Author Topic: Today( Wed 15 May 2013 ) is Adi Shankara jayanti,  (Read 5489 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Today( Wed 15 May 2013 ) is Adi Shankara jayanti,
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »

Today( Wed 15 May 2013 ) is Adi Shankara jayanti,the birth anniversary of Sri Adi Shankaracharya

Sri Adi Sankaracharya was born twelve centuries ago on a Sunday, on Shukla-Panchami day in the month of Vaishakha as per the Indian calendar. The parents (Sivaguru and Aryamba), named him Shankara (शं करोति इति शङ्कर/ śaṁ karoti iti Śaṅkara, i.e. bestower of auspiciousness) in grateful remembrance of Lord Shiva's grace and blessings because of which they begot this child.

The child had divine signs on the body, which are described thus:

मूर्धनि हिमकर चिह्नं निटिले नडनाडकं अंसयोः शूलम्।
वपुषे स्फटिकसवर्णं प्राज्ञास्तं मनिरे शंभुम्॥

mūrdhani himakara cihnaṁ niṭile naḍanāḍakaṁ aṁsayoḥ śūlam,
vapuṣe sphaṭikasavarṇaṁ prājñāstaṁ manire śaṁbhum.

“The learned and the wise saw the brilliance of the moon on his head; on his forehead the sign of the divine eye; his shoulder had the impress of the trident; his body was resplendent like crystal; verily, he looked like Śaṁbhu (Lord Shiva) Himself – walking in the world in human form.”

Speaking of the glory of Sri Sankaracharya, Swami Chinmayananda says:

“Sankara is not an individual. To the students of the Advaita philosophy, Sankara is an institution. No single person could ever have achieved what he achieved in his short span of life.

It is into a chaotic intellectual atmosphere that Sankara brought his life-giving philosophy of the Non-dual Brahman of the Upanishad. He showed himself to be a great organiser, a far sighted diplomat, a courageous hero and a tireless servant of the country. Selfless and unassuming, this mighty angel strode up and down the length and breadth of the country serving his motherland and teaching his countrymen to live up to the dignity and glory of Bharat. Such a vast programme can neither be accomplished by an individual nor sustained without institutions of great discipline and perfect organisation. Establishing the mathas, opening temples, organising halls of education, and even prescribing certain ecclesiastical codes – this mighty Master left nothing in maintaining what he achieved.

The more we adore him, not as a divine incarnation but as a sincere man inspired to serve the country and reconquer the nation from its slavery to alien ideologies – the more we shall successfully pay our tribute to our own culture.”

Today, on the occasion of Sri Sankaracharya's Jayanti (birth) day – let us offer our prostrations to this great Master of Advaita with the following shloka:

श्रुति-स्मृति-पुराणानाम् आलयं करुणालयम्।
नमामि भगवत्पादं शङ्करं लोकशङ्करम्॥

śruti-smṛti-purāṇānām ālayaṁ karuṇālayam,
namāmi bhagavatpādaṁ śaṅkaraṁ lokaśaṅkaram.

I salute Adi Sankaracharya, the abode of the Sruti (Vedas), Smrti (Gita etc.) and Puranas, the repository of compassion, one who is revered and the one who gives happiness to the world.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Today( Wed 15 May 2013 ) is Adi Shankara jayanti,
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

Dear atmavichar 100,

Nice post. Sri Sankara Jayanti is celebrated all over India today.  My wife has gone for some group bhajans on Sri
Sankara's work like Bhaja Govindam today.  Thank you very much.  Sri Sankara and Sri Bhagavan are like Siva and
Subrahmanya.  Sri Bhagavan has translated many works of Sri Sankara to prove that His teachings are no different from
Sri Sankara's.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
Yes Subramaniam Sir

Bhagavan Ramana and Adi Shankara had the same teachings only that Adi Shankara came at a time when Sanatana Dharma was in shambles both in form and spirit and he had to revive it back both in form and spirit and hence apart from writing commentaries on Upanishads , Gita and Brahmasutra he composed various Divine Hymns in praise of various deities all over India , installed Sri Chakra at important Shakti Peetas , established Shankara Mutts at 4 corners of India for propagation of Sanathana Dharma .

