Author Topic: Atma Vichara Padigam - Sadhu Om: tr. Tanmaya Chaitanya:  (Read 2495 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Atma Vichara Padigam - Sadhu Om: tr. Tanmaya Chaitanya:
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »

To think is to generate a vritti in the form of a thought (and hence to indulge in an act, and hence pravritti); but 'what is' is never a
vritti (that is the sense of I AM is never an act of thinking or thought). If one probes keenly with total attention as to who is this
'I' which spawns all thoughts, thinking process will automatically cease. Even in the absence of thoughts, Being  (the sense of one's
Pure Existence) never ceases and there is no doubt about this. To abide unwaveringly in that Source from where all thoughts spring
forth, is indeed true Atma Nishta. May you abide thus!

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Atma Vichara Padigam - Sadhu Om: tr. Tanmaya Chaitanya:
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »

2. The 'thinker' alone is the Jiva, the individual soul who owns up thinking. The one who merely exists, bereft of all thoughts, is
Iswara, the Godhead, or Sakshi Chaitanya. If the thinker Jiva desires to remain still by merely focusing the attention on the sense
of pure Existence, in the form of "I AM", such Self attention will quell all thinking activity (pravrtti) and transform itself into the mode
of pure Being (nivrtti) Consciousness. Such a resolution of the thinker along with all his thoughts into the Source (ever shining as
Existence-Awareness) resulting in a vibrant stillness is alone called Siva Sayujaya (Abidance in the state of Siva.)

continued....

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »

3. Among so many countless thoughts that gurgle up from within, the thinker himself (in the form of I am so and so) is merely
one more thought. However this 'I-thought' is the root of all thoughts (and hence the seed of all samsara). But it is merely
a reflection / image (pratibimba) of our true Swarupa, the Self (that exists as 'I', 'I' without the limitations of any attributes.
When we abide as this true Self in utter silence, the spurious 'I-thought' never rears its head.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »

continues.....

This 'I' thought' does not arise in deep sleep state, devoid of dreams. Nor does this 'I'-thought' ever arise for the Jnani who
ever abides, in the true Jnana Nishta. Only between these states does this 'I'-thought appear as 'I am the body' (in the waking
and dream states) and disappear otherwise, (in the deep sleep state, and the enlightened mode of Being). For this reason alone,
this 'I-thought' is said to be a mere thought which comes and goes and hence to be dismissed as false.  Our true nature, by
definition, is the ever present Self and never transient like this 'I-thought'.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

When this 'I-thought' flourishes, all miseries also flourish (for it is the seed of ignorance and hence of samsara). It is this 'I-
thought' alone which is called the ego. It arises and survives only because of the lack of self inquiry. By not leaning on it for
one's existence and by intently questioning this 'I am so and so' thought, with unrelenting attention, it evaporates out of
existence without a trace (even as mist vanishes with a rising sun).

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »

Because of this 'I-thought' (aham vritti) which pretends as the (grammatical) first person, the entire world comes into being
as the 'second' and 'third' persons. (you and it - idam vritti). If the searchlight of our attention gives up its fancy for the second
and third persons, and turn itself on the 'I'-thought, then this pseudo first person will disappear and the substratum of true
Being will flash forth  as the ever present 'I', 'I', Consciousness without he adjunct of 'so and so'. This undecaying true First
Person alone is the real Self and staying aware of the Self is indeed Jnanam -- Enlightenment. (pratyabhijnana)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »

To grasp the 'second and third persons' (idam vritti) and pursuing it without a pause is utter foolishness; running after the 'second
and third' persons by paying attention to them will fuel the thinking activity ever more. But turning that attention inwards towards
the 'first person' (aham vritti) is equivalent to the suicide for the ego. Because only by pursuing the inquiry of the aham vritti
relentlessly to its logical end, will the ego be exterminated. This is the only way for the annihilation of the ego (ahamkara nasa)
which alone is referred to as mano nasa.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »

Without seeking the source of Aham Vritti shining as 'I am this body' in everyone's awareness but constantly turning the
attention of one's mind to the 'second and third' persons' which includes our own body is nothing but the play of ignorance.
But if you raise the doubt 'is not the seeking of Aham vritti itself a pursuit of ignorance? Why should I then seek after a false
entity instead of pursuing the truth?' then do listen to my answer!

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »

The reason for the progressive attenuation and eventual annihilation of  'I-thought' by tracing the source of the false aham vritti
is just this: the 'I-thought' is the scent for finding the true Self as it it nothing but a ray emanating from the Source of our deathless
Being. By training the powerful searchlight of our attention and latching it onto this ray without any lapse (pramada), the length
of this ego ray progressively diminishes and finally disappears leaving in its wake the pure 'I am" shining without any veil of all
limiting attributes.  Thus though the 'I-thought' is a false entity, it is called a useful 'leading error' as by holding on to it one arrives
at the Swarupa of oneself.  Bhagavan emphasizes that attention on aham vritti leds to aham sphurti or aham sphranana, which
alone bestows aham bodha, (or aparoksha jnana) Self Knowledge.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

Do not ever take up any work with the egoistic feeling that 'this duty has to be performed only by me'; there is nothing in this world
that happens by your will power nor are you a truly existent entity (in terms of the ego which has only a phantom existence).
Understand this fact right at the outset and weed our the egoistic doership attitude in your daily life. Then you will see that all
your duties get carried out by a Higher Power automatically (using your body-mind complex as a mere instrument of the divine ),
while your inner peace will always remain full to the brim.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:24:30 PM »
Epilogue:

11. If  we investigate carefully, we shall find that there is absolutely no object in this world, which is not time bound and hence
imperishable, and that the Self shining as 'I'.'I', alone is only Satya Vastu in the entire creation. Discriminating thus, renouncing
mentally everything else, as ephemeral non Self, may we ever remain as the un-negtable Atman in unswerving abidance. The
timeless and immortal Ramana Sadguru has truly ordained this Self abidance alone as the paramount duty for all of us!

CONCLUDED.

Arunachala Siva.