Author Topic: Wisdom of the Overself by Paul Brunton?  (Read 2939 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Wisdom of the Overself by Paul Brunton?
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
Namaste to All,

I would like to know what you think about the book titled The Wisdom of the Overself by Paul Brunton? Would you recommend it for reading or not? What are your insights? Does its content agree with Ramana's teaching?

Thank you for your kind answers.

Arunachala Ramana

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Re: Wisdom of the Overself by Paul Brunton?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
Nobody knows and/or has read this book? Hm... :)

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »

Dear Kicsi108,

I saw that book in the forum mall bangalore.........well, you can read it,  it has nothing to do with Sri Ramana's teachings

after all there are so many books around by many vedantic philosophers...............

you can read for some curiosity.........it is certainly better than reading a mundane romance novel or a detective novel

in that way whenever you get bored in your sadhana,  it is better to read spiritual books to keep yourself not bored and also to avoid TV and other wordly magazines.

So that way go ahead,  but don't take to your heart anything and everything written by philosophers especially.

Just move on.

You don't lose by reading.  If you suppress  your curiosity,  it will lead to more excitement only.

He has also written Search in Secret Egypt.

Infact Paul Brunton was among the very rare ones who were allowed to meditate in midnight near the Pyramids.  It is believed that if one has many low level carnal and other desires,  meditating there at night will prove fatal to one

This Paul Brunton meditated the whole night in the pyramids.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »

Dear Kicsi108,

I saw that book in the forum mall bangalore.........well, you can read it,  it has nothing to do with Sri Ramana's teachings

after all there are so many books around by many vedantic philosophers...............

you can read for some curiosity.........it is certainly better than reading a mundane romance novel or a detective novel

in that way whenever you get bored in your sadhana,  it is better to read spiritual books to keep yourself not bored and also to avoid TV and other wordly magazines.

So that way go ahead,  but don't take to your heart anything and everything written by philosophers especially.

Just move on.

You don't lose by reading.  If you suppress  your curiosity,  it will lead to more excitement only.

He has also written Search in Secret Egypt.

Infact Paul Brunton was among the very rare ones who were allowed to meditate in midnight near the Pyramids.  It is believed that if one has many low level carnal and other desires,  meditating there at night will prove fatal to one

This Paul Brunton meditated the whole night in the pyramids.

Dear ksksat27,

As far as I know Brunton was a devotee/discipline of Ramana Maharshi so he is not simply one of the western philosophers - that's why I ask about the relation between the content of the book and Ramana's teaching.

:)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
Dear Kicsi108,

I dont know about that book,never read it. I have similar dilema on one book i recently got like present,by the name "Life with Hymalian Masters" ,and i never heard about that autor too. I dont want to read just anything,coz i dont want to fill myself with unnecessary informations,so i decided just to take a glimpse,then i will see . You can also try and see with that particular book. Although,Paul's books are generaly accepted by some,and by some criticized. I dont remember where i have read those critics,but they made a parallel betwean Bhagavan teaching and Paul's seeing of it. But i dont know much about him myself,so i cant tell. So best to see for Yourself. Or You can google reviews and critics on it,just to know more about it.

With love and prayers,

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
Namaste to All,

Thank you for your answers so far.
I have read this book once. It made me calm, peaceful and helped me through hard times...
I think about reading it again.

But now I wish to compare it with Ramana's teaching knowing that Brunton was a discipline of Ramana so to say.

I am just also interested in others' opinion about it as no one has read this book in my environment/among my friends. So I have nobody to discuss it with.

Arunachala Shiva

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
Namaste to All,

Thank you for your answers so far.
I have read this book once. It made me calm, peaceful and helped me through hard times...
I think about reading it again.

But now I wish to compare it with Ramana's teaching knowing that Brunton was a discipline of Ramana so to say.

I am just also interested in others' opinion about it as no one has read this book in my environment/among my friends. So I have nobody to discuss it with.

Arunachala Shiva

Dear Kicsi

I have never fully read that Overself book,  but Brunton Paul is not really a disciple of Sri Ramana.

Paul Brunton was a wanderer in true quest of spirituality.  But he did not followed Ramana Maharishee to the full extent.

Because of Paul Brunton's genuine search for Knowledge,  he went into Samadhi in Maharishee's presence and that is all he desribed in Search in Secret India book.

Otherwise,  Paul Brunton borrowed many teachings from many teachers.

One cannot really keep his lines as authentic teachings of Maharishee.

Better you can turn to someone who spent lot of time with Mahrishee or you can turn towards Robert Adams or Australian Mouni Sadhu for Maharishee's teachings.

But you can continue to read Brunton for peace of mind.  But Paul Brunton never resonates Maharishee's teachings.