Author Topic: How about such a devotee of Ramana? The Power of Arunachala from far away?  (Read 2757 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste to All,

What about people who daily read Ramana's words (noted by others), follow his teachings but for any reason they can't visit the holy Hill of Arunachala and the Asramam?

Some people say that there are powers at that place. But can Arunachala have an effect on those far away (in Europe e.g.)?

How great is His power?

Does one have to physically go to that place to feel that power?

It is also said that Arunachala is the Hill of Fire burning our sins, destroying our ego, etc.
Does it have this effect from far away, too?

What if one can go there only once in this lifetime. Does its effect remain with her/him even when it seems to fade away on the surface?

You may smile at my questions. But they are of an honest heart. :)

Thank you for your helpful and kind answers.
People on this board have helped me a lot by giving their answers with patient. Special thanks to them all.

Arunachala Shiva

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dear Kicsi,

In my own case it was almost 20 years between first becoming a devotee of Bhagavan and being permitted/able to visit Arunachala. They say that 'absence makes the heart grow fonder (of that which is absent)' and in that 20 years my longing grew until it had to produce fruit.

Arunachala/Bhagavan are not limited, even as you are not limited to any time or space. All are products of the mind, but in the case of Arunachala/Bhagavan such thought leads to the destruction of the mind, whereas other thought leads to the mind becoming more entrenched in the unreal.

This my experience and I am sure that it is the same for others.

The scriptures testify that just to think of Arunachala is enough.

Graham

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Dear Kicsi108,

Being myself not able to visit Arunachala so far,i can freely say that the power of our Beautiful Father is same no matter where we are. I saw His power and Grace working in such a beautiful and misterious ways. I saw things and happenings which are nothing less then miracles. With only a thought of Arunachala and Bhagavan. And,no matter i was never there,i feel His power and Love every day,and i never had impression He is somewhere far away,but always by my side. Although,i would love to visit Arunachala very,very much.

I can see working of that Grace even in this very forum. How affect us,purifies us. I dont feel any distance betwean Arunachala and Bhagavan,and us. And how there can be distance! If we are All Pervading Self only,coz there is nothing but the Self,where is the question of distance.

That's why i love Bhagavan's words,golden words:"Where can I go? I am Here!"

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
kicsi108,
Graham and jewell have answered so well and adequately.

What about people who daily read Ramana's words (noted by others), follow his teachings but for any reason they can't visit the holy Hill of Arunachala and the Asramam?
Some people say that there are powers at that place. But can Arunachala have an effect on those far away (in Europe e.g.)?
How great is His power?

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
Parable of the two friends
'As is a man's feeling of love, so is his gain.' Once two friends were going along the street, when they saw some people listening to a reading of the Bhagavata. 'Come, friend', said the one to the other. 'Let us hear the sacred book.' So saying he went in and sat down. The second man peeped in and went away. He entered a house of ill fame. But very soon he felt disgusted with the place. 'Shame on me!' he said to himself. 'My friend has been listening to the sacred word of Hari; and see where I am!' But the friend who had been listening to the Bhagavata also became disgusted. 'What a fool I am!' he said. 'I have been listening to this fellow's blah-blah, and my friend is having a grand time.' In course of time they both died. The messenger of Death came for the soul of the one who had listened to the Bhagavata and dragged it off to hell. The messenger of God came for the soul of the one who had been to the house of prostitution and led it up to heaven.
"Verily, the Lord looks into a man's heart and does not judge him by what he does or where he lives. 'Krishna accepts a devotee's inner feeling of love.'

It is also said that Arunachala is the Hill of Fire burning our sins, destroying our ego, etc.
What if one can go there only once in this lifetime. Does its effect remain with her/him even when it seems to fade away on the surface?

Excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
1.Master (to M. and the others): "Well, these people practise so much japa and go to so many sacred places, but why are they like this? Why, do they make no progress? In their case it seems as if the year consists of eighteen months.
"Once I said to Harish: 'What is the use of going to Benares if one does not feel restless for God? And if one feels that longing, then this very place is Benares.'
"They make so many pilgrimages and repeat the name of God so much, but why do they not realize anything? It is because they have no longing for God. God reveals Himself to the devotee if only he calls upon Him with a longing heart".

2.Master:(To the elder Gopal) "Do you intend to go on a pilgrimage now?"
GOPAL: "Yes, sir. I should like to wander about a little."
RAM (to Gopal): "He [meaning the Master] says that one becomes a kutichaka after being a vahudaka. The sadhu that visits many holy places is called a vahudaka. He whose craving for travel has been satiated and who sits down in one place is called a kutichaka.
"He also tells us a parable. Once a bird sat on the mast of a ship. When the ship sailed through the mouth of the Ganges into the 'black waters' of the ocean, the bird failed to notice the fact. When it finally became aware of the ocean, it left the mast and flew north in search of land. But it found no limit to the water and so returned. After resting awhile it flew south. There too it found no limit to the water. Panting for breath the bird returned to the mast. Again, after resting awhile, it flew east and then west. Finding no limit to the Water in any direction, at last it settled down on the mast of the ship."
MASTER (to the elder Gopal and the other devotees): "As long as a man feels that God is 'there', he is ignorant. But he attains Knowledge when he feels that God is 'here'.
"A man wanted a smoke. He went to a neighbour's house to light his charcoal. It was the dead of night and the household was asleep. After he had knocked a great deal, someone came down to open the door. At sight of the man he asked, 'Hello! What's the matter?' The man replied: 'Can't you guess? You know how fond I am of smoking. I have come here to light my charcoal.' The neighbour said: 'Ha! Ha! You are a fine man indeed! You took the trouble to come and do all this knocking at the door! Why, you have a lighted lantern in your hand!' (All laugh.)
"What a man seeks is very near him. Still he wanders about from place to place."
RAM: "Sir, I now realize why a guru asks some of his disciples to visit the four principal holy places of the country. Once having wandered about, the disciple discovers that it is the same here as there. Then he returns to the guru. All this wandering is only to create faith in the guru's words."

continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
kicsi108,
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna continued...
3.Master:"But one undoubtedly finds inspiration in a holy place. I accompanied Mathur Babu to Vrindavan. Hriday and the ladies of Mathur's family were in our party. No sooner did I see the Kaliyadaman Ghat than a divine emotion surged up within me. I was completely overwhelmed. Hriday used to bathe me there as if I were a small child.
"In the dusk I would walk on the bank of the Jamuna when the cattle returned along the sandy banks from their pastures. At the very sight of those cows the thought of Krishna would flash in my mind. I would run along like a madman, crying: 'Oh, where is Krishna?
Where is my Krishna?'
"I went to Syamakunda and Radhakunda in a palanquin and got out to visit the holy Mount Govardhan. At the very sight of the mount I was overpowered with divine emotion and ran to the top. I lost all consciousness of the world around me. The residents of the place helped me to come down. On my way to the sacred pools of Syamakunda and Radhakunda, when I saw the meadows, the trees, the shrubs, the birds, and the deer, I was overcome with ecstasy. My clothes became wet with tears. I said: 'O Krishna! Everything here is as it was in the olden days. You alone are absent.' Seated inside the palanquin I lost all power of speech. Hriday followed the palanquin. He had warned the bearers to be careful about me".

Every approach and point of view has a validity and it is upto us to take it as such and proceed without binding ourselves in anyway.If the opportunity presents itself to visit Sri Ramanasramam,it will be indeed wonderful to visit the place Graced by Sri Bhagavan's physical presence,where he lived that wonderful life.If one is not in a position to visit,one can still dwell on it from afar and yet feel near to Sri Bhagavan and Arunachala-as Sri Bhagavan and Arunachala are one's very Self.

Wishing you the very Best.

Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
Namaste to All,

How great is His power?

Does one have to physically go to that place to feel that power?

