Author Topic: Vedanta questions  (Read 11559 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Vedanta questions
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »
Dear Hari,

In those times, one can stop self inquiry and do mantra japa.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »
It is more easy to do Self-inquiry or to abide as the Self when you are young and healthy. But how that be achieved if you are in pain, old, weak, in troubles? How 'Who am I?' is to be applied in these situations? What should be our advice to the people with not very fortune life? Can you do Self-inquiry when you are depressed, in pain, catched a cold or your life is a mess?

Hari,

Self Enquiry has nothing to do with the body, it does not matter if it is healthy, young or old. Infact, Self Enquiry alone is such a Sadhana that transcends any protocol, It requires no paraphernalia or preparations, utensils or place, or the remembrance of some shlokas or mantras or Psalms and so on! What is required is mere willingness, then the grace takes over!

an old man who is even unable to move his body an inch even in the deathbed, could do this without any trouble.

What is required is to hold on fast to Grace.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
Dear Subramanian, Nagaraj,

yes, I agree with both of you. However it is very difficult to concentrate on your Self when the body is in pain or you are very sad or you have some big family problems. Yes, in theory there would not be any problem to do Self-inquiry in any situation. But in fact I am not so sure that it is so even though I think the same as you.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
Dear Hari,

I agree with Sri Nagaraj. And like also Sri Subramanian have said,You can,at some difficult moments,pray,doing mantra japa,etc.

Difficult life is a wake up call,it is a blessing in disguise,making us more alert,more aware,and making us turn to God. It is best possible opportunity for sadhana,coz we dont bother when we are happy,healthy,etc. I think that if we menage to deal with all difficulties,and no matter what do our best toward realization,Grace is even stronger then,and results even better. It is a great opportunity indeed.

Also,rare are ones who turn to God when their life is easy,almost all sadhakas have more or less hard life. So long we can talk,think,wright,we can do self enquiry.

Everything is possible with our willingness and faith.

With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
Dear Hari, actually, what you have mentioned is some thing every sincere sadhaka faces. It is not unique to just you. Perhaps most face much more difficulties. What becomes a catalyst here is the sadhaka's persistence and sincerity in pursuance of the sadhana. It is not going to be easy. Infact, it becomes easier as we persistently try. It is not going to be a rosy path :)

So long as subtle tendencies continue to inhere in the mind, it is necessary to carry on the enquiry: 'Who am I?'. As and when thoughts occur, they should one and all be annihilated then and there, at the very place of their origin, by the method of enquiry in quest of the Self.

The so called destination never comes to us, only we got to reach there, put all our efforts onto it. Again the intensity of our persistence and efforts and sincerity would be directly proportional to the extant of the intensity of our desires.

Vedanta says, that a man should strive to Realise God with the same urge with which a man would run towards water, had his head caught fire (प्रदीप्त शिरहा जलराशिमिव). It is with the same sense of urgency that one should pursue God – Realisation (समिप्पाणिः श्रोत्रियम् ब्रह्मनिष्ठमुपगच्छेत्). And this samsara, has been as disconcerting as fire on one's head for Bhakthas and Rishis.

Such ought to be the desire and fervor. Kindly follow this post: http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7164.msg43693#msg43693

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
Vedanta says, that a man should strive to Realise God with the same urge with which a man would run towards water, had his head caught fire (प्रदीप्त शिरहा जलराशिमिव). It is with the same sense of urgency that one should pursue God – Realisation (समिप्पाणिः श्रोत्रियम् ब्रह्मनिष्ठमुपगच्छेत्). And this samsara, has been as disconcerting as fire on one's head for Bhakthas and Rishis.

This is so true,so true... Only intense longing and hunger for God can save us from this madness.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
Dear Hari,

I agree with Sri Nagaraj. And like also Sri Subramanian have said,You can,at some difficult moments,pray,doing mantra japa,etc.

Difficult life is a wake up call,it is a blessing in disguise,making us more alert,more aware,and making us turn to God. It is best possible opportunity for sadhana,coz we dont bother when we are happy,healthy,etc. I think that if we menage to deal with all difficulties,and no matter what do our best toward realization,Grace is even stronger then,and results even better. It is a great opportunity indeed.

Also,rare are ones who turn to God when their life is easy,almost all sadhakas have more or less hard life. So long we can talk,think,wright,we can do self enquiry.

Everything is possible with our willingness and faith.

With love and prayers,

Dear Jewell, yes. I agree. Some devotees had good life, some had bad life, some was in the middle. The point is can our situation now be a problem for our realization. Or it is just what we need to proceed further in the field of spirituality.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
Dear Hari, actually, what you have mentioned is some thing every sincere sadhaka faces. It is not unique to just you. Perhaps most face much more difficulties. What becomes a catalyst here is the sadhaka's persistence and sincerity in pursuance of the sadhana. It is not going to be easy. Infact, it becomes easier as we persistently try. It is not going to be a rosy path :)

So long as subtle tendencies continue to inhere in the mind, it is necessary to carry on the enquiry: 'Who am I?'. As and when thoughts occur, they should one and all be annihilated then and there, at the very place of their origin, by the method of enquiry in quest of the Self.

The so called destination never comes to us, only we got to reach there, put all our efforts onto it. Again the intensity of our persistence and efforts and sincerity would be directly proportional to the extant of the intensity of our desires.

Such ought to be the desire and fervor. Kindly follow this post: http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7164.msg43693#msg43693

--

Dear Nagaraj, beautiful musings! I have many things to say about what you have written but I will do it later when I am more free. :)

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
Individuality is a myth .It   is a mindset, behaviour and activities built in a person, which keeps on changing. No body is the same person over a period of time . Maha Vishnu took so many avatars -names and forms -what is the individuality in him? Krishna is totally a different personality from Rama.

Nirguna Brahaman, with a tinge of  in built Maya, project creation-Iswara World and Soul. The clan of Iswara from creation to the deluge take some form to sustain the world. Thats all .

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »
Dear Jewell, yes. I agree. Some devotees had good life, some had bad life, some was in the middle. The point is can our situation now be a problem for our realization. Or it is just what we need to proceed further in the field of spirituality.

Dear Hari,

I think that our present situation is not,in any way,problem for realization. Because,it is not our situation,and realization cannot in any way be brought about. It already Is,and ego cannot in any possible way become realized. And it is only ego which suffer. Self does not know such thing like suffering,or pleasure. So i believe,and like Bhagavan said,this is just what we need for realization,and all is serving only,and only that purpose. So we need to use it in the best possible way.

With love and prayers,

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
Individuality is a myth .It   is a mindset, behaviour and activities built in a person, which keeps on changing. No body is the same person over a period of time . Maha Vishnu took so many avatars -names and forms -what is the individuality in him? Krishna is totally a different personality from Rama.

Nirguna Brahaman, with a tinge of  in built Maya, project creation-Iswara World and Soul. The clan of Iswara from creation to the deluge take some form to sustain the world. Thats all .

Dear arcsekar,

Etymologically 'individuality' is the Self because 'individus' means only 'that which cannot be divided'. The world and we as people are only a play of the Divine Consciousness. Yes, Rama and Krishna are not the same individuals but they are the same Saguna and Nirguna Brahman. They are Self-realized being. But they are also manifestation of Ishvara. They can control Maya.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

Dear Hari,

I think that our present situation is not,in any way,problem for realization. Because,it is not our situation,and realization cannot in any way be brought about. It already Is,and ego cannot in any possible way become realized. And it is only ego which suffer. Self does not know such thing like suffering,or pleasure. So i believe,and like Bhagavan said,this is just what we need for realization,and all is serving only,and only that purpose. So we need to use it in the best possible way.

With love and prayers,

Dear Jewell, yes.
Drop the ego, be the Self. This is all that is needed. But just as it is very difficult to convince a psychotic that he is not Napoleon so it is not easy to drop the ego-idea and just be the Self.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
But just as it is very difficult to convince a psychotic that he is not Napoleon so it is not easy to drop the ego-idea and just be the Self.

:D

Yes,difficult,but not impossible,isnt?

And i guess Bhagavan would ask,for whom is the difficulty...

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
But just as it is very difficult to convince a psychotic that he is not Napoleon so it is not easy to drop the ego-idea and just be the Self.

:D

Yes,difficult,but not impossible,isnt?

And i guess Bhagavan would ask,for whom is the difficulty...

And thank goodness. If it was not so then all our attempts would be in vain. :) Yes, Bhagavan would ask this. The problem is that there is nobody there. And this is one of the problems for the ego. Ego is hoping to 'find' something or someone. But what is to be found?

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
I guess we need to find out that...