Author Topic: The annoying sadhu of Tiru  (Read 5017 times)

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
The annoying sadhu of Tiru
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »
I wonder if anyone else has had interaction with this tall, lanky, white-haired sadhu in Tiruvannamalai that I find really annoying. He wears an orange dhoti and is usually bare chested with a string of rudrakshas around his chest. Some times he wears an orange kurta. He speaks very good English and Tamil and is often to be seen in the big temple holding court or in the tea shop opposite Ramanasramam talking to westerners. If he comes into Ramanasramam, it is because he is trailing someone.

I find him really annoying. He has been trying to strike up a conversation with me for atleast a couple of years, he may have been watching me for more. When I am bargaining with a shop owner, he appears from no where and butts in.  He wants my cell phone number.  He wants to be my teacher and show me around the big temple but I really don't like him and don't want to talk to him but he doesn't get it.  Short of throwing stones at him, I don't know what else to do to him.

Enquiries at Ramanasramam revealed that he is the son of an honorable ex-employee. Somehow this boy (now a elderly man) went wayward and is begging on the streets.  Did I mention all he seems to be interested in is your money but uses spirituality as his vehicle to nab the first time westerner.

Every time I go to Tiru now, I send up a prayer that I don't have to see this person - the tall, lanky, white haired man in orange. I don't know his name and I don't want to know. That is how miffed I am at him  >:(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:11:31 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: The annoying tall 'sadhu' (if you can call him that)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala

Once at Varanasi, as Swamiji was coming out of the temple of Mother Durga, he was surrounded by a large number of chattering monkeys. They seemed to  be threatening him. Swamiji did not want them to catch hold of him, so he started to run away. But the monkeys chased him. An old sannyasin was there, watching those monkeys. He called out to Swamiji, 'Stop! Face the brutes!' Swamiji stopped. He turned round and faced the monkeys. At once, they ran away. Many years later, Swamiji said: 'If you ever feel afraid of anything, always turn round and face it. Never think of running away.'

(Swamiji was none other than Swami Vivekananda)

Hope this helped!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala,

I have visited Sri Ramanasramam on a number of occasions during the past 4 years. I have not met this 'Swami'.  I and
my wife normally converse with Office people, book depot people and some personalities whom we know, like Lucy Ma's
Daughter and a short Sri Lankan lady. With others we normally do not converse. Anyway your advice is quite useful for
keeping in mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
Re: The annoying sadhu of Tiru
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

That is a beautiful lesson from Swami Vivekananda, isn't it?  I will try to imbibe it in my life. Thank you.

Dear Subramanian Sir,

Lucy Maa's daughter and the Sri Lankan lady are good people.  This guy is a mendicant who roams the streets in an orange dhoti.  I am sure you will know who I am referring to if you see him.  He is tall, lanky, dark skinned and looks very clean. You can't miss him. He comes to Ramanasramam usually in the afternoons and evenings when there are more westerners.

I was really looking for ways to deal with this man. I find him very bothersome. His mind is definitely not on spiritual practices but looks the part of an educated sadhu with vibuti, rudraksha and orange robes  AND a huge watch.

That is why while I love going to Ramanasramam, I just cant meditate there anymore because I have to be vigilant.  So now I just meditate in my room.  Bhagavan is there, Arunachala also comes.

Regards,
Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:13:11 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala,

You can think of Old Hall for meditation. It is a place where Sri Bhagavan held His court and there were great personalities
like Muruganar, Kunju Swami, Kavyakanta, T.K. Sundaresa Iyer, N.R. Krishnamurti Iyer, Sub Registrar Narayana Iyer,
Suri Nagamma, Devaraja Mudaliar, and Smt. Kanakamma, and Westerners like Chadwick, Arthur Osborne, S.S. Cohen,
and even Aurobindo's devotees like Kapali Sastri, Dilip Kumar Roy - all have sat and listened to Sri Bhagavan's words of
wisdom. This Hall reverberates with that sublime past. 

The Old Hall is well protected and people like 'Swami' will not be allowed inside.   

Arunachala Siva.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
Re: The annoying sadhu
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »
Subramanian, Sir

Thank you. Yes, I like the old meditation hall. BTW, this guy isn't a swami. He just wears orange robes and is very clean looking. He looks like one of us. So he isn't stopped when he goes into the old meditation hall.

Someone emailed me just now that his name is Krishnan. May be it is.   If anyone here has a more effective way of dealing with this guy, other than throwing stones at him,  please let me know.   He follows me to stores in the big temple area. The moment the shop keepers spot him, they charge me a Rs 1 or 2 more. Not that I mind giving, just don't want to be forced to give and definitely not to this pest.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:13:57 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:25 AM »
Dear Child of Ramana,

The best option would be to check with the Ashram office itself. May be you could speak to fellow devotees who are from other country.

There could be different ways to deal with this, Either speak to him directly and sort out the issue, ask him to not disturb you. If he could be spoken with, ask him what he wants, provide if you could, else, settle the matter with him. If this also does not work, just stop paying any attention to him. The lesser you pay attention, the farther he would get, just be careless towards him, use the situation to abide as Self. Just be silent at him, convincingly, your silence would dismiss him off.

The other side would be, who knows, we never know who comes in what form, he could be hanging around you, perhaps for you to discern some new teaching through him.

Do not worry, Bhagavan is just beside, nothing could happen.

Conquer with love and wisdom.

(these are my views, second opinion is sure worth it)

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
Re: The annoying sadhu of Tiru
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
Dear Nagaraj

Your suggestions are full of wisdom. I was worried about my own attitude towards him, that too in the vicinity of Arunachala. That is why I posted.  I will abide in the Self and hope he goes away. Afterall Arunachala has a way of dealing with bothersome people. Arunachala has always come through for me.

I feel you have given me the answer to my problem - To abide in the Self and not be so much in the world.  Thank you.

Regards,
Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:15:58 PM by Child of Arunachala »