Adi Shankara composed a Hymn called Kaupina Panchakam and the meaning of the same completely matches with how Bhagavan Ramana lived .
Kaupina Panchakam and Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi
Koupina Panchakam, a short composition by Adi Sankara is a beautiful stotram on the glory of a sanyasi established in the Self, wearing only a kaupina (loin cloth) and living on alms. This composition applies so well to Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi.

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth — who is roaming in the thoughts of Vedanta (Upanishad), who is satisfied by a meagre portion of begged-food, who is meditating in his inner-self without grief — is indeed blessed.1

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth — who is sitting at the roots of a tree, who is eating unmeasured (meagre) food with his two hands, and who is disregarding wealth like a patched-cloth — is indeed blessed.2

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth — who is elating and satisfying in his own thoughts, who is keeping quiet and curbing his sensual desires, and who is roaming day and night in the thoughts of Brahman — is indeed blessed.3

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth — who is witnessing his body changes, who is seeing self as the aatman, and who is not remembering either the end, or the middle, or the outside one — is indeed blessed.4

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth — who is reciting the Brahma-syllable, who is is existing with the thought ‘I am Brahman’, and who is wandering in directions for alms — is indeed blessed.5

-Adi Shankaracharya-
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

Dear atmavichar100,

Nice.  The kaupina panchakam reflects the state of Sri Bhagavan completely.  Saint Manikkavachagar says in one verse,
Siva, the Self wears Him (i.e. the Self) as koupinaI  Because for the Self, there is nothing other than the Self.

I shall give that verse later.

Thanks for giving English translation of of koupina panchakam.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
Dear atnavichar100.

This is the verse from Tiru Chazhal (Holy Fighting between two groups of young girls one supporting Siva and the other not supporting, as a game.  The first two lines are spoken  by the Opposition and the second two lines by supporters of Siva. ) in Tiruvachakam of Manikkavachagar:

என்னப்பன் எம்பிரான் எல்லார்க்குந் தானீசன்
துன்னம்பெய் கோவணமாக் கொள்ளுமது என்னேடீ?
மன்னுகலை துன்னுபொருள் மறைநான்கே வான்சரடாத்
தன்னையே கோவணமாச் சாத்தினன்காண் சாழலோ. 256

He is my Father, He is my Master, He is also the God for all.  How come He is wearing a koupina that is full of holes* ?

(You don't know)  He is wearing with four Vedas, arts and Space as cross thread (for fixing the koupina in the waist)
and is wearing Thaan (the Self) as the koupina, (you know).   

(*Sri Bhagavan's koupina was also full of holes and He was stitching them with the thread taken out of that koupina,
and using a thorn as needle!)   

When Chengalvaraya Pillai who was an authority in Tiruvachakam and Tiruppugazh, came to have darshan of Sri
Bhagavan, Muruganar, who was already his friend, asked Pillai what he feels while seeing Sri Bhagavan.  Mr. Pillai
answered singing the above song and shed tears profusely and prostrated. 

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
Thanks Subramaniam Sir for sharing this excellent piece of info .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Siva MAnasa Puja is one hymn of Sri Sankara, among many of His hymns, which I like most.  I chant this in Sanskrit in the
mornings.  I have given the meaning in English here.  If someone could give Sanskrit version, I shall be happy. Sri
Sankara being a mendicant, does all puja with mental images, where can He go for materials?  But still, Siva accepts them.

Shiva Manas Puja, written by Adi guru Shankaracharya is a very special hymn, which not only praises Shiva, but also depicts the true flavor of Shiva worship. Shiva needs devotion and not demonstration. In this stotram, we offer to the great Lord various offering not in physical form but in mental form. We Start by offering bath, cloths, foods, devotion and finally offer ourselves to the Lord. The beauty lies in the fact that everything we offer, we offer in the portal of our mind and not physical. The compassionate Mahadeva accepts all our offering and frees us from the consequences of our wrong doings, done knowingly or unknowingly.

