pure-hearted souls that
could all become “chhinna samsayah” (cleared of all doubts). But in my case, my mind ran to
the preparations like pulihodara and dadhyodhanam etc., as it was dinner time. The question
was whether everything was offered to the hill or anything was left behind. The doubt was
solved after 11-30 in the forenoon. My brethren wished to arrange the delicacies for
Bhagavan separately in a comfortable place. But would he agree to that? He got a table
arranged by his sofa and feasted there in the midst of all.

After the meal, his sofa was set up on the verandah which has an iron-grating enclosure. The
devotees were at first at a distance but in a few minutes came near to Bhagavan. Aunt
Alamelu and I with some other women were seated in an adjacent room looking at Bhagavan
through a window just opposite to his lotus feet. He then began to talk, telling us short stories
about his past life on the mountain, relating the arrival of the mother, the construction of
Skandasramam, the water supply, the supply of provisions, the rule of the monkey kingdom,
the peacock dances, his association with serpents and leopards. During this discourse he
greeted a new entrant, the poet Naganarya, by enquiring “When did you come?” Turning
towards me he observed, “Here he comes”. I replied, “Yes”. Then something was recalled to
his mind and he said, fixing his resplendent gaze, “There mother had her nirvana (left her
mortal frame). We made her sit there outside. Still no mark of death was visible in her face.
Like one seated in deep samadhi, divine light was seen in a holy dance. There, just there,
where you are now sitting.”

His enchanting words entered my ears like the sweet note of the Venu (the divine flute). I
stood at this place worth seeking and heard the words worth hearing. What a glorious day is
today!

Kapila liberated Devayani by initiating her into the Reality. Dhruva put Sunita on the path of
salvation. Sri Ramana in his turn not only vouchsafed the eternal empire of freedom and bliss
to his revered mother but also did the highest honour by installing the Mathrubhuteswara
Lingam on her Samadhi to make her glory permanently extolled in the world.

On hearing the word “Mother” from the mouth of Sri Bhagavan, I was overcome with ecstasy
and tears filled my eyes. It sounded as though the words about the mother were uttered to the
daughter. Mahatmas always honour women. They view woman as the mother and love in
perfect form. There is no creation without nature. Before the arrival of the mother there was
no cooking in the Asramam. The mother came and gave a hearty meal to the residents. The
agnihotra (fire) first instituted by the mother does the cooking even today and fills the bellies
of thousands of devotees.

I turned round to see the photo of that revered mother but, being disappointed on finding
none, said silently within, “O Mother, that brought glory to womanhood in general! We are
blessed!” In the meanwhile various kinds of delicacies were served. Half an hour after we ate
them, poori and koottu were given. After helping ourselves we began to go back. After seeing
us all off one after another, Bhagavan came down from the throne of Arunagiri accompanied
by his attendants and, walking slowly, reached the Asramam at its foot just as the sun sank
behind the mountain on the west. Then the routine programme of Veda-parayana etc was
gone through as usual.
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »
SERVICE OF ATMA SWARUPA IS ATMA SEVA
28th November 1945

During the last two or three months, Bhagavan’s personal attendants have been massaging his
legs with some medicated oil to relieve the rheumatic pain. Some of the devotees, zealous in
attention to Bhagavan’s body, also began massaging by turn every half an hour, and this
resulted in upsetting the usual Asramam routine.

Would Bhagavan tolerate all this? He was always considerate even to his personal attendants
and would never say emphatically “No” to anything; so he said in a casual way, “All of you
please wait for a while, I will also massage these legs a little. Should I too not have some of
the punyam (grace)?” So saying, he removed their hands and began massaging his own legs.
Not only was I very much amused at this but what little desire might have still been lurking in
me to touch Sri Bhagavan’s lotus feet and thus perform pranam (salutation) was completely
obliterated. Bhagavan’s words have a peculiar charm of their own! Look! He too wants a
little of the punyam! What a delicate hint to those who have the intelligence to take it!

