Author Topic: travel to Thiruvannamalai  (Read 11467 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: travel to Thiruvannamalai
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
Well well written, Krishna. Thanks. Complete surrender is the only thought I want to have in Arunachala, but as you said, if He is taking action - why try to take it myself as ego. Now itself, my plan got extended by HIS Grace to two days instead of one day. I can see HIS kindness there itself. And who am I (as ego) to think about my sadhana in the Supreme Abode of Bhagawan? Nochur Acharya says there is hardly any inch of place in Arunachala where Bhagawan's footsteps did not fall. I cant believe I will be able to put my foot down there finally - at HIS will and wish all going fine.

Thanks,
-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
 Dear Sanjay Sir

Pl go to Skandasramam, Virupaksa guhai and Guhai Namasivaya guhai.  You can to to these places from Ramanasramam back side.  The way to Skandasramam from Ramanasramam is very nice and gives peace of mind.  On the way you can see the entire structure of Arunachala temple. You can sit in a rock for  a few minutes seeing the Arunachala temple from the Hill. pl start at 7.30 in the morning to these places from Ramanasramam.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Thank you, Balaji sir. Will do.

Also, if anyone from Bangalore is not likely to travel to Thiruvannamalai soon and would like me to get any books / anything for you from Ashram - kindly do not hesitate to message me. I will consider it a blessing to get it for you.

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
Dear all -

I had a fantastic two day trip to Bhagawan's Abode.

On Day 1 - reached there by noon. And went to Ashram directly. It was beyond words to explain seeing Bhagawan's Maha Niravana Room and sitting silent in Samadhi hall. Did 22 Pradakshinams of Samadhi of Bhagawan. And spent the time there till 4PM. Further, went to Arunachaleshwara Temple and spent the time till night there. Seeing Lord Arunachala was equally spell binding. I have a foot problem and so I was thinking of doing Girivalam the next day morning starting 5AM with footwear. But see Bhagawan's grace - In Ashram, someone stole my Footwear :) - which I had kept outside as Shoe Stall was closed for lunch. Bhagawan wanted me to do it without footwear.

On Day 2 - Morning 5AM I started Girivalam and finished by 8AM. Visited few LInga temples on the periphery - Not all. It was a thrilling experience to witness Arunachala Hill in various lights and shades as sun rises. Had to take rest in that morning after Girivalam. Went to Ashram again post lunch and spent time in Samadhi Hall. Later in the evening, went to Sheshadri Swamigal Ashram and Temple again.

Started back on Sunday morning to Bangalore. Some pictures - https://picasaweb.google.com/105020385507829959438/Ramana?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK-JzP__stbd0wE&feat=directlink

I cannot still believe Bhagawan made this travel happen. He is ocean of Grace indeed.

Sanjay.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:26:55 AM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
Dear Sanjay,

Very nice to hear about your T'malai trip and darshan of Sri Bhagavan and also Mother (Yogambika) and Siva and Unnamulai
in the temple. Sri Bhagavan's grace will further make you to do trips more often.

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »
Thanks, sir. I came across another narration while in Ashram - browsing some library books. I was looking for Samadhi of Kavyakantha and could not find. Then I read in some book there that Kavyakantha's last days were somewhere in North India. On receiving the news of his death - someone asked Bhagawan whether Kavyakantha could have attained liberation. Bhagawan just answered - "His Sankalpas are too strong".

Any more information on this please?

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
Dear sanyaya,

Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni passed away while he was in Sirsi (?), North Karnataka. The statement made by Sri Bhagavan after his
passing away is somewhat controversial. I cannot say anything more than this. David Godman said that Sri Bhagavan's statement
which was in Talks or Day by Day, was removed later in order not to cause embarassment for Muni's devotees.

Arunachala Siva.       

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »
Dear Sanjaya Ganesh

Very nice to hear your trip to Thiruvannamalai.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »
Dear Sanjaya Ganesh garu,

very nice trip sir and glad to see few snaps of holy arunachala.

regarding ganapati muni and bhagavan's statement this has been discussed in detail in the past in this forum.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »
Thanks, Prashanth Garu.