You may smile at my questions. But they are of an honest heart. :)

Thank you for your helpful and kind answers.
People on this board have helped me a lot by giving their answers with patient. Special thanks to them all.

Arunachala Shiva

Dear Kicsi108,

I got your question. 

I am slowly going into your situation.  Initial three years,  until now I have been visitng arunachala every 3 months and spending lot of time with my Supreme Lord .

Because from Bangalore to Arunachala is only one night travel,  all these days I had the great fortune.

But now I am being transferred to Bombay and cannot afford to come here frequently.

I should have devloped enough inner contact by now . I have decided to think of Arunachala more dedicatedly now.     It is our earnest that matters .

Know what ?

Foreigners like you ,  must earn for atleast one time visit and make sincere efforts to come to arunachala once.  And that will be more than sufficient and later you can use that as initial initiation and make a mental contact as intensely as possible.

But the same rule does not apply to somebody in India with a overnight train / bus travel distance from arunachala.  They should show their love by making a visit atleast a quarter or so.

And for others in India also,  they can definitley aim at yearly twice a visit.

The idea is this:

One who really loves Arunachala will naturally like to come there physically also.  He will not be satisified with mental contact because trule love pulls one .

But at the same time, he may not really suceed to come as often  from a foreign land. 

But the thirst to come will always be there.

There is no one rule that is applicable for all.

But for your seeing  your distance,  you should be happy if you already made one trip.

Indians should not find that as an excuse saying metnal contact is enough.  They should earnestly apply leave in their office and come to arunachala every quarter.

Generally itself, I feel,  my love to Arunachala being an Indian Brahmin is somewhat formal.  Because I knew Shiva right from my 1st year as a baby,  with all rituals surrounded,  there is only a formal love.

But you foreigners are very lucky,  you love Arunachala in your own way with all your english and thanksgiving Music.  I like that innocence and love which will make Arunachala inturn love you so much.

Arunachalam is a final word that drives one towards the Heart forcibly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:02:08 AM by ksksat27 »

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Dear ksksat27,

Thank you for your answer and that of others as well.

I have been there once. I succeeded to go there for one week at the beginning of 2011.
At that time, I made pradakshina 2 times and spent a lot of time in the Asramam.
I also have pictures, books of Ramana and a murti of Shiva and japa beads that I brought from Tiruvannamalai.

I have been longing to go back again but as for now, I don't think I can in the (near or ever) future.
But your and others' answers are encouraging.

Somewhere deep in my heart I reagard and treasure that one visit as a 'sign' that I need to follow Ramana - since I managed to get there at least once in this life whereas some people within India can't do that (due to karma?).

I plan to make a small altar (stone from Arunachala, pictures books of Bhagavan, etc.) in my room as well. How about this? :)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Dear ksksat27,

Thank you for your answer and that of others as well.

I have been there once. I succeeded to go there for one week at the beginning of 2011.
At that time, I made pradakshina 2 times and spent a lot of time in the Asramam.
I also have pictures, books of Ramana and a murti of Shiva and japa beads that I brought from Tiruvannamalai.

I have been longing to go back again but as for now, I don't think I can in the (near or ever) future.
But your and others' answers are encouraging.

Somewhere deep in my heart I reagard and treasure that one visit as a 'sign' that I need to follow Ramana - since I managed to get there at least once in this life whereas some people within India can't do that (due to karma?).

I plan to make a small altar (stone from Arunachala, pictures books of Bhagavan, etc.) in my room as well. How about this? :)

Dear Kicsi108,

Nice points and appreciate your devotion.

But don't decide you may not come again.  Sincerely put a prayer to come to Arunachala daily .    Leave the rest to Him.  That way atleast we oursevles don't spoil His intention to interfere in our prarabhda.

not only who within India could not reach Annamalai due to karma, there are many more who go there to Arunachala,  enter Ramana's ashram there ,  but could not believe in the mountain and its greatness.  these are not ordinary people, they are well versed in vedanta and siddhanta,  orthodox and well versed in vedas.  Still they miss the point even after reaching Arunachala.  You know,  they have so much knowledge accumulated,  so how the head will bow down? 