1. O Lord, O abode of compassion, O Pasupati, deign to accept my mental offerings of a gem-studded seat, a bath with cool water, divine garments inlaid with precious stones, sandal paste scented with musk, a garland made of jasmine,champaka flowers and bilva leaves, incense, and the waving of lights.

2. O Lord, be gracious enough to accept rice cooked in milk with ghee and sweetened, placed in a golden vessel set with gems, five varieties of eatables with milk and curd, ripe plantains, juices, many varieties of cooked leafy vegetables,sweet water flavored with edible camphor, and betel leaves and nuts, all of which I offer mentally to You.

3. O Lord, be so kind as to accept my worship offered mentally with an umbrella, two chaamaras, a fan, a clean mirror,playing of musical instruments such as veena, beating of various kinds of drums, songs and dance, prostration with the eight limbs, and various hymns of praise.Note. The eight limbs of prostration (sashtanga namaskara)are the hands, legs, knees, chest, head, eyes, mind and speech.

4. O Sambhu, You are my Self, my intellect is Goddess Parvati, your attendants are my vital airs, my body is Your temple, all enjoyments of sense-objects are Your worship, my sleep is Samadhi, all my movements on my feet are circumambulations of You, whatever I speak, is praise of You, and thus whatever action I perform, is Your worship. (Note. When a devotee totally surrenders himself to God, then whatever he does, is according to God’s will. He gives up all sense of being a doer and an enjoyer.)

5. Whatever wrongs I may have committed with my hands,feet, speech, body, ears, eyes, or mind, in any action whether prescribed (by the scriptures) or not, deign to forgive all of them. O Ocean of compassion, O Mahadeva, O Sambhu. Hail unto you.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »
Shiva Maanasa Puja

रत्नैः कल्पितमासनं हिमजलैः स्नानं च दिव्याम्बरं
नानारत्न विभूषितं मृगमदा मोदाङ्कितं चन्दनम् ।
जाती चम्पक बिल्वपत्र रचितं पुष्पं च धूपं तथा
दीपं देव दयानिधे पशुपते हृत्कल्पितं गृह्यताम् ॥ 1 ॥

सौवर्णे नवरत्नखण्ड रचिते पात्रे घृतं पायसं
भक्ष्यं पञ्चविधं पयोदधियुतं रम्भाफलं पानकम् ।
शाकानामयुतं जलं रुचिकरं कर्पूर खण्डोज्ज्चलं
ताम्बूलं मनसा मया विरचितं भक्त्या प्रभो स्वीकुरु ॥ 2 ॥

छत्रं चामरयोर्युगं व्यजनकं चादर्शकं निर्मलं
वीणा भेरि मृदङ्ग काहलकला गीतं च नृत्यं तथा ।
साष्टाङ्गं प्रणतिः स्तुति-र्बहुविधा-ह्येतत्-समस्तं मया
सङ्कल्पेन समर्पितं तव विभो पूजां गृहाण प्रभो ॥ 3 ॥

आत्मा त्वं गिरिजा मतिः सहचराः प्राणाः शरीरं गृहं
पूजा ते विषयोपभोग-रचना निद्रा समाधिस्थितिः ।
सञ्चारः पदयोः प्रदक्षिणविधिः स्तोत्राणि सर्वा गिरो
यद्यत्कर्म करोमि तत्तदखिलं शम्भो तवाराधनम् ॥ 4 ॥

कर चरण कृतं वाक्कायजं कर्मजं वा
श्रवण नयनजं वा मानसं वापराधम् ।
विहितमविहितं वा सर्वमेतत्-क्षमस्व
जय जय करुणाब्धे श्री महादेव शम्भो ॥ 5 ॥

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

abhilash.ayyagari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Dear Friends,

I have a version that i recite which i found on shankaracharya.org sometime ago and this appears as the first verse in Siva Manasa Puja. I am not sure if this is a part of it or now.