It was about that time that a retired judge of ripe old age said, “Swamiji, I should also be
given my share of service to the feet of the Guru.” To this Bhagavan replied. “Oh, really?
Atma-vai guruhu! (Service to Self is service to Guru.) You are now 70 years of age. You to
do service to me? Enough of that! At least from now onwards, serve yourself. It is more than
enough, if you remain quiet.”

When one comes to think about it, what greater upadesa (initiation) is there than this?
Bhagavan says it is enough if one can remain quiet. It is natural for him to do so, but are we
capable of it? However much we try we do not attain that state. What else can we do than
depend upon Sri Bhagavan’s Grace?
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »
SAMATVAM (EQUALITY WITH ALL)
29th November 1945

I believe it was about a year back. You know Ramachandra Rao, an Ayurvedic physician?
For preparing a medicine which would give strength to Bhagavan’s body, he made out a long
list of the necessary herbs and ingredients and showed it to Sri Bhagavan, Like a good boy,
who would readily obey instructions, Bhagavan went through the whole list, praised the
efficacy of the various drugs and finally said, “To whom is this medicine, my dear man?” He
said quietly, “For Sri Bhagavan himself”. On hearing that, Bhagavan said, “No doubt, you
have given me a long list, but where am I to get the money for it? It may cost Rs. 10/-, and
whom am I to approach for it?

Someone quietly said, looking around at the Asramam property, “Whose is all this,
Swamiji?”

“Yes, but what have I? If I want a quarter anna, I must go and ask the Sarvadhikari. How
should I go and ask him? He gives me a little food, if I go there as soon as the bell rings. I
also eat along with the others and then come back, and I might be refused food if I was late.
Even in being served food, I come last,” said Bhagavan. The poor physician trembled with
fear and, with folded hands, said, “Swamiji, I just showed you the list and I myself will get
the required drugs.” Upon this Bhagavan said, “Oh yes? You will get them? But if that
medicine is good for me, it must necessarily be good for all the others here. Can you give it to
them also as well as to me?” When some people said, “Why do we want it, Swamiji?”
Bhagavan replied, “If people who do physical work don’t need a body-building tonic, how do
I who merely sits here and eats? No, no, that can’t be!”

Once before, Dr. Srinivasa Rao told Bhagavan about an Allopathic medicine which gives
strength and said that it would be good for Bhagavan if he took it. Bhagavan said, “Yes, that
is all right, you are rich and can take anything; but what about me? I am a mendicant. How
can I have such a costly medicine?” Then the doctor said, “Bhagavan always declines
everything that is offered, but if he agrees to take something, won’t it be forthcoming? Or if
not medicines, why not take some nutritious food such as milk, fruit and almonds?”

Bhagavan replied: “All right; but I am a daridranarayana. How can I afford it? Besides, am I
a single individual? Mine is a large family. How can all of them have fruits, milk, almonds
etc.?”

Bhagavan dislikes anything special for himself. He has often told us that if anybody brings
eatables and distributes them amongst all he will not mind even if he is left out, but he will
feel hurt if the eatables are given to him only and not distributed to others along with him. If
he is walking along a path, and some people are coming in the opposite direction, he does not
like them to step aside for him but instead he will himself step aside and allow them to pass
and, until they do, he will not go a step further. We should consider ourselves fortunate if we
can imbibe even a thousandth part of this spirit of equality and renunciation.

If dull-witted people like me who do not know his ideas give him preferential treatment in
matters of food etc. he excuses a great deal since forbearance is his nature, but when it goes
too far he gets disgusted and says, “What am I to do? They have the upper hand, they are the
people who serve, I am the one who eats. I must listen to what they say, and eat when they
want me to. You see, this is swamitvam (life of a Swami). Do you understand?” What more
admonition can one want than this?
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
“GO THE WAY YOU CAME”
2nd December 1945

On another occasion an Andhra youth came and said, “Swami having a great desire for
moksha (deliverance) and anxious to know the way thereto, I have read all sorts of books on
Vedanta. They all describe it, each in a different way. I have also visited a number of learned
people and when I asked them, each recommended a different path. I got puzzled and have
come to you; please tell me which path to take”.

With a smile on his face, Bhagavan said, “All right, then, go the way you came”. we all felt
amused at this. The poor young man did not know what to say. He waited until Bhagavan left
the hall and then with a depressed look turned to the others there appealingly, and said:
“Gentlemen, I have come a long way with great hope and with no regard for the expenses or
discomfort, out of my ardent desire to know the way to moksha; is it fair to tell me to go the
way I came. Is this such a huge joke?”

Thereupon one of them said, “No Sir. It is no joke. It is the most appropriate reply to your
question. Bhagavan’s teaching is that the enquiry, ‘Who am I?’ is the easiest path to moksha.
You asked him which way ‘I’ should go, and his saying, ‘Go the way you came,’ meant that
if you investigate and pursue the path from which that ‘I’ came, you will attain moksha.

The voice of a Mahatma indicates the truth even when speaking in a light vein. Thereupon
the book, “Who am I?” was placed in the hands of the young man who felt astonished at the
interpretation, and taking Bhagavan’s words as upadesa, prostrated himself to Bhagawan and
went away.

Bhagavan usually gives us his teachings either in a humorous or a casual way or by way of
consolation. During my early days at the Asramam, whenever I felt like going home, I would
approach Bhagavan at some time when there were hardly any people present and say, “I want
to go home, Bhagavan, but I am afraid of falling back into family muddles.” He would reply,
“Where is the question of our falling into anything when all comes and falls into us?”

On another occasion, I said, “Swami, I am not yet freed from these bonds.” Bhagavan replied,
“Let what comes come, let what goes go. Why do you worry?” Yes, if only we could realise
what that ‘I’ is, we should not have all these worries.
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:30 AM »
ECHAMMA’S DEMISE
29th December 1945

On the night of Thursday the 27th at 2-45 Echamma, who was like a mother to Bhagavan, left
her body and attained union with the Almighty at Bhagavan’s lotus feet. I feel rather gratified
than sorrowful at this news. When I moved from her house to a residence near to the
Asramam, she would often say, “I loved you as my child. I thought you would see me out of
this world, but you have gone away to a distance. Now you will come to me only after I am
dead, to see the body off to the cremation ground, won’t you?” When she said this, tears used
to well up in her eyes. But it happened just as she had said. I only heard the news of her
death, not of her sickness, There is a saying, “The child is firm as a rock, the mother fragile
as shellac.” I am only sorry it came too true in this case.

You remember on the 25th you and your wife presented her with some clothes and she was
then busy cooking for guests in the house. That same evening, she was unable to get up and
so asked for water and she was given some. After drinking it, she lay quietly and so, all the
guests left. I am giving you the details as related by her niece who attended on her. After that
drink of water she could not talk or eat, but remained bed-ridden. Next day this news was
conveyed to Bhagavan. On the 27th her condition became serious. Telegrams were sent to her
relatives. Even though she was almost unconscious she would open her eyes slightly, when
anyone called her. At about four in the afternoon one lady wanted to test how far she was
really conscious. So she said, “Food does not appear to have been sent to Bhagavan today.”
Immediately she heard the word “food” she opened her eyes full and, with an exclamation,
cast a questioning look. So as not to disturb her peace of mind, her niece said, “We have sent
it,” and she nodded her head in approval. That is real vrita deeksha (strict observance of a
vow). What can one say of the great mother who would not forget her kainkarya (service) to
Bhagavan, even though she was in the throes of death!

That is all. At 8 o’clock that evening incoherent sounds were coming out of her mouth, her
eyes were glazed and she was clearly in the pangs of death. Her nephew came to Bhagavan
and brought the news. The Asramam doctor went there, examined her and declared that there
was no hope; and then they performed her jeevaprayaschitham (shriving). Anyway, after the
news was conveyed to Bhagavan, she had not much suffering, the breathing became easier
and feebler and she passed away at 2-45 a.m. I came to know of her illness on Thursday
evening and thought I could look her up the next morning but when I came to the Asramam
before starting, I heard this sad news. Bhagavan said to me, “Oh, is she dead? I have been
waiting to see when she would get away from all these worldly worries. So she has gone
away from all these worries. All right, go there and come back.”

I went there along with some devotees. I was overpowered with grief when I saw that body
with the face still undimmed. She was undoubtedly a powerful personality and, when I was
here alone in my early days, she was my sole support. Though much against her will, I
changed my residence, she used to bring me foods along with that of Bhagavan whenever I
was unwell. In accordance with her previous instructions, I bathed her body in Ganges water,
smeared it with Vibhuti (holy ashes) and put on rudraksha beads and then saw her off on her
final journey. All her relatives decided that she should be cremated, not buried.

[Contd...]
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
When I prostrated before Bhagavan at 2-30 in the afternoon, he asked, “How did she die?
What did they do?” I replied, “They decided on cremation. Her relatives said that she wished
her ashes to be buried in her village and a samadhi erected over them with a tulsi plant for
worship.” Bhagavan said, “Yes, yes, that is right. The same was done with Ganapati Sastri
and others.” After I sat down, Bhagavan said in a consoling manner, “I told her quite a
number of times not to worry about this food but to stop it. But no! She was adamant and
refused to take food until she had served Swami. Even today food was sent to me on her
account.” I said, “No more now.” “That Mudaliar old lady is still there” said Bhagavan.
When he said this I was overcome with grief and said, “Whenever Echamma gave me
something to eat, she used to get angry if I did not eat it there and then.” By this time my eyes
were full of tears, and saying, “Yes, yes,” Bhagavan changed the subject. The earthly life of a
devotee who for thirty eight years kept this vow as her talisman and worshipped God has now
come to an end.

Another interesting thing: on the evening of the 27th, after Vedaparayana and my usual
pradakshina (round the hall), when I went in to bow before Bhagavan, I saw him seated
motionless in padmasana, deeply immersed in dhyana and with his hands hanging loose at
his side. His eyes were glowing with radiance as if they were two celestial lights and I felt
that the spiritual lustre of the universe had come down in a concentrated form in the shape of
Bhagavan. I wanted to see it closer and longer but I could not stand the powerful glare
and so
I merely bowed and came home thinking all the while that there must be some deep
significance for that deep meditative state of Bhagavan.

In the night after meals and the subsequent short discourse with Bhagavan at his bedside,
Krishna Bhikshu came to my place with a friend. When I enquired of Asramam news, he said
that Bhagavan had been deeply self-absorbed with a radiant and distant look the whole
evening, and that there must be something great and unusual about it. We wondered what it
could be. Subsequently when we heard the details of Echamma’s demise, we found that from
5 p.m. onwards yesterday she was in the throes of death and that at 9 p.m. when the news was
communicated to Bhagavan, all her agony ceased and she had a peaceful end of her life. Then
we all thought that it was to release this great devotee from her mortal state that Bhagavan
had assumed that superb radiant form the previous evening.
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
A SQUIRREL
3rd January 1946

Do you know how much liberty our brother squirrel has with Bhagavan? Two or three years
back, there used to be one very active and mischievous fellow amongst the squirrels. One day
it so happened that when he came for food, Bhagavan was reading and otherwise occupied
and so delayed a bit in giving him food. That mischievous fellow would not eat anything
unless Bhagavan himself held it to his mouth. Perhaps because of his anger at the delay he
abruptly bit Bhagavan’s finger, but Bhagavan still did not offer him food. Bhagavan was
amused and said, “You are a naughty creature! You have bit my finger! I will no longer feed
you. Go away!” so saying he stopped feeding the squirrel for some days.

Would that fellow stay quiet? No, he began begging of Bhagavan for forgiveness by crawling
hither and thither. Bhagavan put the nuts on the window sill and on the sofa and told him to
help himself. But no, he wouldn’t even touch them. Bhagavan pretended to be indifferent and
not to notice. But he would crawl up to Bhagavan’s legs, jump on his body, climb on his
shoulders and do ever so many things to attract attention. Then Bhagavan told us all. “Look,
this fellow is begging me to forgive him his mischief in biting my finger and to give up my
refusal to feed him with my own hands.”

