Author Topic: Aham Vritti.  (Read 1230 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Aham Vritti.
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »

Sanskrit : Aham = I ; Vritti = thoughts. Aham-vritti + I thoght, the thought that 'I am an individual soul limited to my body-mind.,
the sense of ego or simply the 'I'.

Our life experiences rotate through relentless cycle of three states - waking, dream and deep sleep. We feel that we are an
individual, 'I', limited to our body-mind complex, in waking and dream states. Sri Bhagavan calls this sense of ego as 'I-thought'.
This 'I-thought' is absent in deep sleep.

Bhagavan defines the mind as thoughts. Of all the thoughts, the 'I-thought' is the root thought. Hence the mind is but this this 'I'
(The Essence of Instructions). The world appears in the waking state and dream state along with the mind and disappears in deep
sleep when the mind temporarily disappears. Thus we can conclude the world is a projection of the mind.

Diverse thoughts appear and disappear sequentially in our mind. All these thoughts are known by 'I'. There can be no thought
without this 'I-thought,'  since they are known by 'I'. But 'I-thought' can be there in the absence of other thoughts and knows that
there in the absence of other thoughts and knows that there are no thoughts. (Maharshi's Gospel, II, Chapter 6).

This is the basic and vital difference between 'I-thought' and other thoughts. Bhagavan therefore compares this 'I-thought' to the
thread passing through all pearls in a chain.

A ball of iron in its intrinsic nature is not radiant. (Self Inquiry). When heated in fire, the iron ball becomes hot and glows giving a false
notion of a radiant ion ball. It takes the nature of fire within the narrow limits of the iron ball's size. Similarly, 'I' is a spurious entity,
Bhagavan says, having the nature of awareness 'I' 'I' but limited to the size of the body. 'I' is therefore the limited reflection of
the unlimited "I" "I", our Self nature, the Reality.

'I thought'has the vital clue for breaking the inexorable cycle of waking, dream, and deep sleep. So long as our attention is on objects,
the subject 'I' expands and hides as it were, its source 'I' 'I'. When we turn our attention to 'I', the subject, it wanes and subsides into
the 'I' 'I". Bhagavan says that like a dog which tracks his master by tracing his scent, ignoring everything else, we should trace 'I'           'I', our real nature, by turning our attention away from the objects and focus it on the subject 'I'. "So then, the search for the source
of the aham-vritti is not merely the search for the basis of one of the forms of the ego, but for the very Source itself, from which arises
the 'I am' ness. In other words, the quest for and the realization of the Source of the ego, in the form of aham vritti necessarily implies
the transcendence of the ego in everyone of its possible forms." (Maharshi's Gospel).

Aham vritti creates the world and associated problems. But it has the solution by leading us to our Self nature, immortality, freedom,
and bliss. This solution is in the very problem of who we think we are.

"This is the sum and substance of all that an aspirant needs to know. What is imperatively required of him is an earnest, and one
pointed inquiry into the source of aham vritti,, says Sri Bhagavan. (Maharshi's Gospel)

Arunachala Siva.