Aaradhayami mani sannibham athma lingam,
Maayapuri hrudaya pankaja sannivishtam,
Sradha nadhi vimala chitha jalabishegai,
Nithyam samadhi kusmaira punarbhavai.

I worship that Linga,
Which is in me as my soul,
Residing in the illusory lotus of my heart,
Getting bathed by the clear water,
Of the river of my devotion,
And worshipped daily by the Lotus,
Of my meditation for avoiding another birth.

I do not have the Sanskrit version of this verse.

Om Arunachaleswaraya Namaha.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Thank you very much for your Sanskrit version of Siva Manasa Puja.

Dear abhiash,

Thank you for your very nice poem of Sri Sankaracharya.  The Amta Lingam is ever present in our Heart. But we search
for It in various temples.  Sri Sankara has also said, atma tvam girija madhi... Siva is Atma and Amba is buddhi.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
Aaradhayami mani sannibham athma lingam,
Maayapuri hrudaya pankaja sannivishtam,
Sradha nadhi vimala chitha jalabishegai,
Nithyam samadhi kusmaira punarbhavai.

आराधयामि मणिसन्निभमात्मलिङ्गं
मायापुरीहृदयपङ्कजसन्निविष्टम्
श्रद्धानदीविमलचित्तजलाभिषेकैः
नित्यम् समाधिकुसुमैरपुनर्भवाय॥

Dear Sri Abhilash,

This appears in yet another wonderful work of Shankara Bhagavatpaadal - Nirguna Manasa Puja

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

abhilash.ayyagari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »
Thanks Nagaraj Sir.

I was not aware of Nirguna Manasa Puja. I just looked it up and it is absolutely beautiful. Here is the link (English translation) for anyone else who may be interested:

http://shankaracharya.org/nirguna_manasa_puja.php

Many thanks again.

Regards.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
Dear all,

This is Nirguna Manasa Puja of Sri Adi Sankara as available from the link given by our friend:

Nirguna Manasa Puja

By Sri Adi Sankaracharya,  Translated by Swami Yogananda Sarasvati

The disciple asked:

1. In the indivisible Satchidananda whose nature is only unconditioned, and which is also the non-dual state, how is worship prescribed?

2. Where is the invocation (avahana) of the Fullness, and the seat (asana) of the All-supporting How is there washing of the feet (padya), offering of water (arghya) and sipping (achamana) for the limpid and Pure One?

3. How is there bathing (snana) for the Immaculate, and clothing (vasa) for the womb of the universe? How is there a sacred thread (upavita) for Him who is without lineage and caste?

4. How is there sandal paste (gandha) for the Unattached, and flowers (pushpa) for the Odorless? What is the jewel (bhusha) of the Undifferentiated? What ornament (alamkara) for the Formless?

5. What use of incense (dhupa) for the Spotless, or of lamps (dipa) for the Witness of everything? What is here the food-offering (naivedyam) for Him who is satiated only with His own bliss?

6-7. How does one prepare betel (tambula) for the Rejoicer of the universe? He whose nature is self-luminous consciousness, that Illuminator of the sun and other stars, who is sung by `shrutis', how is there for Him the light- waving ceremony (nirajana) What circumambulation (pradakshina) for the Infinite? What prostration (pranama) for the non-dual Reality?

8. For Him who is unknowable by the words of the Vedas, what praise (stotra) is prescribed? How is there the ceremony of dismissal (udavasana) for Him who is established inside and outside?

The Guru said:

9. I worship the symbol of the Self (atmalinga) shining like a jewel and situated in the heart-lotus within the city of illusion, with the ablutions (abhisheka) of the unsullied mind from the river of faith, always, with the flowers of samadhi, for the sake of non-rebirth.

10. `I am the One, the Ultimate'. Thus one should invoke (avahayet) Lord Siva. Then one should prepare the seat (asana) , that is thinking of the self-established Self.