He pushed the squirrel away for some days saying, “Naughty creature! Why did you bite my
finger? I won’t feed you now. That is your punishment. Look, the nuts are there. Eat them
all.” The squirrel would not give up his obstinacy either. Some days passed and Bhagavan
had finally to admit defeat because of his mercy towards devotees. It then occurred to me that
it was through pertinacity that devotees attained salvation.

That squirrel did riot stop at that. He gathered together a number of his gang and began
building a nest in the roof of the hall exactly above the sofa. They began squeezing into the
beam bits of string, coconut fibre and the like. Whenever there was wind, those things used to
fall down; so people got angry and began to drive them away. Bhagavan however used to feel
very grieved at the thought that there was not sufficient room for the squirrels to build a nest
and that the people in the hall were driving them away. We have only to see Bhagavan’s face
on such occasions to understand the depth of his love and affection for such beings.

When I told Bhagavan that I had written to you about the squirrels in my usual letter, he
remarked with evident pleasure: “There is a big story about these squirrels. Some time back
they used to have a nest near the beam above me. They had children and then grand children
and thus the members of their family grew very large. They used to play about on this sofa in
whatever way they liked. When I went out for my usual walk, some little squirrels used to
hide under the pillow and when on my return, I reclined on the pillow, they used to get
crushed. We could not bear the sight of this, and so Madhawa drove the squirrels out of the
nest and sealed it by nailing some wooden boards over it. There are lots of incidents about
them if one cared to write them.”
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
Dear Sanjay Ji,

Naughty and clever squirrel. :) So beautiful and sweet story. I looove to read such stories,they are so touching.Bhagavan and His All-embracing love...

Thank You!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »
Dear sanjaya,

Sri Bhagavan was compassion incarnate. But occasionally He will show sattvic anger too.  However, the squirrel learnt a lesson
for biting His finger.

Arunachala Siva,   

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »
Dear Jewel

Thanks. Yes - Bhagawan cannot be understood by intellect. This is beyond compassion - because compassion is when you see duality. You will never say I have compassion to my hand and legs - because for us - they are nothing but ourselves.

Sanjay
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:06:08 AM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
MOKSHA
8th January 1946

A few days ago, a lady, a recent arrival, came into the hall at about 3 p.m. and sat down. All
the time she was there, she was trying to get up and ask something of Sri Bhagavan. As
Bhagavan appeared not to have noticed her, and was reading a book, she waited for a while.
As soon as Bhagavan put the book aside, she got up, approached the sofa and said without
any fear or hesitation, “Swami, I have only one desire. May I tell you what it is?” “Yes,” said
Bhagavan: “What do you want?” “I want moksha,” she said. “Oh, is that so?” remarked
Bhagavan. “Yes, Swamiji, I do not want anything else. Is it enough if you give me moksha”,
said she. Suppressing a smile that had almost escaped his lips, Bhagavan said, “Yes, yes, that
is all right; that is good.” “It will not do if you say that you will give it sometime later. You
must give it to me here and now,” she said. “It is all right,” said Bhagavan. “Will you give it
now? I must be going,” said she. Bhagavan nodded.

As soon as she left the hall, Bhagavan burst out laughing and said, turning towards us, “She
says that it is enough if only moksha is given to her. She does not want anything else.”
Subbalakshmamma, who was seated by my side, took up the thread of the conversation and
quietly said, “We have come and are staying here for the same purpose. We do not want
anything more. It is enough if you give us moksha.” “If you renounce, and give up
everything, what remains is only moksha. What is there for others to give you? It is there
always. That is,” said Bhagavan. “We do not know all that. Bhagavan himself must give us
moksha”; so saying she left the hall. Looking at the attendants who were by his side,
Bhagavan remarked, “I should give them moksha, they say. It is enough if moksha alone is
given to them. Is not that itself a desire? If you give up all the desires that you have, what
remains is only moksha. And you require sadhana to get rid of all those desires.”
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
Dear Jewel

Thanks. Yes - Bhagawan cannot be understood by intellect. This is beyond compassion - because compassion is when you see duality. You will never say I have compassion to my hand and legs - because for us - they are nothing but ourselves.

Sanjay

Dear Sanjay Ji,

Yes,quite true. Bhagavan is compassion itself,not the one who is compassionate. It is the quality and nature of Reality itself,when it is manifesting itself. Love itself.

