Author Topic: Pointers from Bhagwan - For Reading Only  (Read 6306 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Pointers from Bhagavan - For Reading Only
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
Pointer-16

TEACHING THE SIMPLE MINDED

When one group of villagers who had just been given Arunachala Stuti Panchakam [Bhagavan's five poems about Arunachala] to recite left the hall, a devotee asked,
'How can such uneducated people understand the literary Tarnil in these poems?
"They don't have to understand the meaning," replied Bhagavan, "they will get some benefit from merely repeating the verses."

I can think of another similar case. Whenever Echammal's
granddaughter came to see Bhagavan, he would ask her to read out loud Upadesa Undiyar [a thirty-verse philosophical work by Bhagavan in Tamil]. If she made any mistakes Bhagavan would correct her pronunciation.

Since she seemed to be a rather worldly girl I once asked
Bhagavan, This girl does not look as if she has any desire for
jnana. Why do you ask her to repeat Upadesa Undiyar each time she comes?'

Bhagavan explained: 'In future, when troubles come to her.
the remembrance of these verses will help her.'

This girl is now an old woman. When I saw her a few months ago?we had not seen each other for many years?I reminded her about these lessons that Bhagavan had given her.

She told me. The verses have stayed in my memory all my life,
hut it is only recently, by the grace of Bhagavan, that I have begun
to understand their meaning.'

ANNAMALAI SWAMI in:
'Living by the Words of Bhagavan', p 115

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the thread where you can discuss about what you read here :
It is called Pointers from Bhagwan - For Discussion

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7565.0
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:54:48 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Pointers from Bhagwan - For Reading Only
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
Pointer-17

SALUTATIONS - Real Meaning of Namaskara
6th April, 1948

At about 3 o?clock this afternoon a young boy, four or five years of age, came with his mother. She prostrated before Bhagavan and sat down. The boy prostrated likewise, but continued the salutations over and over again. Bhagavan laughed at that and told his attendants, ?Just see. He is prostrating to me over and over again. Perhaps he thinks that if he does so, he may afterwards do whatever he pleases.

He is a young lad. What does he know? He is just imitating his elders. He must however be rewarded. All that he wants is a plantain. If he gets it he will stop. Give him one.? On being given one, the boy went and sat down.

After some time, someone came and did sashtanga namaskara (reverential salutation by prostrating with all the eight limbs of the body touching the ground), but did not get up for a long time. People nearby finally made him get up. He somehow got up but began saluting again and again. He was ultimately prevailed upon to stop saluting and sit down.

Bhagavan told the people near him: ?Namaskara means prostration a number of times according to some. What can be done? The real meaning of namaskara is the dissolving of the mind.?

?What is the meaning of sashtanga namaskara, Bhagavan?? asked the devotee. ?It means that eight limbs of the body, namely, two hands, two legs, two arms, chest and forehead, touch the ground while saluting. The idea behind this type of obeisance is that the person doing it says, ?the body which touches the earth, will resolve itself into that earth ultimately, and the ?I? in me will continue to be ?I? alone?. That idea must be known to oneself by enquiry. Without knowing it, there is no use in doing these.

With meaningless namaskaras people want to secure all the benefits: ?Swami must give them whatever they desire, be it a bag of clothes or money.? Whenever they do namaskara, I feel afraid. I must be beholden to them. I must act according to their wishes. I must fulfill all their desires. I must conduct myself carefully after knowing their minds. Not only that. Just by bowing to me, they get a sort of right over me.

When people like us suffer like this, what about Ishwara himself? He must be beholden to ever so many; he must act according to the wishes of people; he must give boons to people. When swamitvam itself has so many troubles, what about Ishwaratvam? If anyone refrains from prostrating before me, I feel very happy because I need not be beholden to him. A Jnani need not prostrate before anybody nor need he give his blessings to anybody. That is because his mind remains always submerged. He is deemed to be doing namaskara at all times. Some people feel offended when they prostrate before a Jnani and he does not respond with another namaskara nor even raise his hand and bless them. But the fact is, before the others have prostrated, the Jnani will have already prostrated lower, his mind having been dissolved. Even blessing (asirvadam) is similar. The submerging of the mind itself is a blessing. The Jnani?s mind remains always submerged. That being so, who is the one to bless? What is it that is done?? said Bhagavan.

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

It is called Pointers from Bhagavan - For Discussion
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:57:13 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »
Pointer-18

BREATH CONTROL

In the afternoon Krishna Jivrajani said to Bhagavan, ?During sadhana I feel that something in me is going up. Is that right or should it go down??

Bhagavan: Never mind whether anything goes up or down. Does it exist without you? Never forget that. Whatever experience may come remember who has the experience and thus cling to ?I? or the Self.

Jivrajani: Bhagavan has said one must dive deep into oneself like pearl divers with breath and speech controlled and discover the Self or attain the Self. So does Bhagavan advise me to practice breath-control?

Bhagavan: Breath-control is a help in controlling the mind and is advised for such as find they cannot control the mind without some such aid. For those who can control their mind and concentrate, it is not necessary. It can be used at the beginning until one is able to control the mind, but then it should be given up. Since mind and prana rise from the same source, control of one gives control of the other also.

Jivrajani: Is it good to strain to achieve breath-control?
Bhagavan: No, straining is not good. Only a little pranayama should be done at the beginning ? as much as is possible without undue strain.

Day by Day

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Pointer-19

Self-enquiry practice from 'BE AS YOU ARE'

Question: I want to be further enlightened. Should I try to make no efforts at all?
Sri Ramana Maharshi: Here it is impossible for you to be without effort. When you go deeper, it is impossible for you to make any effort. If the mind becomes introverted through enquiry into the source of Aham-Vritti (ego-sense), the Vasanas (mental tendencies) become extinct. The light of the Self falls on the Vasanas and produces the phenomenon of reflection we call the mind. Thus, when the Vasanas become extinct the mind also disappears, being absorbed into the light of the one reality, the Heart. This is the sum and substance of all that an aspirant needs to know. What is imperatively required of him is an earnest and one-pointed enquiry into the source of the Aham-Vritti.

Edited by David Godman

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
Pointer-20

Talk 235

Mr.T.K.S Iyer, a disciple, was excited because someone in the town had spoken disparagingly of the Master. He did not retort and came away excited. So he asked Master what penalty should ba paid for his failure to defend him.

Maharshi :
Patience, more patience; tolerence, more tolerence!

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »
Pointer - 21
Bhagavan on Mind

Talk 238

In answer to some question Maharshi said :
There is a state when words cease and silence prevails.

D :
How to communicate thought to each other?

M :
That is only when there is the notion of two.

D :
How to get peace?

M :
That is the natural state. The mind obstruct the innate peace. Our investigation is only in the mind. Investigate the mind; it will disappear.

There is no entity by name mind. Because of the emergence of thoughts we surmise something from which they start. That we term mind. When we probe to see what it is, there is nothing like it. After it has vanished, Peace will be found to remain eternal.

D :
What is buddhi (intellect)?

M :
The thinking or discriminating faculty. These are mere names. Be it the ego, the mind or the intellect, it is all the same. Whose mind? Whose intellect? The ego's. Is the ego real? No. We confound the ego and call it intellect or mind.

D :
Emerson says, Soul answers soul by itself-not by description of words.

M :
Quite so. However much you learn, there will be no bounds to knowledge. You ignore the doubter but try to solve the doubts. On the other hand, hold on to the doubter and the doubts will disppear.

D :
Then the question resolves itself to knowing the Self.

M :
Quite so.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:12:26 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 07:18:47 AM »
Pointer-22

How to check the Mind

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi

D :
How to check the mind?

Maharshi :
Will a thief betray himself? Will the mind find itself? The mind cannot seek the mind. You have ignored what is real and are holding on to the mind which is unreal and also trying to find what it is. Was there mind in your sleep? It was not. It is now here. It is therefore impermanent. Can the mind be found by you? The mind is not you. You think you are the mind and therefore ask me how it is checked. If it is there it can be checked. But it is not. Understand this truth by search. Search for unreality is fruitless. Therefore seek the reality, i.e., the self. That is the way to rule over the mind.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »
Pointer-23

Bhagavan on Speech  v/s Silence

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharahi

D :
Why does not Sri Bhagavan go about preach the Truth to the people at large?

M :
How do you know that I am not doing it? Does preaching consist in mounting a platform and haranguing to the people around? Preaching is simple comunication of knowledge. It may be done in Silence too.

What do you think of a man listening to a harangue for an hour and going away without being impressed by it so as to change his life? Compare him with another who sits in a holy presence and leaves after some

time with his outlook on life totally changed. Which is better :
To preach loudly without effect or to sit silently sending forth intuitive forces to play on others?

Again how does speech arise? There is abstract knowledge (unmanifest). From it there rises the ego which gives rise to thoughts and words successively. So then :

Abstract Knowledge
|
Ego
|
Thoughts
|
Words

Words are therefore the great grandson of the original source. If words can produce an effect, how much more powerful should be preaching through silence be? Judge for yourself.

Note :

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:38:53 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Pointer-24

Annamalai Swami on the dangers of giving reality to the mind

CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Q: It is fairly easy to stop a thief from breaking into a house. You just lock the door. But in this particular case the thief is already inside! First we have to catch him and throw him out. Only then can we safely close the door.
AS: To believe that this thief is something real, something that has to be fought and caught, is just like believing that your shadow is some kind of alien intruder who needs to be fought and expelled.
If you try to raise your hand to hit your shadow, your shadow will also raise its hand to hit you. You cannot win a fight with your mind because all your fights will be like shadow-boxing.
You cannot knock out your shadow by hitting it because there is nothing there to receive the blow. The shadow will keep dancing around for as long as you keep dancing around trying to hit it.
There are no winners in a fight like this, only a lot of frustrated
losers. If you start from the assumption that the mind is real and that you have to fight it and control it by manipulating your thoughts in some way, the ego mind will get stronger, not weaker. If a particular sadhana assumes that the mind is real, the practicing of that sadhana will perpetuate the mind rather than eliminate it.

- LWB

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
Pointer - 25 

Bhagavan on Different types of Meditators

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 09:05:06 AM »

Pointer-26

Bhagavan on the role of Guru

CONSCIOUS IMMORTALITY

Meditation on the guru's face or form is only for beginners, Advanced disciples should concentrate inwards on the Self. This is equal to meditating on the guru, for he is one with the Self.

Q: Can the guru enable a disciple to realize the Self by transmitting his own power to him?

M: Yes. But the guru does not bring about realization; he merely removes the obstacles to it, for the Self is always realized.

P 135

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
Pointer-26

NON-PARTIALITY

A devotee while taking leave of Bhagavan said, ?Swami, I am going far away from you. The devotees who are staying in the Ashram are enjoying the bliss of your company every minute. Please accept me also in the same manner.?

Bhagavan replied, ?Everyone thinks that special grace is bestowed on the devotees who stay here. If there is such a preference how can he be a jnani? is he so foolish as to be flattered by the people's attendance on him and the service they do? The Lord is bound to protect a person who has surrendered to Him.

In fact one who has surrendered need not even pray; the Lord always remains close extending His protection. The frog stays near the lotus but it is only the bees that suck the honey of the flowers, from whatever distance they may come from.?

- Shantammal, lady cook, Face to Face

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »
Pointer -27

Q.:
Sri Bhagavan said last night that God is guiding us.
Then why should we make an effort
to do anything?

M.:
Who asks you to do so?
If there was that faith in the guidance of God
this question would not have arisen.
Q.:
The fact is that God guides us.
Then what is the use of these instructions to people?
M.:
They are for those who seek instructions.
If you are firm in your belief
in the guidance of God,
stick to it,
and do not concern yourself
with what happens around you.
Furthermore,
there may be happiness or misery.
Be equally indifferent to both
and abide in the faith of God.
That will be so
only when one?s faith is strong
that God looks after all of us.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
Pointer-28

SAYINGS OF ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Don?t regard the abidance in the ?I am? as a part-time activity. You must have a life long commitment to get yourself established in it.
At all times keep moving back to the ?I am?, your source, and do not let anything divert or distract you from this.
The ?I am? in its absolute purity is the infinite and formless, so when you abide in it you discover the infinite eye of the Self.
If you can hold on to the knowledge ?I am? at all times, no further practice or initiation will be necessary.

- LWB

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
Pointer-29

SAYINGS OF ANNAMALAI SWAMI
The ?I am? is present in all and not confined only to those who follow this particular teaching and Guru.
The intensity with which you meditate ?I am? will take you to your real Self as there is nothing else other than it.
To constantly mediate ?I am? is the only way. If this is not continuous enough the other part of the mind becomes predominant.

- LWB