11. `I have no contact with the dust of virtue and sin.' Thus should the wise one offer washing of the fet (padya), that is such knowledge destroying all sins.

12. One should pour forth tha handful of water which is the root- ignorance held from time without beginning. This is verily the water- offering (arghya) of the symbol of the Self.

13. `Indra and other beings drink only the tiny fraction of a drop from the waves of the bliss ocean of Brahman.' That meditation is considered as the sipping (achamana).

14. `All the worlds are bathed verily by the water of Brahma's bliss which is indivisible.' That meditation is the ablution (abhishechana) of the Self.

15. `I am the light of Consciousness without any veil'. This thinking is the holy cloth (sad vastram) of the symbol of the Self. Thus should think the wise one.

16. `I am the thread of the garland of all the worlds which are in the nature of the three gunas'. This conviction is verily considered here as the highest sacred thread (upavIta).

17. `This manifold world mingled with numerous impressions is supported by me, and by no other'. This meditation is the sandal paste (chandana) of the Self.

18. With the sesamum-flowers in the form of renunciation of the activity of sattva, rajas, and tamas, one should always worship (yajet) the symbol of the Self, for attaing liberation while living.

19. With the non-dual Bel leaves devoid of the triple distinction between the Lord, the guru, and the Self, one should worship (yajet) Lord Siva that is symbol of the Self.

20. One should think of His incense (dhupa) as the giving up of all impressions. The wise one should show the lamp (dipa) that is the realization of the luminous Self.

21. The food-offering (naivedyam) of the symbol of the Self is the big rice pudding known as the egg-universe of Brahma. Do drink the sweet nectar of bliss that is the delightful beverage (upasechana) of Mrityu or Lord Siva.

22. One should remember that cleansing the remnants of ignorance with the water of knowledge, is the washing of hands (hasta prakshalana) of the pure symbol of the Self.

23. Giving up the use of the objects of passion, this is the chewing of betel (tambula) of Lord Siva, the supreme Self who is devoid of the attributes beginning with passion.

24. Knowledge on one's own nature of Brahman, most shining, and burning to destruction the darkness of ignorance, that is here the waving of lights (nirajana) of the Self.

25. The vision of the manifold Brahman is the ornament (alamkritam) with garlands. Then one should remember the vision of the all- blissful nature of the Self, as the handful of flowers. (pushpanjali).

26. `Thousands of Brahma's mundane eggs revolve in me, the Lord, whose nature is immovable and steady like a heap.' This meditation is the circumambulation (pradakshina).

27. `I am verily worthy of a universal salutation. Apart from my true Self, none is so worthy of salutation.' This reflection is verily here the salutation (vandana) of the symbol of one's own Self.

28. The idea of the unreality of duties is termed as the saintly act (sat kriya) of the Self. Thinking of the Self as being beyond names and forms, this is the praise of his name (nama kirtana).

29. The hearing (shravana) of that God is the thought of the unreality of things to be heard of. The reflection (manana) of the symbol of the Self is the thought of the unreality of things to be reflected on.

30-31. Knowledge of the unreality of things to be contemplated upon, is the deep meditation (nididhyasana) of the Self. Devotedness to the Self by the absence of all delusion and distraction, is named the perfect steadiness (samadhi) of the Self; and not delusion of one whose mind rests on something else. This is called the eternal reposeof the mind (chitta vishranti) in Brahman itself.

32-33. Thus performing till death or even for a moment this worship of the symbols of one's own Self, which is expounded according to Vedanta, one who is well concentrated should give up the illusion of all bad impressions, as dust from the feet. Having shaken off the mass of ignorance and pain, one attains the bliss of liberation

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
Dear All,

Nirguna Manasa Puja is available in kamakti.org.  (Sanskrit-Tamizh version)

Arunachala Siva.   

abhilash.ayyagari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Thank you for posting the text Subramanian Sir :)

It is indeed a wonderful stotra by the great Master.

Regards.