One more thing I noticed - I hope the last 2-3 kms of Girivalam through city center is made more pain free in future by Government. Even though I started at 5AM and was in city areas by 7:30am, it is very hard to just focus on Arunachala and walk in he midst of all the vehicles and crowd os city.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
Dear Sri Sanjay,

I am so happy to hear that You had great time with Arunachala and Bhagavan! I am sure those were beautiful two days.
 And i just saw Your pictures. They are beautiful!

Thank You for sharing all with us!

With love and prayers,

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
Dear Sanjayji,

I am happy that you had such a good trip. Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures. I can only think of the Aksharamanamalai verse 16.

kAntam irumbupOl kavarndenai vidAmal
kalanden OdiruppAy arunAchala

O Arunachala! Like magnet which attracts iron,
thou shouldst draw me, and without letting me
go, be in union with me.

Arunachala is indeed a magnet that attracts you very strongly!

om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
Dear Lathaji,

Such a wonderful lines! So sweet and heart melting.
Arunachala is indeed Powerful magnet.

With love and prayers,

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Congrats Sanjay on successfully completing your maiden Arunachala / Ramana Ashram trip . Thanks also for sharing the beautiful pictures of Arunachala .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »
Namaskaram all especially those who have completed their maiden girivalam.

I found this following excerpt in  THE HUMAN GOSPEL OF RAMANA MAHARSHI AS SHARED BY V. GANESAN 

Remember "I" in these paras refers to V. Ganeshan

" When I went to Ramanashram some people, for whom I had respect, often spoke ill of Kavyakantha. They claimed that his accounts were figments of his imagination. I was influenced by their views on the genius. Even today there is a lot of literature that portrays Kavyakantha in a poor light. I approached Munagala Venkataramaia, a distinguished scholar and one of the recorders of the talks with Bhagavan. Now, Munagala had not seen Kavyakantha and was therefore neutral about him. ―Why do people pull down Kavyakantha so much? I enquired, listing out all the transgressions he is rumored to have made. ―Ganesan, stop! he exclaimed. ―How did you know all this? I revealed the names of the people who told me this. He replied, ―They have given an opinion and you have received it. Are you sure it is the Truth? I was puzzled. ―How can we know which opinion is correct? I asked. Munagala then said, ―Whatever Bhagavan says is trustworthy.

I was still not satisfied. I had read a tiff that Kavyakantha was not a Self-realized soul because he had so many sankalpas. His detractors often quoted this too, and I was convinced by this logic. I put forth my argument to Munagala. He told me, ―I asked Bhagavan the same thing—how come it is written in such and such a book that Kavyakantha was not Self-realized. Bhagavan told me, ‗That is not what I said, but what the recorder must have expected me to say. Munagala then advised me, ―Go by whatever Bhagavan has said, and you will be near the Truth. Do not go by opinions, particularly if they divide people—whether saints or anyone else. Do not pay heed to them. Aspirants should never be carried away by negative statements made about any sage or saint. In order to progress, this is the first guideline to remember. What detractors say are just opinions and if we believe them, we fall victim to the mind.

It is true that Kavyakantha had very high ideals. However, they are not merely sankalpas, but satya sankalpas. A sankalpa is a concentrated desire of wanting to achieve something. A satya sankalpa is that sankalpa which comes to you—not that you have a desire for it. Kavyakantha had three satya sankalpas: His first sankalpa was that he wanted India to be free. Kavyakantha‘s second satya sankalpa was equal status for women in Indian society. With Christian and Muslim influences over many centuries, women were often subjugated and relegated to the kitchen. They were allowed no participation in society. However, Vedic culture stated that women must have equal rights. In the Vedic Age, many women like Vasishta‘s wife, Arundati, and Yajnavalkya‘s wife, Maitrayi, were considered jnanis or realized beings. Thirdly, he sought for Vedic culture to be revived. He placed these before Bhagavan. In 1908, Kavyakantha had asked Bhagavan, ―Is aspiring to the source of the I-thought sufficient for the attainment of all my aims, or is mass incantation or mantra japa needed?

Bhagavan replied, ―Aspiring to the source of the I-thought will suffice. Though this was the initial advice Bhagavan shared with him, Kavyakantha pressed on with his argument, ―What about my aims and ideals?‖ Bhagavan replied, ―It will be better if you throw the entire burden on the Lord. He will carry it, and you will be free. He will do his part.

Munagala Venkataramaia told me, ―People quote these sentences. But Bhagavan told me what happened afterward. At first, Kavyakantha could not grasp the inner meaning of Bhagavan‘s counsel. After a few years, he came to Bhagavan and said, ‗Bhagavan I am surrendering all my sankalpas at your holy feet.‘ There was no greater guru than Bhagavan for him. It is interesting to see how all three of Nayana‘s satya sankalpas were, in time, fulfilled. Nayana passed away in 1936, and India gained her independence in 1947. The Chief Minister of Madras State was a devotee of Bhagavan. Therefore he wanted the national flag to be hoisted not in the state capital Madras, but at Ramanashram. This created a furor in the state, but the Chief Minister adamantly said, ―I will go to my Master.‖ He approached Bhagavan and insisted, ―You must hoist the national flag. It is a little-known fact: to the delight of all present, Bhagavan hoisted the flag. Then he turned to my Teacher, T. K. Sundaresa Iyer and said, ―Our Nayana‘s sankalpa is fulfilled.

Nayana‘s second sankalpa was also fulfilled by Bhagavan when he recognized Maha Samadhi for a woman, his mother. At that time it defied Hindu tradition. Now we venerate Anandamayi Ma, Mother Krishna Bai, Godavari Maatha, Shobanamma and many others. The exalted status of these women sages and saints, amongst others, was accepted by Hindu society only after the advent of the Ramana Gita. Now Bhagavan‘s words are quoted: that there is no difference between male or female. We must not forget that it was Kavyakantha, because of whom this wisdom was drawn out from Bhagavan. His second sankalpa found further fulfillment when Ramanashram appointed a woman as its manager of the School for the Vedas. This was to Kavyakantha‘s credit. He also contributed to her predecessor Major Chadwick‘s appointment, as the Vedapathashala‘s first manager. Being a westerner, this was unthinkable back then in India.

Nayana and his disciples plied Bhagavan with questions. Though the answers were not immediately noted down, Nayana had such a clear memory that later he condensed Bhagavan‘s answers into verses and recited them, saying, ―This is from the third chapter of Ramana Gita, or ―This is the eighth verse from the second chapter in the Ramana Gita.‖ He had not yet written Ramana Gita and people used to wonder at his claims. Then, finally one day, he sat down and wrote the entire Ramana Gita of three hundred verses. He wrote the questions with their answers and showed them to Bhagavan, who verified each one of them and remarked, ―Perfectly correct.

Devotees of Bhagavan are universally grateful to Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni: Firstly, he was the one who recognized and shared with the Master his celebrated, sacred name. Secondly, he was the first person who persuaded our Master to start talking. Before him, Sivaprakasam Pillai, Gambhiram Seshayya, and others assumed Bhagavan was in formal silence and received Bhagavan‘s answers in writing. It was only to Kavyakantha that Bhagavan started giving answers orally. He was also the one who insisted that Bhagavan write a poem in Sanskrit in the arya meter. Bhagavan replied that he knew very little of Sanskrit and its meters. Kavyakantha explained the rules of the arya meter and repeated his request. A day later, Bhagavan presented to an amazed Kavyakantha, two flawless verses. Then, on the following day, he presented three more. These five verses are none other than Arunachala Pancharatnam, a hymn that is chanted daily in front of Bhagavan‘s Samadhi.

In the Ramana Gita, one of Bhagavan‘s answers about women is most revealing. Nayana questions Bhagavan, ―Are not women equal to men?‖ Bhagavan answers, ―What is woman or man? It is based on the body. For the soul, there is no difference.‖ Then Kavyakantha asks, ―Then is it possible for women to Master the scriptures?‖ Bhagavan replied, ―Without a doubt. Nayana went on, ―Can women get Self-realization? Do they become jnanis? ―Without a doubt, the guru said. ―For the soul, which has to achieve realization, there is no difference.

In 1922, when Bhagavan‘s mother realized Maha Samadhi, it was not Bhagavan who wanted to entomb her, glorify her, or build a temple for her. It was Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni who helped carry her body to the present Ramanashram. He told Bhagavan, ―According to the scriptures and your words in the Ramana Gita, she is a realized soul. Therefore, she should be entombed with all sanctity. He administered this task, and it was around her Samadhi that the Matrabhuteshwara temple in Ramanashram was constructed. He even assigned the temple its name: Matrabhuteshwara, meaning ―the Lord who has become the mother.‖ Thus, the idea of the temple, the nucleus, around which Ramanashram was built, came from Kavyakantha. We therefore owe a great deal to this saint, who silently and gracefully worked in the background all the while.

Kavyakantha was a lofty man. Due to his intense penance, his kundalini rose, and, according to the scriptures, when the kundalini goes to the sahasra, the crown of the head, its power passes through the head and reaches the sun. Kavyakantha did not want this. Being Bhagavan‘s disciple, he wanted the energy to go to the spiritual Heart. The phenomenon of the kundalini energy reaching the brain is called kapala bheda—kapala is the ―head‖ or ―skull and bheda is ―to break. This is the highest achievement in kundalini yoga. When the pain grew unbearable, he knew this was going to happen. He ran to Bhagavan, who placed his hand on his head. Kavyakantha said, ―The moment Bhagavan put his hand on my head, it was like cool moon rays raining down on me. The pain completely subsided. Prior to this, some of Bhagavan‘s other devotees reported to have seen a faint vapor-like substance rising from the top of his head.

My Teacher, T. K. Sundaresa Iyer, Kunju Swami, and Viswanatha Swami experienced another incident involving Bhagavan‘s grace upon Nayana. At one time, while doing penance in a Ganesa temple in Tiruvotiyur, near Chennai, Kavyakantha felt he was unable to progress spiritually. He prayed to Bhagavan, ―Help me! Help me! In response, he felt Bhagavan appearing before him, putting his hand on him, releasing him from his spiritual stagnation and then disappearing. Immediately Kavyakantha told his disciples about what happened. At the same time, Bhagavan at Skandashram collaborated, ―I was lying down, and all of a sudden, my body started floating. I heard the word ‗Tiruvotriyur‘ and walked in the main streets. I saw a Ganesa temple and entered it. Then, suddenly, I was back at Skandashram.

Then my Teacher, T. K. Sundaresa Iyer, asked, ―How did this happen, Bhagavan?‖ Bhagavan replied, ―It is the sankalpa of Nayana. It was not my desire to go. He continued, ―With this experience I also understood how Siddhas—the legendary sages and saints—would seem to travel in the astral realm. Perhaps it was the same for me. Still, it was not mine, but Kavyakantha‘s desire made it transpire.

One day when Bhagavan was coming down the hill along with Nayana, Sundaresa Iyer, as well as some other devotees, he suddenly stopped and said, ―Nayana, look at me right now! The sun, moon, stars, and planets are revolving around my waist. The onlookers could not see the spectacle but they did see Bhagavan‘s body glowing with brilliance. Overawed, the devotees prostrated in front of the Master and chanted the sacred Purusha Suktham, a chant sung by ancient sages, praising the Lord of the Universe, where the sun and the moon are described as the two eyes of the Lord.

Bhagavan vouchsafed that after the kapala bheda and Tiruvotriyur experiences, an electric current, Shaktipat, had begun to pass through Kavyakantha‘s body. Therefore he could not walk barefoot on the earth without getting an electric shock. He began to wear wooden slippers but would reverently take them off in his Master‘s presence. Bhagavan would compassionately say, ―Nayana is coming. He cannot walk barefoot. Place a nonconductor, a wooden plank, for him to sit on. Give him also a woolen blanket that he can walk on without getting a shock.‖ We must respect Bhagavan‘s relationship with Kavyakantha. How the Master looked upon his disciples is more important than how a fellow disciple looked upon another. A sincere saint like Bhagavan admired Nayana, and that is all aspirants and devotees of Bhagavan should consider. "

From: THE HUMAN GOSPEL OF RAMANA MAHARSHI AS SHARED BY V. GANESAN 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:45:58 PM by Child of Arunachala »