Author Topic: the mystery surrounding mentally retarded people  (Read 3535 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
the mystery surrounding mentally retarded people
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
A recent post kindles a deep subject which I always tried to solve and wonder.

Well,  mentally retarded people, not all fall under same category.

Rather than theory, let me quote two or three people whom I have closely interacted with:

First person:   Mr.  Sama (name changed ) from a village near cauvery banks in TRICHY.

He was born to a pious brahmin couples who were also very poor.  He is still living in that village.

He was mad atleast from the time I first saw him ,  when I was 2 years old.  That time sama was in his 20s and now in his 50s.

I dont live in that village anymore but I know his currrent condition.

This person sama is mentally ill in many aspects.

But he brought very remarkable sadhana samskaras to this world.

What he will do his,  sometimes his lips will utter some japa and his hands will be rolling as if rolling beads.

In the village,  when Rama Navami and Radha Kalyanam bhajan and utsavam takes place our Sama will actively take part.

During the anjaneya samardhana,  sama even created a tradition of his own.  He will dance on the last song sung in praise of anjaneya and at the end of the dance, the Primal Bhagavatar has to give sama a banana to bring his dance to end.

To this day,  every year he does this.

Sama has come to my father on many occasios exactly at evening time
to get vibhudhi.  MY father is very reserved and sama has chosen him because he wont scold him.

I dont know what he does with so much vibhudhi packets.

a doctor turned Bhagavatar from Vasihanava sampradaya who was also very famous in my village.  This doctor one day told sama to collect all young people and promote vishnu sahasranama parayana in perumal temple.

Know what ?  Sama picked this point very tightly.  Everytime he meet any young person he will say "Gobu doctor bhagavatar is asking all to chant vishnu sahasranamam.  Why not you all come?"

Sama has brought with him some gruesome prarabhda no doubt.

He will sometimes go to non brahminical houses in and around and beg them.  He has got strong beatings also from them.

Sama does not wear upper cloth.  A small piece of cloth on his shoulder and a dhoti with his own style of crop and vibhudhi in his forehead.

He knows all bus routes to main city Trichy and attends various bhajan programmes and lectures knowing the venues.

Sama is care free.  His house is very modest and only handful of rice available in home.

Yet sama is very free always altering between his madful acts and his bhajana/nama/satsanga sadhana.

I like talking to sama.  There will be a smile and some brahminical accent in him.  I feel a care-free bliss in talking to him.

My elders will scold me --  but I always liked to talk to him.

Sama's daily routine cannot be predicted. 
Always out on day time, he will just roam around aimlessly.

Outside sama always got humiliated.  No worries,  our sama always carries his smile.

He never enquired anything about my school,  college or later on  my job.

But sama promptly advised me on only one occasion -- after my upanayanam ,  until the next nearest avani avittam he used to tell about the gayathri homam I had to do.

Sama was sometimes called to represent one of the Vishnu Swaroopa brahmana in shraardha rituals.  Means in brahmin shardha rituals,  for the speical leaf plate made for representing Vishnu
our sama will eat on that leaf plate.  Later after his begging stunt started,  all brahmins considered him not fit anymore to preside over Vishnu leaft plate.

Sometimes he will say to me that he went to some satsang or some unjavurthi bhajan or to a temple in azahigiya manavalam village ,  this or that.

In a day of Bhrama, this life of ours is just nothing .  Not even a second.

Our sama has brought with him some karma to finish.  Brahma's ordained karma.

But sama is more than just one page of his entire book.  He must have been a great sadhak in the past.

Or could be sama is a jnanai? Just acting like a mad man?  What is the secret behind him that makes him so care free?  food is there,  shelter and clothing.

No worries,  just go wherever satsan takes place ,  get his stomach full and go to antoher bhajana?

Nochur frequently mentions about a malayalam mad saint and his elder brother who is a agnihothri.

This mad brother is a jnani per Nochur.

Is sama that type?  We dont know.

But Sama is something of a serious sadhaka in past lives.

Otherwise,  he cannot simply act this way.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:01:45 PM by ksksat27 »

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: the mystery surrounding mentally retarded people
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Yes - Agnihotri's brother is Naranathu Branthan (Branthan in Malayalam means mad man). He is an enlightened jnani. Tons of stories about him. All his acts are to teach people around him about Maya and Supreme Brahman. One story comes to my mind now - Branthan used to wake up in the morning at 3AM and shout loudly walking on streets waking everyone - "Did not understand... Did not understand... Did not understand". He did that for several weeks. Next day morning he started shouting same way on streets - "Understood... Understood... Understood...". People called him and asked him why he said "Did not understand" and now saying "Understood". What madness as usual of Branthan? He replied - "First I thought IT was something to be understood by brain. I could not and so I kept saying 'Did not understand'. Then I realized it is not something to be understood by brain. So I said 'Understood that it is not something to be understood'" :) and laughed.

