Author Topic: Let us share about self enquiry  (Read 2064 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Let us share about self enquiry
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
This thread is about the same original question:

how long do you do self enquiry every day as presrcibed by Ramana Maharishee.
And How do you do self enquiry.

Please restrict only to self enquiry who am i or abidance in I AM.
as taught by Ramana Maharishee .  You may also consider Nisarghadatta's method and a comparison.

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: Let us share about self enquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
your aprpoach is totally negative,  demotivating and without any inspirational purpose.

one can safely assume that whatever one says,  your only answer is to negate it.

anyhow it causes you some pleasure to do this and you are satisfied by this.

i dont have anything to say.

not only my thread, take any thread and one can see the same line of reply from you.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
I would like to add the below link for self enquiry:

http://soonyata.home.xs4all.nl/self-inquiry.htm

This person Muzika,  I dont know the current state or background , but this person has tried sincerely to do self enquiry.

It gives many very good insights and tips.

Especially dont forget to go through the Nisarghadatta gita.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:50 AM »
Dear Ksksat, for your question on how long we should practise Self enquiry I have included some quotes from a number of books about Bhagavan. The main theme is that he says we should practise whenever we can. I am one of those who doesn’t practise long enough and is easily distracted.

Collected Works of Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi.

Page 42
15. How long should enquiry be practised?

As long as there are impressions of objects in the mind, so long the enquiry ‘Who am I?’ is required. As thoughts arise they should be destroyed then and there in the very place of their origin through enquiry. If one resorts to contemplation of the Self unintermittently, until the Self is gained, that alone would do. As long as there are enemies within the fortress, they will continue to sally forth; if they are destroyed as they emerge, the fortress will fall into our hands.

Page 62.
18. How long should one practise ?

Until the mind attains effortlessly its natural state of freedom from concepts, that is till the sense of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ exists no longer.

Gems From Bhagavan.

Who am I ? – Enquiry.
Page 13.

For all thoughts the source is the  ‘I-thought’. The mind will merge only by Self-enquiry ‘Who am I?’ The thought ‘Who am l?’ will destroy all other thoughts and finally kill itself also. If other thoughts arise, without trying to complete them, one must enquire to whom did this thought arise. What does it matter how many thoughts arise? As each thought arises one must be watchful and ask to whom is this thought occurring. The answer will be ‘to me’. If you enquire ‘Who am I?’ the mind will return to its source (or where it issued from). The thought which arose will also submerge. As you practise like this more and more, the power of the mind to remain at its source is increased

Guru Ramana.

Meditation.
Page 66/67

To hear it direct from him this “Self-knowledge”, rather the way to Self-knowledge, is “the easiest thing there is” (Atma Vidya); but, judging from the questions constantly asked of him, and later of his disciples, there appears to be the need for much spade work before its central idea takes a firm hold on the seeker. The Master’s obvious meaning seems to be that, even apart from the psychological efficacy of the vichara proper, preoccupying the mind with a single theme to the exclusion of all others, if doggedly practised, will not fail to produce beneficial results. It will tend to reduce the oscillations of the thinking processes, and thus render the mind amenable to concentration on the supremely important work which is to follow, which by itself is a splendid achievement. Finding the answer to the query “Who am I?” is not the immediate burden of the practice in the beginning. Stability and fixity of the restless, mercurial mind is the first aim, and this can be achieved by constant practice and by frequently pulling oneself back to the subject of the meditation whenever the mind strays away.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi.
Page 12.

D.: Is work an obstruction to Self-realisation?

M.: No. For a realised being the Self alone is the Reality, and actions are only phenomenal, not affecting the Self. Even when he acts he has no sense of being an agent. His actions are only involuntary and he remains a witness to them without any attachment. There is no aim for this action. Even one who is still practising the path of Wisdom (jnana) can practise while engaged in work. It may be difficult in the earlier stages for a beginner, but after some practice it will soon be effective and the work will not be found a hindrance to meditation.

Page 478.

D.: What is the practice?

M.: Constant search for ‘I’, the source of the ego. Find out ‘Who am I?’ The pure ‘I’ is the reality, the Absolute Existence-Consciousness- Bliss. When That is forgotten, all miseries crop up; when that is held fast, the miseries do not affect the person

D.: While engaged in Atma vichara (the investigation of the Self), I fall asleep. What is the remedy for it?

M.: Do nama-sankirtana (sing the name of God).

D.: It is ruled out in sleep.

M.: True. The practice should be continued while awake. Directly you wake up from sleep, you must resume it. The sleeper does not care for Atma vichara. So he need not practise anything. The waking self desires it and so he must do it.

Words of Grace.

Page 58.

18. How long should one practise?

Until the mind attains effortlessly its natural state of freedom from concepts, that is till the sense of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ exists no longer.

Regards,
Paul.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:01 AM »
Dear friends,
We dshouldnt feel despondent about how much less time we spend on self enquiry.
Micheal James in his happiness and the art of being says that even for a few moments in a day we do ,it will help.
Even if we are not able to spend  long stretches , small moments spent to bring back attention to the self helps.
Even when we go to office , we should not think that we can work on self enquiry only after returning.
I nowadays think that even during office hours in the micromoments  between various major tasks  ,we can bring back attention back to the self.
We should remember that a day has not just 24 hours but is composed of infinite micro intervals strung together to present the illusion of time. 
Many such micro moments can be spent in self attention .
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
Krishnan, i warmly recommend to study 'nan yar' translated by michael james. Personally this one book is genuienly enough and provides clarification for any doubt. But it requires regular study again and again.

As you get clarity or as you understand it from these studies, you would have already begun practicing self enquiry.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
I recommend:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7321.msg35571#msg35571

This beautiful article :D  is a great aid to self enquiry. :o

Friends, let me tell you ... self enquiry starts as 15-20 mins in morning and evening and eventally one should be reveling in it throughout the day... living in meditation 24 7 is the way I put it ... but its very helpful to have a morning and evening seated sessions of meditaiton/self enquiry ... its like having food twice a day to maintain energy throughout the day :) ... but as such one one is comfortable with it ... one will be able to live it during the day to day events and activities ... it gets totally merged up with every activity of the day.

Thanks Udai.  This is really useful tip.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
Krishnan, i warmly recommend to study 'nan yar' translated by michael james. Personally this one book is genuienly enough and provides clarification for any doubt. But it requires regular study again and again.

As you get clarity or as you understand it from these studies, you would have already begun practicing self enquiry.

Thanks  Nagaraj, Paul and Anand along with Udai for quoting and referring wonderful gems on self enquiry.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Dear friends,
Of late I am trying to practice a different way of self enquiry.
Whenever any disturbing thought arises like anger towards someone or even guilt towards myself for whatsoever reason  ,I immediately imagine the picture of Sri Bhagavan or sometimes say to myself Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya .
This brings a feeling of calm and self assuredness that Bhagavan  will take care .
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand