Author Topic: Power of Arunachala-kshetra  (Read 7270 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Power of Arunachala-kshetra
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:46:08 AM »
Dear All,

I read this beautiful blog from David Godman site & wanted to share with you all.

The unique sanctity and power of Arunachala-kshetra was once confirmed by an incident that happened in the life of Sri Bhagavan. Because of his great love for Sri Bhagavan, a certain devotee wanted to take him to his native place, Chidambaram. But rather than directly ask Sri Bhagavan to come to Chidambaram, he began to ask him if he had ever been to see Lord Nataraja in Chidambaram Temple. When Sri Bhagavan replied that he had not, the devotee began to describe the greatness of Chidambaram, saying that it was the most sacred Siva-kshetra in South India, that so many saints and sages had lived there and had sung in praise of Lord Nataraja, and so on and so forth. Sri Bhagavan listened to all he said with patient interest, but showed no signs of wanting to visit Chidambaram. 

Seeing this, the devotee at last said, 'Chidambaram is even greater than Arunachala, because among the panchabuta lingams [the lingams representing the five elements] Chidambaram is the space-lingam while Arunachala is only the fire-lingam.(6) Since the four elements, earth, water, air and fire, finally have to merge in space, space is the principal element.'

Hearing this, Sri Bhagavan smiled and said, 'All the five elements come into existence only when Sakti seemingly forsakes her identify with Lord Siva, the Supreme Self (Paramatman). Since the five elements are thus only the creations of Sakti, she is superior to all of them. Therefore, more important than the place where the elements merge, is the place where Sakti herself merges. Because Sakti is dancing in Chidambaram, Lord Siva has to dance before her and thereby make her become motionless. But in Arunachala Lord Siva remains ever motionless (achala), and hence Sakti automatically and effortlessly merges in him through great love. Therefore, Arunachala shines as the foremost and most powerful kshetra, because here Sakti, who has seemingly created all this manifold appearance, herself merges into the Lord. So for those mature aspirants who seek to put an end to the false appearance of duality, the most powerful help is to be found only in Arunachala-kshetra.' 

Subsequently, on 24th June 1928, Sri Bhagavan summarized this reply of his in the form of a verse, which later became the first verse of Sri Arunachala Navamanimalai. In this verse he says: 

Though he is truly motionless by nature, in the court [of Chidambaram] Lord Siva dances before Sakti, thereby making her motionless. But know that [in Tiruvannamalai] Lord Arunachala shines triumphant, that Sakti having merged in his motionless form.

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!

Vinod

• View Profile
Re: Power of Arunachala-kshetra
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:51:46 AM »
This is very help ful for the one who is "only" attracted to Arunachala but not to any other place (just like me :)) & feel very happy for the same.

When I was in TN for more than a year I visited Tiru many times & never had a thought of visiting Chidambaram(with due respect) and after leaving TN I used to think why I have missed Chidambaram & other imp places. Now after reading this I am not having any complex feeling inside me.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:56:04 AM by Vinod »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »
Dear Vinod,

Nice to read your post. Saiva Sddhantis consider Chidambaram as the most important kshetra and they simply used to mention
as Kovil, the Temple. All four great Saiva Saints have sung on Chidambaram, though they also have sung about Arunachala,
Saint Manikkavachagar has attained mukti (by merging as a flame into Nataraja of Chidambaram). In fact all decads of Tirumurais
(Saiva Canons) used to mention TiruchiRRambalam, before and after the decad. In fact Muruganar has also followed this method
in Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai.

But it was Sri Bhagavan who was responsible for keeping up the glory of Arunachala and it was the destiny that He had to come there
and stay for 54 years in and around the Hill and in the temple, so that devotees would know that Arunachala is as important as
Chidambaram and even more! He had the remembrance (smarana) of Arunachala right from His very young years and it was fortified
by a visitor to the house who mentioned about it. Then His eagerness to see the Hill increased many-fold and He could achieve that.
This is explained by Sri Bhagavan in His Arunachala Ashtakam, Verse 1. 

Arunachala Siva.   

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:26:06 AM »

I believe it is the saints/devotees who make a place/temple special!! Without Bhagawan, what specialty would Arunachala have other than being a panchabutha lingam?

Prior to Bhagawan, what was the condition of TVmalai? Did it really attract many visitors? Was girivalam as popular? Did lots of people know about the Karthigai dheepam? Of course, people may have heard through Arunagirinathar and I believe Appar thevaram, but did it have the popularity as it has now?

