Author Topic: Swami Śivananda's sayings  (Read 14190 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Swami Śivananda's sayings
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
"Let each man take the path according to his capacity, understanding and temperament. His true guru will meet him along that path."
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »
"Truth is the seat of God. Truth is God. Truth alone triumphs. Truth is the basic law of life. Truth is the means and the goal ultimate. Truth is the law of freedom, falsehood the law of slavery and death. Truth is justice, fair play, adherence to the fundamental laws of ethics. Purity and truth are the twin factors that unfold and awaken the divinity that lies dormant within you and lead you to perfection. Truthfulness is the first pillar in the Temple of God-realization. Truth is the gateway to the Kingdom of God. Truth is like a ladder. It leads you to the Kingdom of Immortal Bliss."

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread. Millions today owe their spiritual knowledge to Swami Sivananda.

Here is an excerpt from a letter Swami Sivananda wrote to Swami Chinmayananda in 1952

"Vigilant among the careless, awake among the sleepers, restrained among the indulgent, reflective among the thoughtless, the wise aspirant marches forward."

His words are like the roar of the lion goading us onto the right path.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Can you please post the complete letter

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:48 AM »
"This world is your best teacher. There is a lesson in everything. There is a lesson in each experience. Learn it and become wise. Every failure is a stepping stone to success. Every difficulty or disappointment is a trial of your faith. Every unpleasant incident or temptation is a test of your inner strength. Therefore nil desperandum. March forward hero!"

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
"Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret and depression. Do not repeat them in the future."

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »
Here is an excerpt from a letter Swami Sivananda wrote to Swami Chinmayananda in 1952

Can you please post the complete letter

The letter seems to be in response to a telegram from Swami Chinmayananda stating he was starting a gnana yagna on Kathopanishad.
I am attaching a photo from the page. Not sure if it is of good quality. It is dated 24th Feb 1952 from Ananda Kutir Post, Rishikesh

Type-written letter below

Adorable Self,
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.
Thy kind telegram.

Vigilant among the careless, awake among the sleepers, restrained among the indulgent, reflective among the thoughtless, the wise aspirant boldly marches forward, reaches the Goal now and here and attains Immortality and Eternal Bliss.

Herewith Prasad. May God give you sufficient strength to fulfill your mission.
Thy Own Self,
Sivananda

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »

Thanks Deepa.

Just curious how did you get the letter, i was guessing the letter would be part of some book, you have the letter itself !!!

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
Vigilant among the careless, awake among the sleepers, restrained among the indulgent, reflective among the thoughtless, the wise aspirant boldly marches forward, reaches the Goal now and here and attains Immortality and Eternal Bliss.

Superb quote from Swami Sivananda . Thanks for sharing that wonderful letter by Swami Sivananda to Swami Chinmayananda .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Superb quote from Swami Sivananda . Thanks for sharing that wonderful letter by Swami Sivananda to Swami Chinmayananda .

Atmavichar - this quote somehow gives me the strength to move on with my sadhana in life. People around me see a change in me and try to draw me back to old ways. This (and my guru) help me stay in my path in a steady manner.

Swayam - Swami Chinmayananda's 100th birthday is coming in 2016. The celebrations/remembrance has started in 2011 itself. They are publishing many books containing his letters, incidents in his life, disciple experiences, etc. The first volume "He did it - his life, his message" contains all the early years, how Swami C transformed from a fiery, skeptical journalist into a renunciate under Swami Sivananda, later his intense sadhana under Swami Tapovanam and then his emergence into modern India as a vibrant pracharak.

This book has many beautiful photos as well.. Swami Sivananda surrounded by his disciples, etc. This is where I found the letter.  (If I had the original, it would be a treasure!!)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
Deepaji

Happy to note that Swami Sivananda and Swami Chinmaya are the guiding forces in your spiritual life . For me it was the mysterious force of Swami Sivananda that pushed me on to the path of Yoga Sadhana ( before that I had only some academic knowledge )  many years back and right now keeping my Yoga sadhana as a base I am moving towards Jnana Marga .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »

Atmavichar - this quote somehow gives me the strength to move on with my sadhana in life. People around me see a change in me and try to draw me back to old ways. This (and my guru) help me stay in my path in a steady manner.