Jada Bharatha is similar. He was a mad man and retarded man in all his young days according to everyone in his village.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
Dear sanjaya,

Now, when you say Narayananthu Brandhan, I understand.

Manasil aayilla, manasil aayilla, manasil aayilla.... he was shouting.

Then, manasil ayee, manasil ayee, manasil ayee.... he was shouting.

I first thought, I could not understand why  the Self can not  be comprehended by mind or brain but I understood , only now!

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
Yes - exactly, Subramanian sir.

Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »
Dear sanjaya,

There was one more born Jnani who appeared mad as well as dumb with unsteady eyes.  He is Hastamalaka, the youngest
disciple of Sri Adi Sankara.  Sri Bhagavan has translated the Hastamalakam in Tamizh verses.

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Hastamalaka is an amazing story too. The boy did not speak till the age of 10 or so. He only looked into Space without looking at anyone. Parents took him to all known vaidyas and all known Sidhas. No luck. When they heard Sankara is coming that way - they took him to Sankara too. Sankara looked at him and asked - "Who are you?" and the boy for the first time opened his mouth and in fluent sanskrit said to the effect that I am the Supreme Brahman !!! Parents awestruck and were glad. They said they will take him back home. Sankara said - "No. If you take him with you - he will not still talk. he is mine. Let me take him" :)

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
Dear sanjaya ganesh,

Hastamalakam:

1. 'Who are you? Whose child are you? Whither are you bound? What is your name? Whence have you come? Oh child, I should
like to hear your reply to these questions.' Thus spoke Sri Adi Sankara to the boy and Hastmalaka replied as follows:

2, I am neither man, God, Yaksha, brahmin, kshatriya, vaisya, sudra, brahmachari, householder, forest dweller, nor sannyasi.
But I am Pure Awareness alone.

3. Just as the sun causes all worldly movements, so do I --- the ever present, Conscious Self - cause the mind to be active and the senses to function.  Again, just as the ether is all pervading, yet devoid of any specific qualities, so am I free from all qualities.

4, I am the Conscious Self, ever present, and associated with everything in the same manner, as heat is always associated with fire.
I am that eternal, undifferentiated, unshaken Consciousness, on account of which the insentient mind and senses function, each in its
own manner.

5. I am that Conscious Self of whom the ego is not independent  as the image in a mirror is not independent of the object reflected.

6. I am the unqualified, conscious Self,, existing even after the extinction of buddhi, just as the object remains ever the same even
after removing of the reflecting mirror.

7.  I am eternal Consciousness, disassociated from the mind and senses. I am the mind of the mind, the eye of the eye, ear of the
ear and so on. I am not cognizable by the mind and senses.

8. I am the eternal, single, conscious Self, reflected in various intellects, just as the Sun is reflected on the surface of various sheets
of water.

9.  I am the single, Conscious Self, illumining all intellects, just as the Sun simultaneously illumines all eyes so that they perceive
the objects.

10. Only those eyes that are helped by the Sun are capable of seeing objects, not others.  The Source from which the Sun derives
its powers is myself.

11. Just as the reflection of the Sun on agitated waters seems to break up, but remains perfect on a calm surface, so also am I,
the Conscious Self, unrecognizable in agitated intellects, though I clearly shine in those who are calm.               

12. Just as a fool thinks that the Sun is entirely lost when it is hidden by dense clouds, so do people think that the ever free Self
is bound.

13. Just as ether is all pervading and unaffected by contact, so also does the ever conscious Self pervade everything without being
affected in any way. I am that Self.

14. Just as a transparent crystal  takes on the lines of its background, but in no way changed thereby, and just as the unchanging moon
on being reflected waters   on undulating surfaces appears agitated, so is it with you, the all pervading God.

15. As this Stotra reveals the Self as clearly as the amalaka fruit placed on the palm (hasta) it received the name Hastamalaka Stotra
and moreover the boy, eminent in Jnana, came to be praised by all people of this world as Hastamalaka.*

(* This was added by Sri Bhagavan in His Tamizh Verse translation.)

Eng. rendering by Arthur Osborne.

Arunachala Siva.           

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 03:53:39 AM »

What a beautiful way to look at people that are considered "mad" or mentally ill!!

I used to so touched by Kamal's character in the movie "sippikkul muthu"  (I think "swathi muthyam" in telugu). Pyschologists says there is some imbalance in the brains of such people - though it is possible that their brains are created so that they are oblivious to the distractions of the world, like Hastamalaka.

Thanks to all of you, I will have a even more special consideration for them from now.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »
Krishna,
Wonderful story of 'our friend' sama.Having satsangh with him will cure one of madness!
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Sri Ramakrishna looked steadily at Dwija.
Master: "Well, there are so many youngsters in the city; why does this boy come here? (To
M,) Tell me what you think. Certainly he has inherited some good tendencies from his
previous birth."
M: "Undoubtedly, sir."
MASTER: "There is such a thing as inborn tendencies. <i>When a man has performed many
good actions in his previous births, in the final birth he becomes guileless. In the final birth
he acts somewhat like a madcap</i>.
"To tell you the truth, everything happens by God's will. When He says 'Yea', everything
comes to pass, and when He says 'Nay', everything comes to a standstill.
"Why is it that one man should not bless another? Because nothing can happen by man's
will: things come to pass or disappear by God's will."

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Dear deepa,

Viveka Chudamani says, Some Jnanis will move around the world like madcaps and fools. Even Seshadri Swamigal was considered
mad by many. So also Vittobha Swamigal.  The author of Atma Vidya Vilasaam, Sadasiva Brahmendra, walked on the streets naked.
One Muslim sultan saw him walking on the streets where his harem was located and ladies were standing in the balcony.  He got
enraged, followed Sadasiva on a horseback, and from behind, cut off his hand. Sadasiva bent down, took the snapped hand and
refixed it as if he is placing the cover of the fountain pen back on the pen!

Sri Bhagavan said: There are three mad men in Tiruvannamalai. One is Arunachaleswara, who gave half His form to Unnamulai.
Another is Seshadri and I am the third!

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
In fact, many of UG Krishnamurti's "disciples" consider him ("disciples" I personally know) to be a similar madcap. They always say do not take the literal meaning of anything he utters. Sringeri swamigal - when he met UG - told him -

"When I heard of the extraordinary things that happened to you, I am reminded of my guru Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati," the Jagadguru started talking. "I don't know of these things in my own personal experience. But my teacher used to describe his experiences just the way they have occurred in your case. We were afraid that perhaps his mind was deranged. It is very rare that the body survives the shock of such a thoughtless state. "

Except for few blessings to mankind like Bhagawan Ramana - rest of the people just go mad on touching the Supreme I guess :). Few like Bhagawan are kept intact by Maya to guide us.

I personally know of a swamiji near my home town - Poonthura Swamigal. He was a perfect madcap. He lived in a lonely hut in a hill nearby. He was a fisherman by birth ! He used to throw stones at anyone who comes anywhere near his hut and will shout unbearable abuses. But he was a great jnani to many. He was a great Sidha too - he used to perform some unimaginable miracles like flying down from the hill to seashore etc :). But none could go near him. Now his Samadhi is present in same hut. He usually throws stones at anyone whom he sees - but one day he told one fisherman come tomorrow to my hut at sharp 3PM and I will show you who I am - like a threat. The man went there and Swamigal was sitting in final Samadhi. That is it !!

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:08:28 PM »
Dear sanjaya,

Realization of the Self no doubt shakes the body frame so badly, and that is why Sri Bhagavan had His head shaking, and He
had to walk with a stick even at young age. But rarely it affects the mind. Sri Chandraskehara Bharati 'appeared' like an
ordinary man but he used to talk to himself when no one was not there etc., But this is perhaps one of the affectations of the
Jnana Siddhi. But he was not mad in the conventional sense. His mind was intact and some affectations were there and that is
all.  I think it is Sri Ramakrishna who said that when god enters the man, the man's body is shattered like an elephant entering
a hut and breaking it down.

Arunachala Siva. 

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
As per Contract Act,mad and mentally retarded persons are not competent to enter into contract  and any contract executed by such person is null and void.

Similarly,the  results of  Papa and Punya  arising out of actions are not made applicaple to loonys and retarded persons.

Maha Periyava once commented,'' many devotees bring the mentally afflicted persons to me for cure. I used to think is it not better to leave them as such, so that they are free from committing sins.'
 Many of us do so many misdeeds out of anger, which is nothing but short madness  and accumulate sins. In contrast, mentally retarded enjoy immunity from sins