Author Topic: Sri Ramana as viewed and read among my elders  (Read 783 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Sri Ramana as viewed and read among my elders
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »
Actually Sri Ramana Maharishee came to my life right during my 8th standard time period when a serial about him was broadcast in DoorDarshan channel.

When I first heard the term Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee,  it was an advertisement to the series of episodes to be broadcast.

My mother did a good job of introducing Maharishee with a less known history even still among Ramana devotees  (V Ramanan and Nochur has referred to this anectode)

My mother told about an incident that happened well before the death experience in madurai.

What my mother told was,  Maharishee was a school boy when he went to school and his father died.

When he saw everybody crying,  he asked ,  appa irukaale -- father is here,  why are you all crying?  this incident made a deep impact on his life and he later became a great yogi by contemplating on this subject.

In current full fledged devotion to Sri Ramana,  I was surprised that his father's death itself was a starting factor where Maharishee had the intution and deep insight to think along the lines of body & death even before the death experience.  But I doubted that version until recently when Nochur referred to this in his talks and also V Ramanan has mentioned about this in a foreword to one of the books.

So  that time,  in this serial,  this same who am i or naan yaar phrase came but I missed it by a major slip.

Being a child interested in miracles and mythology,  I thought naan yaar is an exercise one can use to find out one's past history and past births  (who am i --  i related to who i was in previous births,  why i have come now etc.)

Now let us see how my grand-mother who is now 83 views Ramana.

My great grand-mother and my grand-mother used to read about Sri Ramana through some old magazine that came just after his post nirvana ( I forgot the name --  i will ask my grand mother if she remembers what was the magazine name)

So my great grand-mother,  her aunt and a group of orthodox tamil brahmin paattis(women old elders are called paattis),  they used to dress with a saintly saree robes covering their shaven head.

In their own rights,  they were very pious and did lot of japa,  pilgrimage and intense austerities.

Seems my great grand-mother and her aunt once visited Kanchi Maha Periayava and even had a glimpse of samadhi experience.  Unfortunately,  they did not know any terms like Brahman or Samadhi etc.

So both of them came to the house and described it like 'a fearful pulling force was felt by them in the presence of Kanchi Shankaracharya'.  They described it as an experience so forceful that is surrounding Kanchi Shankaracharya due to his intesne tapas .  They took it like none is allowed to go nearer to Him due to this force.  This incident should have happend in 1935  time period when my grand mother was 6 or 7 years old.  All the other elders also took it to be a stamp of the intense tapas His holiness Shankaracharya is doing and they thought it to be like a Rudra Mood one that of Vishwamithra. 

I regret,  they did not stay with him,  got his further guidance on such happenings.
Because it is the right context where one can approach Guru and get upadesa. 

We have very big analyzing reasoning intellect and a craving for samadhi.

these people have least interest in these matters but atleast they must have some basic knowledge to correlate what they experienced.

So now let us come to Sri Ramana --  my great grand-mother seems to have heard about Him before his Nrivana period ,  but She did not go to see Him. 

They are very orthodox and they were very pious in their own rights that these type of yogis will be respected by them but they prefer to keep a distance in a bid not to disturb their tapas.

So later,  after maha nirvana,  through some magazine,  they came to know the story of the Maharishee.

But I would say, my great grand-mother and their friends,  laid more emphasis to the suffering of Azhagamma.

These group of ladies will sit around in the veranada, where one of them used to read aloud these stories.

Seeing the plight of Mother Azhagamma and her vain search,  seeing her plight later in the rigid conversation with Maharishee seems all of these ladies used to weep for Her.

But they were well short of blaming Sri Ramana,  for this type of yogic life had an mysterious respect in their minds Because they were all leading a very sattvic life and staunch faith in God & devotion,  they had that intution to understand and respect these saints.

My great grand-mother used to keep her hand in the chin wondering Sri Ramana's intense meditation in the caves as it is read out.

Only now we speak like Sri Ramana is not a yogi and use all authenticated terms.

But for them ,  they are all some 'yogis'.

So my grand-mother never got a chance to get a correct perception about Sri Ramana.

Now that I have suddenly revived her memories and introduced Sri Ramana in 2010,  my grand-mother is daily wondering about her own childhood days.

She now reads Appala Pattu,  Ozhivil Odukkam, Ramana Vijayam, Yoga Vashistam etc.  She does not understand the meaning but she reads as it is in tamil.

She now has very high regard of devotion to Sri Ramana.

But every now and then she says,  'they did not know all this when they were in that golden period'.

I have met my great grand-mother and she passed away when I was 10 years old.

She was doing a systematic japa that she had received from some elder  and followed many fastings,  pooja etc. 

She should have been a ripe soul for she and her aunt had the experience of samadhi in the presence of Kanchi Shankaracharya.

Only that both ran away thinking they had ended in a misadventure by having the darshan of Kanchi Shankaracharya.

See how innocent those souls were --  I could visualize how they would have later recollected their expereince midly teasing one another and laughing.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:58:01 PM by ksksat27 »