Author Topic: The bliss of nonduality  (Read 1018 times)

silence

• View Profile
The bliss of nonduality
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
Living in this world - and in this body - the only bliss we know is that of a dual nature. Is it possible at all to taste nondual bliss once in a while, consciously and not as in deep sleep? The 'who am I' inquiry usually creates the subject-object division ...

jimrich

• View Profile
Re: The bliss of nonduality
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:41 AM »
Living in this world - and in this body - the only bliss we know is that of a dual nature. Is it possible at all to taste nondual bliss once in a while, consciously and not as in deep sleep? The 'who am I' inquiry usually creates the subject-object division ...
In my experience, the question "who or what am I" seems to end where my focus remains on my personal I and I do not experience Ramana's process of my mind returning to the Source.  I expect the Source to be something over there like a separate object from me.  BUT, by following A. Ramana's instructions to move into or enter the Awareness PRIOR to the personal I or mind, I find myself in and as a wondrous condition or space of selfless bliss which I felt was a kind of NOTHING or VOID or whatever this might feel like to anyone entering it.  I am also aware that semantics can mess up the descriptions of such wondrous states so this is my own experience of it for now.  As taught by A. Ramana, I determined to stay in and as that NOTHINGNESS (Awareness) and remain free of my egoic mind and it's wanderings for as long as possible.  This last experience of the NOTHINGNESS lasted for a few days but has mostly left me back in my customary egoic self but with the solid and unforgettable "taste" of life in the Emptiness/Void/Nothing and the peace that is there so, now, I try to recall that "state" as much as possible since I now know that it is my own natural and fundamental state and that it's right here if and when I wish to return to it or stay in it.  As Ramana said in a video: "Tell, me how you DON'T stay there?"
One problem I have noticed about speaking or writing of these things is the difficulty of finding adequate words to say what I am feeling and experiencing and that my experiences may not match anybody else's.  In an AHAM video,  a girl says she gets "stuck" when trying to move prior to her "I" thought.  Based on my current understanding and experience,  I'd say she gets CONFUSED by the fact that there is NOTHING prior to her "I" thought but she is expecting to find "something" there like she finds in the manifestation so she may be afraid to enter the Nothingness or unwilling to let go of her familiar "I" identity to enter a Void or Emptiness prior to it.  Ramana tries to explain that there is Nothing prior to the "I" thought but I don't believe he does a very good job of it because the "stuck" girl doesn't go there and seems as confused and perhaps frightened as ever.  IMO, Ramana suffers from an inability to clearly describe and articulate the experience of moving from an "I" object into a Nothing or Pure Awareness so the girl is left "stuck" with her personal I not understanding that the next move will be into a Nothingness or Pure Awareness WITHOUT an personal I.  Well, that's been my experience so far.