Author Topic: Pointers from Bhagwan - For Reading Only  (Read 6307 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Pointers from Bhagwan - For Reading Only
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
Dear All

I just wanted  to open a thread about certain select pointers from Bahgwan's life , Bhagwan's teachings and Devotees experience with Bhagwan  that I get as updates regularly from some sites related to Bhagwan .This thread is only for contemplative reading and I will open another thread for discussions on the same .

Here is the thread where you can discuss about what you read here :

It is called Pointers from Bhagwan - For Discussion
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7565.0

Pointer- 1
THE POWER OF THE PRESENCE OF A JNANI

One day when I was sitting by the side of Sri Bhagavan, I felt so miserable that I put the following question to him: ‘Is the sankalpa [wish] of the jnani not capable of warding off the destinies of the devotees?’

Bhagavan smiled and said: ‘Does the jnani have a sankalpa at all? The jivanmukta can have no sankalpas whatsoever. It is just impossible.’

I continued: ‘Then, what is the fate of all of us who pray to you to have grace on us and save us? Will we not be benefited or saved by sitting in front of you or coming to you? What use is there then for family men like me to gain by coming here to you?’

Bhagavan turned graciously to me and said: ‘Just as a trouble (or arrow) that comes to destroy the head goes away carrying with it only the turban, so a person’s bad karma will be considerably reduced while he is in the presence of a jnani. A jnani has no sankalpa but his sannidhi [presence] is the most powerful force. He need not have sankalpa but his presiding presence, the most powerful force, can do wonders, save souls, give peace of mind, even liberation to ripe souls. Your prayers are not answered by him but absorbed by his presence. His presence saves you, wards off the karma and gives you the boons as the case may be, involuntarily. The jnani does save the devotees, but not by sankalpa, which is non-existent in him, only through his presiding presence, sannidhi.’
(The Mountain Path, 1968 p. 236)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:44:02 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Pointers from Bhagwan - For Reading Only
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Pointer-2

FREEDOM FROM KARMA

The purport of the statement, ‘For those who dwell in the firmament [of consciousness] there is no prarabdha,’ is that not even an iota of prarabdha will exist for those who meditate unceasingly on the subtle space of consciousness that flourishes everywhere unobstructed, and which cannot be encompassed even by the vast physical space.

Prarabdha, like a whirlwind, relentlessly agitates and spins the mind that has shrunk through the ‘I am the body’ idea. However, it cannot stir, even slightly, the limitation-free mind that shines as the extremely clear space of being-consciousness when that ego-impurity [the ‘I am the body’ idea] is destroyed by self-enquiry.

It is impossible for the jiva who has become a victim of ego-delusion to overcome even slightly the force of prarabdha. Therefore, unless he subsides in the Heart by relying primarily on God’s grace, he can never, by mere effort, which is the activity of the rising ego, overcome the buffeting momentum of that prarabdha, subside by himself [in the Heart], attain Self-realisation and be freed from fear-causing delusion.

No one can do anything that is opposed to the ordinance of the Supreme Lord who possesses unlimited power and who can do anything. Therefore, to end the illusory anxieties of the mind, which engender an evil discontent, the proper course is to remain under the spell of supreme consciousness, which arises from meditating on the divine feet, with the mischief of the ego subdued.

Siva shines within each jiva as a witness, [enabling] him [the jiva] to experience his prarabdha through his [Siva’s] presence. Whoever knows his nature to be mere being-consciousness, without imagining through ignorance that he is the experiencer of prarabdha, shines as that supreme person, Siva.

Guru Vachaka Kovai (697, 698, 300, 1191, 151) 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:31:37 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
Pointer -3

THE DOOR TO GOD IS OPEN, BUT THE LINTEL IS VERY LOW.
TO ENTER, ONE HAS TO BEND

Two women came from Kumbakonam to meet Bhagavan. One of them was a guru and the other her disciple. They were leaving by train the same evening. In the afternoon the disciple brought her guru into the Hall and made an elaborate seat for her in front of Bhagavan. Every now and then the disciple would go up to Bhagavan's sofa and whisper. "In everything, she is just like you, Swami...she is in the same state as yourself.... Please let us have your blessings.... Will you teach us briefly the path of salvation? What is attachment? How to be free from Maya?" She was going on like this for quite a long time. Bhagavan never replied. Evening was nearing. The disciple felt hurt. "Swami, please instruct us...Swami, proceed with initiation quickly, it is getting late.... Be quick, Swami. You know we have to catch the train. Hurry!" The poor lady was getting desperate. "At least tell us something. They all speak of ignorance, what is ignorance?" Bhagavan turned to Muruganar and, in his mercy, said: "Ask her to inquire within. Who is ignorant?" Muruganar told them: "Now you go, your initiation is over." And they went away.

Bhagavan talked about it later: "Everything must be done in a hurry. Everybody has some train to catch. They visit Swami in a rush and want to carry away a parcel of liberation. They read something here and there and think they are quite learned." (Whenever there was a chance to snub our ego, Bhagavan would never miss it). He continued: "Before the people come here, everyone has the most sincere desire to work for his own liberation, but when they settle down, the ego goes to their heads and they forget why they came. They imagine they are doing me great service by feeding me and think altogether too much of themselves. The feeling of self-importance that they have when they serve their guru destroys their hope of enlightenment. Only humility can destroy the ego. The ego keeps you far away from God. The door to God is open, but the lintel is very low. To enter one has to bend.

- SHANTAMMA, in Ramana Smriti

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
Pointer- 4

THOUGHTS THAT ARISE DURING MEDITATION

Among a collection of many kinds of small seeds, it is impossible to detect and remove the thorn-seeds.
Only after all the seeds have sprouted in the form of plants is it possible to detect the thorn-plants, and thereby to pluck them out and throw them away.

Similarly, only if all the tendencies or vasanas which are hiding in the heart sprout out in the form of thoughts during the time of your meditation, will it be possible to destroy them by the practice of Self-inquiry. Hence, the rising of thoughts during the time of meditation is good.

Note: Compare Maharshi's Gospel, Page 19, where Sri Bhagavan says:

“Yes, all kinds of thoughts arise in meditation. That is only right; for what lies hidden in you is brought out. Unless it rises up, how can it be destroyed?”

The tendencies (vasanas) are the seeds, and the thoughts that rise are the plants.

The Grace of God or Guru is the water that makes the vasanas sprout in the form of thoughts. (here we can see how attention is itself a Light which lights up darkened corners of our minds)
Then in order to destroy those thoughts, which exist in the form of desires, that same Grace crushes them by the power of the clear discrimination that it bestows upon us.
Therefore, until you achieve victory in this war of Grace, do not become disheartened and give up your meditation.

All thoughts that we have cultivated due to our worldly desires in many former lives when we did not possess proper discrimination, have been accumulated in our heart in the form of very powerful tendencies (vasanas).

Those vasanas exist in the form of likes and dislikes, and they will be destroyed only to the extent to which we abide firmly in the Self.

Note: Compare Who am I? (Nan Yar?), paragraph 10, where Sri Bhagavan says,

“Although tendencies toward sense-objects (vishaya-vasanas), which have been coming from the ancient past, rise without limit like the waves of the ocean, they will all be destroyed when Self-attention (swarupa-dhyana) becomes more and more intense.”
- SADHU OM in 'Sadhanai Saram'

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:04:08 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
Pointer- 5

ATMANANDA MEETS BHAGAVAN

Atmananda was a young, accomplished Austrian musician called Blanca Schlamm, whose interest in Theosophy first took her on a visit to India in 1925 at the age of twenty-one. She later became an ardent follower of J. Krishnamurti and returned to India in 1935 to teach at the Krishnamurti School near Benares. By 1942 she became despondent and left the school in search of a means to assuage the inner crisis that had engulfed her. This brought her to the Maharshi from whom she sought clarity, peace and direction. From the excerpts of her diary below it is apparent that during her six-week stay in Tiruvannamalai she was granted that, and more.

The diaries of Atmananda were edited by Ram Alexander and published by Indica Books under the title "Death Must Die". The book contains the intimate story of a sincere seeker who ultimately finds her way to peace and security under the loving guidance of Anandamayi Ma. Atmananda died in Benares in 1985 and at her funeral was given the utmost honor and respect accorded a sanyasini of the highest order.

Ramanashram, Tiruvannamalai, 17 May 1942

I left Benares on the 10th May. As the train approached Tiruvannamalai, I suddenly felt blissfully happy, thinking, 'Now all struggle is over, there will be only peace. The prodigal son has returned to his father's house.' After some time this passed.

31 May, 1942 - Questions for Ramana:

(1) If the mind seems utterly confused and muddled, what is the first step in order to get clear?

(2) In one of the books of your dialogues you say that such thoughts as "Is this a good thing to do or is that" should not be allowed. How can one live and decide without such considerations?

(3) At times I am completely at peace and at other times all restlessness. There seems no connection at all between these two conditions. Why is that?

3 June, 1942

Answer to question No.2: "If you surrender to the Supreme Will, there will be no question of decision or choice."

Question: But I don't know the Supreme Will. I do not know to whom to surrender. How do I know the Supreme? I may deceive myself.

Answer:
It is the mind that deceives itself. At least you must admit that you exist. Either you accept the Supreme or at least enquire into the true nature of your self. Who are you? Knowing or not knowing belongs to the mind and therefore all your so called 'knowledge' is really ignorance. You identify yourself with the mind and that is the cause of the confusion. Enquire more deeply into the true nature of your individuality (i.e., Who is it that possesses a mind?). In fact, if you perceive that the mind does not exist at all, then it will vanish along with the confusion, and what truly is will stand revealed. When you look at your reflection in the water and believe it to be an accurate representation of yourself, then you are troubled when the movement of the water disturbs the reflection. But when you realize that this has no reality to it, then your worries cease. You cannot get rid of your shadow, but you need not believe that it is who you really are.

Question:
I feel as if I were two and not one.

Answer: No, there is only the Self, there cannot be two. But if you focus only on the form of the bangle, you may forget that it is made of gold. Yet the form of the bangle is dependent on the gold. It cannot exist without it and ceases to exist when the gold is melted down; but the gold itself remains constant. By deluding yourself into identifying solely with the mind, you deny your true Self. This is worse than suicide, because in suicide you only kill the body; but here you are murdering the Self. Seek the Self and the ego will vanish.

By solving one mind-created problem you only create new ones. When you cut off one leaf, four new ones sprout out. Only by killing the root of the tree, can you prevent the leaves from growing.

17 June 1942

Question: When I asked you how to solve the problems of life, you said "Self surrender." How can one surrender without danger until Self realization has been achieved, as the mind may create its own God to surrender to? The most cruel things in the world are done in the name of God.

Maharshi: The mind and all of its creations come from the same source. Self-enquiry and Self-surrender are the same. As you proceed in Self-enquiry you automatically surrender (as you become nearer to the Divine Source).The person that surrenders to a mind-created God will have to bear the consequences of his actions and suffer for them. But even the thought of God, however false, will take you to the Supreme Truth of the Self ultimately. The man who has realized, knows that the thought of a separate God is utterly false. But until then one cannot help it. When you are totally still, you are the Self. When we think, we are forgetting God. Self-enquiry leads back to Him (who is none other than the Self).

Question: Ultimately, but it may take a long time!

Maharshi: There is no time. You may have it even now.

Someone else's question: If the Self is one, why is it necessary to approach a Guru?

Maharshi: In reality it is not necessary, but because we are dreaming on the physical plane, the presence of the realized man is necessary to wake us up - to remind us of ourselves. When the proud elephant dreams that a lion comes, he gets a shock and wakes up suddenly. As we are all dreaming, the help of the Guru, within this dream, is necessary in order to force us to wake up. The eyes of the Guru disperse the dream.

Question:
The physical eyes?

Maharshi: There are only 'eyes', not physical or otherwise.

Miss Merston's question: From where does the 'resolve' come to start the Self-enquiry?

Maharshi: From the mind, like all other thoughts. But by having only one single thought, this thought finally also gets absorbed. You need not follow your thoughts; the more you think the more thoughts there will be. But rather take each thought back to its source. That is surrender and enquiry at the same time.

Questioner:
Why are you unable to refuse when others prevail on you for this or that? Are you not free of karma and therefore able to do as you like?

Maharshi: There are three types of karma:
(1) Made by one's own actions and desires.
(2) Inevitable karma like Government - world circumstances beyond your personal control.
(3) The karma of others taken on himself by the man who is free of his own karma.
Questioner: Is it like Christ, who suffers for the sins of others?

Maharshi: Yes. There is no freedom, it [freedom] is merely a word (i.e., even Christ or the realised saint still must fulfill his destiny outwardly, although inwardly he is fully liberated).

Questioner: Yesterday my old agony of restlessness returned, and with it my fear. I had back ache, head ache and tummy ache and utter misery. This in turn made me resentful at feeling somewhat bound. But this morning I suddenly got back my peace after deciding to talk to Bhagavan and to ask him why I can't get rid of my egotistical resistance. As I asked him the question tears came. The answer was: "Take the resistance into your heart and keep it there."

From the Ashtavakra Gita:
"When the mind is freed from such pairs of opposites as 'this is done' and 'this is not done' it becomes indifferent to religious merit, worldly prosperity, desire for sensual enjoyment and for liberation.

"The one who abhors sense objects avoids them, and one who covets them becomes attached to them. But he who does not accept or reject, is neither unattached nor attached.

"He who has an egoistic feeling even towards liberation and considers even the body as his own is neither an jnani nor a yogi. He only suffers misery."

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2003/?pg=may-jun

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »
Pointer-6

Fate and Free Will :

"Forgetfulness or non-forgetfulness is not a part of your destiny. It is something you choose from moment to moment. That is what Bhagavan [Ramana Maharshi] said. He said that you have the freedom either to identify with the Self and have the understanding that the body is performing its predestined activities, animated and sustained by the power of the Self, or you can identify with the activities of the body and the mind, and in doing so forget the Self. If you choose the latter course, don't blame God or God's will, or predestination. God did not make you forget the Self. You yourself are making that choice every second of your life.""*

Annamalai Swami

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:36:03 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
Pointer-7

D: Is solitude necessary for a seeker?

Maharshi: Solitude is in the mind of a man. One might be in the thick of the world and yet maintain perfect serenity of mind; such a person is always in solitude. Another may stay in the forest, but still be unable to control his mind. He cannot be said to be in solitude. Solitude is an attitude of the mind; a man attached to the things of life cannot get solitude, wherever he may be. A detached man is always in solitude.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
Pointer- 8
Reegarding what Meditate on the Self means by Annamalai Swami

Bhagavan once said to me :’The one who limits the Self by believing himself to be the body and the mind has ‘killed’ his own Self. For killing the Self he has to be punished. The punishment is birth and death and continuous misery.

Q.: Is the ending of misery determined by prarabdha karma, or can we bring it nearer by personal effort?

Annamalai Swami: The misery comes to an end only by realizing the Self, not by any other means.

Q: Can this happen at any time?

AS: Here and now you are already the Self. You don’t need time to realize it, all you need is correct understanding. Each moment you identify yourself with the body and the mind, you are going in the direction of ego and misery. The moment you give up that identification, you are moving towards your real Self, towards happiness.

Q: … If I try to generate this feeling ‘I am the Self’’ it will not be the real thing. It will be just another idea in the mind. Can thinking about this idea really help me?

AS: When I say, ‘Meditate on the Self’ I am asking you to be the Self, not think about it. Be aware of what remains when thoughts stop. Be aware of the consciousness that is the origin of all your thoughts. Be that consciousness. Feel that this is what you really are. If you do this you are meditating on the Self. But if you cannot stabilize in that consciousness because your vasanas are too strong and too active, it is beneficial to hold onto the thought, ‘I am the Self; I am everything.’ If you meditate in this way you will not be cooperating with the vasanas that are blocking your Self-awareness. If you don’t cooperate with them, sooner or later they are bound to leave you.
If this method doesn’t appeal to you, then just watch the mind with full attention. Whenever the mind wanders, become aware of it. See how thoughts connect with each other and watch how this ghost called mind catches hold of all your thoughts, saying,’ This is my thought. ‘ Watch the ways of the mind without identifying with them in any way. If you give your mind your full, detached attention, you begin to understand the futility of all mental activities. Watch the mind wandering here and there, seeking out useless and unnecessary things or ideas, which will ultimately only create misery for itself. Watching the mind gives us a knowledge of its inner processes. It gives us an incentive to stay detached from all our thoughts. Ultimately, if we try hard enough, it gives us the ability to remain as consciousness, unaffected by transient thoughts.

– ‘Living by the Words of Bhagavan’, p. 283

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:11:35 PM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »

Pointer - 9
WHO TALKS ABOUT THE VEIL?

D: The Upanishads say, I am told, that he alone knows
the Atman whom the Atman chooses. Why should
the Atman choose at all? If it chooses, why some
particular person?

M: When the sun rises, some buds alone blossom, not
all. Do you blame the sun for that? Nor can the bud
blossom of itself, it requires the sunlight to do it.

D: May we not say that the help of the Atman is needed
because it is the Atman that drew over itself the veil
of maya?

M: You may say so.

D: If the Atman has drawn the veil over itself, should it
not itself remove the veil?

M: It will do so. See for whom is the veil.

D: Why should I? Let the Atman itself remove the veil!

M: If the Atman talks about the veil, then the Atman
itself will remove it.

Maharshi’s Gospel

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
Pointer-10

NO SPIRITUAL CONCEPTS NEEDED

D : Should we not find out the ultimate reality of the world as individual and God?

B : These are conceptions of the ‘I’. They arise only after the advent of the ‘I’-thought. Did you think of them in deep sleep? Yet you existed in sleep, and the same ‘you’ is speaking now. If they were real, would they not exist in your sleep also? They are dependent on the ‘I’-thought. Again, does the world tell you: ‘I am the world’? Does the body say: ‘I am the body’? You say: ‘This is the world’ ‘this is the body’, and so on. So these are only your conceptions. Find out who you are, and that will be the end of all doubts.

D : What becomes of the body after realisation? Does it continue to exist or not? We see realised people performing actions like other people.

B.: This question need not worry you now. You can ask it after realisation if you feel like it. As for realised beings, let them take care of themselves. Why do you worry about them? In fact, after realisation, neither the body nor anything else will appear different from the Self.

D : If we are always Being-Consciousness-Bliss, why does God place us in difficulties? Why did He create us?

B.: Does God come and tell you that He placed you in difficulties? It is you who say so. It is the false ‘I’ again. If that disappears, there will be no one to say that God created this or that. That which is, does not even say ‘I am’. For does any doubt arise that ‘I am not?’ Only if a doubt arose whether one was a cow or a buffalo would one have to remind oneself that one is not an animal but a man; but this never happens. It is the same with one’s own existence and realization.

Self-enquiry, Teachings of Ramana Maharshi in his own words.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
Pointer - 11

INFLUENCE OF GUNAS

A man from Cocanada asked: “My mind remains clear for two or three days and turns dull for the next two or three days; and so it alternates. What is it due to?”
M.: It is quite natural; it is the play of brightness (satva), activity (rajas) and darkness (tamas) alternating. Do not regret the tamas; but when satva comes into play, hold on to it fast and make the best of it.

Talk 52.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
Pointer - 12

JNANA IS NOT EASY

Bhagavan sometimes said that Self-knowledge, that is, attaining the state of the jnani, is an easy thing because we are already the Self and consequently are already realized. At other times he would admit that attaining such a state is very difficult. To illustrate the later attitude I can offer the following exchange. A woman came and had Bhagavan's darshan. When she was ready to leave, she asked him, 'Bhagavan, my mind is wandering in many directions. What shall I do?'
Bhagavan advised her, 'Let it go in only on in one direction.'
After she had left, I asked him, 'If that is possible, what more do we want? That is jnana itself, is it not?'
'Well, what am I to do or say?' asked Bhagavan. 'As soon as people come here they want to become jnanis. They think it is quite easy. They do not realize the difficulty in it.'

-Rangan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
Pointer-13

Different ways of Bhagavan's replies

When talking about Bhagavan and the various things that he said, there will always appear contradictions in his teachings, but this is solely because he had to speak from two points of view. His real teaching, which never wavered, was that there is nothing but the SELF. He saw everything as just That and nothing else. But most people were unable to accept this. They wanted it to be expanded, so some explanations were necessary and to make such explanations he had to speak from the questioner's limited point of view.

~ Sadhu Arunachala (Alan Chadwick)

...from: `A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi’

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »
Pointer-14

TROUBLES AND DIFFICULTIES

Once someone asked Bhagavan Ramana: "Even for one who walks on good path, gets all sorts of troubles and tribulations, why?"

Bhagavan Ramana replied:

"It is good that devotees get troubles and tribulations."Then He took out a poem from Guhai Namasviaya and read out:

"The washerman smashes the clothes on the stone slab vigorously.Why? Is it for tearing the clothes?It is only for removing the dirt on the clothes.Like that, God gives troubles to the devotees only to purify their minds and not to annihilate them."

He continued:"What we need is perseverance( Persistent determination) and chitta suddhi."

TALK 197

Devotee.: Being always Being-Consciousness -Bliss, why does God place us in difficulties? Why did He create us?

Maharshi : Does God come and tell you that He has placed you in difficulties? It is you who say so. It is again the wrong ‘I’. If that disappears there will be no one to say that God created this or that.

Sources:

1) Sri Ramana Ninaivugal - Tamil - Annaamalai Swami.
2) Talks With Ramana Maharshi Book

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Pointer - 15

PROFESSOR KRISHNAMURTI ABOUT BHAGAVAN

Prof Krishnamurti Aiyer, an enlightened professor of physics said about Bhagavan:

" I observed the personal habits of Bhagavan and tried to follow his example. One noticed in Bhagavan's daily life, personal cleanliness, tidiness of dress, habitual wearing of vibhuti and kumkum on the forehead; equal sharing of all enjoyments with those around one; strict adherence to a time schedule; doing useful work however 'low' it be; never leaving a work unfinished; the pursuit of perfection in every action; ... never considering oneself superior to others; speaking the truth always, or strict silence if the expression of a truth would hurt or lower the reputation of others; perfect self-help, never asking another to do a piece of work which can be done by oneself; taking full responsibility for failure, if any, without shifting the blame on others; accepting success and failure with equanimity; never disturbing the peace of another; leaving the leaf-plate or plate clean after eating; complete non-interference in the affairs of others..."