Atleast, my perception is that Chidambaram was always more popular with royal patronage, etc.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:49 AM »
Deepa,
Please check the two discourses in Tamizh by suki Sivam
1.annamalaiyar arputhangal
2.Girivala Mahimai
Suki sivam is a persuasive and knowledgeable communicator,having benefitted by the association of Sri Vaariyaar swamigal and kee vaa Jagannathan.
You may download it from this site.There are other talks also.You may check his talk on sri Ramakrishna as well as Bharatiyar,etc.
Please check this site:
http://sumukam.wordpress.com/discourses/sri-suki-sivam/
In one of my trips to tiruvannamalai,I was accompanied by some office colleagues and we travelled by Taxi(6 of us).I prepared a CD(mp3)and had it playing during the duration of this trip of 3 and a half hours.There was no gossip or light talk;everyone were totally absorbed in the talks and later on took a copy of it for a repeat listening.This is a good way to introduce people who are not exposed to these things and hopefully to get them interested.Try your luck at home and with your in laws.It also prepares one for the pilgrimage to these places.
I forgot!Please check out Kanchi maa munivar as well by suki sivam.It is a fabulous talk and can be downloaded as well.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
Dear deepa,

I agree that Chidambaram was more popular in ancient days and it was sung by all the four great Saiva Saints. It had also royal
patronage of Chozhas particularly. But one should not conclude that Tiruvannamalai was not at all known to outside the world.
There were poet-saints like Guhai Namasivayar, Guru Namasivayar, ThuRaimangalam Sivaprakasa Swamigal and a few others apart
from Arunagiri Nathar as you mentioned and also Jnana Sambandhar and Tirunavukkarasar. But  it is Sri Bhagavan's stay there
 that made the town, Hill and temple popular in the last two centuries.  Royal patronage was also limited in the sense that only some chieftains were in charge of this area.

Arunachala Siva.

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
Deepa,
Please check the two discourses in Tamizh by suki Sivam

Ravi ji
I love Suki Sivam. I will definitely listen to the ones you mention.

By the way, I hope you are familiar with this periyava blog http://mahaperiyavaa.wordpress.com/
It has beautiful incidents as well as experiences of bhakthas.

Deepa

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »

I believe it is the saints/devotees who make a place/temple special!! Without Bhagawan, what specialty would Arunachala have other than being a panchabutha lingam?

Prior to Bhagawan, what was the condition of TVmalai? Did it really attract many visitors? Was girivalam as popular? Did lots of people know about the Karthigai dheepam? Of course, people may have heard through Arunagirinathar and I believe Appar thevaram, but did it have the popularity as it has now?

Atleast, my perception is that Chidambaram was always more popular with royal patronage, etc.

Dear Deepa Ji,

What is the condition of Tirupathi today being so world famous? We find all kind of things happening there ignoring its sacredness & great history. Even Srisailam which is a jyothir ling with great history & popularity but do we feel that attraction or eagerness to visit again & again. Tell me one punyakshetram in this world by visiting many number of times still u feel insatiable?

Our master was a messenger of Arunachala who showed his love to his father & eventually he has come in spot light. I remember reading somewhere in this forum were a devotee when referred our master as arunachala, our master became very angry listening to that comment. So we being our master desciples, we can never dare to say that it has become famous just because of him. People like us needed a person to be guided to reach our destination & this is taken care by our master by the grace of supreme Arunachala. As per my little knowledge, no other place in this world gives the true vedantha just by looking or mere thinking of it.

I wish our Arunachala should maintain its special uniqueness & there should be no need to get popular coz as per the legend "people dont come here by their wish, it is just he who calls them"

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:29:44 AM »
Adding to the above, most of the people in india know this place for its spiritual power of lord shiva. Foregners in abroad came to know about this through meditaion centers, internet or other sources, which eventually led them to self enquiry of our master & then gradually came to know about our almighty, since they did not have any source to know about the Arunachala. That is why we find lot of foreigners in ramanashramam rather then the other shrines around the hill.

Even i visted this place @ the first time knowing about the presence of shiva in this place. It took 5 long years for me to know little about our master, even after visiting Tiru every or alternate year initially.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:57:44 AM »
An Excellent Pic of Arunachala that I found on the net :

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »
      I wish our Arunachala should maintain its special uniqueness & there should be no need to get popular coz as per the legend "people dont come here by their wish, it is just he who calls them"   

Dear Vinod,

I agree with You completely. I also believe that Arunachala dont need any popularity. The one who should know about our Father,will know anyway. And that way there wouldnt be unnecessery crouds and trafic. And the flora and fauna will be preserved in best way. That is very important. Arunachala should stay quiet and serene place. At least i would like that.

Thank You Very much!

With love and prayers,

Dear Sri Atmavichar,

Beautiful picture of Arunachala!

Thank You!

With love and prayers,

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:53 AM »
An Excellent Pic of Arunachala that I found on the net :

Thanks for posting this great picture.  :)

Does someone know if it is possible to see all 5 peaks of Arunachala at the same time?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »

Dear Jyoti,

Yes.  While doing giri-pradakshina, there is a place (there is a notice board also there at that spot) from where you
can see all the five faces of Arunachala.  The huge trees will obstruct them to some extent, but you can still see them.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Dear Mr. Subramanian,

You do not know by chance if there is some picture available made from that spot?
I would love to see all the 5 peaks together.

Greetings,
Jyoti

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

I do not have any picture of pancha-mukham of Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva.