Author Topic: Need Of Guru - Neo Advaita  (Read 1387 times)

mcozire

• View Profile
Need Of Guru - Neo Advaita
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
Hi there just a few questions have popped into my head recently.

The need of a Guru.
Is it possible that I have met a Guru in my previously life and have been initiated? Must there be a meeting again in this life time?

I saw in another thread that a srotriya guru is needed, that is one that knows all the scriptures correct?

But is this not compartmentalising truth?
Like does that mean that anyone that wants to be on the path towards truth have to go to the east, and find a guru?
Can not someone in America or Europe reach the 'natural state' or 'enlightenment' themselves?

Also a question on Neo-Advaita. In the last couple of years I have been follow Mooji.
I find a lot of his satsangs have gotten me to where I am with my understanding of everything, his pointing seems very direct.

Do you think that if I went to see him, I would receiving true grace from him?

I guess the best way to do this would be to go and see him.

Hope you can shed some light on these questions.

Thank you.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Need Of Guru - Neo Advaita
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »
Dear mocozire,

1. It is possible.

2. Stotriyam need not mean reading scriptures burning mid night oil. For some sastraic knowledge can come in born.
eg. jnana Sambandhar.

3. Neo advaita is not a correct system. Many westerners just meet in Satsanghs and then feel they are realized. Their
sadhana is almost nil.

4. Yes, from anywher in the world, a person understanding Sri Bhagavan's teachings and does prayoham  i.e. intense practice
can attain self realization.  e.g. Woler Kiers.     

5. Sri Bhagavan's teaching is universal. No need to change your religion or present faith. Because Atma is same for everyone,
even animals and birds.

Arunachala Siva. 

mcozire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
Great thanks!

A little bit more on the youtube teachers of enlightenment.

People like Eckhart Tolle and Adyashanti.

They seem to be talking a lot of sense in relation to the ego, and the non-dual awareness.
In fact 'The Power Of Now' was the first book I ever read on all this, and at first I was like what is all this about at all.. now some 5 years later I am reading it again going.. ahh yes I see..

Is there a chance that some of these people are genuinely self realised, and are trying to point the way?

How does one know?

Could we be in an era where there is a mass self-realisation?

Many thanks again.

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »

Bhagawan said Guru is not the physical form.

Yasyantarnadimadhyam Na Hi Karacharanam Namagotram Na Sutram
No Jatirnaiva Varnam Na Bhavati Purusho No Napumsam Na Cha Stri,
Nakaram No Vikaram Na Hi Janimaranam Nasti Punyam Na Papam
Tattvam No Tatvamekam Sahajasamarasam Sad Gurum Tam Namami.

Here is a incomplete translation (with my limited knowledge of Samskrit)
(The One who does not have beginning, middle, end, neither hands or legs, no name, belongs to no gothra(clan), caste, class, neither male, female nor neuter, no blemish/change, neither born nor dead, neither a sinless one nor sinful. To this, pure Guru thathwa (the essence "Guru"), I bow)

When you continue with your sadhana, shravanam, mananam and develop thirst for knowledge/realization (jignasa/mumukshutvam), the guru will appear or attract you to him/her as a physical form or will become a intense "guru thathvam" inside you and will be your inspiration and guidance. Which is why Bhagawan is guru for many of us thought we have never seen his physical form. Or your purity will make you imbibe correctly from many gurus around you.

I will pass on the question about "srotriya", but my bias is that it is required (though not necessarily in Sanskrit). My belief is even with Bhagawan, Jnana sambandar, Adi Shankara, there were learning from previous births.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
Hi there just a few questions have popped into my head recently.

The need of a Guru.
Is it possible that I have met a Guru in my previously life and have been initiated? Must there be a meeting again in this life time?

I saw in another thread that a srotriya guru is needed, that is one that knows all the scriptures correct?

But is this not compartmentalising truth?
Like does that mean that anyone that wants to be on the path towards truth have to go to the east, and find a guru?
Can not someone in America or Europe reach the 'natural state' or 'enlightenment' themselves?

Also a question on Neo-Advaita. In the last couple of years I have been follow Mooji.
I find a lot of his satsangs have gotten me to where I am with my understanding of everything, his pointing seems very direct.

Do you think that if I went to see him, I would receiving true grace from him?

I guess the best way to do this would be to go and see him.

Hope you can shed some light on these questions.

Thank you.

Dear mcozire ,

Guru is absolutely necessary.   If not a living Master,  one should find out for himself another past Guru who had attained maha nirvana and start takig his guidance through books etc.

East or West , North or South --  getting a guidance of Master is very essential.  we cannot get enlightened ourselves.

regarding visiting Mooji,  please follow what your inner-most Heart says.

Nobody here can know about your Guru.   Only you can know --  only faith can lead you there.  Nothing else.   If you trust Mooji,  that is a very good sign,  go ahead.  Dont stop.  If you dont trust,  well,  then you have to sit and restrospect and arrive at a conclusion.  Both are not wrong,  you are still not decided.  But once you have chosne him as your Guru,  shut all your doors and opinions and just focus on Him alone.  All the best.