Author Topic: Wrong Reputation/Impression  (Read 1431 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Wrong Reputation/Impression
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:20:34 AM »
Dear All,

In the recent past when I had conversation with my peers about Lost Shiva I found that there is wrong impression in people. With most of the Sadhus who are addicted smoking sutta & other habits people always have wrong impression that devotees or sadhus of lord shiva are bit wild, aggresive, chain smokers etc. Worst thing is these people are Hindu's & I wonder what reputation others have. With many Sadhus these days who are not compliant to the rules of real saint leaving bad impression for the identity of Lord Shiva & his devotees I feel.

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!

deepa

• View Profile
Re: Wrong Reputation/Impression
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »

Vinodji
It is unfortunate that a few who are misguided in their spiritual practices bring dishonor to a whole pure tradition.
The answer to such people is to talk of the great Nayanmars, Adi Shankara, many Siddhars, and even our Bhagawan. In every religion, sect, cult, there are the ones who worship/follow right practices and the ones who follow erroneous practices.

In any case, Swami Paramarthananda says that even such distasteful practices like animal sacrifice, madhu pana was allowed within the Hindu fold for some people who were not able to follow more sattvic practices due to their innate tendencies. For e.g., a person accustomed to alcohol/smoke was allowed to use them, but as an offering to God. However, this initial practice was expected to lead to more sattvic practices. The religious setup had to accommodate such people also without setting a very high goal for them and driving them away.

Om Namah Shivaya!
Deepa