Author Topic: not authentic really  (Read 1744 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
not authentic really
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
Disclaimer:  this is real relative and real incident .    I stored this in draft some 5 months ago.  now posting the same.   Mr.  Udai -- please dont think this is referrng to you. No,  never. 

Recently a distant relative of mine in his 40s called me.

He has been learning about my spiritual inclinations through the gossip circle of
my relatives.

so he called me.

He is very interested in sanskrit literature,  adhi shankaras work etc.

In few of the email exchanges,  I mentioned about Maharishee and few other jnanis.

Seems he is not very impressed on any modern day saints. 
Somehow due to His luck,  our Maharishee fell under traditional saints in view of our gentleman.

He quoted few lines from who am i and asked me what is the meaning, do you really understand the essence etc..

Before I started to reply anything,  he started giving some tamil grammatical explanation on who am i.

Next item was some sanskrit work related to Adhi Shankara. 

He nicely explained meaning of few verses.

He asked me then and there,  what is this signifying etc.

and then started to speak about Thiruvasagam.

He told,  we should always refer original works for the clear cut meaning (crytal clear meaning)

I dont see anything wrong on that.

Our guest seems do not believe in this experience of Self and its expression by our contemporary saints.

Everything is authentic Adhi Shankara work that appeals the guest.

He seems not to encourage any other book --  modern day books explaining who am i.

Authenticity is important right ?

I opened my mouth on this Power of Presence or Be As You are or Sannidhi Murai but slowly
swallowed my words.

Anything making sense about this 'I am that' or Living by the words of Bhagavan?

Authentic works dating back to Rig veda and Upanishads ??  No they are  not.

Any clue on Seshadhri Swami ?  What about this Sri Nisarghadatta Maharaj or Papaji or Annamalai Swami?  Never in their realm. 

Not Authentic cuisine .  what to do?  they want karika, theeka only.  nothing less than that.

Anything like Guru Bhakthi or Guru Upadesa? 
May be that ended with Dakshinamurthy sthothram alone.

I understood --  nothing really need to be discussed between us.

We were seemingly alinged to outside world --  but i am in one shore and my guest in another shore.

I dont feel like talking again.

I dont want to criticize others.

These are people who count on your status in society,  your health and wealth and literary scholarship
Your education and the brand US you bring with your profession.

Along with all your material success, if you quote from scriptures nicely ,  you are there! 
Advaita and Upanishads alone.

High class Advaita!! 

Now the feedback about me may be circling around --  i spoke to him,  huhum ,  not upto the mark in philosophy also...  Because I did not verses from Brahma Sutra Bhashyam. 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: not authentic really
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
Krishna

Very true. In fact 99% fall in this category - literary appreciation. All I can tell them is the first sloka from Bhaja Govindam as "Samprapthe Sannihithe Kale... Nahi Nahi Rakshathi Dugrinji Karane"... This is exact dugrinji karane that Adi Shankara referred in my opinion. I know many in my relative circles too who start dissecting and explaning to me the literature and literary stuff behind great text. As I posted elsewhere, I am sure some day they will learn lakshyartha and not vachyartha.

There are three types of sadhakas that Nochur referred in some talk. First category, you listen and sleep, you have no inclination. Second, you understand vachyartha. Third, you understand lakshyartha.

Story - Great Kerala jnani poonthanam (a sanskrit illiterate) used to sing Vishnu Sahasranama in Guruvayoor temple with tears flowing thru his eyes (he knows no sanskrit). Great sanskri scholar Melpathoor heard this and ridiculed poonthanam referring to a word pronunciation in sahasranama "What an illiterate man. It should be told "amara prabhu" and not "mara prabhu" (lord of trees) and asked why they allow such people to sing inside temple. Suddenly a voice came from inside sanctum sanctoram - "No, Melpathoor. You are wrong. I am also mara-prabhu. Who else you think will be mara prabhu" and the voice also said - "I like poonthanam's sahasranama the best among all". Then Melpathoor fell on poonthanams feet.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »
Krishna

Very true. In fact 99% fall in this category - literary appreciation. All I can tell them is the first sloka from Bhaja Govindam as "Samprapthe Sannihithe Kale... Nahi Nahi Rakshathi Dugrinji Karane"... This is exact dugrinji karane that Adi Shankara referred in my opinion. I know many in my relative circles too who start dissecting and explaning to me the literature and literary stuff behind great text. As I posted elsewhere, I am sure some day they will learn lakshyartha and not vachyartha.

There are three types of sadhakas that Nochur referred in some talk. First category, you listen and sleep, you have no inclination. Second, you understand vachyartha. Third, you understand lakshyartha.

Story - Great Kerala jnani poonthanam (a sanskrit illiterate) used to sing Vishnu Sahasranama in Guruvayoor temple with tears flowing thru his eyes (he knows no sanskrit). Great sanskri scholar Melpathoor heard this and ridiculed poonthanam referring to a word pronunciation in sahasranama "What an illiterate man. It should be told "amara prabhu" and not "mara prabhu" (lord of trees) and asked why they allow such people to sing inside temple. Suddenly a voice came from inside sanctum sanctoram - "No, Melpathoor. You are wrong. I am also mara-prabhu. Who else you think will be mara prabhu" and the voice also said - "I like poonthanam's sahasranama the best among all". Then Melpathoor fell on poonthanams feet.

Sanjay

that is very true Sanjay. Thankyou.  Sri Sankara not only meant grammar but all this also.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
On a light note - see how gracious that Supreme Self is. People use it as per their wish. Not even once it objects :) - No wonder all religions call it by names "Ocean of love", "Infinite kindness" etc.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan