Author Topic: Will knowledge liberate?  (Read 1440 times)

silence

• View Profile
Will knowledge liberate?
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
Let us say a person believes that the world is an illusion and brahman alone is real. Let's also say this knowledge does not help him overcome certain human weaknesses (like losing one's temper, envy, sloth etc), and his life goes on as usual. Will he still be liberated by his knowledge, or must he purify himself, rid himself of all vices, and only then will he be liberated?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Will knowledge liberate?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »

Dear silence,

Knowledge that the world is illusion will alone not do. One should practice Atma Vicharam and realize the Self which is Knowledge.
This Knowledge will liberate one. While practicing Atma Vicharam, the dirt of the mind (lust, greed, etc.,) will automatically vanish.
Or, unless one's mind is pure one cannot succeed in Atma Vicharam.

Arunachala Siva.   

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »
Others have replied well. To add, When you know a post is a ghost when someone tells you or you read somewhere - certainly the fear will not go away. But now that you know it "may be" a post - you start slowly moving towards it with a stick in hand, a gun or whatever for self protection in case it turns out to be a ghost and not a post. Then you take couple of steps - you find it is still not reacting to you approaching. You hold the gun tighter and move a little more towards post... you gain confidence... then you loosen the gun... move little more... gain confidence... ready to put the gun in pocket... move a little more... gain confidence.. and finally "realize" it is a post and then you throw away all guns and sticks and embrace post. See this situation yourself. The knowledge that post is ghost will never save you here in above actual scenario. Right?

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
Very true. This is not mine :) - My most respected guru late Prof. G. Balakrishnan nair - a vedanta stalwart. This is his example... So please feel free :) as I only translated from Malayalam to English.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

silence

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
Dear Friends,

Thanks. What I mean is, as long as we are in the body we are subject to certain things like hunger etc. We may have brahma jnana but that will not get rid of our hunger, thirst, and things pertaining to the body. So until videha mukti is attained, isn't it true that even a jnani has to pretty much do the things that ajnanis do? That's why I am wondering whether jnanis too will be forced - because of the body - to be hateful or envious etc. Not because they want to, but because enlightened as they are, they are still in the body.

Thanks,
Silence

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:35:41 PM »
Dear Silence,

I believe that Jnani cannot by any means be subject to hate or envy,for the simple reason there is no ego anymore. Because,they are states of mind. Jnani can only be subject to some happenings in life,some events He need to go through. But even that is only from our point of view. He is above all that,but what is ment for body to fullfill,it will go through that. And He will certainly act in unique and individual way.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:53:40 PM by Jewell »