So true Deepa, can not agree more with  you on this. The quote really shakes any one, the journey is not so easy,  but we have to start at some point, better late than never.......and we have all the guidance from so many Mahatmas and this satsangh, what to say.
THANKS !!!! for sharing the quote,

Swayam - Swami Chinmayananda's 100th birthday is coming in 2016. The celebrations/remembrance has started in 2011 itself. They are publishing many books containing his letters, incidents in his life, disciple experiences, etc. The first volume "He did it - his life, his message" contains all the early years, how Swami C transformed from a fiery, skeptical journalist into a renunciate under Swami Sivananda, later his intense sadhana under Swami Tapovanam and then his emergence into modern India as a vibrant pracharak.

This book has many beautiful photos as well.. Swami Sivananda surrounded by his disciples, etc. This is where I found the letter.  (If I had the original, it would be a treasure!!)

When you mentioned that HE roars like Lion, I was reminded of Swami Vivekananda whose 150th  year of birht anniversay is ongoing.

abhilash.ayyagari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Dear Friends,

Swami Sivananda and Swami Chidananda are indeed giants who's work cannot be paralleled in guiding spiritual aspirants.

I came across them in the most unexpected and strangest circumstances.I had no idea about who Swami Sivananda was. One of my friends uncle had been a part of the Yoga Vedanta forest academy and i used to discuss spiritual topics with him when he would visit and expressed my interest in understanding and exploring Vedanta. ( I did not have an iota of idea what Vedanta was except an inner urge to find out the purpose and truth about life).

Many years later we went on a trip to Kedarnath and Badrinath and happened to stay at Haridwar. When we were there my uncle asked if i would like to join the Yoga Vedanta Forest Academy and be a part of the 2 month course. I said a big YES without thinking twice. We went to the ashram the next day and they had batch starting in 1 month's time. I signed myself up without any idea about how i was going to manage my work and leaves and if my company would allow me to go away for 2 months. I left it to God and came back. Fortunately my bosses were considerate enough to let me go.

I went there and spent the best 2 months of my life. I also happened to celebrate my 25th birthday while i was there and i felt so blessed to be there. I learnt many things, met some great people and it was nothing but absolute grace from the great masters that allowed me to pursue the course and learn so much about the Vedas and Vedanta about which i was completely clueless. For those who haven't been to Rishikesh , the ashram is located on the banks of Ganga and a beautiful view of the foothills of Himalayas.

The reason i am sharing this is because for someone like me ,completely lost in the modern ways of life, living an absolute waste of an indulgent life , Swami Sivananda's life, his works and his selfless love for  people woke me up from deep slumber. I am forever grateful for the masters grace and kindness and for allowing someone like me also to live and learn in their ashrams. There were many more confused and lost youth and older men and Swami was the beacon of light that guided us all through.

I have no doubt at all  that their love , grace and kindness will guide us all along and ensure we reach the goal.

Great to see his works here in the forum again :)

Regards,
Abhilash Ayyagari.

Om Arunachaleswaraya Namaha.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
"Meditation is painful in the beginning but it bestows immortal Bliss and supreme joy in the end."

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
"Know that wealth, sex-delights, power, learning are all bondage. This is the beginning of wisdom."

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »

The reason i am sharing this is because for someone like me ,completely lost in the modern ways of life, living an absolute waste of an indulgent life , Swami Sivananda's life, his works and his selfless love for  people woke me up from deep slumber. I am forever grateful for the masters grace and kindness and for allowing someone like me also to live and learn in their ashrams. There were many more confused and lost youth and older men and Swami was the beacon of light that guided us all through.

I have no doubt at all  that their love , grace and kindness will guide us all along and ensure we reach the goal.

Abhilash-ji
If your story is not a proof of the ever-present Grace, what can be?! The grace (through your friend's uncle) came to you and you were thankfully not resisting it.  You are truly lucky to have spent time in the ashram where many spiritual giants have walked.

Swami Sivananda is truly a giant of this last century. He is like the Banyan that has spawned so many other Banyans like Swamis Chidananda, Krishnanda, Chinmayananda, Satchidananda and then through them into many more Swamis like  Dayananda,  Tejomayananda,  Paramarthananda,  Sukhabodhananda,  Omkarananda,  Guruparananda and many others. Through these, millions of people have been exposed, inspired and transformed into the spiritual path.

Just like the old guru parampara we praise of Vashistha, Saktha, Parasara, Vyasa, Sukha and then the group of Gaudapada, Govinda bhagatvatpada, Adi Shankara and his disciples, this parampara from the 20th century has also created a lasting change especially when Kali grew rampant.

With such a rich and thriving parampara, how can we say there is no Grace?
Pranam,
Deepa