Author Topic: Detailed history of Shri Nisarghadatta maharaj:  (Read 5170 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Detailed history of Shri Nisarghadatta maharaj:
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
Detailed history of Shri Nisarghadatta maharaj:

http://www.inner-quest.org/NisargadattaMS.htm

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Detailed history of Shri Nisarghadatta maharaj:
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
Dear Sri ksksat27,

Thank You Very much for sharing this wonderful link about Maharaj!
And about Sri Ranjit Maharaj too.

With love and prayers,

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:08:14 AM »
Dear Sri ksksat27,

Thank You Very much for sharing this wonderful link about Maharaj!
And about Sri Ranjit Maharaj too.

With love and prayers,

Dear Jewell,  nice to see that you are getting useful insights in reading about the both.

Once Nisarghadatta Maharaj was met by Ranjith maharaj.  That time Ranjit Maharaj did not teach anybody.  But Nisarghadatta maharaj told that he is a jnanai.  David Godman was present in that occasion.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
For those interested in teachings of Ranjit Maharaj , here is a link to the same called "The Way of the bird" in the form of a free PDF .
The Way Of The Bird - Quotations of Ranjit Maharaj -Commentaries by Andrew Vernon

http://www.albigen.net/Portals/0/documents/Ranjit_Maharaj_The_Way_Of_The_Bird_Andrew_Vernon%20.pdf
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
Dear Sri ksksat27,

Yes,Sri Ranjit Maharaj was indeed true jnani. His teaching is very simple and yet,very profound. He is so dear.

Dear Sri Atmavichar,

Thank You Very much for the link! Yes,"The way of the bird" is the teching of Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj,the Guru of Sri Ranjit and Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj,who is the head of the Inchegiri branch of the Navnath Sampradaya(Nine Masters).
Here is the explanation of the teaching from wikipedia:

" It is the 'direct way' of knowing the Final Reality, in which one becomes aware of one's original nature through mental discrimination, a method which is common to the teachers of theNavnath Sampradaya
 This mental discrimination or the Bird's way ('Vihangam Marg') was also presented by Nisargadatta's co-disciple, Ranjit Maharaj; wherein Self-Knowledge is gained just as a bird flying in the sky goes easily from branch to branch, instead of slowly crawling its way up the tree like an ant, as in the 'Pipilika Marg'. Here the disciple reaches straight to truth, without wasting time in long drawn out practices that would take him to the 'fruit' no doubt, only slowly. He proposed to use one's mental faculty to break from the unreal to the real, and the mind's false identification with the ego, simply by listening to and constantly thinking over what the master has said, and knowing that "You are already That".[19]

The common teaching style of teaching of the Inchgiri Sampradaya masters (beginning with Shri Bhauseheb Maharaj) to Indian devotees was for the Master to select a passage from a traditional text on Advaita Vedanta, most commonlyDasbodh
 of Saint Shri Samarth Ramdas
(as well as the "Yoga Vasishtha", "Saachara" of Shri Shankaracharya, and the "Ecknati Bhagwat" of Saint Ecknath), and to expound upon the meaning and import of that selected passage. Nisargadatta Maharaj and Ranjit Maharaj both deviated from this formal format by giving informal discourses for the benefit of western devotees who did not have access to Dasbodh or the other texts, and who were not familiar with Indian traditions and customs."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:14:55 AM by Jewell »

Vladimir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
Dear Jewell,

So far as you mentioned Inchegiry Sampradaya's teaching in this branch and concerning your permanent firm interest into it i'm posting here some short notes about the pilgrimage I've recently come from.
Our pilgrimage lasted for about two weeks and we visited something around 15 places, I did not count. Some ashrams were very small, some bigger. The biggest and the oldest is Siddhagiri Math, that was founded more than 1500 years ago by Revannath himself (one of those famous Nine Naths). It's a place from where our lineage started in the beginning of 19th century. The cave where Gurulingajangam Maharaj was initiated is still there but is not allowed for visiting.
I was also impressed  by Umadi, Bausaheb maharaj's native place, where some of his own personal things are still saved by devotees and they allowed us to keep those articles in our hands and feel their vibrations. It was interesting to look into the famous old well in where Bhausaheb Maharaj used to meditate for hours keeping his balance on two steel bars.
Guru Renade's Ashram in Nimbal is also very nice, though it has strict discipline. They still follow 'ant's path', whereas Siddharameshwar's disciples all follow 'bird's path' which doesn't require much discipline. But Nimbal's nowaday 'father superior' is very-very nice person shining from inside. I don't like a word 'enlightened' but it suits very well if refer to himself.
Nisargadatta Maharaj's native place, Kandalgao, is hidden in real Indian jungles. They say at nights tigers come from the forest and eat village's dogs. (In Russia wolves do the same). It took some time to find it. Now only a small ashram is there and a big tree planted by Nisargadatta's hand near the grave of his niece. It was joy to sit on it's large roots for sometime.
I should mention also Alandi, Gianeshwar's Samadhi place. Gianeshwar is one of the most honorable Maharashtra's saints. He lived in12th century. In his early 20th he went into live samadhi. This means he entered a cave and ask people to brick up the entrance. There was such a violent tradition of Middle Ages' India. Now a big memorial is there. Lots of energy as if electricity emanates from his samadhi place.
And many many more sacred places which were interesting. But the best of all was close everyday communication with my Guru, Ramakant Maharaj, who organized the pilgrimage and took care of everythig. Though we usually sleep no more than 4 hours on concrete floor, eat spicy food which is not so good for my health and had to journey by bus for about 5-6 hours daily, I never felt disappointed or even tired and if it was possible I would go on and on this pilgrimage forever.
Though, perhaps, it's still going on in a hidden form:).
I don't claim to describe the pilgrimage in details, just try to convey by words that unique vibrating atmosphere (sphere of Atman:) that I was dipped into for that blessed period  of time.

Vladimir

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
Dear Vladimir,

It is sooo interesting to read about Your pilgrimage,and about all the Sacred places You visited. How wonderful! I wish i could see all that,but in a way i feel i am,reading this post. I am somehow impressed with the native place of Bausaheb Maharaj. I dont know why,its sounds Holy and Beautiful,from Your words,and it feels that way. And the father superior from Nimbal seems to be very fascinating. I am also happy You visited Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's birth place. It must be special experience... I pictured that tree Maharaj planted. :) Althrough the story of tigers and poor dogs is somehow sad.. Well,it is jungle like You said.
I never visited places like those,and i love when i read about it. I am sure it is Beautiful and special,like you said. So happy to read about Your travel,about our Fathers.
I must say i dont know much about Your Guru,Sri Ramakant Maharaj,only that He is disciple of Maharaj,and sure that time with Him is most precious of everything.

Thank You sooo much for sharing all this! I am truly delighted to read it. :) Truly,truly delighted!

With love and prayers,

Vladimir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
Dear Jewell,
Thanks a lot for your kind words. I added a link to my personal blog under my forum's name. It's in Russian, but may be you can understand because our languges are very close. Anyway, I uploaded some picks and clips from the last pilgrimage. And in archives you can also find some Ramakant Maharaj's videos in English if you're interested in.
Yours in the Self,
Vladimir

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
Dear Vladimir,

Great! I would love to see these pictures and clips. Also to read and know more about the places of all the Gurus from our lineage. I actually know very little,only basic things. And its very interesting to know all and see from someone who actually is been there,and recently too. And i am very interested to see and hear Sri Ramakant Maharaj.
Yes,i think i will understand. Our languages are very similar,and i generally i know little Russian,from shooll.

Thank You so much for the chance to participate in Your wonderful pilgrimage!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:17:51 PM by Jewell »