It is truly fascinating,to know about such a man,to read about Him,to know such cute,and indeed wonderful details of His encounters with everything He came across. Imagine to read such stories about Jesus and Buddha! It would be wonderful. Thats why i find these stories truly extraordinary. Bhagavan is a Giant among Sages,and Blessed are all His devotees who recorded all what happened around Bhagavan. And it was happened recently,having in mind Jesus or Buddha who lived many many years ago.

Bhagavan remarked, “I should give them moksha, they say. It is enough if moksha alone is
given to them. Is not that itself a desire? If you give up all the desires that you have, what
remains is only moksha. And you require sadhana to get rid of all those desires.”

And this is wonderful saying of Bhagavan too! Wishing to be liberated is indeed one more desire. Noble one,but still desire. Still wanting of this particular person or ego. Without it,without any desire whatsoever,what remains is really only Moksha. Desires and fears are the main factors which keep this ego alive,and make its separate existence. There are no desires,there is no person no more.

Well,even that must settle like complete conviction in us,when ego sees its hollowness and unability to do anything,but to let go.

With love and prayers,

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
A PAIR OF PIGEONS
17th January 1946

One morning about September or October 1945, a devotee from Bangalore, by name
Venkataswami Naidu, brought a pair of pigeons and gave them to the Asramam as an
offering. Seeing that, Bhagavan said, “We have to protect them from cats etc. is it not? Who
will look after them? A cage is required, food must be given. Who will do all that here? It is
better for him to take them away.”

The devotee said he would make all the required arrangements and requested that they should
be kept in the Asramam. He placed the pair of pigeons in Swamiji’s lap. With overflowing
affection and love, Bhagavan drew them near him, saying, “Come dears! Come! You won’t
go back? You wish to stay on here? All right, stay on; a cage will be coming.” As he thus
petted them with affection, they became absolutely quiet, closed their eyes as if they were in
samadhi, and stayed on there without moving this way or that. Bhagavan thereupon keeping
them on his lap stopped petting them, and with his gracious eyes fixed on them, sat in silence,
deeply immersed in samadhi.

It took nearly an hour for the devotees in the Asramam to find and bring a cage for them. The
wonder of it is, all through that one hour, the pigeons sat in Bhagavan’s lap without moving
one way or the other as if they were a pair of Yogis in samadhi. What could we say about
their good fortune? Is it not the result of their punya in previous births that this great sage
should seat them on his lapis cajole them, by patting them from the head down to the feet
with his hands bless them and thereby bestow on them divine bliss? Not only that; when the
cage was brought in, Bhagavan patted them cajolingly and put them in the cage, saying,
“Please go in. Be safe in the cage,” Then Bhagavan said, “In Bhagavatham, pigeons also are
stated to be in the hierarchy of Gurus, in the chapter relating to Yadu Samvadam. I remember
having read that story long ago.”

While the pigeons were in his lap, one devotee came and asked: “What is this?” Bhagavan
said, without attachment but assuming responsibility. “Who knows? They come, and decline
to go back. They say they will stay here only. Another family has come up on me, as if what I
already have is not enough.”

Dear brother, it is very interesting to witness these strange happenings. It is said that in olden
days Emperor Bharatha renounced the world, and performed great tapas (meditation) but
towards the end of his life, he could think only of his pet deer and so was born a deer in his
next life. In Vedanta sastras in Bharatham and Bhagavatham there are many stories like this.
Bhagavan had told us long ago. “Any living being that comes to me is only to work out the
balance of its Karma. So don’t prevent anyone from coming to me.” When I looked at those
pigeons, it occurred to me that they might be great saints who had fallen from their austerity
in meditation; otherwise how could they get into the lap of Bhagavan, a privilege which is
impossible for ordinary people? In Canto V of Bhagavatham there is a verse which says that
people born in Bharatavarsha are blessed, since Hari has come there a number of times as an
avatar and blesses them by His precepts, help and guidance. The above incident is an
illustration of this, is it not? What do you say?
Salutations to Bhagawan