Author Topic: Kriya Yoga  (Read 990 times)

right2be

• View Profile
Kriya Yoga
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
Hello everybody,

My questions today is what is Kriya yoga ? i have just read Autobiography of a Yogi ( Paramahansa Yogananda ) and he speaks about Kriya yoga.
i have done a little reading and it says that Kriya yoga is an advanced form of Raja yoga. If this is true does that mean that it is a yoga based on breathing ?

Warmest regards.

Right2be

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Kriya Yoga
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:48 AM »
ivac,
I do not practice Kriya Yoga;as I understand that it is not just a breathing exercise,although pranayama is key.The Yogi is one who is fully aware of the machinery of Body-mind and is in a position to govern the flow of pranic energy through the various channels.The source of thought and prana is same-Pure consciousness.The Yogi aims to link the prana to the source -this he does by blocking as well as limiting its flow through the sensory channels and switching it towards those that link it to the source through certain techniques called Bandhas and Mudras.These are to be learnt directly from one who has mastered it and not from the books.
In this way,the yogi is in a position to work on his consciouness and raise it in a step by step fashion by taking control of the Energy in its grossest form and raising it into subtler and subtler form through the centres of consciousness(chakras)till it merges in the primeval source as pure consciouness.
The Yogi considers that his method is scientific and infallible and proceeds through definitive processes,whereas the other ways are indirect and take hold of just one aspect-thought(jana yoga) or feeling(Bhakti yoga) that proceed through fits and starts and a hit or miss type of an approach.
Kriya yoga requires initiation from a living Guru and they insist on maintaining the teachings 'confidential' in order to prevent it from being distorted through indiscriminate dissemination.

Namaskar.

right2be

• View Profile
Re: Kriya Yoga
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
Thanks tushnim and Ravi.

Self enquiry all the way !