Author Topic: Direction in life.  (Read 9350 times)

mcozire

• View Profile
Direction in life.
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Hi there everyone!

Been a little while since I have posted anything. I hope you are all doing well. :)

I was just wondering a little about how to know what direction to take in life. I am currently un-employed, though financially secure at the moment, and I know this is no doubt grace indeed. However I have this feeling that I am just sitting around sometimes that I can't shake, all though I am spending most of my time as focusing on the 'I am' presence and being as sri nisargadatta maharaj recommends. I find this very fruitful indeed. I also try my best to self inquire any time I begin to travel down thought waves.

However I am in a relationship at the moment, and I feel that it is also part of grace and is an integral part of my spiritual journey, do you think that this may be true? I know Ramakrishna speaks of 'women and gold' but I feel that the peculiarities and situations that you come across in relationships tend to bring out your ego into the light, allowing for you to become more aware of it.

I must admit though that if I were not in a relationship I would probably leave my belongings and current life behind and travel to find my guru. However this doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

So I guess my question is, how to operate in the world but while still being on the path, for instance I feel that if resolve to do something that it is a desire, and I am well aware now of the implications of desire on the path to freedom. But without a desire to do something, how will I know what it is that I am meant to do in my life?

I feel something is telling me to become good at piano and learn to read music and compose music, but this is a desire no? ( I have been playing the piano for many years, but never fully commited myself to it.)

Ultimately my heart, and mind is set on truth, this I know. I may not be the most active person on this path, but I know there is no other 'higher' thing in my life.

I hope I am making some sense here.

Thank  you so much for your time.

God bless!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Direction in life.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
Dear mcozire,

There is nothing wrong in getting married to a girl.  All the citizens of the world cannot live a celibate life.  It is also not
God's intention.  But you should get married to that girl and live a lawfully wedded life.  Then you can proceed with your
Sadhana. Again God's grace will be there that your future wife will not be a hindrance to your Sadhana, What Sri
Ramakrishna meant was to desist from undue desire for money/gold and women.  He did not object to a married life.

Arunachala Siva.     

mcozire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:45:27 PM »
Thanks Subramanian.R for your reply. I am glad to hear your reply in relation to my current relationships.

Do you have any thought on my question relating to what I should be 'doing'?

So I guess my question is, how to operate in the world but while still being on the path, for instance I feel that if resolve to do something that it is a desire, and I am well aware now of the implications of desire on the path to freedom. But without a desire to do something, how will I know what it is that I am meant to do in my life?

Thanks for your time!
God bless.

P.s I just realised this topic may be better placed in the 'General Discussion' forum.

Thanks again.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
Dear mcoziire,

There is nothing wrong in being married and doing sadhana simultaneously.  Many many Bhagavan's devotees were all
married and they did self inquiry and successfully too.  G.V. Subbaramiah, Kavuakanta Ganapati Muni, Mr. and Mrs. MacIver
N.R. Krishna murti Iyer were all married people. Householdership need not be an obstruction for Sadhana.  Hence do not have any qualms about married life.  But you must be lawfully married and should not be with a 'stay in' partner.  That is not in the scheme of things.
Path is open to all. Grace is open to all.

Arunachala Siva.

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »

I believe mcozire's question is about pursuing professions, having professional goals.

We have been given an instrument (body, mind, intellect) that has certain strengths which have to be put to use. "Nature" makes you good in something.. what that is, only you will know. To put that instrument to use is not wrong. What is advised against is attachment to the results, sense of doership, etc. If you can take up a profession suitable to your nature and perform in a self-less manner with no attachment to results, that will be the best outcome.

For example, Gandhi felt that "nature" made him a lawyer,  but he was able to convert his skills into selfless action for his entire life.

Bhagawan said you cannot stop yourself from doing something if you are meant to do it. You cannot do something also if you are not meant to do it.

Hope this helps. I am grappling with same question as I am looking for a new job as well.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
Dear mcozire

I believe this to be your prayer for the question you have posted:

"A lover of God prays to the Divine Mother: 'O Mother, I am very much afraid of selfish actions. Such actions
have desires behind them, and if I perform them I shall have to reap their fruit. But it is very difficult to work
in a detached spirit. I shall certainly forget Thee, O Mother, if I involve myself in selfish actions. Therefore I
have no use for them. May my actions, O Divine Mother, be fewer every day till I attain Thee. May I perform,
without attachment to the results, only what action is absolutely necessary for me. May I have great love for
Thee as I go on with my few duties. May I not entangle myself in new work so long as I do not realize Thee.
But I shall perform it if I receive Thy command. Otherwise not.' "

(The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna)

Harih Om!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
Thanks Subramanian.R for your reply. I am glad to hear your reply in relation to my current relationships.

Do you have any thought on my question relating to what I should be 'doing'?

Thanks for your time!
God bless.

P.s I just realised this topic may be better placed in the 'General Discussion' forum.

Thanks again.

Dear mcozire ,

I am a co-traveller like you still not realized ,  worse having many lowest of the desires.

But please remember one thing --   you cannot sail on the two boats at the same time.

I have found this after a long search --   your sadhana includes your whole life,  not just the sitting time in meditation.

What I mean is,  this I am meditation you are doing,  if you are even a bit earnest,  not even fully earnest,  if you have atleast some intenstiy with which you are doing this,  what will happen is this:

this I am meditation will start penetrating in every aspect of your life.  It is like a Divine Poison.  It will not leave you alone,  whatever Piano or Profession you do or whoever you marry.

This I am meditation which you do in your leisure time,   will start mixing up in all  your day to day activities,  quite unvolunatrily.

You have no choice,  this I am meditation will chase you. 

Whether you marry that giril or you abandon her  or you just live in a relationship only --  it does not matter.  Whatever choice you make,  this I am meditation will come and stand before you only to target your innermost vasanas.

Let me tell you This sadhana itself has no mercy towards your old mental habits and vasanas.  It will forcibly go into your deepets quarters and start stirring things and start burning things.

One may even go mad in this pursuit --  but I am meditation never cares.   

You have consumed poison the Divine Poison .  You give it the name Amruth --  but in worldy sense it is verily poison.

Don't worry --  do whatever you feel like doing.    In the end, whateve you are going to do will be consumed by this I am meditation.

Probably I have only one request to you --  do this I am meditation as long as possible,  as vigorously as possible.   

Suppose you feel suddenly very much excited in senses and full of thoughts of your lover --  you will think you cannot practice I am meditation in that state.  Because you think you are under the spell of your desire and hence you conclude you cannot practice I am meditation.

But you know what --  your I am meditation is all the more waiting for your call only in those moments.  Even if you are not going to do volunatrily this I am meditation while you are occupied with your lover's thoughts,  this I am meditation will pounce upon you and one day interfere in your innermost quarters of privacy.

So better you co-operate --  you make this I am meditation as frequently and as intensely as possible.  That will make things easier.

Om Tat Sat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:31:36 AM by ksksat27 »

mcozire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
Dear ksksat27.

Thank you so much for this, it makes so much sense!

I have begun to notice that at times where my mind would begin to start 'getting me down' or start to go off down a chain of thoughts, something else pulls me into the 'I AM' place without even trying. So I think your just after throwing on a switch in me that made me realise, actually yea, I think the I AM meditation has begun its own momentum outside of 'me', in that I find I am just going into it a lot more spontaneously. Like you say 'It will not leave you alone' I am so glad to understand this now, and like it said it makes so much sense!

Because I know my prayers have been sincere, and my seeking is sincere, and my heart is pointed in that direction for sure. I guess my problem was that, if I begin to do something 'worldly' will all this be forgotten, but after reading this, and reflecting on where the 'I AM' meditation is in my life, I think it's beyond forgetting, in so much as that I don't think it even belongs in the place of remembering or forgetting in my life now.

Thinking of this while I right, I believe the core of my problem would actually be faith! Wow this has been an eye opener! Thank you so very much ksksat27!

God bless!
Thank you, thank you.

mcozire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
Hi deepa and Nagaraj, sorry I did not see your replies there at firat.

Thank you so much for this lovely prayer Nagaraj.

Thank you so much for your help deepa also, what you speak of resonates with me indeed. Thank you for the information on Ghandi, it is a lovely way of understanding things, I pray that when and if I do become skilled at something, that I can use it for the good of all things.

Many thanks again to everyone.
God bless.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »
Dear mcozire,

very nice to see that what I have written is useful.
All the best.

I have lot more to share on slipping down and getting up during sadhana,  but I want to postpone writing about that theme until I apply it full to myself.

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »

Mcozire,
I just finished reading "Gandhi the man" by eknath easwaran. As opposed to renunciate gnanis like Bhagwan, Gandhi shows how to be a gnani while active in political and social life. That was his prarabdha and his inherent nature was to do what he did. But with what attitude he did it is our lesson to take.

He internalized the Geetha and lived it in his life as a integrated whole. As ksksatji says, you cannot ride two boats. Gandhi also says his life is one integrated whole, not split into politics, social reform, family life, health, etc.

Pls read this book, if possible. As eknath easwaran brings out each facet of Gandhi and showcases it against Geetha verses. It is $5.99 on kindle.
Deepa

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

Mcozire,
I just finished reading "Gandhi the man" by eknath easwaran. As opposed to renunciate gnanis like Bhagwan, Gandhi shows how to be a gnani while active in political and social life. That was his prarabdha and his inherent nature was to do what he did. But with what attitude he did it is our lesson to take.

He internalized the Geetha and lived it in his life as a integrated whole. As ksksatji says, you cannot ride two boats. Gandhi also says his life is one integrated whole, not split into politics, social reform, family life, health, etc.

Pls read this book, if possible. As eknath easwaran brings out each facet of Gandhi and showcases it against Geetha verses. It is $5.99 on kindle.
Deepa

Dear Deepa

Thanks for your reply.  I don't mean to hurt your feelings.

But I take liberty to interfere in other's corridors like this:

I cannot really accept Gandhi as  a jnani and even more the acknowledgement for Eaknath Easwaran.

Gandhi was very good freedom fighter ,  great Father of our nation and also had many sattvic qualities.

All these are very good achievements --  but he was not a jnani.  His field was only politics.  His life was not really integrated like he claims.

He was mainly focussed on social reforms,  politics and freedom movement.  He had very strong vasanas and did all these great things.

He is not liberated.  Someone really very serious in spiritual field must find a good spirtual saint who had dedicated his life soely to God and then follow his teachings.

Otherwise,  if we mix up all personalities and start following anybody and everybody, it will lead us nowhere.

Spiritual field is not a easy joke.   

First one must realize.  That is first step.  Then next step is one must have the imbibed authority from Ishwara to Preach and act as Guru.  This second step is still more vigorous.  Not everybody gets it.

In this forum,  we speak of Ramana Maharishee.  We speak of Ramakrsihna Paramahamsa.  We speak of even other religoius saints like Christ Jesus.  Like Buddha.
We speak of Sarada devi .  We speak of Andaal or Meera Bhai. 

Know why?  Because they had both the two steps I had quoted above transcended. 

And this type of over uplifiting and over liberalizing to elate the famous personalities to the highest stage of jnanitvam is nothing but mere flattery.  We are carried away by our emotions and so go to these leaders ,  chase them vehemently and put a garland of self realization.

Someone may ask here -- Bhagavan had Gandhi's photo in his room.   That does not mean anything.   Just like one has the photo of the great national leader,  even Bhagavan's ashram had to have it. 

Britishers or Indians --  great jnanis like Bhagavan and Sarada devi never interfered on one side.

Once when someone asked Sarada devi to curse Britishers using her power, She immediately declined such a bad idea severely condemning it. 

All people are jnani's children.

It was not the case with Gandhi or Nelson Mandela. 

Tomorrow someone may come and say Nehruji was  a jnani.  Then will follow Smt.  Indira Gandhi as a jnani and then (I don't want to continue that thread to the end  :).  It will look so absurd.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:47:44 AM by ksksat27 »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

just for some food for contemplation... :)

Do you regard Lord Rama as a Jnani? Leave aside the other Ramayanas including the Adhyatma Ramayana that proclaim him as an avatar and so on. In reality, as narrated by Valimiki, the character of Rama and his life necessarily does not appear to make him a Jnani. If one deeply looks into the core of his character, Rama has all the great virtues which is very well known, at the same time, he also inherited similar qualities of his father Dasaratha, little fickleness, emotional, and so on.

One had you will see Rama outpouring great expressions of Jnana and Brahmana, absolute Atma Rasa, immediately in the same time, you will see Rama exactly opposite to what he had just said some time back, wailing and craying and deeply immersed in pain of separation from his family, the hard order of his Mother Kaikeyi and so on. One had he praises Kaikeyi and you will find on the other hand crying for what she had done. One had Rama praises his father and on other hand you will find him wailing and pained deeply for his fathers fickleness.

It is not simply that stalwart Sages like Vishwamitra, Vasishta, Bharadwaja, Valimiki was clean bowled over, he was so puzzled at this Param Porul Rama, he could not grasp Rama, set out to compose Ramayana and other were attracted and were so eager to be in the presence of Rama. Infact, if one closely observes, one can recognise, how Rama stumps even these stalwarts as well, who are bewildered by Rama, as he is absolutely unpredictable! After Rama comes back, after his pattabhishekam etc... Rama sends of Sita to forest, infact if one reads Uttara Ramayana one cannot but feel how Rama could be so bad, and fickle minded, he sends Lakshmana to drop off Sita hald way in forest, when he performs ashwamedha yajna, he does not invite Valimiki, or Sita. there are plenty to quote.

Brahman cannot be grasped, Jnani cannot be grasped by his actions. As Bhagavan says there is no Jnani but only Jnanam

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
Nagaraj garu - Perfectly on spot - as always...

---
Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Nice post.  Sri Bhagavan never cried or even shed two tears for His mother.  Of  course, she had merged in Arunachala.
But when Chellammal brought her grandson, when her foster daughter passed away during delivery, and placed the child
on Sri Bhagavan's lap, Sri Bhagavan cried bitterly.  Who can fathom a Jnani, his mind (of course, Bhagavan had no mind),
and his deeds?

Arunachala Siva.