And there are also poor labour uneducated people,  who also visit Arunachala and they too miss the point.  They are not learned but simply they are not ready to take it,  they are well immersed in their day to day normal life. 

Arunachala is always a paradox Kicsi,   I think Arunachala operates on everybody on a moment to moment basis,  forgetting that person's past and future, Arunachala bestows grace only at this very moment,  seeing that person's devotion or non devotion.

For example,  one day you feel very bored and ignore him,  next day,  when you pray to him with so much earnestness,  His grace comes only based on your prayer at that very moment.  Arunachala never interferes with what the ego may do the next moment.  Ego may sometimes misuse His grace in the very next moment but Arunachala never interferes.  He has given us seemingly absolute free-will.

I think you are very safe because you worship Arunachala along with your Guru Ramana.  In that case,  even if Arunachala ignores your next moment state of mind,  Guru never foresakes your next minute probability, so He makes sure you don't pray to Arunachala for selfish end.

You means not only you,  in the general sense.  That is why I always feel,  don't go to Arunachala alone, instead take your Guru in your Heart and go,  incase you err,  Guru will make sure that wrong prayer is not answered.

But I think I have to add this as well:  when somebody understands this trick of Arunachala as not to interfere in our desiring tendency,  if such a person puts a safe disclaimer prayer to Arunachala saying "  you please take care of my next moment probability of going astray and make me go in the correct path",  when someone makes such a prayer ,then Father Arunachala takes care of even this.  It is something like this, unless we clearly ask what we really need out of Him, he will never impose anything to us.

But Guru is something very different,  for he will forcibly enter our private and innnermost quarters and starts stirring up things there.  Guru is very fond of increasing your agony and confusions and along with that he will pull down all our evil vasanas like pulling it by our head hair.

Guru is not comitted to non violence as Sri Nisarghadatta Maharaj told.

My Guru is in Arunachala,  I longed for Her darshan for one full year,  finally she did give a darshan on Her birthday but afterwards ordered me not to come anymore for darshan. 

When I went first time to Her,  I completely decided to accept whatever She does so this decision was seen by me only in the positive sense.

I visit Arunachala regularly but now I go only to Ramasramam, temple,  caves and other sacred places of interest.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:35:44 AM by ksksat27 »

Balaji

• View Profile
Dear ksksat27

very nice post
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

ksksat27

• View Profile
Dear ksksat27

very nice post

You are welcome Balaji. Best wishes. 

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Dear Krishna,
Someone else on this forum thought I still lived in Mumbai and informed that there is  also the supremely holy place Shirdi graced by the holy feet of Sai BAba.
I think you are being doubly blessed by first still being given the oppurtunity of visiting Arunachala once a year but now also being blessed by the proximity and consequently ability to visit Shirdi where another Mahan lived and whose eternal vibrant presence still lends auspiciousness to that blessed place.
Finally of course, like every one here and else where sooner or later you will have to finally come to Arunachala and abide there permanently .(either physically  or figuratively i.e abide in Brahman.).
regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

atmavichar100

• View Profile
There is a saying "God's delays are not God's denials " . So in case u are unable to visit Arunachala or any other holy spot , just accept the fact that waiting time is more to make you ripe as Graham said .

For those who are unable to visit Arunachala /Ramana Ashram the next best is to be in some form of Satsang with Arunachala / Bhagwan devotees in your area and if there is no such satsang taking place in your area better start a simple satsang at your own home /apartment keeping the picture of Bhagwan and Arunachala and start chanting daily Aksha Mana Malai and other select hymns at a select particular time and if u cant do it daily do it weekly once at a particular time in weekend  .

All the hyms written by Bhagwan on Arunachala are full of grace and we can make best use of it wherever we are by chanting the same with devotion .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha