Author Topic: Jnani and Vijnani  (Read 2200 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Jnani and Vijnani
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
From Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
"The jnani gives up his identification with worldly things, discriminating, 'Not this, not this'. Only then can he realize Brahman. It is like reaching the roof of a house by leaving the steps behind, one by one. But the vijnani, who is more intimately acquainted with Brahman, realizes something more. He realizes that the steps are made of the same materials as the roof: bricks, lime, and brick-dust. That which is realized intuitively as Brahman, through the eliminating process of 'Not this, not this', is then found to have become the universe and all its living beings. The vijnani sees that the Reality which is nirguna, without attributes, is also saguna, with attributes.

A man cannot live on the roof a long time. He comes down again. Those who realize Brahman in samadhi come down also and find that it is Brahman that has become the universe and its living beings. In the musical scale there are the notes sa, re ga, ma, pa, dha, and ni; but one cannot keep one's voice on 'ni' a long time. The ego does not vanish altogether. The man coming down from samadhi perceives that it is Brahman that has become the ego, the universe, and all living beings. This is known as vijnana."

Who can say better? I wish and pray I at least rise to the level of even comprehending 10% of the state that Bhagawan Sri Ramakrishna was ever present ... Reading Gospel was a big thurderbolt for me - honestly. All my "intellectual understanding" blasted like a nuclear bomb blasted right below the chair I was sitting.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Jnani and Vijnani
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
sanjaya,
Thanks very much for sharing from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.The more and more we soak ourselves in its shoreless waters,the more and more it rids us of all vanities and intellectual baggage and replaces it with true earnestness and zeal.The satsangh that it offers in ushering us to the direct presence of the Master is something that will grow on us.
The more we swin in these waters,the more and more we will enjoy the Beauty,love,wisdom,humanity,Humour -all vividly portrayed.This is srimad Bhagavatham in every sense of the word.
One of the most adorable aspect we find is when the Master will ask 'M' innocuously -'What do you think of me'?The charming answers that 'M' gives from the depth of his heart are always a Revelation for us and gives us a peep into that wonderful Being that manifested as Sri Ramakrishna.This is a unique way that Sri Ramakrishna facilitated the Disciples to plumb their depths!
Here is such an excerpt:
"The universe is conscious on account of the Consciousness of God. Sometimes I find that
this Consciousness wriggles about, as it were, even in small fish."
The carriage came to the crossing at Shovabazar in Calcutta. The Master continued, saying,
"Sometimes I find that the universe is saturated with the Consciousness of God, as the earth
is soaked with water in the rainy season.
"Well, I see so many visions, but I never feel vain about them."
M. (with a smile): "That you should speak of vanity, sir!"
MASTER: "Upon my word, I don't feel vanity even in the slightest degree."
M: "There once lived a man in Greece, Socrates by name. A voice from heaven said that he
was wise among men. Socrates was amazed at this revelation. He meditated on it a long
time in solitude and then realized its significance. He said to his friends, 'I alone of all
people have understood that I do not know anything.' But every man believes he is wise. In
reality all are ignorant."
MASTER: "Now and then I think, 'What is it I know that makes so many people come to
me?' Vaishnavcharan was a great pundit. He used to say to me: 'I can find in the scriptures
all the things you talk about. But do you know why I come to you? I come to hear them
from your mouth.'
"
M: "All your words tally with the scriptures. Navadvip Goswami also said that the other
day at the festival at Panihati. You told us that day that by repeating the word 'Gita' a
number of times one reverses it and it becomes 'tagi', which refers to renunciation.
Renunciation is the essence of the Gita. Navadvip Goswami supported your statement from
the grammatical standpoint."
MASTER: "Have you found anyone else resembling me-any pundit or holy man?"
M: "God has created you with His own hands, whereas He has made others by machine. All
others He has created according to law
."
MASTER (laughing, to Ramlal and the other devotees): "Listen to what he is saying!"
Sri Ramakrishna laughed for some time, and said at last. "Really and truly I have no pride no,
not even the slightest bit."
M: "Knowledge does us good in one respect at least; it makes us feel that we do not know
anything, that we are nothing."

MASTER: "Right you are! I am nothing. I am nobody.

Sadhana is to know that we are nothing.This is definitely possible for all of us.
Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
M: "God has created you with His own hands, whereas He has made others by machine. All
others He has created according to law."

So very true about Master. Well written, Ravi. Each time you read and read and re-read from Gospel - you get a different depth of meaning. I just cant absorb how could have a man like this walked the very earth we are on :) - just like I feel for Ramana Bhagawan. Of course, as Master says HIS GLORIES ARE LIMITLESS.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »
sanjaya/Friends,
There is a wonderful series of conversations of 'M' available in about 16 volumes or so called M,The Apostle and evangelist-This is a diary maintained by Jagabandhu who later became swami Nityatmananda;jagabandhu was trained by 'M' to maintain a diary and groomed by him.Accordingly,J maintained the diary of conversations with M exactly like how M maintained and then wrote the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.I warmly recommend this wonderful series of conversations with M,where M provides the commentary on many of Sri Ramakrishna's sayings in The Gospel.Here is an excerpt that gives a flavour of what one may find in M,The Apostle and Evangelist:

"Thakur used to pray, ‘Ma, make me like Sita.’ Rama asked Hanuman how did he find Sita in Lanka. Hanuman replied, ‘I saw only her body lying there and Yama, the God of death paying visits but returning without her.’ You see, her mind and soul were tied to Ram, in a constant remembrance of him.

"Yama’s coming but returning without her means that he doesn’t take away the gross body - he only carries away the subtle body. The mind, intellect, chitta (consciousness) and ego are portions of the subtle body. All these had been tied to Ram. What could Yama carry away then? So he came again and again, hoping to find her sometimes without the thought of Ram. Aha! what a state she was in! It is only in such a state that one can overcome desire.

"But Mahamaya doesn’t let you recognize an avatara. Only twelve rishis, Bharadwaj and others were able to recognize Ram as an avatara. The others couldn’t. How could they do so unless He let them? How amazing! They were all rishis who had attained the Essence, even they couldn’t. They said, ‘Ram is such a man of knowledge (Jnana)! Such a great man of propriety he is! How devoted he is to his father and mother!’ But the rishis, though already liberated in life, could not recognize the avatara. What a riddle!"

M. (to the devotees) — Thakur became one with anybody he met. Once he went to Kamarpukur. All the women of the locality came and surrounded him as usual. Thakur said, ‘It was as if I was ‘diluted’ into them.’ Isn’t that so? (Everybody laughs).

"During his last illness he said: ‘The Mother will no longer let me live. I have the nature of a child. I blurt out everything. That is why Mother will not let me live.’

"If everybody were to get awakened how would this world of bondage - household go on? So he said: ‘Mother is taking me away.’ And he added: ‘If I were to live a little longer, the consciousness of many others would get awakened’."

A particular Bhakta — He was himself the power of Brahman and the child of the Mother, the devotee Sri Ramakrishna of the Mother. Both of these together. I do not understand how it is possible.

M. — The same power of Brahman has taken the form of the jiva (living being) and the world. Besides He inheres all and controls from within. Bahu syam prajayey -I will become many, this too the Veda contains. Besides the Veda also says: ‘Having created the living beings and the universe, I inhere them all’ - tat srishtva tat eva anu pravishat. If that is possible why do you think it is not possible that both the bhakta and the avatara live in the same body?

"There is something else also in the Veda - dwa suparna - the fable of two birds. Two birds have perched themselves on the same one tree (body). One of the two eats both the sour and the sweet fruit, in other words, indulges in both pleasure and pain. The other bird just keeps looking on, but does not eat any fruit. It remains indifferent.

"Anything is possible by his maya-shakti.

"The bhava of being a bhakta in an avatara though looks like a jiva’s but is not really a jiva’s. Reason, a jiva is under the jurisdiction of the fruit of his actions, whereas the avatara isn’t. He is not born as a result of his actions of the past. He assumes the form of a human-being because of the desperate prayers of the devotees. He remains in the human body as long as the momentum of the force of their prayers lasts. Soon after it he dissolves himself in his Self. Before passing away Thakur said: ‘I no longer see two - I see less than that. I see Mother in all - Mother or God - Brahman Shakti.’

"He shows as though he is a jiva, but in fact the avatara doesn’t have jiva’s nature in him. The avatara is always aware of that he is God in the garb of a human being? The ordinary jiva doesn’t know that he is God. The avatara, i.e. God, acts as a human-being of his own will. Otherwise the play doesn’t get enacted, you see.

"Christ also played the part of the father and son and sometimes he talked of unity when he said, ‘I and my Father are one.’

continued....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:44:55 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »
M,The Apostle and Evangelist continued....

"Lord Krishna has said the same in the Gita: ‘To think of oneself as a jiva, as a human being, is an illusion. Only God as Father is true, the reality. He who does not know this disregards Me. He is a man of no-knowledge. What does the Gita say?"

A particular Bhakta — Avjananti mam moodhah manushim tanum ashritam, param bhavam ajanantah mum bhutamaheshwaram.

(The deluded disregard Me as one clad in human form, not knowing My higher nature as the Great Lord of beings. Gita, 9:11)

M. — When one has caught this, one is liberated. But if He doesn’t let one catch it, one can not do so. By the grace of Thakur, the bhaktas could catch him. He said to a bhakta (M.): ‘There is a vast expanse of a field with a high wall on it. There is a big hole in that wall. One can see quite far in the field through that hole.’ And then he asked: ‘Tell me what is that hole?’ The bhakta replied, ‘You yourself are that hole’. He was at once very happy. Why? Because the bhakta was able to catch him. He was no longer worried, like the parents seeing that their son is able to stand on his own. It was the same in this case. Why was he so satisfied? Because those men would now propagate him as God. This will lead to the welfare of humanity, it will gain peace. He knew who he was ‘Verily, You alone know Yourself, O Purushottama’ - swayam eva atamana atamanam vettha tvam purushottama (Gita, 10:15). The intimate disciples recognised him by his grace. That is how the men of the world come to know him - to start with through the intimate disciples, later on through the disciples of the disciples, thus the tradition continues. Later, however, this intimacy dilutes gradually, giving place to pollution. Then he assumes another body - a new incarnation. The world goes an eternally and so does the onset of the avatara. Infinite are the worlds, infinite the avataras."

M. (to the bhaktas) — Tapasya is needed. It doesn’t come about by hearing alone - one understands the essence only by meditating in a solitary place. One succeeds as soon as one has caught the false ego. Conviction in the guru’s word then ensues. ‘Faith in the word of the guru is the only way’, so said Thakur. Faith brings some eighty-five to ninety percent of success. His grace brings the rest also gradually. Tapasya is needed but it is not possible in the company of many. One cannot understand, what is the ‘ripe I’ and what is the ‘unripe I’. That’s why the tapasya and the company of sadhus is needed

Those interested may read vol 8,9 and 10 online here:
http://www.kathamrita.org/m.htm
Namaskar.